Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: How many sprays do you use on application?

Too many!

I am not in a habit to overspray myself with fragrance. Minimum of five maximum of 10 sprays. Usually at the neck, or at the back and at my wrists..

Very few. Maybe 3-4 total (for example, wrist, wrist, neck, neck--depending on what clothing I'm wearing.)

I don't like to announce my perfume right away.

I love that moment when someone sits next to you , or gives a kiss on the cheek, or hands you a file, or hovers over a computer screen with you and suddenly you catch the first whiff of his/her perfume--a scent you hadn't realized the person was wearing until you got a little closer.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 21st February 2010 at 08:44 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

fountain

1-3 tops, lapidus ph = 6

8 sprays for the lighter fumes i own, and otherwise 6 for the whole day

heavier ones just 3

I've just noticed recently that men tend to go heavier on the perfumes/colognes than women do. I find the men in my life drown out my scent because they are so heavy handed, and in any gathering I can always smell the men's scents first. I find this just mildly irritating -- the diva in me objects, while my inner feminist thinks, "oh, well...". Anybody else have this problem?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My husband tends to put on too much. Well, smell studies have shown that women have a more acute sense of smell...or more discriminating.

Blog Entries

Usually 1-3 sprays, depending on the fragrance. Youth Dew, Angel, Aromatics Elixir and their ilk only one careful spray, at the base of the neck, maybe two if I really want a big, slightly obnoxious sillage cloud around me. Most fragrances one spray behind each ear, which I then dab onto my wrists. Light fragrances and low concentrations three or four sprays, or when I want to amplify something not too heavy for evening wear.

I thought I had perfume-eating skin, maybe I don't after all, if so many of you wear 5-10 without being bothered by it...

Blog Entries

I love it when you really don't know people are wearing fragrance until you get close and then you get this wonderful aroma. I usually use 2 sprays to my hair. Splash is dabbed at wrist, behind ears, sometimes on chest. If a fragrance is really heavy, such as Michael, I may only use 1 spray.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Very few. Maybe 3-4 total (for example, wrist, wrist, neck, neck--depending on what clothing I'm wearing.)

I don't like to announce my perfume right away.

I love that moment when someone sits next to you , or gives a kiss on the cheek, or hands you a file, or hovers over a computer screen with you and suddenly you catch the first whiff of his/her perfume--a scent you hadn't realized the person was wearing until you got a little closer.
    Well said.

As a man, I tend to wear 1 or 2.

I would think that most women's scents would be projecting rather strongly with 3 or 4 sprays or more, especially when on open skin such as the wrists and neck.

It's no wonder that so many people find that their scents "fade so quickly." A couple shots to the neck will induce olfactory fatigue in the best of them. I can't find a single scent that lasts less than 6 hours on my skin, and that is detectable the whole time, with a meager spray or two. *shrug*
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'd like to say 2-3, but I really like to notice my own frag (and hope at least someone else does too) so I probably end up overapplying with 3-4 on the chest, 2 on wrists and elbow and 1 on the back of the neck...
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I use one spray to either the wrist or inside of the elbow, no matter the fragrance.

Hard for me to pick an exact number, since my nose tunes out my favorite scents rather quickly if I don't rotate them...yes, even the sillage bombs. If I know logically that a particular scent is known for its potency (Angel, Opium, etc.), but I stop smelling it soon after a decent number of sprays, I'll take that as my cue to switch to something else for a while and come back. It works, and the sillage bomb I took a break from suddenly seems a thousand times stronger than it ever did. So I know it's probably my nose, not my skin.

All that said, my base number of sprays per application is two; more for a particularly light EdT or cologne, less for those very few one-spray-wonders like Aromatics Elixir (which pervades like nerve gas). I like noticeable sillage, but not a ton, especially at work. At night on the town, I'll add an extra spray or two. Never more than five, under any circumstances.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

How much I apply varies with the scent. For some, 1 tiny dab with a roll-on! (Paris, Wrappings, Tabu) For others, 1 small spray to chest (Une Rose, Ambre Soie, FdTRB, Amouage Gold, Bois de Paradis). For most others, 3 sprays-- 2 to chest, one to upper back under clothes. For the few that fade fastest/project least, 4 or more sprays.

Basically I spray enough to smell it myself as it wafts up and for someone getting within close range to smell it, but not for people who are 3-4 feet away. Usually. Except that I've had compliments on several of my rose scents from people 3-4 feet away, so maybe I'm spraying more generously with those.

2 sprays. One on the neck and one on the wrist.

Depends on the strength and type of perfume. As a general rule, 5 sprays- either side of throat, in the cleavage and either wrist

I don't get why people spray their neck. Olfactory fatigue, anyone?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Neck sprays mean a nice smell when my husband nuzzles there......

Totally depends on the frag. If I'm wearing Le Dix, I have to be VERY careful as it's a heavy hitter, a long-laster, and can have the effect of making people choke on the train. If I'm wearing something I love that I know is going to wear out very quickly, I use more, or take a small decant with me for a top-up. Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle never lasts long, and I don't currently have a decant of that one, so I just use loads. That one isn't a cloying frag, or one that hovers about much, so I can get away with spraying that on my clothes even, for a longer-lasting effect. Medium-longevity frags I just do spray a max of 5 times (behind ears, wrists, throat, and maybe down the cleavage! Ideally, I want to smell fab, but not to the point where people are going 'oh my god, what's that SMELL???' - y'know?
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby