Code of Conduct

Default Something similar to Prada Men...

Well, I got a small test vial of Prada for men and really enjoy it and it's slightly feminine soapy -sweet barbershop note. I'm still relatively new to this whole cologne thing, and up until now have tended to go for spicy or gourmand scents (Santana, Salvador Dali, Bmen, etc). I need a clean scent, although I'm not a big fan of most aquatics/designer "clean scents" I've smelled.

So, why don't I just pick up some Prada, then? Well, it's the first scent I really can't physically tolerate. It doesn't give me a headache per se, but it makes it feel as if all of the veins in my head are constricting and I get sort of light headed and woozy. I've tried it multiple times now and while the nausea and discomfort fades as the top notes fade, it never goes away entirely, and no scent is good enough to spend all day suffering, imo.

A few times while testing it I felt it was a bit too feminine, too. Mostly the top notes. Anyways, what scents are similar that you'd recommend? There really aren't any stores locally that I can try out anything but the big name designer scents, so I'm thinking of going with a blind purchase. I enjoy the thrill of buying blind, anyways, and have been lucky so far (bought Dali pour homme blind. I'm either brave or nuts :P)

Would Rive Gauche be something to consider? From the description it seems like it would be a more masculine version of Prada for men. I actually feel Body Kouros, which I also own, has a similar "character" as Prada, although slightly more masculine and medicinal. But on me, if I spray light, BK tends to remain sweet and fresh rather than sensual and incensey, which is the vibe it gives with a heavier application.

Well, this is turning into a long ramble. I want something "clean and fresh" that isn't excessively masculine, and yet isn't aquatic or overly generic (or overly popular.) A scent that is a bit feminine or may be considered "metro" is fine by me. Hmm, I wonder if Fahrenheit 32 might fit the bill? I guess it's not "clean and fresh" but the floral + orange mix might be close enough? Argh, I wish I could check these out somewhere.

The advice I've found here in the past hasn't done me wrong. I'm counting on you guys for some good recommendations :P.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Something similar to Prada Men...

How about:::

Muglers cologne
    Creed- Original Vetiver
    Clean Men-Dlish
    Ck be

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Default Re: Something similar to Prada Men...

Hmm, the only one of those I've tried is Mugler's Cologne. I DO really like it, despite having my sample vial explode in my pocket (maybe it was that secret "S" note just bursting to get out :P) but it's a bit more vibrant and upbeat than the Prada, imo. A good recommendation for sure, it is on my ever growing list of colognes to get. I might just order a bottle online as it's awfully inexpensive.

Amazingly, I haven't ever tried CK Be. I'm sure I've smelled it amidst many others in a sampling spree, but never took note of it. I'll be sure to try it next time. I'll look into the others. Many thanks.

Can anyone who has smelled both Rive Gauche and Prada compare and contrast them?

Post Thanks / Like

I have Prada and Rive Gauche both. I enjoy them both, but I think they are very different.
    Prada is a well crafted orintal fougere, and as you said it tend to be unisex.
    Rive Gauche is an aromatic perfume and has some rustic notes in it. I would recommend testing it before any decision.
    Interestingly I've tried Fahrenheit 32 and I like it, but didn't buy it. It is beautiful, but I think there is some problems in its composition. I don't know why, but there is something in it which seems to be exteremly feminine and also the whole scent is not crafted well.
    I have "Fleur Du Male", which is a warm floral powdery scent. I consider it a warm clean fresh scent, but obviously it is not suitable for daytime wear.

Further I recommend trying these scents:
    -Black by Kenneth Cole(Herbal Minty-Ultimate fresh clean scent in the market!)
    -Pure by Dunhill
    -Selection by Hugo Boss
    -Santos by Cartier (It is a very beautiful fresh clean classic scent without lasting power!)

Finally I would generally recommend settling for Prada, which is an exteremly well-crefted scent. I hope in near future we see a more warm woody interpretation of it.

I would settle for Prada if it didn't make me feel so high. Thanks for the other recommendations - I might actually be able to find some of those locally.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

If Prada makes you feel physically ill then don't wear it! Fragrances should be enjoyed and savored - not tolerated.

I love Rive Gauche by YSL and it also reminds me of a barbershop (some people say the top notes of RG smell just like Barbasol brand shaving foam).

Others I'd recommend 'like' Prada and RG are:

Narciso Rodriguez for Men by Narciso Rodriguez
    Caron Pour un Homme by Caron
    Baie de Geneivre by Creed
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks Mike. Yeah, Prada is the first fragrance that really clobbered me. Within 30 seconds of smelling it my eye begins to twitch! I guess maybe there is something to all the hysterics surrounding perfumes as "petrochemical neurotoxins."

I'll second Fleur du Male. It's both clean and warm. My wife thinks it smells "yummy", and she's never said that about any of my fragrances.

