Code of Conduct

Default Neil Morris Fragrance Week 2007

OK, so I missed out on NMF day due to a very slow US Postal Service, but due to ComDiva's amazing generosity, I've actually got enough samples to do an entire NMF week, and it's started off with an amaxing bang...

Today (Monday) is Gotham

...a dark, rich and spicy scent. I'm getting Leather, Rose, Amber and Labdanum mostly. Smells expensive and worldly but a little seedy and risque, much like the rich city to which its name refers. At first this went on a bit slyly, coming on like a lamb, not a lion, but WHOOSH, it's really rared up in the last hour or so, and I'm beaming with well-blended rose and leather, with just a hint of the solid basenotes starting to shine through.

This is one to tell all your friends about, but it's not kid stuff, oh no. This has GROWN UP stamped all over it, bordering between R-rated and Triple-XXX. Sexy, sultry, dark, dare I say.... GOTHIC!

Nice stuff indeed. I can hardly wait to see what other treasures the rest of the week will hold.

Thanks Catherine and thanks Neil Morris!

Default Re: Neil Morris Fragrance Week 2007

Hi Rentboy! Thanks so much for your post! I'm very impressed with your nose as every note you mentioned is in GOTHAM! BRAVO! Some other notes include Narcissus, Tonka Absolute, Yuzu, Black Pepper and Musk. I really love your description of GOTHAM as it captures my intent.

I hope you have fun with the other samples that ComDiva (bless her heart) sent you. Let me know if you have any questions!

Fragrant Dreams!

Neil
    Last edited by Whiffman; 19th November 2007 at 04:55 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    OK, so I missed out on NMF day due to a very slow US Postal Service, but due to ComDiva's amazing generosity, I've actually got enough samples to do an entire NMF week, and it's started off with an amaxing bang...

Today (Monday) is Gotham

...a dark, rich and spicy scent. I'm getting Leather, Rose, Amber and Labdanum mostly. Smells expensive and worldly but a little seedy and risque, much like the rich city to which its name refers. At first this went on a bit slyly, coming on like a lamb, not a lion, but WHOOSH, it's really rared up in the last hour or so, and I'm beaming with well-blended rose and leather, with just a hint of the solid basenotes starting to shine through.

This is one to tell all your friends about, but it's not kid stuff, oh no. This has GROWN UP stamped all over it, bordering between R-rated and Triple-XXX. Sexy, sultry, dark, dare I say.... GOTHIC!

Nice stuff indeed. I can hardly wait to see what other treasures the rest of the week will hold.

Thanks Catherine and thanks Neil Morris!
    Gotham isn't for sale on the NM website, is it?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I don't believe so, mike, i think it's one of the "vault" fragrances
    but i've got a half a sample vial left I'd be happy to pass along. you want?

Basenotes Institution

I don't believe so, mike, i think it's one of the "vault" fragrances
    but i've got a half a sample vial left I'd be happy to pass along. you want?
    I'm not sure if I want to smell it and fall in love with it, and then I can't get it...you feel me?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

All the fragrances in the "Vault" are available now. Just contact us at neil@neilmorrisfragrances.com or david@neilmorrisfragrances.com and we'll take an order. GOTHAM will be one of 10 initial "Vault" fragrances available on our website as of the first of the year.

Neil

Neil, I have to tell you you're batting 1000 here for me. Today I'm in...
    october

I've just applied about a half hour ago, so I'll wait to fully weigh in until I get through these wonderfully aromatic topnotes. So far I'm having a MAJOR scent memory of my grandmother's southern kitchen around the holidays, pumpkin pie with heavy cinnamon and vanilla. LOVING IT!

Basenotes Institution

Neil, I have to tell you you're batting 1000 here for me. Today I'm in...
    october

I've just applied about a half hour ago, so I'll wait to fully weigh in until I get through these wonderfully aromatic topnotes. So far I'm having a MAJOR scent memory of my grandmother's southern kitchen around the holidays, pumpkin pie with heavy cinnamon and vanilla. LOVING IT!
    Yes - October is (right behind Quest) as my fav' NM scent. It just kept getting better and better the longer it was on my skin. I mentioned on the womens thread that it smelled initially like those lollipops that are flavored like Coca-Cola. That smell! Then it spices up a little more. I could own October easily.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Another great scent is Cafe-
    I begged for a bottle of the pure oil !
    It captures the best coffee, fresh air scent I've ever worn-
    And lasts a long time.
    Unusual and comforting at the same time.

Ah, I just received my samples of October and Cafe and my full bottle of Gotham on Monday.

I LOVE October. And of course, I just adore Gotham - its brilliant.

October for me is very much akin to Serge Lutens Arabie, which I adore. But I think October is even better.

Neil also has the honor of creating the only Gardenia fragrance that I care to wear. Gardenia for Men is an absolute masterpiece. Beg him for a sample.

This man, what can I say? I love him. Hes the kind of guy you just want to immediately add to your Christmas card list.

And hes now in Takashimaya!! So happy am I!
    Last edited by MarkDavid; 21st November 2007 at 10:51 AM.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Sorry I never got back around to talking more about October, had a h-e-l-l-i-s-h day at work yesterday, not much time for BN.

But October definitely stood the test. It grounded my mood while all else was flying around me in chaotic turmoil, its spiciness and strength really hung in there, allowing me to do the same. I was half expecting it to turn sweet and all vanilla notes at the end, like so many frags do, but instead it got SPICIER, more cinnamon, more spice, less sweet. I really loved it.

Today is winner number 3 - one of my favorite notes - neroli....

Midnight Sea is really bringing it in a big way. Sweet floral neroli through and through. Reminds me a bit of Neroli 36 (or is it Fleur d'Oranger?) Gorgeous, but with a touch of saltiness that neither of those has. I expected "oceanic" from the Sea in the name, but I'm not getting of that overplayed ozonic stuff. Instead this is briny waves crashing, blossoming orange trees and white flowers overlooking the vantage point, with just a touch of something carnal (just a hint of musk, maybe?) that lends itself to a passionate embrace soundtracked by waves crashing in utter darkness.

Heady stuff, and incredibly well blended.

So far every single fragrance is one I'd wear again (and again). each is FBW and today's may be one I actually buy - is it available with the other vault frags?

Thanks again Neil and ComDiva! You're making my week a beautiful place.

Hi Mark David!

Thanks for your kind words! I'm so glad you're loving October. It's one I wear a lot this time of year. And I can't tell you how pleased I am that you like Flowers For Men - Gardenia! I know that you're not usually a Gardenia fan. And wear Gotham in good health, my friend!

Thank you, Rentboy, for your post on Midnight Sea! I have to confess this is one of my favorites. ComDiva loves it too. "A passionate embrace soundtracked by waves crashing in utter darkness." WOW! Direct hit! That's exactly what I was going for. I'm most impressed by your use of the word "utter." Thanks for your insight. And yes, it is going to be one of the "Vault" fragrances and is available to you now, if you'd like.

Here are some of the notes: Waterlily, Mandarin, Vanilla, Dark Musk, Patchouli and 2 distinctly different Marine Notes.

Fragrant Dreams!

Neil

Wow, no neroli? I was getting major neroli in the topnotes - maybe the blend of mandarin and waterlily? In any event, love it love it love it. Thanks again!!
    --------------------------------------
    Day4: Quest (but I'm told it's not the current formulation)

My nose is actually getting lots of competition today due to baking and cooking going on in the house in preparation for the big dinner later, but this one just doesn't seem to have the quality of combination/blending that the others from the Vault had. Don't get me wrong this one still smells classy, and expensive, but I'm just not feeling it right away like I did with the other three. I'll have to try the updated version and.or the remainder of this sample on another day and report back. Truly might be nose fatigue as I've been cooking homemade cobbler and cornbread and pie and all those gourmet smells have probably warped my olfactory for the day
    Last edited by rentboy; 22nd November 2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Day4: Quest (but I'm told it's not the current formulation)

My nose is actually getting lots of competition today due to baking and cooking going on in the house in preparation for the big dinner later, but this one just doesn't seem to have the quality of combination/blending that the others from the Vault had. Don't get me wrong this one still smells classy, and expensive, but I'm just not feeling it right away like I did with the other three. I'll have to try the updated version and.or the remainder of this sample on another day and report back. Truly might be nose fatigue as I've been cooking homemade cobbler and cornbread and pie and all those gourmet smells have probably warped my olfactory for the day
    I found that Quest really revealed itself to me, only after a few hours into application. I remember it kind of 'coming alive' on me, and all of a sudden I was thinking, 'What is that smell?' and it was my Quest. Sneaky one.

Also - I wore the last of my October sample all Thanksgiving Day and I really like it. It has a tangy spicy smell that I've never encountered before (I wanted to chew the smell, if that makes sense). Big thumbs up on this one guys. I would have started a whole new thread on a mini review of October, but I thought it might not be a good idea to do until you can actually buy a bottle.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

My daughter & I went into NYC today to visit Neil & David at Takashimaya's. He's on the first floor near the back but right in the center. How wonderful to see him there & hear him tell the stories which helped him to create each scent. I love loads of his fragrances, mostly from the "vault" line (available upon request). However, for some reason I had never tried Zephyr which is in his regular line. Here's what he had to say about Zephyr:
    "I was inspired to create Zephyr on a hot day in August, the air humid, still and oppressive. Suddenly, seemingly from out of nowhere, a cool breeze kissed the back of my neck, bringing instant relief from the heat. A zephyr, a refreshing breeze.

Zephyr begins with Top Notes of Tangerine and Papaya that combine with lovely Heart Notes of Honeysuckle and Casablanca Lily, accented with Notes of White Tea. The Base Notes are a comforting blend of Sandalwood, Amber and Ocean Musk."

It's beautiful! Even though I walked in wearing Assam, I walked out with a bottle of Zephyr. It is stunning on me, or so I was told by several strangers.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Can't begin to tell you how wonderful it was to see you and Sophie on Sunday, RHM!! And I'm glad I had the opportunity to tell you and Sophie some of the stories behind the perfumes. Zephyr smelled AWESOME on you! It loves your skin chemistry!! Thanks again!

Neil
    --------------------------------------
    Hi Mike!

Just to let you all know - OCTOBER and all the VAULT fragrances are available now. Simply contact David at 617.256.7626 and tell him what you'd like and he'll take care of it. Enjoy!

Neil
    Last edited by Whiffman; 10th December 2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost