Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default all purpose "anytime" fragrances - your top 2

You know the ones I'm talking about - weekend, work, out to dinner, home alone - the frags you wear when you don't have time to put a lot of thought into it - like the fragrance equivalent of a white shirt - goes with anything, anywhere, anytime.

My top 2: Caleche Eau Delicate and Aimez Moi

As I've posted previously, I am continuing to narrow down my scent collection and am currently at a grand total of 17 - this includes one Caron (Aimez moi) and one Guerlain (Philtre d' Amour) at the moment, but it has been an evolving process. After reviewing my collection, I wonder if I need to focus more on the adaptability of a scent, rather than on its distinct characteristics and how it evokes a certain mood.

My (former) out of control perfume collection kind of reminds me of having a clothes problem (the "tons of clothes, but nothing to wear" issue). So perhaps if I apply similar principles, I can fine tune my scent wardrobe the way someone would fine tune his or her closet contents. By having just a couple of playful, fun items, but invest in the basics that go with everything.

Given that idea, I'm interested in your experiences and opinions: which of your scents just seem to go with everything?

Default Re: all purpose "anytime" fragrances - your top 2

Two that seem to work just about anywhere for me are Shaal Nur and Quelques Fleurs.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Yohji and Dzing!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

No.19 edt & Fidji

CDG Soda and CDG Play
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Blog Entries

Guy Larouche Fidji and TBS Japanese Musk (especially in vintage formulation)
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Many mentioned here so far that I haven't sampled: Shaal Nur, Yohji, CDGs

Fidji mentioned twice - I have a mini EDT - need to bring that out and give it another test drive.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Nanadebary green--an herbal musk and ... I may now say the second is the fragrance I just got: Hové Rue Royale. It's like a chypre/oriental/musk (got that?). The best way to describe it is a tame half-way point between Boucheron Femme and Rochas Femme, two magnificent but slightly boisterous classics. I like tame.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

From my current wardrobe I think it would be NR for her and Iris Poudre.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Sueded Musk
    Voile D'Ambre
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

My grab it and spray scents are Schiaparelli's "Shocking", and a split between "Lady Caron" and Caron's "Montaigne". These are my go anywhere frags, and ones I wear most often in the evenings to go out, after my SOTD has worn off!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

All-purpose ?
    I'd have to go w/ Rykiel Woman, and Ava-Luxe Silk.
    Only had compliments, even from the sc ent-phobic...

All-purpose...let's see...

Yardley's Narcissus and Givenchy's L'Interdit (the new formulation) come to mind.

seattlelight, This is a great idea for a thread.

I have blatantly stolen it for the Men's forum and gave all the credit to you!

Thanks
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

A year ago I would have said Jean Couturier Coriandre and Chanel #19.

Right now I am a bit smitten -- treason! betrayal! -- it is still #19 and Balmain de Balmain. I knew BdB from long ago and I liked it bunches, but only recently after the package from one of my favorite BN friends arrived, I really came to know and to fall in love all over again with this beauty: it is versatile, multi-faceted, easily available, cheap, sweet, long-lasting, breathtaking. I can't get enough of it and recommend everyone give it a try! It has all Balmain "signature" trails and more. :toppie:

All purpose scents top 3(sorry,couldn't make it only two) are Jicky edt,Narciso Rodriguez edt and Egoiste.

Balmain de Balmain is indeed perfect! And being a Balmain it is cheap as can be so there is no need to stint on application.

My second choice for anytime scent would have been Le de Givenchy, but my supply is dwindling, but I also like Geoffrey Beene, which is a woody floral and never too much (Green Note, Bergamot, Coriander, Tarragon, Rose, Jasmine, Violet, Geranium, Oakmoss, Sandal, Musk, Civet.) It's another heavily discounted scent that I can toss in a gym bag.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 16th November 2007 at 02:29 AM. Reason: added notes

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge and L'Artisan Mûre et Musc Extrême.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Off topic real quick, tang I love that kitty, is it yours?
    Last edited by tinker424; 15th November 2007 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    Off topic real quick, tang I love that kitty, is it yours?
    Yes! We named her Diablo because "he" was a wild devil cat, until one day he had kittens and turned into one of the most affectionate cats I've ever seen. Green eyes and glossy black fur... isn't she purrrty?
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Green eyes and glossy black fur... isn't she purrrty?
    She is GORGEOUS! Our kitten "was" a boy until he went to get neutered & ended up getting spayed Mr. Fox became Jasmine.

My stepdaughter once brought home a "neutered male" who also ended up being spayed.

