Code of Conduct

Default Jil Sander Scent 79 Man?

I'm assuming this is the same Jil Sander fragrance released recently with a different name? I guess they decided this would help the confusion with her similar named scents.

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...7/3359177.html

Default Re: Jil Sander Scent 79 Man?

According to the German PR blurb, these are new fragrances - contemporary renditions of the originals. Perfumers are Evelyne Boulanger and Marc Buxton of Symrise. While I'm lucky enough to have a lifetime supply of the original 1981 Man Pure, I definitely look forward to testing them. Could it be true that Coty finally produced something significant after all these years?

http://www.cosmoty.de/news/2040/
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

This looks interesting to me....I hope that this is not a Big letdown.
    Gary

Her scents back in the 80's where way before their time all based on woody notes of cedar and incense....

Now this seems to be the trends of male scents so the are relaunching reworked versions of the original...???

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Her scents back in the 80's where way before their time all based on woody notes of cedar and incense....

Now this seems to be the trends of male scents so the are relaunching reworked versions of the original...???
    Which I find insane - if it smells different, it's not the same scent anyway. Does not make sense. I guess they save a lot on advertising this way.

The original Jil Sander Man Pure from 1981 remains one of my all-time favorites, and I still have a few milliliters left in my bottle. I recently tried the Scent 79 version on a card (but not on the skin, since I was already sampling a different scent at the time), hoping that it would be the same, but it's not. Indeed, it is merely a modern interpretation, and I prefer the original. Aside from that, it's currently only availabe in the large 125ml size and is fairly expensive. I wanted to check the listing at Basenotes to see if the various sublime notes are already listed, but apparently this version is still too new to appear in the inventory.

How different it is from the recent MAN? Or is it the same thing? Don't remember seeing 79 on the pictures of bottles.

Man Pure (1981):
    Bergamot, Lemon, Basil, Oregano, Clary Sage, Aldehydes
    Clove, Patchouli, cinnamon, Gernium, Sandalwood
    Leather, Moss, Catoreum, Olibanum, Labdanum, Musk, Amber

just recently thought this is actually a slick Sander-style redesign of Knize Ten - taking what's good about that classic and udsating it from old-fashioned powerdiness and the excessive turpentine note. A cool, minimlaist leathery chypre, brilliantly squares the circle.

Man (2007):
    Bergamot, Lavender, Violets
    clary sage, wormwood, Vetiver
    blue cedar, Myrrh, Leather

IMO a lame, thin insult to the name. The blue bottle is nice, though

Man 79 (2007)
    angelica, clary sage, frankincense, jasmine, violet, orris, black leather, sandalwood and vetiver.

I'm very curious, but never expect too much from Coty. Buxton is a brilliant perfumer, I just hope they gave him a decent budget.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Jil Sander Scent 79 Man? One Word: LITE

In the meantime I've had the opportunity to try the male "Scent 79" on my skin. I noticed a distinct semblance to the 1981 original, even more unmistakable as time wears on. I would characterize this as "Original Lite", not "Pure", but "Somewhat Diluted"; not nearly as intense as the real thing but nevertheless subtly very pleasant and still one of the best scents on the market for me in my opinion, though not as long lasting. I would prefer to wait for this fragrance to become available in a smaller size than 125 ml, as it certainly will, before making a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlysniff View Post
    In the meantime I've had the opportunity to try the male "Scent 79" on my skin. I noticed a distinct semblance to the 1981 original, even more unmistakable as time wears on. I would characterize this as "Original Lite", not "Pure", but "Somewhat Diluted"; not nearly as intense as the real thing but nevertheless subtly very pleasant and still one of the best scents on the market for me in my opinion, though not as long lasting. I would prefer to wait for this fragrance to become available in a smaller size than 125 ml, as it certainly will, before making a purchase.
    Sounds very interesting! Has anyone else tried Jil Sander Scent 79 Man by now? If so, more reviews please!

Regards,
    -Tero-

I wonder - is this priced higher than MAN? THey all seem to produce Intense, Extreme or some other kind of special editions and price them higher these days.

Quote Originally Posted by GGA View Post
    Sounds very interesting! Has anyone else tried Jil Sander Scent 79 Man by now? If so, more reviews please!