A bottle will be in my collection soon.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Fleur de Male and Prada? Kidding ? OK, we are a little bit different, I jot it down in my book.
    Now perhaps I'll surprise you Dzing after those animalistic/circus notes would disappear and it calms down to a sweet, a bit leathery drydown - for me that's the closest association with Prada.

Yeah, prada man is something I enjoyed when I first wore it, but, it made me nauseous if I wore it too long. It might be fragrances that has a strong amber note in it that does it. You might want to sample Canali (I know there is a thread on this) when you get the chance. That note isn't as strong as in Prada Amber obviously.

I haven't got a chance to try and of those recommended except for Kenneth Cole Black (it's okay, but doesn't capture the same "essence" that Prada does, imo.)

One thing I did sample though did, to me, capture a similar essence to Prada and that was Burberry Touch. I'm not going to say they smell similar, but they both, to me, evoke the image of crystals and/or winter air. Burberry Touch is kind of like the strange offspring of Prada + Fahrenheit. The clean, crisp, crystalline character of Prada with the violet and a touch of sexiness from Fahrenheit (well, okay, Fahrenheit uses hawthorn instead of violet but they smell similar enough :P) The longevity was great, too, and it kept getting better hour after hour.

I think I'll have to pick a small bottle of this up. I found a one ounce bottle online for $13.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 19th November 2007 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    lol. Nah, that just doesn't last long enough. Never lasts more than 10 minutes before it completely disappears!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Something similar to Prada Men...

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    One thing I did sample though did, to me, capture a similar essence to Prada and that was Burberry Touch.
    Yes, its right. I think both of them have a Clean-Comfortable style. But because of personal preferences I don't like "touch". Therefore I forgot it completely!

try prada infusion d'iris, it's remarkably similar to prada amber ph but lacking a little of the powder...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Amazingly, I'm wearing Prada Men right now and have had only the most minimal reaction. I think I know what caused all of this...

The problem is, I believe, just extreme over exposure to the scent which created an allergy. I had received a small tester vial that had a little plastic dabber stick for application. One day I accidentally knocked the vial over and spilled a portion of it down my sink (sadness!). That night I brought the vial with me to work and applied a few dabs throughout the night. All night though, I couldn't help but think that the cologne was acting strange as the top notes never seemed to fade. It turns out I had the vial in my pocket and some of the cologne (well, a lot, actually) had gotten onto the outside of the bottle when I had spilled it and I was smelling that all night. It was extremely strong and I was suffering some extreme olfactory fatigue. As far as I can recall the next time I wore it I started to suffer the symptoms.

So for the last few days I've been taking a quick whiff of the scent everytime I pass by the vial in my room. Just enough to smell the scent and not trigger a reaction. I was hoping I could recondition myself and my body into realizing there is no reason to react to the scent. Also, I think a lot of the reaction was psychosomatic. After suffering the side effects a few times, just the thought of smelling it again actually evoked fear.

Well, I've been doing that for about a week now, and today decided to be brave and try a tiny dab on my arm. At first I could feel a slight reaction coming on, but I just kept telling myself there was nothing to fear but fear itself. It worked. I put on a few more dabs before work tonight and have been thoroughly enjoying the scent all night. Woot .

I'm still afraid to use my mini spray vial as that invariably leads to a much stronger assault on the senses after application. I think I'll try this light dabbing a few more times and then go with one small spray somewhere far from my nose, maybe somewhere on my pants or something, and see how that works.

Has anyone else ever had something like this happen? A seemingly allergic response which you've then overcome?

Wow, the things we'll do for our scents (or maybe I am just an odd exception. Well, I suppose all of us Basenoters are exceptions to the rule when it comes to scent :P)
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    try prada infusion d'iris, it's remarkably similar to prada amber ph but lacking a little of the powder...
    Hmm, sounds good. Are any of the other women's Pradas similar or worth checking out?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 20th November 2007 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

well, d'iris is actually unisex, and i think it shares a very similar heart to amber. haven't smelt enough of the femme pradas to give you much advice though
    Last edited by chad278; 20th November 2007 at 07:19 AM.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    lol. Nah, that just doesn't last long enough. Never lasts more than 10 minutes before it completely disappears!
    If grape Lik-M-Aid won't do...

Hanae Mori
    Asprey Purple Water

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    I finally got to try Prada Infusion d'Iris, and I had to take a double take with my decant to make sure the juice inside wasn't purple. I've only had it on for about 30 minutes but so far it's very similar to the men's. While I love Prada Amber, I really hope this veers in a different direction soon as I don't need a decant of a frag I own a full bottle of!

Post Thanks / Like

You may find this strange, but I find that L'Heure Bleue and Prada Men are quite similar in structure to my nose. Both have that "creamy" aspect.. but I find L'Heure much more interesting in it's development than the linear and somewhat cloying Prada.. IMO of course.

Richard James Saville Row is very similar to Prada. It's a bit stronger; has more "bite." I think this is what you want, if you can find it, and at a reasonable price.