Code of Conduct

Default Recent buys - Rochas Lui, Canali Men & Paco PH

Going on vacation always does this to me - load up on frags. There's nothing like going to another country and trying out what's not available in your neck of the woods for whatever reason (usually dim marketing strategies). While up in Montreal, 4 scents stood out: Rochas Lui, Canali Men, Paco Rabanne PH, & Dsquared HeWood. With the exchange rate abysmally bad, I made mental notes to track these down once I got back to the States. Managed to find all for pretty cheap on Parfums1.com except HeWood which won't be released in the US til '08.

Some initial thoughts:

Rochas Lui - Never have I encountered Neroli so well balanced! Takes your breath away! Has hints of Terre D'Hermes but IMHO blows it away. This one goes to top of my list.

Canali Men - Very smooth & fruity opening but evolves to a very deep & complex. This one goes to 2nd on my list. Surprised it only garners 5 reviews.

Paco Rabanne PH - I couldn't pick out the note that drew me in at the Duty free store, but I later found out it has clove in it and I'm a sucker for clove. Reminds me of Rive Gauche PH & Obsession Men which I now see as both being influenced by Paco. The opening blast is probably too intense for me, but the midnotes & drydown make it a winner.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Recent buys - Rochas Lui, Canali Men & Paco PH

Welcome to the wonderful world of Rochas Lui's devotees.
    Sorry to wax all Irish on you, but isn't a grand fragrance? Easily one of the best buys ever.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 14th November 2007 at 09:41 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

What a coincidence, I just received Rochas Lui as well!

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Rochas Lui - Never have I encountered Neroli so well balanced! Takes your breath away! Has hints of Terre D'Hermes but IMHO blows it away. This one goes to top of my list.
    hi manicboy

I love terre d´hermes (use it very often) and have rochas lui at my list too but couldn´t test it till now. Where do you find them similar and why do you find rochas lui better now ?

When i look at osmoz they list lui in Woody-Cypre (like antaeus) & Terre is in Woody-Spicy olfactory groups. Did also recognized here that lui is often mentioned as the better GucciPH.
    Last edited by sanatik; 15th November 2007 at 12:31 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    hi manicboy

I love terre dīhermes (use it very often) and have rochas lui at my list too but couldnīt test it till now. Where do you find them similar and why do you find rochas lui better now ?

When i look at osmoz they list lui in Woody-Cypre (like antaeus) & Terre is in Woody-Spicy olfactory groups. Did also recognized here that lui is often mentioned as the better GucciPH.
    I think the concepts are similar between Terre & Lui in the Air/Earth vibe. Terre opening is more a jagged, grapefruity salvo, almost sticky. Lui goes for the heavenly & airy Neroli that intoxicates. Terre's heart and drydown go from earthy/sweet vetiver to very light cedar scent that misses the ground to some degree. Lui gets to the ground (Cedar) much earlier and deeper. Fades in a pleasant vanilla/light patchouli trail. In a word, Lui is elegant and Terre is just pleasant.

Lui has not much in common with Gucci PH. The Guc is all about peppery wood that really packs a punch. Lui is a refined animal of a different sort. Hope that helps.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Lui is underrated wonderful stuff. Very good scent.

yes that helps manicboy. thx.

I'm curious about Lui.
    Last edited by sanatik; 17th November 2007 at 02:39 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Personally, I cannot stand Terre, but Lui is absolutely rich, complex and delicious, easily one of my favorites, and that's saying a lot. One of those fragrances that can worn with almost anything, a perfect "go to"!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    hi manicboy

I love terre dīhermes (use it very often) and have rochas lui at my list too but couldnīt test it till now. Where do you find them similar and why do you find rochas lui better now ?

Very interesting comments on these. Rochas Lui and Terre D'Hermes are both very divisive scents here.

I see a faint resemblance between them, but not much. I like them both a lot, with the edge doing to TDH. Part of that is because it's by far and away my best compliment-getter! To me, they're distant relatives, though. Nor would I compare Lui to Gucci PH. But that's just me, I guess.

TDH has a certain sweetness balancing the earthy part, and I find it to be a masterful blend, enjoyable from first spray all the way thru the drydown. I also like its unusual take on citrus.

Rochas Lui seems similarly fresh, but more grassy, not sweet. Oh, and from the scent category mentioned above, I hope no one expects Lui to be anything like the powerful Antaeus.

I would certainly recommend both, but not as substitutes for one another.

Cheers, Dave