Regards,
    -Tero-
    I tried it recently and was pleasantly surprised. I have the original (as EdT) and it is one of my favorites. 79, if my memory fools me not, smells almost exactly like the original Man Pure After Shave which was my default AS in the early 90s (the EdT is significantly different, darker, more herbal & leathery). Easily their best (re-)release since 1998's Sander for Man.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    I wonder - is this priced higher than MAN? THey all seem to produce Intense, Extreme or some other kind of special editions and price them higher these days.
    Oh yes it does - the price for 125ml edt spray is 129 euros (approximately $190)!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I tried it recently and was pleasantly surprised. I have the original (as EdT) and it is one of my favorites. 79, if my memory fools me not, smells almost exactly like the original Man Pure After Shave which was my default AS in the early 90s (the EdT is significantly different, darker, more herbal & leathery). Easily their best (re-)release since 1998's Sander for Man.
    I'm soooo wanting this now - regardless of the ridiculously high price! Thx for the reviews guys!

-T-
    Last edited by GGA; 11th January 2008 at 07:54 PM.

Question Re: Jil Sander Scent 79 Man? One Word: LITE

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Does it mean we have another "barbershop" smell or "aftershave" scent by 79 MAN?
    WoW!
    I want to try it as soon as possible!

I tried 79 Man on my skin two weeks ago. First of all I don't know the 1981 versions you mentioned earlier, so I obviously cannot compare it to them. Anyway it was quite a shock: a very intense, "precious", powdery, almost feminine incense-based scent, which indeed reminded me of fragrances released in the late 70s and 80s. For some reason 79 Man reminds me strongly of... Poison by Dior! I know this is no tribute, but for some reason the comparison keeps striking me as obvious. Not the same notes, but a general impression which is not so different (in a much smoother way, luckily!)

I wouldn't wear it though. It's a little "too much" for me I guess...

I wanted to bump this to see if more people have tried it now? Is it available only in Europe?

I've seen it locally over the the past few weeks, so it's also available in the Middle East.

I haven't tried it, though. The original version is still available at certain shops and I already have several bottles of it. I might try out the new one this weekend, though, and see how it stacks up to the old one.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 27th February 2008 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks Noggs. Errrgh. You have the old one? Errrgh! Oh well, lucky you.

This stuff is really good! Bought it yesterday, although it´s quite pricey (129 € for 125ml EdP), but I used to wear (and loved!) the original back in the 80´s and I was glad to see it back on the shelfs.
    And yes, the new Scent 79 Man is different, very different, but close enough to the original to make Man Pure recognizable, especially in the beginning and during the drydown. In-between the scent transforms itself drastically and a completely new smell appears. Here, Marc Buxton´s work is obviously: He added a new and modern smelling companion to an old a bit dated smelling fellow - et voilà - they match perfectly!
    Excellent!

In the US you can find Scent 79 Man at Jil Sander boutiques. It's about $165 as I recall for the 125ml spray. It's excellent if you like woody, incense driven fragrances.

Chris

Bumpity bump.

Any more opinions? Will this only be available in NA at Sander boutiques?

Thumbs up Re: Jil Sander Scent 79 Man?

Jil Sander Scent 79 Man, To Me, Is The Same Scent As The Original...maybe Even Better Because It's Just A Hair Lighter. Lighter But Not Light! I Still Have The Original And Tried It On One Arm And The 79 Scent On The Other...and Within A Half Hour...they Both Smelled Exactly The Same. This Is A Great Release, By Sander, For All Those Of Us That Loved The Original And Now Have A Chance To Purchase It..."modern Day". It's Sure Worth A Try. Very Exciting! I Found It On Line At Harrods.

Blog Entries

i'd read that Scent 79 was supposed to be very leather/suede oriented....like a dark sweet suede scent....but none of you have said that? any thoughts?

i would like to smell it..

Quote Originally Posted by Joshaugustt View Post
    Jil Sander Scent 79 Man, To Me, Is The Same Scent As The Original...
    It´s the original scent layered with a spritz of French Lover/Bois d´Orage. It´s that strong angelica-note up top, that makes it different to the old one (and makes it even better, IMHO!).
    Mark Buxton is the perfumer behind this reformulation.

Basenotes Institution

I just read Marlen's review of this over at Perfume Critic, and it sounds wonderful. Anyone else smell it and wish to comment about it?

Is the floral aspect of the scent very prominent?