Anyway. Fragrance. Right now my "go to" top two are Fracas EDT (I know, but my skin kills sillage, so it ends up being reasonable on me. I swear it.) and NR for Her.

Blog Entries

Voile d' Ete is my "everyday works with everything", and Lancome Poeme also got heavy usage for the last 2 years - but now that I've discovered this addictive forum, I have tons of new scents to try, so they may not get worn anytime soon.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Hi, I'm fairly new, but I want to play too!

Patou Colony is my everyday scent, Tabac Blond for the nights I'm feeling frisky.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Voile d' Ete is my "everyday works with everything"...
    The other day I ordered a bottle of Voile d'Ete blind, I hope I love it too.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dulci View Post
    Yay! More kids on the playground makes for more fun! Welcome, Dulci!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Patou Colony - oh, wow, now I've really got to get into my samples.

Many scents mentioned here that I'm not familiar with - that's what I was hoping for!

Aww, I love tuxedo cats.

My two scents...Musc Ravageur and Tabac Blond.

At the moment - Bond 'West Side' and Caron 'Parfum Sacre'. Just keep coming back to these - whenever I feel like it!

Love the puss cat! We are getting two kittens at Christmas! Can't wait. We are a cat lovin' family!
    :bounce:
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” Tallulah Bankhead - Actress

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dulci View Post

Patou Colony is my everyday scent, Tabac Blond for the nights I'm feeling frisky.

Dulci - Let me know how you like it. If for some reason you don't I'll buy it from you :-)
    (Just joking) But in all seriousness - I am stocking up since it has been discontinued - wonder how many bottles are still left out there in discount warehouses?
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I surprise myself by realizing my two most versatile scents are Chanel no 5 edt and Chanel no. 19 edt... just further evidence that I am a deep down Chanel slut...I can no longer deny it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Red face Re: all purpose "anytime" fragrances - your top 2

Gads that is hard, Narciso Rodriguez edt, and Chanel Gardenia and Nuits de noho and loving BBW Moonlight Path

The scents I love the best are often wildly unsuitable. (That may be why I love them so.)
    Diorella and Cristobal are always well behaved and can go anywhere, and when I need an aura of polish 31 Rue Cambon does the trick.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Greens, musks, chypres...I expected aldehydes to be mentioned more frequently and I'm surprised they're so under-represented. Interesting.

Hi Kyra - I am trying to keep the wildly unsuitable, but exciting, scents to a minimum because I find that I just don't wear them very frequently because they are so ......well, unsuitable is a great description! I'm going to start another thread, as a spinoff -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    The scents I love the best are often wildly unsuitable. (That may be why I love them so.)
    Same here! I love sniffing Ava Luxe Madame X on my arm at the grocery store, lol.

My anytime frags: SJP Lovely, BBW Japanese Cherry Blossom, Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light, Philosophy Amazing Grace. All four are always well-received and not overwhelming.

I'm rather new to the perfume addiction thing so I actually don't have a great number of full bottles/holy grails. I'm still testing. But I did find some loves this summer that turned into staples. Therefore, I'll have to give my spring/summer anytime 2:
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Premier Figuier. I just find it so classic. I've been complimented on it many times when I wore it to work, and even though it's an everyday staple I still get excited when I wear it.
    IO by Carthusia - I was addicted to this almost upon first sniff. I recieved a sample from a fellow BNer, gave it a spritz, and said to myself "this is what summer calls for." It's the mint in it. I don't even know if it's an official note, but it's very present for me (though not overbearing.) I absolutely hate being hot and the refreshing mint and sheer florals are all that's refreshing about summer.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Pleasures & Angel
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

No one is ever offended by No. 19. It works equally well in business meetings and grocery stores.
    Ayala Moriel Palas Atena is an Oriental that blends well with the skin and manages to remain polite in public yet satisfy this perfume junkie.

I'm wearing SL's Fleur d'oranger a lot this days...and nights. Bought it a few months ago and I'm halfway through the bottle...Creed's FdTRB...get lots of compliments on that too! Evenings I wear Iris Poudre or my current sample of Narcisse Noir (craving a bottle of that)
    Last edited by serene111; 16th November 2007 at 12:52 PM.

Like Kyra I too turn to Cristobal for my stand-by, go anywhere fragrance.
    AA Flora Nerolia is the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Yay! More kids on the playground makes for more fun! Welcome, Dulci!
    Thanks for the welcome, I just know I'll love it here.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulci

Dulci - Let me know how you like it. If for some reason you don't I'll buy it from you :-)
    (Just joking) But in all seriousness - I am stocking up since it has been discontinued - wonder how many bottles are still left out there in discount warehouses?
    I know what you mean about stocking up, I panicked and bought another bottle of Colony recently when I noticed 1stperfume put it on clearance. I don't ever want to be without it!

Lots of good ideas in this thread, I'm taking notes...

Quote Originally Posted by pellen View Post
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Premier Figuier. I just find it so classic. I've been complimented on it many times when I wore it to work, and even though it's an everyday staple I still get excited when I wear it.....
    ....I'm right there right now too!!

The other current obsession is Ambre Russe...when it isn't 1000 or Geranium Bourbon or Pink Sugar...

...oh I give up!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

For me, I go to Origins Ginger essence and Estee Lauder Aliage.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I surprise myself by realizing my two most versatile scents are Chanel no 5 edt and Chanel no. 19 edt... just further evidence that I am a deep down Chanel slut...I can no longer deny it.
    LOL! Me, too. I would love to have the new Premiere version of No 5, but they pulled it off the shelves until next year and I can't find it online. I hope they don't stick in those awful chemical sunscreens they put in some of their newer scents, they make me sick.

For me, Flowerbomb (so much so for the past 2-3 years that I think it's time for a serious break, to recapture the magic) and let's see, Jicky?
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

In current use, I only have one go-to fragrance. L'Artisan Vanilia. So delicious, yet not really foody. I know when I spray this on, I will enjoy it, and not have to worry about what people around me think. It's very pleasing and comforting, too.

Burberry B rit and Cristobol.

Hypnotic Poison is my "I don't know what to wear for x situation fragrance."
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

When I'm dithering and need to grab a safe frag that will do for anything, it is usually Fleurs d'Oranger by SL, but I get a bit bored with its safeness. Others that I rely on to see me through any situation:

Les Nuits d'Hadrien
    Miss Dior
    Perles de Lalique
    La Perla
    And last but by no means least, any of the Jo Malone colognes.

If in doubt, I tend to avoid using strong tuberose. It can be an aquired taste. I wear tuberose a lot at home, but not for 'out'.

Eau Parfumee au The Rouge and Premier Figuire Extreme. I've worn both to work (on a public library reference desk, where scent can be an issue) without problem, and also wear them on 'comfort' days.

I cannot resist; I want to play. My anytime go-to fragrances, at least today, are Ambre Russe and Songes. I cannot, just cannot, live without them.
    --------------------------------------
    Yes, I want to play! My two loves, my go-to fragrances, at least today, are Ambre Russe and Songes.
    Last edited by Therese; 18th November 2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi Therese, and welcome to Basenotes!

Hope you will like it here, and post a lot!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Lolita Lempicka EDP for winter season and Paco Rabanne "Ultraviolet" for warmer seasons

These days: D&G Light Blue and DKNY Be Delicious...this will change soon, I'm sure.

Oh my goodness Tovah, what are those amazing flowers in your pic?

Note to self: stay on thread!
    Lots of good ideas popping up on these posts - lots I'll have to sample.
    Go-to frags at the moment are Gres Cabaret and Madame Rochas and I also love Vol De Nuit in the winter and Jicky and Un Jardin en Mediterranee in summer.

Until now, VdN has been the bottle I'd pick up on a chilly morning if I couldn't make my mind up, but lately I've been loving the salty Cabaret and soapy Madame. Oh and I'm liking Blue Grass too. I think the slightly herbal element is what makes them good. But the little bottle of Voile d'Ambre in my handbag has been getting a workout too...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

-Aimez Moi
    -Champs-Elysées

I have some more "anytime" fragrances to

Methinks I need to give Champ Elysees a try. It has come up on the "delicate, feminine scents" thread and also in this one. Also, I love the name Vocalise. There are so many great suggestions from everyone, I truly look forward to getting started with the exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Methinks I need to give Champ Elysees a try. It has come up on the "delicate, feminine scents" thread and also in this one. Also, I love the name Vocalise. There are so many great suggestions from everyone, I truly look forward to getting started with the exploration.
    You should try it! I's a gorgeous mimosa-scent, extremely feminine and delicate. You can wear it anytime - it's also one of the few scents I get comments on It fits any age to

Lately it's vintage Mitsouko edt (so soft and autumnal, I love it) and Chergui.

In warmer weather, Caleche (there's some aldehydes for you!) and Balmain de Balmain.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I surprise myself by realizing my two most versatile scents are Chanel no 5 edt and Chanel no. 19 edt...
    I have to agree, I'm finding no 5 edt very easy to wear and it works for most occasions. My second choice at the moment would be Bulgari The Rouge.

polo double black and vera wang for men
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors