Code of Conduct

Default "Classic", stronger frags for young athletic guys

I am a young guy (24) who does not like to smell "fresh" like Adidas Moves, Cool Water Game, Curve, and those super-fresh scents that are so popular right now. I like to wear so called "classic" fragrances that have a spicy / peppery masculine note to them. Examples: escada homme, azzaro pour homme, chaps by ralph lauren (in moderation of course), Drakkar noir.

What are some fragrances that I can wear, that have withstood the test of time? Fragrances that will have me smelling manly but will not leave me smelling like grandpa. Thanks

(first post)

Default Re: "Classic", stronger frags for young athletic guys

I think Racquet's Formula by Penhaligon's is exactly what you're looking for.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Ungaro III. Some similarities to Drakkar in it's opening, but it turns into something much much nicer. Woody, floral, and spicy. A great scent.

Quote Originally Posted by twinbee View Post
    I am a young guy (24) who does not like to smell "fresh" like Adidas Moves, Cool Water Game, Curve, and those super-fresh scents that are so popular right now. I like to wear so called "classic" fragrances that have a spicy / peppery masculine note to them. Examples: escada homme, azzaro pour homme, chaps by ralph lauren (in moderation of course), Drakkar noir.

What are some fragrances that I can wear, that have withstood the test of time? Fragrances that will have me smelling manly but will not leave me smelling like grandpa. Thanks

(first post)
    I wouldn't say that this is a classic but a good spicy/peppery fragrance is Azzaro Visit. It's quite the good deal for your wallet. It's one of the "better"' mainstream fragrances.
    Last edited by scentophile; 16th November 2007 at 01:04 PM.

Some good options are
    Ungaro III
    YSL Jazz
    Antaeus
    Obsession
    Acier Aluminium

Oh! Polo Green, Polo Green!! Looking at what you like already, I'm about 90% sure
    you'd like it. Others to look at would be Antaeus and Fahrenheit.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Classic, strong, young and athletic = Devin by Aramis
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

red for men giorgio beverly hills
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Dude,
    try Kouros - you won't be disappointed. not spicey or peppery, but well worth a try.

peace
    mc

If you work out and keep in shape, there is nothing better than Kouros (not Body Kouros or any other derivative but the original). You might not like it at first but it will win you over. It´s not just a fragrance either as I explain in my review of it. Sure it has some weaknesses. But that´s like saying that Aragorn isn´t a great king because sometimes his beard looks shabby.
    Cerruti 1881, again the original, is a fragrance that looks back to an age when civilized men wore tailcoats and hats and had vocabularies twice as large as most people today.
    Van Gils, need I say it...the original, is one that I recommend as well.

Blog Entries

I completely second Obsession.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Try
    Azzaro Visit
    Gucci Pour Homme

How about Rochas Lui, Azzaro PH, and Givenchy Xerius

Yeah I have similar tastes. I'd suggest:

Ungaro III
    Dunhill Edition
    Guerlain Heritage
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Cartier Santos
    Gucci PH

I'd add, however, that you can't live without one or two "fresh" fragrances, it's just a matter of choosing classic ones rather than modern common ones, so think about:

Bvlgari PH
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Creed GIT
    Terre D'Hermes
    XS

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime