Code of Conduct

Thread: SMW or MI?

Default SMW or MI?

Sorry for ANOTHER Creed thread hehe, but I'm going to get either SMW or MI in about a week. Which one should I get? I like cologne that gets a lot of compliments, not to heavy but still has good sillage. One that's good for the weather right now, I think both of them smell amazing. Which one has better sillage/smells better overall, good for a 16 year old male? MI is out of stock on scentiments.com but they still have SMW, I think I'm going to wait for MI to come back in stock.

Thoughts?
    Looking for Partial or Full Bottles Of:
    Silver Mountain Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Scent of Peace

PM me please.

Default Re: SMW or MI?

I think both MI and SMW are really good. Personally my all time fave frag is MI.....so i would have to say wait for MI to come in at scentiments....by the way don't buy any of the MI and SMW rip offs from P. Diddy, for if you do, it will be Unforgivable!

They're both good.. I would go for SMW, I swapped mine and I miss it.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

MI of course.

SMW, because you can get MI cheaply in the form of Unforgivable and get the same number of compliments. There's nothing quite like SMW (except Bond No.9 Hamptons, but that's more expensive).

Basenotes Plus

Id go for SMW, its more noticeable, and more unique.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Save up a little, and just get both lol.

MI doesn't last on me, and isn't masculine in any way - a tad feminine if anything. SMW is more masculine, lasts longer and definitely the more distinctive of the two. That makes it better value in my book.
    Renato

IMO if you buy one, you may not miss the other... they are different of course, but if you own Unforgivable and SMW, you pretty much do not need MI.

I prefer MI, but think that SMW is less of a sillage monster.
    You have to get used to the "hairspray" effect of SWM, though.
    Once that dies down, it's smooth sailing all the way.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 17th November 2007 at 08:28 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Comparing Unforgivable to MI is like comparing cubic zirconium with diamonds. Unforgivable is cheap crap! It shouldn't be compared to something as special as Imperial.
    Last edited by Maz24; 17th November 2007 at 10:34 PM.

Basenotes Institution

SMW

Or BMW hee, hee...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th November 2007 at 10:49 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Comparing Unforgivable to MI is like comparing cubic zirconium with diamonds. Unforgivable is cheap crap! It shouldn't be compared to something as special as Imperial.
    Well, sure, WE all know that MI is something really special. The problem is that thanks to Unforgivable, your average Joe Blow on the street will smell your MI & will automatically think it's Unforgivable because that's how he associates that particular smell. Before Unforgivable came along, MI was something really unique & it got lots of attention. Now, a cheap knockoff of that smell is available to the masses. I can't remember who, but I know at least a couple of basenoters have even been turned off of MI because of the association with Unforgivable.

That being said...I've always preferred Silver Mountain Water, anyway. It is one of the very few frags that have completely wowed me upon first sniff.
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 17th November 2007 at 10:56 PM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I see nothing wrong with Unforgivable being a knock off of MI. If you can smell good for half the price, so be it. Granted, a perfume purist will appreciate all the stages that the creation of perfume requires (the notes, longevity, sillage, year, bottle, atomizer, originality, name, price, store that sells it, the name of the perfumer, box...). However, perfume industry will always be full of copycats and there is not a lot you can do about it. Unforgivable is one of the least original scents out there: that makes it cheap, but not crap. Or at least not much crappier than the original. To each his own, but at the end of the day, most of us just want to smell good.

I ended up getting SMW! MI smelt so weak on me and didn't give any sillage. My friend works for one of those small perfume stores and sprayed SMW and MI on each of my wrist and says she smelt SMW coming towards her and not much MI.

It lasts FOREVER on me and is a amazing scent, a great investment! Hopefully I'll get MI, GIT, and VIW someday!

PS (omg I wore SMW to the Jonas Brothers band meet&greet and they kept asking me what cologne I was wearing )
    Looking for Partial or Full Bottles Of:
    Silver Mountain Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Scent of Peace

PM me please.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Well, sure, WE all know that MI is something really special. The problem is that thanks to Unforgivable, your average Joe Blow on the street will smell your MI & will automatically think it's Unforgivable because that's how he associates that particular smell. Before Unforgivable came along, MI was something really unique & it got lots of attention. Now, a cheap knockoff of that smell is available to the masses. I can't remember who, but I know at least a couple of basenoters have even been turned off of MI because of the association with Unforgivable.
    Agreed. It's one reason why I don't wear Green Irish Tweed much-- because Cool Water ripped it off. I've smelled too many thug types wearing Unforgiveable-- it makes me reach for MI less and less. I think if I ever had someone ask me if I was wearing Unforgiveable, I would go postal. It's a cheap copy, they got the basic signature but not the nuances. Pdiddy is unforgiveable, MI is untouchable.

In my opinion, SMW, as at least you can avoid people thinking you're wearing Unforgivable if you choose MI. And for a 16-year-old boy, this will be unique!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Both are really beautiful fragrances, but of the two I found myself reaching for SMW much more often. Honestly, sometimes MI just came off as too luxurious; SMW was more user friendly.

In regards to the MI/Unforgivable thing, I would say that I really agree with Indie_Guy, CologneJunkie and the rest. In itself, MI is a sublime scent, but taking into account that one of the top five popular colognes on the market today is a blatant rip-off makes me not want to wear it too much.

Does that mean don't ever buy or wear MI? Certainly not. It only means the fragrance has this added baggage to go along with it.
    You are not your perfume.

I find that MI is radiantly glowing heaven in humid summer, but otherwise, it's dusty and unnatural smelling somehow, even cheap. I'm wondering if maybe mine's off a little or is that dusty aspect normal. I remember having a smaller bottle of MI and thinking it might be off, but an expereinced basenoter tried it and said it was the freshest bottle he'd ever smelt!

SMW is less majestic, however it's still quite majestic and classy. If I even have to wear a suit to something I usually wear SMW.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 7th December 2007 at 12:58 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I like to think i have a sensitive nose, but I find these two to be so similar! I parse them because of the watermelon in MI and the black currant in SMW. If I had to choose one, it would be MI because it's wonderful for the summer, where SMW is probably better in cooler weather (though it's by no means winter fragrance).
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

SMW for you. But for me, neither. I have lost much interest in Creed lately.