Code of Conduct

Thread: Lubin?

Default Lubin?

I was just looking on lucky scent and saw there there were three Lubin scents now. Has anybody tried them? I'm especially curious about Idole and the new Vetiver one.

Default Re: Lubin?

The Idole is simply out of this world, a woody rum cocktail. I am awaiting some of the Vetiver, but from the description, it sounds fabulous.

Barry

I was about to post the exact same thread earlier today. Great someone else did it

I don't know, but whoever is writing copy for the Le Vetiver page on LuckyScent deserves a prize. Any sentient being would want to buy that frag after reading it.

...and it's on my list to test, now.

I'm such a whore.

I have a sample on the way from Luckyscent. I will report back.

Idole de Lubin is one of a kind; smoky, rum-riddled, and dark.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I have a sample on the way from Luckyscent. I will report back.
    Ah!, but not as great a whore as Jw/S!! Look forward to hearing the good news, my friend.

The other day, after reading the recent interview with Lubin owner Gilles Thevenin:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=lubin

I promised myself to purchase both of these fragrance blind when they come out, which I did today. I purchased them as a matter of principle. People like Thevenin, with their commitment to the grand tradition of artistically inspired quality perfumery deserve support as a matter of principle. If Idole de Lubin is anything to go by, and if Thevenin's integrity and vision are anything to go by, I am sure I will not be disappointed with L'Eau Neuve and Le Vetiver.

scentemental

Off-Scenter

I very much like Idole, and it has been much reviewed in the Basenotes Directory. Most people who try seem to have vehement responses, positive or negative. I think it's fair to say that whether you enjoy Idole or not, it's not going to bore you!

Like everbody else, I'm curious about the two new ones, and I too have samples on the way. I remember reading that one of the two (L'Eau Neuve?) is based on an old Lubin formula, but I don't recall who composed the other. With any luck it is an olfactory artist on a par with Olivia Giacobetti, who was responsible for Idole.

Scentemental's comments make me even more anxious for the Le Vetiver sample. Nice interview too.

Circa1905, sometimes I do feel 'rode hard and put up wet' from the frag pursuit, and whore is right. I love the chase, but I am trying to be more discerning these days on what I invite into my bathroom cabinet permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    . . . . Like everbody else, I'm curious about the two new ones, and I too have samples on the way. I remember reading that one of the two (L'Eau Neuve?) is based on an old Lubin formula, but I don't recall who composed the other. With any luck it is an olfactory artist on a par with Olivia Giacobetti, who was responsible for Idole.
    Both are by Lucien Ferrero.

scentemental

OK, I'm getting samples of Idole and Le Vetiver for sure.

Smile Re: Lubin?

I loved Idole when I sampled it about one year ago but it didn't last on me. Couldn't detect it after about 15 minutes. I will have to try it again. I may get a bottle anyway just because I really love the scent.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    I loved Idole when I sampled it about one year ago but it didn't last on me. Couldn't detect it after about 15 minutes. I will have to try it again. I may get a bottle anyway just because I really love the scent.

Rick
    That's very sad. It lingers for hours and hours on me.

I received my Lubin samples today from Luckyscent. I will really be interested to hear what others have to say about both L'eau Neuve and Le Vetiver. I am not good at reviewing scents but go on instinct and scent memory.

Le Vetiver is extremely similar in feel to Guerlain Vetiver to my nose.
    L'eau Neuve is similar in feel to Nicolai - Balle de Match maybe.

More to come later...
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 19th November 2007 at 10:54 PM.

Off-Scenter

My samples arrived today too, and I couldn't resist trying a little of each. It's far too early for me to evaluate either scent, but here are my immediate impressions: neither strikes me as the kind of risque, controversial scent that is Idole. Both seem relatively tame and very pleasant. L'Eau Neuve shares some elements with Eau Sauvage: a rich citrus accord over woods and moss. I'll need much more time with it to decide if it develops in interesting ways. Vetiver opens with some really perky citrus top notes, then grows into a dry, rooty, and even somewhat smoky vetiver. It's more immediately interesting to me than L'Eau Neuve, but I'm far from deciding what I think of it.

So for now, two nice scents that I'll need to spend some time with, but nothing earth-shattering...yet.

Basenotes Institution

Guys you might remember I posted a thread on the Fragrance Industry boards on this online interview with the owner of LUBIN, where he mentions the new scents, Idole and many more behind-the-scenes stuff. This might intrigue all of you who are sampling the new Lubin's: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200821
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have now sampled Le Vetiver twice. Unlike other (i really envy all of you) members, i don't have the gift of describing and/or reviewing fragrances well. Because of this i will use only one word to describe it. Underwhelming! Whoever writes for Luckyscent deserves an A+ for creative writing. This is fiction at its best.

I am so glad i didn't give in and order a full bottle blind. Being the vetiver lover that i am, i was very excited about this one.
    Oh well. I guess its money saved...for something else..
    Last edited by ajmc; 24th November 2007 at 05:13 PM.

I have a Luckyscent sample of Lubin Le Vetiver if anyone wants to do a sample swap, especially for a Serge Lutens sample that I haven't tried.