Code of Conduct

Default Lanvin's Arpege Pour Homme

I finally bought this one today, as it was going quite cheaply - which doesn't surprise me.

I could be wrong but to my mind this scent has to have the biggest dud opening notes I've ever come across. They seem dull and lifeless to me. But after an hour has elapsed, the scent suddenly becomes extremely lively and interesting, bearing little relationship to what I originally put on. My wife thought I'd bought a real dud when she sniffed it just after I applied it. But she too thought it was pretty good an hour later.

This appears to be a case where less would be more - if they'd had less of those opening notes, they probably would have sold a lot more of this scent.

Any thoughts?
    Renato

Default Re: Lanvin's Arpege Pour Homme

Renato, I agree that "less is more" with this one.
    Here's what many felt about this scent:
    http://www.community.basenotes.net/s...37;E9ge+lanvin

I love every moment of Arpege's development... but that's just me.

a.

I received it yesterday!!!! Oh I'm lovin' it. I tested it a month ago and placed the order about 10 days ago. It lasts a long time too. Chicks will dig this one I'm sure.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I also love this one. And I find it very similar to Burberry Touch which I also like.

Arpege is a HUGE longevity / sillage monster.
    This will easily last 24 hours.

I tested it many times, but it's not a scent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Renato, I agree that "less is more" with this one.
    Here's what many felt about this scent:
    http://www.community.basenotes.net/s...rp%E9ge+lanvin
    Thanks, I missed that discussion while I was away.

This scent sure has lasting power.
    Renato

Indeed it does Renato.
    I find that if im too liberal with my spraying its creamy qualities (Tonka?) dominate, but when applied in small quantities, I am surrounded with an exotic woody cloak from morning until well into the evening. I have a sample of this that is dwindling, and feel a purchase worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
    I love every moment of Arpege's development... but that's just me.

a.
    Same thing here.
    My favorite oriental since last year.

Nice day,
    François
    Ce message provient du Québec!

This scent does contain great sillage and longevity very powdery.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I, too, like this one very much, but it's getting harder to find out there, which is a pity.

One interesting thing about this is the iris note it shares with Dior Homme; I like it as a foil for that one. They are both beautiful, but I can't decide which I like more. At times, it's one; at other times, the other. What I appreciate about them, I guess, is their strange ability to show each other up in my affections...
    Last edited by JaimeB; 18th November 2007 at 05:40 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Arpege is a HUGE longevity / sillage monster.
    This will easily last 24 hours.

I tested it many times, but it's not a scent for me.
    I think Arpege Pour Homme must contain the same molecule that
    gives Floris Santal its characteristic smell and excellent longevity.
    I think that note is in Gucci Envy also.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    I think Arpege Pour Homme must contain the same molecule that
    gives Floris Santal its characteristic smell and excellent longevity.
    I think that note is in Gucci Envy also.
    It's a good molecule - whatever it is.
    I can think of a dozen scents that would benefit from it.
    Renato

This is exactly what happens when a thread on a particular fragrance is doing the top rounds on the forum. Now i want to get my Arpege ph bottle out from its temporary grave and give it a retest and compare it with the opinions of various members who have posted in this thread.

Unfortunately its so hot these days in Melbourne that i think it would do more harm than good, to Arpege ph if i re-tested it now.

The last time i took a scent out from its grave after reading a thread was Rochas Lui. That turned out fantastic. I hope this one would follow suit.
    I got my bottle of Arpege very cheap (but then isnt it cheaply available everywhere?). This one has to be in the list of Cheap- Gems if i were to believe the positive reviews of most of the members.

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    This is exactly what happens when a thread on a particular fragrance is doing the top rounds on the forum. Now i want to get my Arpege ph bottle out from its temporary grave and give it a retest and compare it with the opinions of various members who have posted in this thread.

Unfortunately its so hot these days in Melbourne that i think it would do more harm than good, to Arpege ph if i re-tested it now.

The last time i took a scent out from its grave after reading a thread was Rochas Lui. That turned out fantastic. I hope this one would follow suit.
    I got my bottle of Arpege very cheap (but then isnt it cheaply available everywhere?). This one has to be in the list of Cheap- Gems if i were to believe the positive reviews of most of the members.

gupts
    That's odd. After not wearing Rochas Lui for nearly a year, I wore it both Saturday and yesterday - and quite heavily too, given our heat wave.

Arpege isn't cheap everywhere. In the last three months in Italy, Berlin and Vienna, and in half a dozen duty free lounges on the way there and back, including Dubai, it was going at it's undiscounted full price.

Glad I wasn't struck by its charm there.
    Renato

I find this fragrance beautifully made and in no way a cheap attempt to capitalise on the legendary name, but I also find it pretty sweet for everyday wear. Very similar, but a bit lighter is Roger & Gallet's L'homme Essentiel. It's definitely worth a shot if you can locate some.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I could be wrong but to my mind this scent has to have the biggest dud opening notes I've ever come across...

Any thoughts?
    Yeah, I think the opening notes are the best part of the fragrance but the fragrance ends up drowning in tedious, standard vanilla and ultimately reminds me of the hoards of Middle American conspicuous consumers.

Women like it though, so that's a good thing. Either way, I threw my bottle away not long ago and had kept it mainly because I liked the top notes.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th November 2007 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Yeah, I think the opening notes are the best part of the fragrance but the fragrance ends up drowning in tedious, standard vanilla and ultimately reminds me of the hoards of Middle American conspicuous consumers.

Women like it though, so that's a good thing. Either way, I threw my bottle away not long ago and had kept it mainly because I liked the top notes.
    Shame we couldn't swap the notes from our respective bottles.
    Renato
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    I find this fragrance beautifully made and in no way a cheap attempt to capitalise on the legendary name, but I also find it pretty sweet for everyday wear. Very similar, but a bit lighter is Roger & Gallet's L'homme Essentiel. It's definitely worth a shot if you can locate some.
    I've just sprayed some of each on my wrists. And Arpege is just as horrible as I remembered it. I'll make another comparison when it transmutes in an hour. They're both spicy orientals.

L'Homme Essential is very underrated, till now, I think I'm the only one who ever posted about it positively, and that was five years ago. I tend to compare Arpege to Scannon Ghost men (lighter) and Celine Fevre (stronger), which have similar spices.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th November 2007 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Don't get me wrong, I like this one. It's different and classy -- definitely not the AQUA VELVA that my parents gave me when I was a teenager! Still, I have a few beefs:

(1) LONGEVITY is NOT good! I find that this fades away to undetectable levels just a couple of hours after application.

(2) The opening pepper note is too strong for my tastes.

(3) The bottle, although beautiful in its sort of retro, art-deco way, is very difficult to hold and NOT designed for ease of use. Whoever designed the bottle obviously was thinking of aesthetics only (like, maybe, this was something that would sit on shelves and be looked at but never worn?).

(4) Finally, what right does this stuff have to cash in on the legendary ARPÈGE name? Where's the famous "ping?"

With all of that said, there is worse stuff out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like this one. It's different and classy -- definitely not the AQUA VELVA that my parents gave me when I was a teenager! Still, I have a few beefs:

(1) LONGEVITY is NOT good! I find that this fades away to undetectable levels just a couple of hours after application.

(2) The opening pepper note is too strong for my tastes.

(3) The bottle, although beautiful in its sort of retro, art-deco way, is very difficult to hold and NOT designed for ease of use. Whoever designed the bottle obviously was thinking of aesthetics only (like, maybe, this was something that would sit on shelves and be looked at but never worn?).

(4) Finally, what right does this stuff have to cash in on the legendary ARPÈGE name? Where's the famous "ping?"

With all of that said, there is worse stuff out there!
    Two points come immediately to mind,
    a. Amazing the extreme difference in longevity of scents on people's skin, and
    b. How on earth does one get that accent on top of the first e in Arpege? Is there a button you push, or do you look around for the name and copy and paste it?
    Cheers
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 22nd November 2007 at 01:26 AM.

Default Re: Lanvin's Arpège Pour Homme

How on earth does one get that accent on top of the first e in Arpege? Is there a button you push, or do you look around for the name and copy and paste it?
    Cheers
    Renato
    Renato:

Here's a link to a site where you can get diacritical marks:

http://www.power-glide.com/newslette...howtotype.html

Default Re: Lanvin's Arpège Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post
    Renato:

Here's a link to a site where you can get diacritical marks:

http://www.power-glide.com/newslette...howtotype.html
    Thanks. I've added it to my Favorites.
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanks Pepe! Neat!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Two points come immediately to mind,
    a. Amazing the extreme difference in longevity of scents on people's skin, and
    b. How on earth does one get that accent on top of the first e in Arpege? Is there a button you push, or do you look around for the name and copy and paste it?
    Cheers
    Renato
    a. Amazing the concept of olfactive fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    a. Amazing the concept of olfactive fatigue.
    Olfactive fatigue isn't a factor here, unless someone says that the scent lasted all day when he first tried it, and only lasted 3 hours after applying it four days in a row.
    Renato

Arpège can be typed out easily if you know the four-digit extended ASCII code
    for the accented "e".

If using a Windows computer, then for the è just hold down the Alt key while
    typing 0232 then let up on the Alt key. Voilá! There you have it.

How did I figure that out? Go to your start menu along the bottom of windows:
    All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Character Map
    Click on the character you want, and it shows you the Alt sequence you need
    to type it.

Regards,
    Tim
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 23rd November 2007 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    Arpège can be typed out easily if you know the four-digit extended ASCII code
    for the accented "e".

If using a Windows computer, then for the è just hold down the Alt key while
    typing 0232 then let up on the Alt key. Voilá! There you have it.

How did I figure that out? Go to your start menu along the bottom of windows:
    All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Character Map
    Click on the character you want, and it shows you the Alt sequence you need
    to type it.

Regards,
    Tim
    Thanks, that's very handy. I've pinned it to the Start Menu.
    Renato