Code of Conduct

Question ... I like Brut? (Help)

Hey folks,

So I've been using Brut cologne/aftershave for many years now. I like the classy scent more than some of the newer ideas out there, however I admit that I am mostly ignorant of the vastness of the fragrance industry. I suppose Brut's low cost also comes into play. Most people I know do not use Brut... they opt for the more expensive, and as they say "legit", colognes. I'm surprised how Brut holds up in my environment though in competition with the other scents around here (NYC). I've been asked several times by some other men what I was wearing (a bit awkward?), and when I disclose that I am wearing Brut, their interest disappears. The other day, however, I was talking with a friend of mine who happens to be very involved in the fashion industry, and he claims I need to step it up from Brut. I really have no idea what I like. I know I like Brut, so are there are a theme of colognes similar to Brut but more... sophisticated? Not too pricey though, perhaps $40-$60. I also wouldn't mind trying something that is vanilla-based.

Thanks in advance,

ComfortablyNumb

Default Re: ... I like Brut? (Help)

Try Relax by Davidoff...
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

Armani Code

Chanel Allure Homme

They both have tonka bean in the drydown

I'm going to suggest three. None of them smells like Brut, but they're all very well done and classic or classic style like Brut is. I think none of them would be a bad choice, and each commands respect and manliness like Brut does. Others on this board will say I'm wrong to suggest the first one, Caron's Yatagan, but hell, I think it is great and would be a great step into the very classy realm. It's strong, and of course you might not like it (of course you might not like it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But I think it's fantastic) but it is really a wonderful experience and better than almost everything just being released these days. Uncommon too. It might take you a few tries to become addicted to it, which is what it took me, but with a few wearings I bet you'll be sold on it. In New York you shouldn't have a problem getting samples or shots from a tester from some store that carries it. That's the first one.

Next look for Guerlain's Habit Rouge. This has some subtle vanilla hiding in it, so it should take care of that fix for you. It came out in the sixties and is a super classic. Still, few people really know it today. It reeks of class and gets better the longer you wear it. A blend like is seldom tried today. Very old school, but also perfect always. You might not like it either, but what the hell, you asked for ideas. Habit Rouge is a good idea.

Third, try another Guerlain, one that came out only a couple years ago, L'Instant Pour Homme. This has a beautiful dryness juxtaposed with a sweetness. Several smells at the same time on you, and you'll catch the different parts of it at different moments. A fun effect. Although this one is a recent release it has the smell of long standing somehow, maybe it is the Guerlain pedigree or something. It'll have the same deep respectability of something as tried and true as Brut.

All three of these are good and you won't be wrong in any of them. Also they're classic and classic for a reason--they've survived the test of time (at least L'Instant PH does in spirit, I'd weakly argue). They would all work well for replacing Brut but still assuring you of tradition and excellent taste.

Good luck!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Explorator Dumpsterorum

This one would also be one of my definite picks for you to break away on...
    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    ...Next look for Guerlain's Habit Rouge. This has some subtle vanilla hiding in it, so it should take care of that fix for you. It came out in the sixties and is a super classic. Still, few people really know it today. It reeks of class and gets better the longer you wear it. A blend like is seldom tried today. Very old school, but also perfect always...Habit Rouge is a good idea...
    ...But my top pick suggestion for you to begin branching out with would be Pour un Homme -- a gentle giant from 1934 Caron. It's a simple vanilla-lavender classic that is very nice!

BTW, I love Brut, too -- and it puts lots of smiles on the folks. I've found though, instead of just blurting out "Uh, it's B-B-B-Brut" when the plebs ask me what cologne it is -- I'm now resorting to: "Oh, my fragrance selection today??! Why, it's just a little opus that the bhagwan's master perfumer created expressly for me during my last diplomatic visit to the Near East..."

Smile Re: ... I like Brut? (Help)

If you like Brut.. wear it!!

You said yourself that you have had men ask about the scent.. for the price..It cannot be beat!

You just need some other scents to cover all occasions!!

Rive Gauche by YSL is a more sophisticated Brut smell.. Superb for the evening wear!!

ALSO Pinnaud Clubman is a variation of Brut that can be found quite cheap and has fantastic duration.. In case you are interested!

I would recommend these to try:

M7
    Gucci Envy
    D&G ph
    Kouros
    Creed-Green Irish Tweed
    Live Jazz
    Terre D Hermes
    Guerlain-Heritage
    ----Any Chanel-------
    Last edited by deck89; 14th November 2007 at 07:59 AM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Thanks for the replies!

I'll be on the lookout for these fragrances, especially Habit Rouge. Seems to be what I'm looking for. I'll get back to you folks on what I think of it.

For some in the similar lines, try:

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Aramis Tuscany

and maybe Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar.

Hi and Welcome to Basenotes!

I don't know how other people find new scents for themselves, but what has worked for me is to start with fragrances that are in the same family as your signature scent and expand into other families if you feel the need to keep exploring.

In your case, Brut is classified by Michael Edwards as part of the Aromatic - Classical family.

Others in the same classification are:
    Aqua di Lavanda - Santa Maria Novella
    Agua Lavanda - Antonio Puig
    Antonio - Antonio Banderas
    Atlantic - Strange Invisible Perfumes
    British Sterling - Dana
    Canoe - Dana (lots of vanilla here!)
    Carthusia Uomo - Carthusia
    Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme - Dolce & Gabbana
    Francois Charles - Rance
    Hummer - Hummer
    Jade East - Regency
    No. 89 - Floris
    Rive Gauche pour Homme - Yves Saint Laurent
    Roberto Cavalli Black - Roberto Cavalli
    Scott McClintock - Jessica McClintock
    Scottish Lavender - Monotheme

Please keep in mind that, while I have several of these, I have not personally tried most of them. Your preferences will be different than mine - it is best just to test them and decide for yourself.

Also, when I started, I didn't realize that if a fragrance is somewhat successful the house will often expand the line by adding new variations with similar names - e.g. Platinum Egoiste is not the same as Egoiste nor is Hummer2 the same as Hummer. You have to be very specific when you are testing.

Good luck with your search - let us know what you picked!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

On the other hand you could be very retro cool if you switched to Old Spice.

"Hey, what's the new scent?"
    "Old Spice."
    "What? That old dreck? I thought I told you to get out of the old stuff!"
    "You told me to get out of Brut."
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I am not sure this is an accurate way to pursue scents, but what other notable fragrances are marketed in the utterly-manly or classy sort of way that Brut is?
    Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 14th November 2007 at 06:52 PM.

you mean don't want to be mistaken for a metrosexual? *wink*

by marketing alone:

Eau Sauvage
    Bvlgari Black
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Bois de Portugal
    Habit Rouge

all look classic, classy, and very manly
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 14th November 2007 at 10:46 PM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

My suggestion falls along the same lines as TwoRoads: Brut is a fougere, so you may like other fougeres (or aromatics as Michael Edwards call them) I like aromatics too. Here are my suggestions:

Paco Rabanne pour homme (wear it a while before you judge - the inital smell is sharp and strong)
    Kouros (wear it on the skin before you judge - the opening is strong)
    Equipage (just traded for it - aaaaaahhh)
    Tuscany

good luck
    mc

If you like Brut, I say wear it. Who cares what others think. And like you noted, you often get compliments on it. However, if you want a change, you cannot go wrong with the previous suggestions.

I would highly recommend Kouros. That is my favorite: very manly, classic, sexy, and oh so clean. Like noted, it does start off strong, but wait for the dry down and the magic really takes off.

Rive Gauche is another that I would recommend, along with Quorum.

Zino Davidoff is certainly one that I would try to get a sample of.

The main thing is sample a bunch and see what you like. Trust your nose. And keep on wearing that Brut. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
    You are not your perfume.

Oh, certainly I will continue to wear Brut on the the day-to-day, but at the moment I have nothing else to go to for special evenings or events.

you mean don't want to be mistaken for a metrosexual?
    Not in the slightest. I'm a simple guy of no particular extravagance, but I like to feel refined. I'm planning to enlist in the USMC in a year or so, mostly because I wouldn't feel refined or responsible enough to pursue more serious (family) ventures otherwise. I liken to a gentleman in the very classical/romantic sense. Yes, my logic has tons of holes, I know... but such is my propensity to these ends.

If Rive Gauche, Azzaro, and Tuscany are not refined enough, Eau Sauvage should definitely do the trick.

Alright, thanks folks.

I'm going to head out to Nordstrom this weekend and inquire about some of the names suggested. I don't think I can pronounce anything correctly... I am going to look like a moron. Oh well.
    --------------------------------------
    Oh, what's the difference between an "eau de toilette" and a "cologne"?
    Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 15th November 2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Give Rive Gauche a try