Sables namechecking French Lover intrigued me, since I think FL's use of angelica in the top notes is my favorite part of the scent.

I've never smelled Man, or any other scent from Jil Sander.

I could add that LT put the high marks to 79 Man.
    And that`s why I eager to try this.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishercb View Post
    In the US you can find Scent 79 Man at Jil Sander boutiques. It's about $165 as I recall for the 125ml spray. It's excellent if you like woody, incense driven fragrances.

Chris
    not anymore! it's $90 at Nieman Marcus and Bergdorf...

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...4&ci_sku=C0FWT

Sur la Plage

I tried it at Neimans recently and my initial impression was good - but I need to test it a few more times to form a complete opinion.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's my scent of the year 2008, but I'm not buying at the price since I have the original .
    $90 would make me weak, though - it's still full price in Germany
    Last edited by the_good_life; 17th December 2008 at 12:35 PM.
    My Wardrobe

I sparyed it on my wrist at Neiman's night before last and was pretty impressed by it. I've got a decent sample and am quite looking forward to giving it a full ride in a couple of days. My initial impression was that it has some similarity to Serge Noir on me. I've never had the opportunity to experience any Jil Sander scent before so I can't compare to the past but this first taste makes me want to try more.
    I can confirm that it is $90 for a bottle at Neiman's
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 17th December 2008 at 12:38 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    I could add that LT put the high marks to 79 Man.
    And that`s why I eager to try this.
    I think it was Tania who reviewed it favorably. Her description also described it as very masculine. Her two word synopsis was: 'cigarette woods'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think it was Tania who reviewed it favorably. Her description also described it as very masculine. Her two word synopsis was: 'cigarette woods'.
    yeah, i dunno what that means! so she's saying it's smoky like a cig? i've heard tobacco...but never cigarette.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    yeah, i dunno what that means! so she's saying it's smoky like a cig? i've heard tobacco...but never cigarette.
    Yes, I think she means smoky tobacco, as opposed to just the smell of tobacco leaves, etc.

Would anyone who's smelled S79 agree that it's smoky tobacco?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th December 2008 at 02:28 PM.

From "Now Smell This"
    The notes include angelica, clary sage, frankincense, jasmine, violet, orris, black leather, sandalwood and vetiver.

Mind you this comes from a wrist test a couple of nights ago.
    From the note list above I definitely got the jasmine and angelica at the top which led to the slight frankincense and orris in the heart. The frankincense note would probably be the source of the "smoky" description. The base was definitely a beautifully balanced mix of leather, sandalwood and vetiver. The vetiver wasn't apparent until very late in the drydown on me but it added a nice bite to the end of it all.
    I can also say that I didn't get any hint of tobacco in this initial impression on me.
    In contrast I sniffed all the Lagerfeld Kapsules on the same visit and got a good tobacco note from the Floriental Kapsule. There was nothing that pronounced to my nose in Scent 79 Man.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 17th December 2008 at 04:46 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I've smelled it at Neiman's - and have sprayed a good dose on my arm a couple of times. Love it! The clary sage and frankincense combine to form an impression that is like evergreens but not quite as astringent. Drydown is multi-layered (on me, anyway) and kept me interested to the end. I think the men's 79 is more unisex than the female one. I'd like one of each (maybe Santa will take care of this) because the bottles are so cool - one white, one black, in that iconic shape.

Question Re: Jil Sander Scent 79 Man?

I really cannot find 79 Man.The only new Jill Sander scent I detected is named Jill Sander Man Absolute Intense wich is a 2008 release; this one is not in the basenotes directory yet.

I liked this and at the lowered price ($90) is more reasonable. Something about it reminds me of an updated version of Antaeus. If I hadn't purchased so much recently I would have picked this up but I will be picking it up at some point.

For those of you who haven't tried this yet, run, don't walk, or whatever the equivalent is on a keyboard. It has an unmistakable Mark Buxton opening (shining frankincense, a la MoslBuddJewChristHinDao) and then quickly (within 10 minutes) morphs into something completely different, a more traditional, spicy leathery sandalwood and vetiver. This is sophisticated, and shows the typical Buxton restraint. It is not a clobber between the eyes like Pascal Moribito's Or Black (a much stronger leather chypre). I have never smelled the original Jill Sander Man, so I cannot compare. I would NEVER have guessed this was a Coty scent. It smells high-quality to me. Hang in there for the late dry down. Fantastic.This may get my vote for best new masculine.

