Code of Conduct

Default Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather blind buy?

I have and love Tuscan Leather and want something a little fresher/lighter for warmer months. Should I buy a bottle of this? Feeling frisky and don't want to order a decant that just confirms what I've read about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather blind buy?

If you like Tom Ford Tuscan Leather, and you want something else similar, I don't think you could do much better than Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather. Imagine the top being reverse engineered and repackaged, but with a base that has some added notes, which are actually good for warmer weather, I think.
    Favorites
    1. Chanel Platinum Egoiste, 1993
    2. Dior Homme Intense, 2007
    3. Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme, 2009
    4. Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, 2012
    5. Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, 2008
    6. Dior Fahrenheit, 1988

Quote Originally Posted by khulk View Post
    Should I buy a bottle of this? Feeling frisky and don't want to order a decant that just confirms what I've read about it.

You only live once! Go for it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Its quite persistent, I wouldnt wear it in the heat.
    I have smelled Tuscan Leather, Monotheme Leather, Acqua di Parma Leather and Mark Birley Charles Street.
    If anything I would wear the Mark Birley in the summer. I dont consider it that close to Tuscan Leather, but the bitter greens and coffee with the dusty raspberry would appeal to me more in moderately warm temperatures than the Acqua di Parma Leather. The AdP is still quite dense to my nose. There is definitely a thick shoe polish leather note involved. Want to smell like that in the heat? Go for it, but the citrus is a minor player in it.
    Disclaimer: Im not a fan of Tuscan Leather but own the ADP, Mark Birley and Monotheme.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective
    Latest Review: Etat Libre d`Orange – Rien

THE BIG SELLOFF! - Hermes Bel Ami / Vintage Black Trim 2011 LIDGE / Lubin L'eau Neuve / MIP EDP & more! - Updated 04/16
    Wanted: None

Thanks, all! I'm going for it.

It's so close to TL that I would find it redundant to own both. It's also not a typical summer scent. I say don't do it.

I wore Monotheme Leather in the low 80s and it was fine, so I dont see why TL wouldnt be ok at those temperatures (although TL is more ashy and may be more concentrated).

It remains to be smelled how it will fair in the mid to high 90s this summer, however

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You only live once! Go for it!
    You're an enabler.

Don't change.

Get it. It's actually not bad and wears well in hotter weather whereas the density of Tuscan Leather is far too much for the Summer weather imho
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread

It's a fresher scent. If you love Tuscan Leather, you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    I wore Monotheme Leather in the low 80s and it was fine, so I dont see why TL wouldnt be ok at those temperatures (although TL is more ashy and may be more concentrated).

It remains to be smelled how it will fair in the mid to high 90s this summer, however
    You're from OC, so we both know how hot it can get out there in the summer. Wore Tuscan Leather in the heat last summer. Not something I would want to wear everyday with that heat, yet wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    You're an enabler.

Don't change.
    But a harmless, well-meaning one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Purchased my bottle blind. Never looked back. Love this fragrance.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    It's so close to TL that I would find it redundant to own both. It's also not a typical summer scent. I say don't do it.
    I took the view that he loved Tuscan Leather, so a little redundancy would be a good thing.
    Favorites
    1. Chanel Platinum Egoiste, 1993
    2. Dior Homme Intense, 2007
    3. Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme, 2009
    4. Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, 2012
    5. Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, 2008
    6. Dior Fahrenheit, 1988

I agree with JiveHippo, this fragrance is redundant with and too similar to Tuscan Leather. I like them both, but you asked for opinions about blind buying it for summer. I would say that's not a good reason to buy it.
    STARTING ROTATION: BtV Oxford • Cologne du Parfumeur • Jaisalmer • Sel d' Vetiver • Javanese Patchouli • Azemour les Orangers • Bergamote 22 • Homme L' Eau • Bois d' Ascese • Bowmakers • Ex Idolo Thirty Three • AA Erdenstern • Boston Ivy • Bitter Rose Broken Spear • Bleu EDP • LL Santal 33 • Aventus • Jardin d' Amalfi • BtV Chelsea • Vetiver Veritas

Hard to recommend expensive blind buys. But I think you have a good idea on what it is.

It's a sharp leather freshened by citrus. The leather note is actually a little sharper and drier than in Tuscan Leather, but it is cleaner and fresher, and a bit lower volume. So I do consider it fresher. But it's still a sharp leather.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Hard to recommend expensive blind buys. But I think you have a good idea on what it is.

It's a sharp leather freshened by citrus. The leather note is actually a little sharper and drier than in Tuscan Leather, but it is cleaner and fresher, and a bit lower volume. So I do consider it fresher. But it's still a sharp leather.

cacio
    I would say the leather is sharper, but not drier. To me it's very round and kinda juicy, where the TL leather accord is rich but ashy-dry. I don't get the citrus everyone talks about. I get a subtle raspberry and a persistent sweaty rose. It also projects and lasts, both way more than TL. All that said, I think it can work in hot weather, and don't see any reason OP shouldn't buy it if he wants it.
    "Was the wood perceived as masculine, or was the hamster perceived as masculine?"
    -Renato

Quote Originally Posted by calzim View Post
    I would say the leather is sharper, but not drier. To me it's very round and kinda juicy, where the TL leather accord is rich but ashy-dry. I don't get the citrus everyone talks about. I get a subtle raspberry and a persistent sweaty rose. It also projects and lasts, both way more than TL. All that said, I think it can work in hot weather, and don't see any reason OP shouldn't buy it if he wants it.
    I also picked up on the "sweaty rose" my first wearing. I was turned off.
    I got over it after about 3-4 wearings, now I really enjoy it for its entire composition and dont focus on the one note.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective
    Latest Review: Etat Libre d`Orange – Rien

THE BIG SELLOFF! - Hermes Bel Ami / Vintage Black Trim 2011 LIDGE / Lubin L'eau Neuve / MIP EDP & more! - Updated 04/16
    Wanted: None