Code of Conduct

Default Perfumers in Europe?

I relocated to Lyon, France from the US with the ultimate goal of becoming "un nez", a nose. I go out everyday (smelling and learning of course), talking with fragrance shop owners and sales people, looking for an outlet here. I'd love for some advice, words of wisdom, and I don't know... some sense of hope. During my winter break away from studying French, I'm going to spend a month in Grasse hoping to make make some connections there. Meanwhile, does anyone know anyone from the industry? Many thanks.

- Alex

PS. I know I posted something like this in my re-intro. Perhaps this post will have a little more traffic!
    Last edited by scentophile; 15th November 2007 at 02:54 PM.

Default Re: Perfumers in Europe?

I wonder who is writing this blog?
    http://1000flowers.wordpress.com/2007/07/23/144/
    --------------------------------------
    http://www.prodarom.fr/UK/gip-accueil.htm
    --------------------------------------
    http://ingredients.givaudan.com/givc...extfmt=default
    Last edited by dcampen; 15th November 2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Thanks! I know about GIP. I was looking into a distant future with ISIPCA, but I found out today that their perfumery school is ONLY open to people of French descent. They have another track for foreigners, but the fragrance design training is extremely watered down based on the syllabus that I saw. I'm going to make my way to Versailles and make my plea in a month or two .

I know about Givaudan as well. It was this school that got me to gome to Europe, but I think they have changed their application process since the last time I checked 2 years ago. Jeez louise look at the stats/requirements now: Without advertising or active recruitment, Givaudan receives over 200 applications for their Perfumery School each year. Givaudan does not accept tuition for training; acceptance is by invitation only. On the average, Givaudan selects only five new students every eighteen months, who dedicate at a minimum three years of study to become a Junior Perfumer.

But I do need an internship, a mentor something. I'll try to make contact with the author of that blog to get more information. Thanks!

Hi, I have made contact with a very well respected and well known European perfumer and chemist with an impeccable reputation. He has co-written numerous educational papers and books on perfumery and olfaction many of which are now sought after and are very rare. If you wish you may email me privately and I will give you more details. He also teaches perfumery privately. He specializes in natural perfumery which is what I do, but he is trained in conventional perfumery also. He is in the later part of his life now it was pure fate that I made contact with him, he is the nicest man you could meet and I must admit I was rather chuffed that he was impressed with my work. He was studying perfumery before I was even born!!!
    You may contact me via my website which is linked below. If you are very serious about learning perfumery I will ask him if I may pass on his phone number and home address to you.

Quote Originally Posted by RuRu View Post
    Hi, I have made contact with a very well respected and well known European perfumer and chemist with an impeccable reputation. He has co-written numerous educational papers and books on perfumery and olfaction many of which are now sought after and are very rare. If you wish you may email me privately and I will give you more details. He also teaches perfumery privately. He specializes in natural perfumery which is what I do, but he is trained in conventional perfumery also. He is in the later part of his life now it was pure fate that I made contact with him, he is the nicest man you could meet and I must admit I was rather chuffed that he was impressed with my work. He was studying perfumery before I was even born!!!
    You may contact me via my website which is linked below. If you are very serious about learning perfumery I will ask him if I may pass on his phone number and home address to you.
    Thanks! I sent you an email.