Code of Conduct

Default 30 Days Surviving On One Scent (Mugler Cologne)... Can It Be Done?

Tomorrow, I will start the biggest challenge in Basenotes history... I will commit myself to wearing one fragrance, and only one fragrance, for thirty days. That's right: No unique scents of the day. No testing of other fragrances. None of it. And I will be posting my thoughts here on this thread right here on Basenotes.

The scent chosen for this 30-day stress test is Thierry Mugler's Mugler Cologne due to its versatility. Heck, I just got two Mugler Cologne soaps in the mail today, which should ease the layering process.

Will I survive unscathed? Or will I come out battered and scarred, reaching for the Cuir Venenum on December 16? Stay tuned...

Note to mods: If you want to sticky this thread, go right ahead... this could be fun!
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Thrax

Default Re: 30 Days Surviving On One Scent (Mugler Cologne)... Can It Be Done?

Good god man.

Good luck...and make sure you re-spritz every couple hours too...lol.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Good luck!

I will keep you in my prayers - but do not hesitate to seek medical attention if you find that your chest, arms and neck start shaking uncontrollably.

The study of Perfumeolism is still relatively new but I understand that a few detox centers are being established.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Wow, the David Blaine of fragrances...

Waitaminute...isnt Mugler Cologne one of your very favorites? Not fair! I am sure people here would like to see you do this with Kouros, Knize Ten, or Miel de Bois...
    -

It can be done! I've been wearing Silver Mountain Water for almost three weeks straight and I am not getting tired of it at all. In fact, with regular use, I am picking up some very different qualities and notes. I'm sure you will have the same experience with Mugler Cologne.

You can do it!!
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post

Waitaminute...isnt Mugler Cologne one of your very favorites? Not fair! I am sure people here would like to see you do this with Kouros, Knize Ten, or Miel de Bois...
    Great idea - thanks zztop!

Closer to home is a scent that could be substituted immediately - the lowest rated fragrance in MFfan310's wardrobe is:

Blu Notte pour Homme
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

i tried this already with euphoria...you will change your mind about ever doing it again....ha ha have fun

Very cool! I am planning on doing the same thing, though limiting myself to one house rather than one fragrance. My house of choice? Jean Paul Gaultier! Should make for an interesting month!

Miel de Bois? Yes. Now that's a challenge. I can't even go 30 minutes with that one.
    You are not your perfume.

Blog Entries

Wow, I'm interested to see how you fare! I've thought about doing this myself several times with Bvlgari Black. I never go through with it because I'm afraid of burning myself out on one of my favorites.

BUT...I wish you well, lol. Mugler Cologne is a GREAT choice!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I lived almost 3 months wearing nothing other than Jil Sander's "Sun Men", so it can be done.

But you might find it will do one of two things... either cement the relationship you already have with this fragrance, OR turn you off it for at least a year until youre brave enough to revisit!
    Good luck!

Thrax

"Madness? THIS-IS-BASENOTES!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    lol... Nice.
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

A lot of people actually do this.....but I guess things are a bit different when it comes to a basenoter.

Good luck!

It can be done. In winter 2002-2003 I wore Angel exclusively for six weeks.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

God speed!

Some of us have trouble wearing the same scent for an entire day.

Mugler is a good choice since it is great but also pretty innocuous.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

LOL well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post

I guess you will if it's just for 30 days.
    As long as you are not using A*Men by thierry mugler. You won't stay more than one hour because of it's dizzy scent.

Someone had to bet me a 1000$ to do it and then i THINK i can do it because i'd be thinking about what other perfumes i would be able to buy with all that money.

Mate the distractions will be too many...but it will be good if you can hold on...depends on your will power really.....A few days ago i wore Montana (the one in blue box) and i liked it so much i thought i'd wear it for the next few days...I wore it for 3 days consecutively and then the 4th day i just couldn't wear it again...The weather keeps changing everyday...the occassions to wear a scent are so varied...One scent does it all? Not for me...Not even for you i guess but i'd look at it as a way to strengthen your mind...
    I wish ya all the best....and do keep us updated....

gupts

I wish you good luck on the quest! You will need it. If I was about to do something like that, I would at least let myself smell other things, but not give them full wearings. But this is insanity!

I think you will get olfactive fatigue after about 1 week.

Be sure to not overspray when you don't detect it anymore!

I know I couldn't...not with Mugler Cologne anyway. I'd be bored after 3 days.

Having read through the comments I'm dead sure Neil Armstrong didn't receive this much encouragement before his trip to the Moon. It means to me, this adventure is much more dangerous, so good luck, be God with you and be extremely careful!

OK... the adventure has started.

Will this adventure be forever linked to a good or bad memory? Who knows... but so far, the actual scent is as good as ever.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Good luck on your epic battle of will power ha ha. You will be fine though it should be no problem. 30 days is not really THAT long. I remember when my daughter was born and money was super tight, i survived on one scent for a whole year. Talk about boring. But i made it through the war without rations and am doing well.

