Code of Conduct

Default Versace's The Dreamer and Guerlain's Vetiver

I gave in today and picked up The Dreamer — for a long time I resisted as I didn't think it would last. I like it a lot, and it lasts!, but I am really struck by the fact that the tobacco accord is exactly the same as that in Guerlain's Vetiver. Why have you guys not mentioned this? Or have you, and I haven't been paying attention? Thrax likens it to a kind of chewing gum kind of tobacco note and doesn't like it, as I recall. Personally I do like it. If I had to charcterise The Dreamer I'd say it was Guerlain's Vetiver without the Vetiver. I assume that whatever makes that tobacco note is a synthetic of some kind. (When you get close to it it stops smelling like tobacco!)

I put on Havana for comparison. To me this seems like an entirely different tobacco note, drier, with no chewing gum overtones, and something vaguely green underneath: maybe there is a hint of labdanum in there.

Anyway, what do you think of these two?

Edit: my second, second thoughts: the tobacco note in The Dreamer and GV is rather musky the more you get into the drydown.
    Last edited by Eluard; 17th November 2007 at 11:44 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

Default Re: Versace's The Dreamer and Guerlain's Vetiver

IT doesnt lasttttttttt >< =)

Ahhh...the rough moody tiger again! How r u?
    Dreamer has a beautiful combination of kind of oriental-fougere-floral and there is tobacco note, which is outstanding. I cant see any kind of CHEWING GUM note in it!
    Perhaps chewing gums have different flavours in our countries! Here they use flavours like mint, strawberry etc.
    I think Havana is more Aromatic and has a more serious style. But Dreamer is a crefree and romantic style scent.
    Also...I'm going to try that Vetiver again!!!

I'm gonna have to dig up my GV sample again too. I didn't detect a tobacco note before.

I also recently bought The Dreamer (new) after sampling it and reading the many praising reviews of it's sillage and longevity. But I find it last only about 3 hours max on my skin. Normally, I fall within the general consensus regarding the sillage and longevity of most frags, but this one just makes me go "Hey! No fair......why doesn't mine last like everyone else's?!"

Hmm...I'll have to compare GV straight up with The Dreamer. I have both, but have not considered them close in character before. In addition to vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver also has a tenacious, longlasting citrus topnote that just doesn't quit. Both of these scents last me every minute of 6-8 hours for sillage,and 4-5 hours more as a skin scent.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    In addition to vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver also has a tenacious, longlasting citrus topnote that just doesn't quit.
    This is what put me off. I really liked the eau glacee version though. The citrus is toned way down and it has a mint top note, but the longevity is terrible unfortunately - only 2-3 hours max on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    The Dreamer I'd say it was Guerlain's Vetiver without the Vetiver.
    Dreamer is far richer than Gurelain's Vetiver. To my mind, it's not a question of subtracting from GV, but adding to it - and adding quite a lot to get Dreamer.

Curiously, OsMoz doesn't list any tobacco note in GV, while the Basenotes Directory does.

This post prompted me to do a side by side comparison between them. I think I can kind of smell something sharp like tobacco in GV, but I'm not a 100% sure that it really is tobacco.
    Renato

Basenotes Institution

Very interesting.

I wore Dreamer about 6-7 years ago and never ever quite warmed to it - this was before Basenotes so I wasn't sure why, but now I think it was the mish-mash of notes in Dreamer confused my nose a little too much. However I can (now that you've pointed it out) see the difference between the vanilla notes in this and Guerlain Vetiver. Not too sweet, not 'maple syrupy', and tenacious.

And I do agree with that tobacco note that you smell, but that when you smell your skin close - it disappears. Neat, huh?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th November 2007 at 01:38 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

i actually dont detect much tobacco in vetiver at all and i cant link vetiver with dreamer at all really.

thought, dreamer is fan-freakin-tastic. pipe tobacco without the nicotine.

I like The Dreamer, it reminds me of being in South Beach. I can't wear it though, it's way too loud. However, the tobacco note is one of my favorites. I wonder what it's made out of, too. Does anyone out there know?
    Guerlain's Vetiver is much more classical. Of course the original version was much better, but it's still a wonderful fragrance.