Code of Conduct

Default More Cheap Scent Purchases

The other day I bought,
    a 50ml of Lanvin's Arpege for A$25, and
    a 125ml bottle of Ferrari Black for A$19, and
    a 100ml bottle of Fujiyama Black Label for A$20.

Today, I bought,
    a 75ml bottle of Jil Sanders' Sun Men for $18,
    a 50 ml bottle of Kenneth Cole Reaction for A$18,
    a 100ml bottle of Jil Sander's Pure for Men for A$19 and
    a 100ml of Calvin Klein's Eternity Summer for A$25.

Does anybody else share this problem I have, namely of not being able to pass up a scent going really cheap?

Curiously, the Jil Sander Sun Men, Kenneth Cole Reaction and Lanvin's Arpege Homme occupied a lot of shelf space in European perfume stores a month ago, and I didn't see them discounted anywhere. Interesting how they are so apparently unloved down here in Australia. I've mentioned in my other post why I think that the case for Arpege, and a year ago I mentioned what was wrong with Pure Men - namely that it didn't seem to last long, but in fact lasted ages, only requiring some perspiration to reactivate it. Reaction isn't a long lasting scent, but I really don't understand why Sun Men isn't liked more.
    Renato

Default Re: More Cheap Scent Purchases

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you getting these prices mate..?
    In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning, and is refreshed. -Kahlil Gibran

Current Favourites: Mandarine by Il Profvmo, Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by chimera45 View Post
    Whereabouts in Melbourne are you getting these prices mate..?
    The Ferrari Black and Arpege at Chemist Warehouse, the Fujiyama at Perfume Connection, and the last four in a discount perfume store at Direct Factory Outlets next to Southern Cross (Spencer St) Station. The latter also had Calvin Klein's Truth 50ml bottles going for A$20.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 19th November 2007 at 11:38 AM.

Nice one Renato!
    Sun Men is a steal at less than $20! And the Arpége also an amazing deal!
    Enjoy your new purchases!

Congrats on the Jil Sander Sun Men! Would love to have it in my collection actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Nice one Renato!
    Sun Men is a steal at less than $20! And the Arpége also an amazing deal!
    Enjoy your new purchases!
    Thanks Dimitri,
    And to think, I forgot to list my four 35ml bottles of Cuba Cigars that I paid $20 in total for. I'm going to have a hard time getting through all these.
    Renato

nice work renato! you make me really want to test the arpege...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I have the same problem - can't pass discount stores or seasons when they have sales. At the same time, I tend not to buy frags from what I consider low-key companies like gap, banana republic, swiss army, diesel, Kenneth Cole, etc.
    Lanvin and Jil Sander are another story.
    Congrats, Renato. And the question is: do you usually keep them all, or do you swap/sell the ones you dislike, or what? Buying and storing so many must be both joy and a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    I have the same problem - can't pass discount stores or seasons when they have sales. At the same time, I tend not to buy frags from what I consider low-key companies like gap, banana republic, swiss army, diesel, Kenneth Cole, etc.
    Lanvin and Jil Sander are another story.
    Congrats, Renato. And the question is: do you usually keep them all, or do you swap/sell the ones you dislike, or what? Buying and storing so many must be both joy and a problem.
    Yes, it's a problem as I'm a hoarder. It's not as bad as my other hobbies (9 telescopes, 50+ eyepieces, 20 pairs of binoculars, 8 digital cameras) as I can always throw some socks or jumpers out, and stick them in my drawers.

I'm not sure I'd consider Diesel low end - though it seems I'm just about the only fan of Diesel++ and Diesel Zero Plus around here (and Diesel Green was quite nice too). I was surprised on the plane trip back from Italy to learn in a magazine article that Diesel is based in the Italian town of Bassano Del Grappa - where I'd just been living for 9 weeks. I always thought that with a name like Diesel it'd have to be German.
    Renato

Basenotes Institution

Renato - please describe JS Sun Men.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Renato - please describe JS Sun Men.
    I'm hopeless with notes. I mentally think of it as Dali's Laguna minus the marine note but plus some tropical flower like frangipani. The net effect to my nose is similar to that of other ambery fougere scents like Laguna or Boss Elements Aqua.

Because of the amber it's thicker than your typical light, summery, crisp, citrus scents. So it's a thick, rich, summery scent which is probably why some people are negative on it.
    Renato

Today i won a NIB Narciso Rodriguez musc oil for him 50ml from Ebay.fr for 25.5 euros(it sold here for 155euros),my lucky day

Quote Originally Posted by giannis View Post
    Today i won a NIB Narciso Rodriguez musc oil for him 50ml from Ebay.fr for 25.5 euros(it sold here for 155euros),my lucky day
    Bravo Yianni, ontws vrikes NR se katapliktiki timi! Enjoy file!

Sorry mods... momentary lapse of Greek there. Nothing torrid or questionable.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 19th November 2007 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Apology

Geia sou Dimitri!

I didint knew that you are Greek..?(Danish flag?)..
    NR is by far the best designer release this year.

Polla xairetimata:wave:

Yiannis
    quote=Dimitri;1100593]Bravo Yianni, ontws vrikes NR se katapliktiki timi! Enjoy file!

Sorry mods... momentary lapse of Greek there. Nothing torrid or questionable.[/quote]

Yianni, just sent you a PM.
    You may also note the line "Trapped in Daneland" under my username

And i fully agree NR ought to be named FoTY for 2007!

I am one of those who dislikes Sun Man. Went it came out, I liked it and got me a botle,which I still have. But the more I wear it the more I get sick of it. While I usually like sweetish scents, including Joop, I find this sickeningly thick and get tired of this scent very fast.
    There is something wrong with it - for me it lacks something (maybe spices) to be a goo winter scent, and it's too heavy to be good for the summer.