As to whether or not you or I could do this, I'm not sure, but if I were to try to wear one scent exclusively for an entire month, it would also be Mugler Cologne!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post

Sign me up, i'll do any of those three if someone is my sponsor.

edit: or all three layered.
    mwahahahahaaaaaa
    Last edited by comsatzinger; 15th November 2007 at 05:48 PM.

I thought I should add, if I were to atempt this with Mugler Cologne, my 2.6oz bottle would be empty by the end of the month. I use this one with a regular frequency in the splash form and am running out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    As to whether or not you or I could do this, I'm not sure, but if I were to try to wear one scent exclusively for an entire month, it would also be Mugler Cologne!
    I'm not sure I would pick Thierry Mugler Cologne (nor am I saying I wouldn't), but I would for sure pick one versatile (duh) and without anything "sticking out": nuances which could become annoying after many many wearings... TMC is a very good choice I must say, because it is wellbehaved, has enough facettes to avoid going boring and smells divine.

Edit: Actually, I just found one I'd be intruiged to try something like that with: Sisley - Eau de Campagne
    Last edited by shifts; 15th November 2007 at 07:18 PM.

I remember last year I ended up reaching for Mugler Cologne a few days in a row, and instead of getting bored with it I ended up wearing it for maybe a week and a half. I think it can be a boring scent if you only wear it a few times, but maybe it gets better with increased wearings. (though I'm bored with it now, and I prefer Creed Original Vetiver).

I also went through a phase where I wore Silver Mountain Water maybe 20 out of 30 days.

If I had to pick something right now to wear for 30 days, it might be Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte Concentré. I've worn it a lot in the past week.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 15th November 2007 at 10:14 PM.

Lightbulb Re: 30 Days Surviving On One Scent (Mugler Cologne)... Can It Be Done?

An even greater test would be to not bathe for a month and wear mugler. Just thought I would add a little more spice to the adventure. Bwahaahaaa.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

MF you should be followed by a camera crew filming the Basenotes documentary: SuperSpritz Me
    Last edited by kbe; 16th November 2007 at 02:10 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

My concern is that you may hate Mugler Cologne afterwards. Is this a reasonable sacrifice of the scent you like?

What happened with this challenge? I would like to know if you survived........

What a resurrection! I too am curious how MFfan310 faired!

Having gone years with only two fragrances but now expanded to 15+ I don't know if I could take on this challenge myself.

Dependent

Well it says "I Feel Smelly" under his username, so my bet is that he is still wearing Mugler. Kidding!

Yeah how did you fair, MFfan310?

I know post-joining BN I had done an entire week (7 full days) on a single scent - I brought only one bottle on a holiday. That was about it.
    Last edited by MFJ; 8th January 2010 at 09:55 PM.

Congrats for your immense courage, few people I know (although, most likely, a larger section among people I know on here Basenotes and a far smaller group of people I know in the "outside Basenotes"-world) would have the actual guts to try this. Put in the same situation,
    I guess that I would be lucky enough that Mugler Cologne is, incidentally, one of my fave frags, but even so, the situation would not be much easier, since after I few days already I'll start frantically grabbing, compulsively craving and even hallucinating about the next bottle of Antaeus, Rive Gauche PH or Knize Ten- to name only a few. Please keep us in touch with the progress of your experiment.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 8th January 2010 at 10:53 PM.

i survived 3 months with this last year

AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I survived 12 months with only Polo Blue and the next 12 months with AdG a few years ago.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. This guy mffan310 must have built a lot of character

And here I thought I was a masochist... lol

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    And here I thought I was a masochist... lol
    there is also an "S" note in Mugler Cologne as we all know

Blog Entries

This needs to be on the Discovery Channel: Man vs. Cologne.

Our man's not reporting in. He's anemic, hypoxic and gaunt from weak fragrance. Send out the rescue teams, with some CdG 2 Man!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Our man's not reporting in. He's anemic, hypoxic and gaunt from weak fragrance. Send out the rescue teams, with some CdG 2 Man!
    Indeed! I enjoy that series: Man Vs Food, loads of stuff I don't get to see around here. Plus the portions... are a whole different matter! Always gets me hungry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Indeed! I enjoy that series: Man Vs Food, loads of stuff I don't get to see around here. Plus the portions... are a whole different matter! Always gets me hungry.
    I appeared on an episode of Man v. Food when he was in San Francisco for an ice cream challenge. I was in the background with the rest of the crowd. I was on camera during most of that challenge. Haha.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 9th January 2010 at 08:12 AM.

Hang in there buddy!!!

I'm sure I could happily do this with any of the scents in my wardrobe (barring the ones I own for 90's nostalgia)

Those same scents I own for 90's nostalgia, I used to wear everyday for months at a time. Cool Water and Polo Sport probably had periods where i wore nothing but, for well over a year each. Hugo by Hugo Boss was probably the same, nothing but Hugo for over a year soph/junior year of high school.

BTW Mugler is a good choice for doing this.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    I appeared on an episode of Man v. Food when he was in San Francisco for an ice cream challenge. I was in the background with the rest of the crowd. I was on camera during most of that challenge. Haha.
    This one Rawk Lee? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKWm...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    lol