Sur la Plage

I spritzed this on while I was in Neiman Marcus yesterday. I am really liking this one a lot! Smoky incense and sandalwood, with outstanding sillage and longevity.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 18th January 2009 at 08:04 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ha! I just noticed that TPC (theperfumedcourt.com) now has samples of Sc79Man. I've been wanting to try it.

Would anyone know where it might be available online in Europe?

Basenotes Institution

It reminded me of a more smoky French Lover by Frederic Malle.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Ha! I just noticed that TPC (theperfumedcourt.com) now has samples of Sc79Man. I've been wanting to try it.

Would anyone know where it might be available online in Europe?
    http://www.parfumdreams.de/jil-sander/scent-79-man
    My Wardrobe

Great scent, it kind of reminds me of Anteus, but softer.
    It also reminds me of Encre Noir, the way the vetiver plays in and out.
    bergdorf and neiman's have it for 90., Jil Sanders boutique 159.
    but what I love the most is that the sillage stays very close to the skin, making it very easy to wear, it seems appropriate for any occasion.
    Last edited by musclegod007; 19th January 2009 at 02:41 AM.

I recently bought all three of the most recent Jil Sander scents for men, including Scent 79, Man and Man Absolute (Is any other line of fragrances as confusing in the naming convention as Jil Sander's?) and am testing them. I have to confess: my initial impression of Scent 79 was not good. It seemed to me on first test to be unimpressive and generic but, my nose was pretty tired the day I tested so I am holding off a real review after a second wearing next week. Absolute Man (I am wearing it now in late drydown) is the most evocative of Jil Sander scents of old (Background) with a glorious take on vanilla and incense. It reminds me a bit of Kenzoair with a base of creamy vanilla.

I have only paper tested Man but liked it and will skin test it later.

Which is your favorite Jil Sander? Glad you asked: Without a doubt, Background (the the original Man aint bad either). I have enough Background cached to last me a life time.

Man and Absolute Man are available in the US only at Jil Sander stores. I called the one in lower Manhattan, spoke to an extremely helpful SA named Jimmy and bought them. Go to the Store Locator on the Jil Sander website: http://www.jilsander.com/

I try it every time I'm near a Neiman Marcus, which is the perfect stage set for this 80s revival, and every time I smell it I think to myself, is this what my life has been reduced to, chasing down, what Tania Sanchez refers to as a well crafted masculine?
    If this gets you excited, I suggest you check out the re-issue of the Donna Karan 80's classic Fuel for Men. Both quite good, mind you, but do they make you feel alive?
    It's very tempting, in these humor impaired, un-ironic times, that we find ourselves enduring, to hop into the time machine and speed back to the future, back to the pre-Martha Stewart, everything old is better times, do as I say, not as I do, etc., etc., but I prefer progress.
    David Bowie summed up this re-formulated, re-packaged concept very well in his song Teenage Wildlife, 'Same old thing, in brand new drag, comes sweeping into view.'
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th January 2009 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    According to the German PR blurb, these are new fragrances - contemporary renditions of the originals. Perfumers are Evelyne Boulanger and Marc Buxton of Symrise. While I'm lucky enough to have a lifetime supply of the original 1981 Man Pure, I definitely look forward to testing them. Could it be true that Coty finally produced something significant after all these years?

http://www.cosmoty.de/news/2040/
    God I envy you!

To this undisciplined nose after day long testing of each:

Jil Sander Scent 79: an unnecessarily complex cousin of Aramis Havana without the balls. Eh.

Jil Sander Man (new): Kenzo Tokyo whispering back and forth with Bulgari Black (wait for the dry down. It's there). Oh, I suppose...if there isn't anything else to wear.

Jil Sander Man Absolute: Michael for Men with the middle range (vanilla) turned up to 11 and a tiny drop of cumin for shits and giggles. The one I would wear.

All are ok, but the only one that comes close to something interesting and different is Man Absolute. The others

Bump this topic, my jil sander scent 79 man arrived this week. I liked it, but i have the impression that it's not so original. I cannot put my finger, but i know that i have already smelled something very similar to it. Does anybody knows which scent, besides the original, this one is similar?