Code of Conduct

Default SMN Pot Pourri - Update

I did post this on my previous thread, but because the last post on there was from me, the system did an 'automerged doublepost' and it didn't pop my thread to the top of the postings, it left it below in no man's land where it probably would never have been read again. I could have left it where it was, but you guys who were kind enough to answer my original post, might have thought that I was a bit ungrateful for not giving you an update.

I rang the London boutique this afternoon and spoke to a really helpful guy called Barney. He did tell me his full Slovenian name but he said that Barney is easier to say.

Anyway, he is going to pop a scented card in the post to me of the Pot Pourri, along with a number of others that they do including the new Tobacco Toscana that has only been out for about a week. He's also including a strip of the Opoponax, Cuba, Ginestre, Maresciala and one or two others. He kept suggesting them and me being a perfume lover, I never said no.

Can't wait for the envelope to drop onto my doormat.

Barry

Default Re: SMN Pot Pourri - Update

Sounds exciting! They definitely have unique scents...let us know what you think when you get them. I find a lot of their stuff to be quite overpowering at first, but once you give it time to settle in, their uniqueness shines. I'm still not a fan of Potpourri's booziness, but its definitely not like anything else I've ever smelled.

Barry -

Congratulations on discovering the wonderful world of Santa Maria Novella. This line has some of my favourite scents: the aformentioned Potpourri; Sandalo - a strong and clear scent of sandawood, very much like the best of Indian incense; Vetiver - a deep and woody scent; Muscio - the best musk fragrance on the market; Peau d'Espagne - the dirtiest, darkest leather one can imagine; Cuba - cigars and leather. The Tobacco Tuscano could be very interesting as well. Keep us posted on your reactions to these scents.

Sofresh and opalsdad, I certainly will keep you posted about my thoughts on the scents.

Barry

i want to know about vanilla

Well Barney was true to his word, the scent strips have arrived in the post today. He sellotaped them to an A4 sheet of paper and folded it so that the scents wouldn't mingle too much.

The strips that he sent me are...Pot Pourri, Maresciala, Opoponax,Tuscan Tobacco, Vetiver, Nostalgia, Ginestra and Melograno.

I am going to sit down shortly and have a sniffing session with them.

Barry

Exciting! I'm not sure how much development the SMN fragrances goes through, but I've gotten the impression that they are quite linear so your experience will probably be true to the scents. Apart from one: Nostalgia. The only I own so far (also have a decant of Vetiver) and that one DOES change a whole lot, please take that into account here.

Thanks shifts, although I find that the fragrance development on the paper splits is always different to on my skin. I have quite an oily skin and it brings out notes that other people don't seem to get because their skin is drier.

Barry

Nostalgia has to be worn to be believed.. it's simply astounding.. in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
    Nostalgia has to be worn to be believed.. it's simply astounding.. in a good way.
    You are such a tempter..LOL! I can see that I am going to have to get my act together and visit the boutique in London.

Barry

don't forget to try frangipane

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    don't forget to try frangipane
    I remembered your comments about the Frangipane on another thread or in the directory and it was one of the scents that I asked Barney to spray on a strip for me. He must have forgotten.

Barry

thank you, Barry.. don't fall for the hype, you know? Buy what you like. A lot of people despise the stuff I love (from bands like Rush to fragrances)..

Nostalgia, is in my top 5 all-time scents... Potpourri also. I also like other lines like L'Artisan Mechant Loup, and others.

With SMN, though, you really do have to wear it before you judge it, or wear before you buy it. The only reason I have tried so many is because I have ordered samples, and gotten free decants from various websites of SMN stuff.

The SMNs I have bought fully, in bottles, is PotPourri, Vaniglia (gift for a woman.. and what a classy gift it was, so she tells me to this day), Nostalgia, Acqua Di Cuba (a bit flowery for my tastes, loved the sample, still wear it), Peau d'Espagne, and Musk (scent is simply, ridiculously edible.. so different from other Musks, receive loads of compliments on it). As you can see, I do not own a lot of SMN stuff, but I have tried over 30 of their scents. I did not care for their Russian Cologne (it smells like everything else) or Pomegranate.

To sum up how I feel about SMN.. a couple of years ago, I bought a dreadful blind buy.. Peau d'Espagne from SMN. I received it, smelled it and was disgusted. I hated it. I immediately swapped it on basenotes to a great guy from Russia.

