Code of Conduct

Default Pic Of My Scent Collection (Please Comment and Feel Free To Add More Pictures)

blank
    Last edited by saam16; 19th November 2007 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Re: Pic Of My Scent Collection (Please Comment and Feel Free To Add More Pictures)

Where did you get those silver atomizers?

Talking Re: Pic Of My Scent Collection (Please Comment and Feel Free To Add More Pictures)

Saam16

You Sir must have an enormous amounts of restraint from the size of your collection. You put me to shame. I am afraid I am and have been in total bottle free fall for some time now and I cant seem to find the ripcord to open my parachute um I mean common scense. Nice display. I would love to have a lighted one behind a secret panel like in the movie Anchorman.

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Default Re: Pic Of My Scent Collection (Please Comment and Feel Free To Add More Pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Where did you get those silver atomizers?
    yeah they are gorgeous arent they?

I'd like to know the source as well.

gupts

I have to say, of all of the collections on here, this one I admire the most. The simplicity of it is amazing, yet it seems so well rounded and has great fragrances.

hehe, the lights are scotch taped to the top of the display!?

Display those Guccis!

Blog Entries

I must say that I have been fascinated by all of the pictures in the threads of your scent collections. This is my first time getting a glimpse of how men keep, store and display scents in their homes. Most are so very different than the way women of my age group and acquaintance deal with perfumes (I can’t speak for the younger generation). I suppose because I grew up with a mother and grandmother who had dressing tables laden with a lovely clutter of bottles and powders, never in boxes and never put away, that I assumed that was/is the norm. As a child I would stand, watching in awe as they sat and applied make-up and then choose which scent to spray or dab on that day. That was my enculturation into the magical world of perfume. And so, I do the same. The first piece of nice furniture I bought when I left home 40 some years ago was an art deco vanity.

Some of your collections are so very military in precision, catalogued and lined up for inspection. It made me wonder if men sit down to apply scent or do you stand and spray? (grin). I understand the logic of storing scents in fridges and boxes, to preserve them, but will forsake logic for the pleasures of seeing gleaming bottles in disarray, competing for me to choose one or the other to spray, and for the sheer visual pleasure of their reflections in the mirrored surfaces that surround them. This is not a criticism – just an observation of difference.

It has also been a pleasure to learn that men are no longer restricted to having to appreciate wonderful perfumes second hand – on the skins of women of their acquaintance. I smiled when I saw familiar bottles of L’Heure Bleu and Mitsouko amongst some collections and I am pleased that men’s liberation seems to have take place in your generation; how wonderful that you are no longer shackled to Old Spice and other after-shaves.

I am enjoying reading your forum. It has been quite an education and an anthropological experience. I look forward to seeing more pictures.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    hehe, the lights are scotch taped to the top of the display!?
    Light and heat makes scotch tape brittle and weak.

Scotch tape breaks.

Lights fall down and crash into perfume bottles (Optional: shelves break crashing into shelves & bottles below)

Lights break, bottles break........IGNITION......spactacular electrical perfume explosion and fire!

House burns to the ground but smells GREAT!

BTW, perfumes love bright warm lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    I must say that I have been fascinated by all of the pictures in the threads of your scent collections. This is my first time getting a glimpse of how men keep, store and display scents in their homes. Most are so very different than the way women of my age group and acquaintance deal with perfumes (I can’t speak for the younger generation). I suppose because I grew up with a mother and grandmother who had dressing tables laden with a lovely clutter of bottles and powders, never in boxes and never put away, that I assumed that was/is the norm. As a child I would stand, watching in awe as they sat and applied make-up and then choose which scent to spray or dab on that day. That was my enculturation into the magical world of perfume. And so, I do the same. The first piece of nice furniture I bought when I left home 40 some years ago was an art deco vanity.

Some of your collections are so very military in precision, catalogued and lined up for inspection. It made me wonder if men sit down to apply scent or do you stand and spray? (grin). I understand the logic of storing scents in fridges and boxes, to preserve them, but will forsake logic for the pleasures of seeing gleaming bottles in disarray, competing for me to choose one or the other to spray, and for the sheer visual pleasure of their reflections in the mirrored surfaces that surround them. This is not a criticism – just an observation of difference.

It has also been a pleasure to learn that men are no longer restricted to having to appreciate wonderful perfumes second hand – on the skins of women of their acquaintance. I smiled when I saw familiar bottles of L’Heure Bleu and Mitsouko amongst some collections and I am pleased that men’s liberation seems to have take place in your generation; how wonderful that you are no longer shackled to Old Spice and other after-shaves.

