Code of Conduct

Default Ysl Rive Gauche or M7

Hello fellow basenoters.
    I have heard a lot of positive statements in this board concerning these two fragrances, but i would like to know which do you find better from the two.

Talking Re: Ysl Rive Gauche or M7

m7 without the shadow of the doubt, It smells nicer, newer, and it's sexy as hell!!!.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Default Re: Ysl Rive Gauche or M7

Quote Originally Posted by madridbatabidd View Post
    m7 without the shadow of the doubt, It smells nicer, newer, and it's sexy as hell!!!.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    Yes.
    Triple Yes
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Rive Gauche is more versatile.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Depends upon which you like better/dislike more: the somewhat medicinal oud note in M7 or the cumin note in Rive Gauche.
    (Both of these notes in question are deal makers/breakers, IMHO.)
    My best advice: TRY EACH FRAG BEFORE BUYING.

That said, M7's easier to swap away (should you not like it) than is Rive Gauche.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 15th November 2007 at 12:24 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ek6070 View Post
    Hello fellow basenoters.
    I have heard a lot of positive statements in this board concerning these two fragrances, but i would like to know which do you find better from the two.
    Both are really nice fragrances and well worth considering.

M7 is very long lasting and very sweet. It is primarily a romantic evening fragrance. There are a certain percentage of people who find the fragrance very medical smelling. I also find the extreme sweetness overpowering when the weather is warm.

Rive Gauche does not have nearly the longevity of M7, though its longevity is not bad. I would consider it more of a day fragrance, something you could comfortably wear to work and/or less romantic situations. I find the fragrance very wearable year round.

In the end I think they are both extremely good fragrances but with very different uses. Rive Gauche is by far the more versatile and M7 is the more romantic. I would recommend both, but if you can only get one, figure out what type of fragrance you need.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Red face Re: Ysl Rive Gauche or M7

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Triple Yes
    yes yes yes yes
    Fourth yes then, hihi.
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 15th November 2007 at 01:11 PM.

M7. M7. M7.

Rive Gauche if you want the woman next to you to say, "What smells like B.O.??" That might make for a good laugh though, so that would be worth it.

Thanks Guys i'll go for the M7, i've always read positive things about both fragrances, but i have never seen a head to head comparison. thanx for the info M7 it is

You can't compare M7 with Rive Gauche.

If you like them both, buy them.

I own both. In my personal opinion, if I could only wear one of these every day of the year, Rive Gauche is easily the most versatile scent.

M7 is a cool weather only scent to me. RG is year around.

They're both lady killers.

I agree with everyone else that these are two great fragrances. The edge goes to Rive Gauche to me, again because of versatility. Though M7 is really nice.

I have RG and like it. M7 is coming soon through a swap. Hope it smells better than the sample I have.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Based on the last 3 postings, it can be safely said that guys in Georgia are among the best smelling in all the land!

It's difficult to compare the 2 since they are such different scents to me, and if given the change to choose only one of the two, i'd go for RG, but that should never take any of M7's qualities away.

For what it's worth, I bought Rive Gauche before M7. I mainly went for M7 after the discontinuation rumors and the decreasing availability online at the time, but I have been wearing M7 a lot more than Rive Gauche recently. Even though Rive Gauche is more versatile (day or night, formal or casual, any season)

Not sure which one if you could only have one though. Both of them are winners.

They are both nice.RG is more versatile.

Rive Gauche Intense!

I have M7 too, but i like RG intense more.

But both have wonderful projection / sillage, and good lasting power

I would say M7 is the way to go. It is so strange and unique, just like me!! It is a little warmer in some way than Rive Gauche. It wins my pick.

I haven't really tried Rive Gauche Pour Homme yet, although I have a bottle just waiting. Perhaps it's time to try it!

I purchased M7 mainly because of the ad . . . and NO, I didn't really think that wearing a certain fragrance could put me in the same class as Samuel de Cubber! I also purchased it because it's becoming increasingly less available here in the USA . . . that may not be a consideration in other countries, but the day may come when M7 is not available at all in the United States. Finally, I would have to say that Yves Saint Laurent's OPIUM POUR HOMME (EDT version) is probably my NUMBER ONE favorite fragrance!

I was a bit disappointed in M7. I mean, I like it and all, but it reminds me a bit of Vicks Vap-O-Rub . . . which is NOT sexy to my nose! That said, the WORST YSL fragrance is probably better than 90% of the rest of the stuff on the market!

I remember those classic television commercials for the original RIVE GAUCHE for women back in the 1970s: "Rive Gauche, Rive Gauche, Rive Gauche de Paris!" Why it took them so long to release a version for men remains a mystery to me. :-)

I have "M7 Fresh" and "Rive Gauche". They have different qualities.
    M7 is more about a luxurious and unique woody scent.
    Rive Gauche is a clean aromatic scent with some rustic note in it.
    Recommend testing before any decisions. They can make you disappointed.

Red face Re: Ysl Rive Gauche or M7

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post
    I was a bit disappointed in M7. I mean, I like it and all, but it reminds me a bit of Vicks Vap-O-Rub . . . which is NOT sexy to my nose!
    For what do you say and, I far as I know your tastes in perfumes, amigo mio, you probably love the "rive gauche", is soft, kind of light wood with hint of aniseed and lavender.
    For me, It just smell oldfashioned, overrated.
    I really suit M7, you def. need to have a second or third try because of the complexity in the formula, I could compare it with L'eau bleue, not regardin the smell and notes, but for sure, in deepness and extraordinary complexivity. Both masterpieces for me.

Chao guapo

That's like saying who do you love more, your mother or your father. Each are groundbreaking and life altering and each has their own distinctive aura/vibe. Yes, M7 is a cold weather scent and RG is an all-year round scent so RG gets more wearings than M7. But in the dead of winter, nothing works better than M7 for a romantic evening out.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Cool Re: Ysl Rive Gauche or M7

For what do you say and, I far as I know your tastes in perfumes, amigo mio, you probably love the "rive gauche", is soft, kind of light wood with hint of aniseed and lavender.
    For me, It just smell oldfashioned, overrated.
    I really suit M7, you def. need to have a second or third try because of the complexity in the formula, I could compare it with L'eau bleue, not regardin the smell and notes, but for sure, in deepness and extraordinary complexivity. Both masterpieces for me.

Chao guapo
    WOW! Thanks, Luis! (I would say "gracias," but I don't want another furor to erupt!)

I will try that RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME in the next day or so, and will get back to you with what I think!

It seems that M7 must be an "acquired taste." My disappointment probably stems from the fact that I loved OPIUM POUR HOMME so much, from the very first whiff, that I was hoping for another experience like that with another YSL fragrance. Each fragrance deserves to be judged on its own merits!

Talking Re: Ysl Rive Gauche or M7

WOW! Thanks, Luis! (I would say "gracias," but I don't want another furor to erupt!)

I will try that RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME in the next day or so, and will get back to you with what I think!

It seems that M7 must be an "acquired taste." My disappointment probably stems from the fact that I loved OPIUM POUR HOMME so much, from the very first whiff, that I was hoping for another experience like that with another YSL fragrance. Each fragrance deserves to be judged on its own merits!
    Opium pour homme is rich, powerful and highly spicy on my nose.
    On m7 the vetiver goes sharply medicinal.
    Try it again and you start to like it more.
    I'm going to tell you a secret:
    Figure out how big crush I do have with this perfume, that, just smell it in a men, makes me, automaticly, follow him on the street for a few seconds, till my mind slap me inner and told me off.
    Denada
    Besitos..

I'd say M7's more syrupy/candy-like than woody. Very thick and very sweet. Imagine Lutens' Chypre Rouge laced with Gucci PH. M7's like eating cakes - they may taste delicious first but you'll prolly soon get sick of them esp. if you eat a lot...
    Rive Gauche is def. more versatile imo and if you buy the intense version longevity is great as well.

Figure out how big crush I do have with this perfume, that, just smell it in a men, makes me, automaticly, follow him on the street for a few seconds, till my mind slap me inner and told me off.
    Hm . . . well, now I know what I definitely should wear whenever we meet each other in person! ;-)

Its difficult.

As has been said already, M7 is great for colder weather. Rive Gauche is more versatile. I cant pick a winner.

M7 is too sweet, it smell's like a woman's fragrance.

Rive Gauche is much better IMO, works well all year round, very good casually and could moonlight as a more "formal" frag for nights out.

Rive Gauche is more versatile for day or night, whereas M7 is better for night. Both are excellent fragrances. Rive Gauche is one of best designer barbershop scents that exists and I've been complimented multiple times wearing it. M7 reminds me of those old Calvin Klein ads in the 90's where (too) young teens were posing seductively in front of fake wood paneling - looked like illicit acts about to be performed in somebody's basement. I feel sleazy wearing M7 - in a good way.

This question does not make sense to me. Both scents are great, unique, strong and different. why chosing of you can get them both. especially for frag collectors they are good items to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    This question does not make sense to me. Both scents are great, unique, strong and different. why chosing of you can get them both. especially for frag collectors they are good items to have.
    Agree, come spring rive gauche is on the top of my list.

without a doubt YSL Rive Gauche...it is also sexy and you can wear it everyday...M7 you can´t wear this everyday...it is thick...and on a hot summer day is M7 the killer...Rive Gauche can worn the whole seasons.

Get them both if you can, Rive Gauche is the most versatile if you must pick one, but they are both so different and so good that its worth having them both in your wardrobe.

@ xx396, that´s true, get both...

YES, YES, YES!!!!

100% in agreement!
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

seeing as rive gauche smells like ass and m7 smells great, i'd go with the later. ok, so it doesn't literally smell like ass, i just dislike it with a firey passion.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I ended up buying both fragrances, although i managed to sample M7 first, so my first impression of it was very medicinal, and 45 mins later the medicinal odour faded and i was left with this sweet woody scent, and this fragrance grows on me more each time i wear it. Out of all the scents i own, to name a few Armani code, Narciso Rodriguez, Baldessarini, Hugo XY, Tsar, Cool water, Kiton Black etc, All these scents are starting to gather dust since i've been introduced to M7. I wish i could say the same for Rive Gauche, unfortunately none of the stores carry this product so there was no way i could test this fragrance beforehand, so a can had to be specially ordered, when i received it immediately i noticed that it resembled Brut for men, which is not a lousy fragrance, but not up to the standard expected from a design house such as YSL. I really tried to like this fragrance, but it seems like the ingredients used in Rive Gauche smells to similar to that found in products such as Brut which cost a fraction of the price, it seem as if this fragranced was just pushed out the door. Now M7 thats another beast altogether.

m7 beats rive gauche by tko!

Default Rive Gauche Pour Homme

I hate to burst everyone's M7 love balloon, but for me the winner is RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME.

There is something in M7 that I've never cared for, perhaps it's the "agarwood." Also, M7 (like too many Yves Saint-Laurent fragrances) makes too much use of musk. I'm not a big fan of musk because it's become too common and is too strong.

I like STRONG fragrances, with lots and lots of sillage. You know the type: the kind that you put on and can be smelt across a large room. RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME definitely fills the bill in that regard. I cannot believe that there's an "Intense" version of this available! That's almost frightening! The regular version is one of the strongest I've ever worn! I asked a guy outside how he liked my cologne this past Saturday, which was my first day wearing the stuff. He said that it was really strong (and I looked at his eyes, and it looked like he was about to FAINT!). Although I am one of those people who likes to apply his fragrances by the QUART, and I had just put on RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME, we were OUTSIDE at the time! ;-)

i'm talking about in the context of this thread: the op asked for opinions on both, then purchased both and in their opinion, m7 is the winner!

Quote Originally Posted by ek6070 View Post
    I ended up buying both fragrances, although i managed to sample M7 first, so my first impression of it was very medicinal, and 45 mins later the medicinal odour faded and i was left with this sweet woody scent, and this fragrance grows on me more each time i wear it. Out of all the scents i own, to name a few Armani code, Narciso Rodriguez, Baldessarini, Hugo XY, Tsar, Cool water, Kiton Black etc, All these scents are starting to gather dust since i've been introduced to M7. I wish i could say the same for Rive Gauche, unfortunately none of the stores carry this product so there was no way i could test this fragrance beforehand, so a can had to be specially ordered, when i received it immediately i noticed that it resembled Brut for men, which is not a lousy fragrance, but not up to the standard expected from a design house such as YSL. I really tried to like this fragrance, but it seems like the ingredients used in Rive Gauche smells to similar to that found in products such as Brut which cost a fraction of the price, it seem as if this fragranced was just pushed out the door. Now M7 thats another beast altogether.
    also, your name and avatar is spot on!
    I asked a guy outside how he liked my cologne this past Saturday, which was my first day wearing the stuff. He said that it was really strong (and I looked at his eyes, and it looked like he was about to FAINT!).
    obviously people look for different things in their choice of scent...
    Last edited by chad278; 22nd November 2007 at 05:41 AM.

Default Re: Rive Gauche Pour Homme

I hate to burst everyone's M7 love balloon, but for me the winner is RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME.

There is something in M7 that I've never cared for, perhaps it's the "agarwood." Also, M7 (like too many Yves Saint-Laurent fragrances) makes too much use of musk. I'm not a big fan of musk because it's become too common and is too strong.

I like STRONG fragrances, with lots and lots of sillage. You know the type: the kind that you put on and can be smelt across a large room. RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME definitely fills the bill in that regard. I cannot believe that there's an "Intense" version of this available! That's almost frightening! The regular version is one of the strongest I've ever worn! I asked a guy outside how he liked my cologne this past Saturday, which was my first day wearing the stuff. He said that it was really strong (and I looked at his eyes, and it looked like he was about to FAINT!). Although I am one of those people who likes to apply his fragrances by the QUART, and I had just put on RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME, we were OUTSIDE at the time! ;-)

OVERSPRAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *calls the Basenote police*