I made a mistake. I was new to the niche fragrance world and was into Creeds, etc (still like Creed). The SMN just shattered my idea of what cologne should be. It was so weird, the Peau d'Espagne. I traded it away.

3 months later, a lady I knew asked about that fragrance, why she had not smelled it on me. I told her I traded it away (lady from work, not a girlfriend, but I made her smell it for an honest opinion, she liked it "overall."). The lady stated she remembered really liking it a lot, saying "It smells like something I like to be around, no offense for being so bold.." this was a genuine comment, not a flirtation. I realized I had judged the frag too quickly and did not give it a chance. I got a free sample of it from lafcony (or some website, cannot remember exactly, maybe eluxury), in a small vial, and wore it again. I still hated it, but 6 hours later, I smelled it on myself and realized I loved it. Weird, right? I asked the lady @ work to smell it next time I wore it to work and she said, "Yep.. that's it.. I am getting my husband that no matter what it costs..please write down the .. "

Long story short, I sort of became hooked on the uniqueness of Santa Maria Novella's stuff. I start sampling more and more things and sometimes it worked, other times not (like Russian Cologne, cliche' and not unique, even for 1900s--smelled like so many other things from that time).

I liked the way Peau d'Espagne challenged me and changed what I think about fragrances.. I hated the stuff, then smelled it later in the day, by accident, and realized I loved it. It had changed during the day and had become what it was supposed to be.. smoky leather with a tinge of spice.

To this day, I regret trading the bottle away of that stuff, because I cannot afford plunking down $90+ USD for bottles of SMN. The above is just one example of why I find SMN so intriguing. I don't get the drydown changes from Creed's common stuff like Himalaya as I do with most SMNs.. I place SMN in a class above a lot of other makers of fragrance while admitting I am not expert.. I simply know what I like.

Oh yeah, that lady @ work also fell over for Nostalgia and made her friends smell my arm one day while wearing it.. and that was from a sample at that time. I guess we did flirt a little bit at work, but it was all in fun.. she bounced stuff off me for her husband (shirts, music, etc), and I valued her opinion on stuff both work-related and social stuff.. Since the lady was older than me, really beautiful, and accomplished in her life (kids, job, awards, etc), I guess she made me think SMN was classy.. I figured if she and her corporate friends like the stuff, that meant it was good, and besides, I liked the stuff anyway(!).. it just solidified my belief all the more. When smelling Nostalgia, a lady said, "I LOVVVEEE that.. it smells like vanilla, leather.. what is it????" I have never gotten any reaction like that from any other fragrance in my life. She was asked to smell it.
    Last edited by blah114; 17th November 2007 at 08:01 PM.

Blah, I don't think that there is a lot of hype concerning SMN, unlike many of the other houses. SMN don't need to advertise their products because they have stood the test of time. The more that I am finding out about this house, the more interested I am getting.

Barry

One could argue SMN's "lack of hype" is in fact their hype, but I do not believe so. I think they are way overpriced for what you get, same with Creed, but I still think they are among the best as well. Nostalgia is slowly becoming my favourite deal from them, but I still love PotPourri. I get "timelessness" from their frags. For me, it's more about how I feel vs what others smell.. when wearing SMN. I also get pleasure out of stuff like 212 for Men.. if it's good, it's GOOD.. but SMN truly is a class above the rest. For what it is worth, Lafcony has in fact sent me samples. I am sure if you call them, they might send you small samples of desired scents, less shipping. Good luck.

If you can please let me know what you do, I would appreciate it. I am curious to hear what you think. I also might be willing to decant some stuff for you if I can get small decant samplers. Let me know. Just helping a guy out, I don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
    One could argue SMN's "lack of hype" is in fact their hype, but I do not believe so. I think they are way overpriced for what you get, same with Creed, but I still think they are among the best as well. Nostalgia is slowly becoming my favourite deal from them, but I still love PotPourri. I get "timelessness" from their frags. For me, it's more about how I feel vs what others smell.. when wearing SMN. I also get pleasure out of stuff like 212 for Men.. if it's good, it's GOOD.. but SMN truly is a class above the rest. For what it is worth, Lafcony has in fact sent me samples. I am sure if you call them, they might send you small samples of desired scents, less shipping. Good luck.

If you can please let me know what you do, I would appreciate it. I am curious to hear what you think. I also might be willing to decant some stuff for you if I can get small decant samplers. Let me know. Just helping a guy out, I don't mind.
    Thanks blah, I have sent you a PM.

Barry