Code of Conduct

Question Ambre Sultan or Amber Absolute?

Okay, if you had to pick between Serge Luten's Ambre Sultan or Tom Ford's Amber Absolute which would you pick? I've only sampled Ambre Sultan and am about to sample Amber Absolute. Can anyone tell me the similarities and/or differences between them? Many thanks...
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Default Re: Ambre Sultan or Amber Absolute?

amber absolute absolutely it's a lot like the Norma Kamali Incense, heady, dark, not gourmand

ambre sultan leaves you smelling like a thai restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    amber absolute absolutely it's a lot like the Norma Kamali Incense, heady, dark, not gourmand ambre sultan leaves you smelling like a thai restaurant
    The oregano note in Ambre Sultan makes all the difference, this is why I prefer Chergui to Ambre Sultan.

Basenotes Institution

It depends - do you want a more AMBER prominent fragrance (Ambre Sultan) or a more INCENSE prominent fragrance (Amber Absolute)?

Like supermarky said, Amber Absolute is all about incense - the name is very confusing. It smells just like a CdG Incense scent - perhaps a blend of Avignon and CdG Man. It has that distinctive sharp incense texture, that you either like or don't. I didn't think it was original enough on it's own (kind of like Cardinal by Heeley) to warrant a full bottle - especially at those Tom Ford Private Blend prices.

Ambre Sultan - well, I can't say enough good things about this fragrance. I have said before, AS is my favorite fragrance in my wardrobe, my one scent I'd take if I was stranded on a desert island, etc. LOVE it's amber note, it's smoky resinous middle notes - and I think it's very sexy on a man. One of Serge Lutens finer moments.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th November 2007 at 04:31 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It depends - do you want a more AMBER prominent fragrance (Ambre Sultan) or a more INCENSE prominent fragrance (Amber Absolute)?

Like supermarky said, Amber Absolute is all about incense - the name is very confusing. It smells just like a CdG Incense scent - perhaps a blend of Avignon and CdG Man. It has that distinctive sharp incense texture, that you either like or don't. I didn't think it was original enough on it's own (kind of like Cardinal by Heeley) to warrant a full bottle - especially at those Tom Ford Private Blend prices.

Ambre Sultan - well, I can't say enough good things about this fragrance. I have said before, AS is my favorite fragrance in my wardrobe, my one scent I'd take if I was stranded on a desert island, etc. LOVE it's amber note, it's smoky resinous middle notes - and I think it's very sexy on a man. One of Serge Lutens finer moments.
    Thanks for your thoughts, mikeperez23. This just reinforces my desire to finally purchase a bottle of AS.
    Last edited by jeffrey; 19th November 2007 at 07:11 PM.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

I find your perceptions interesting.
    I own both, for different reasons.
    Both are full-bodied and rich- but AS is spicier, with more of an edge; AAis smoother and a bit more resinous, to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Amber Absolute is all about incense - the name is very confusing. It smells just like a CdG Incense scent - perhaps a blend of Avignon and CdG Man. It has that distinctive sharp incense texture, that you either like or don't. I didn't think it was original enough on it's own (kind of like Cardinal by Heeley) to warrant a full bottle - especially at those Tom Ford Private Blend prices.

Agreed. I just sampled these two against each other today and Amber Absolute is more about amber and incense and Ambre Sultan is more about amber and spices.
    - Expect the unexpected

Very different fragrances. AS is very hot and very dry. AA (misnamed in that there's a lot more than Amber going on here) is more incense than amber.

AS is a fragrance that is a bit of an effort to wear. It's very beautiful, but it demands your attention. It's also a fragrance that is dynamic; a wearing can go several different ways. As such, it is a more interesting fragrance, more fun to own, but just not reliable. You can't trust AS. So, you can't wear it in a situation where you have to trust your fragrance.

AA is a lot easier to wear, in my opinion. It's very repeatable, very trustworthy. This may make it less interesting to own.

If I had to choose just one, however, I would actually elect AA.

Ambre Sultan is far and away my favourite fragrance. It is hot and dry almost to the point of being scorched. It is beautiful and sexual and just about the best $100 I ever spent. As for Amber Absolute, I also think it's a great fragrance, but it's not amber like AS is amber. I'd agree with Gollnick that AA is safer, but I'd recommend AS simply due to personal bias.

I find the herbal notes in AS very offputting. i find AA much richer and stronger.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

hi there
    I noticed that in your top 6 you have amerigo vespucci I am looking for marina militaria .
    Do you know where this is available?
    I be very grateful for your help
    regards Klaus Lehr
    London
    kdlehr@tiscali.co.uk

Ambre Sultan for me by quite a bit. Love Tom Ford Scents, but the Sultan reins!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kdlehr View Post
    hi there
    I noticed that in your top 6 you have amerigo vespucci I am looking for marina militaria .
    Do you know where this is available?
    I be very grateful for your help
    regards Klaus Lehr
    London
    kdlehr@tiscali.co.uk
    It would so great if the OP came back and answered this 5 years later.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Ambre Sultan is much better and more exotic than Amber Absolute...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Ambre Sultan