I am enjoying reading your forum. It has been quite an education and an anthropological experience. I look forward to seeing more pictures.
    I love the line "military in precision"...I wish I was that neat! Some of us have tables and cupboards cluttered & covered with bottles & samples.

This is my first time getting a glimpse of how men keep, store and display scents in their homes.
    Do a search for pictures of your collection and you'll fine hundreds of men's wardrobes!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

not to overtake this thread with girliness, but I resonate with Dee's reminisces about her Mother and Grandmother and the images of perfume bottles on vanities, clustered atop a mirrored tray and the womanly rituals of preparing for a special evening out.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    clustered atop a mirrored tray

I use an antique mirrored tray to put the SOTD on. Yep, I'm a dork

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I use an antique mirrored tray to put the SOTD on. Yep, I'm a dork
    aw, that's sweet
    so you just put the SOTD on it? kind of like the star for the day? that's nice, dear.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

The silver atomizers are from Nordstom's.

I've got about 25 of them. They come in all silver, all gold, and black and gold. Mine are all silver. They are $6 each.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Blog Entries

Do a search for pictures of your collection and you'll fine hundreds of men's wardrobes!
    I did. Amazing.

And I don't think your using a mirrored tray to highlight a scent is dorky
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 17th November 2007 at 03:14 AM.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

aw, that's sweet
    so you just put the SOTD on it? kind of like the star for the day? that's nice, dear.
    Yep, click my wardrobe icon and there's a pic.

I do!

haha...just kidding

Blog Entries

I have the same mirrored tray on my bedroom dresser

But not on my vanity - click on my wardrobe icon and see my clutter
    --------------------------------------
    not to overtake this thread with girliness, but I resonate with Dee's reminisces about her Mother and Grandmother and the images of perfume bottles on vanities, clustered atop a mirrored tray and the womanly rituals of preparing for a special evening out.
    My dad's scents and after shaves were always in the bathroom - except for a bottle of Grey Flannel - which was in a pouch on his armoire. I remember him having a very nice bay rum, and he had something called 4711.
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 17th November 2007 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Chanakya

Even though I don't like M7, the way you look the pic, makes the bottle look so beautiful. I want to buy it now.....

To everyone who posted:

Thank you so much for posting feedback, I loved reading all of it. As for the atomizers, as Scentronic said, they are at Nordstroms and I will get more next paycheck.

I know the lights look a bit unconventional in the way that tape is holding them, but that is temporary and a stronger adhesive is under it in case the tape comes loose. Also, the lights do not produce any direct heat (in fact, you can touch them and not get burned). These lights are available at Ikea.

These samples you see are ones I consider the Holy Grail after eliminating 250 samples that were collecting dust. When these samples are all gone, I may not put samples in there anymore. We shall see.

The top shelf are reserved for the ones most heavily used during the Fall/Winters. I do have 2 other winter scents, but I do not wear those as often as the ones displayed. I know that light is the enemy of fragrances, but I do not have a box for any of them except the Gucci; plus how can they just a sit in box when they are so beautifully constructed.

Also, last night, one of my samples for Tom Ford is done so I had to discard it; good thing I have extra.

Dee Olive:

I enjoyed reading your perspective and will post more pictures if I get the chance. Also, I will spray standing or sitting.
    Here are new pictures of empty bottles I have kept and displayed in the office. My home was under renovationa and I decided to keep a piece of granite that was given as a sample. I also have two other granite pieces left over from the renovation. I use to collect rocks so I have a affinity for stone.

I wanted theme to be texture. The texture of Versace and Sauvage are similar while the curves of Kenza and Gucci are smooth.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...icture2384.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...icture2383.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...icture2382.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...icture2392.jpg
    My apologies for bumping this thread, I added new pics.
    Last edited by saam16; 18th November 2007 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Saam16 - what a beautiful "still life of flasks"

I love the delicate blue of the Eau Fraiche surrounded by the other clear bottles, reflected in the granite slab. I'm afraid my old bottles wind up in dresser drawers, to scent my undergarmets.
    Chanakya

how do you post your pictures? could someone explain this in plain, non-technical English please?

Quote Originally Posted by saam16 View Post
    As some of you might be aware, I posted a thread about showing pictures of your fragrance collection.
    Why on Earth did you create a new thread instead of posting to your own original, now legendary thread Post A Picture of Your Collection ?!
    Last edited by MadScientist; 19th November 2007 at 05:41 AM.

that's lovely.

I have the same mirrored tray on my bedroom dresser

But not on my vanity - click on my wardrobe icon and see my clutter

My dad's scents and after shaves were always in the bathroom - except for a bottle of Grey Flannel - which was in a pouch on his armoire. I remember him having a very nice bay rum, and he had something called 4711.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe