Code of Conduct

Default Ambre Precieux vs Ambre Sultan

Well, after doing some extensive research on these two, I'm surprised they haven't been pitted against each other (especially in forum threads). So, which one do you most prefer and why?
    Last edited by Trebor; 19th November 2007 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ambre Precieux vs Ambre Sultan

Ambre Precieux by far.
    More wearable and suitable for man.

Giannis

Off-Scenter

It's a hard call - they're two of the best amber scents out there. Maybe even the two best amber scents out there. Ambre Precieux is easier to wear, (read: "less aggresively animalic/raunchy") and more balanced. It's also more conventional to my nose than Ambre Sultan. Perhaps that's why, despite its difficult oregano-seasoned opening, I wear Ambre Sultan and not Ambre Precieux.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 19th November 2007 at 04:51 PM.

I don't think they're compared very often because Ambre Sultan is an in-your-face amber attack (but a good one), while Ambre Precieux is one of the more muted and balanced amber fragrances out there. It's much more wearable and doesn't have nearly the same sillage or sweetness. I prefer Precieux for that reason.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 19th November 2007 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Precieux's well made with great Peru Balsam in the base. I bought a bottle and wore the juice a lot but lost interest within two months. That's definitely not the case with Sultan.

Hmmm... 2:2.

Thanks for your replies. Please keep 'em coming!

Post Thanks / Like

I like them both, but decided to purchase Precieux over Sultan because it is less sweet and slightly medicinal, which I like. They are both great fragrances and I might get Sultan down the road if I decide I need a second amber. It is also perhaps worth noting that Sultan is almost twice the price of Precieux.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread and very timely too!

My SotD is Ambre Sultan and I had a sample of Ambre Precieux just waiting to be tried.

My nose is not very sophisticated but I am getting what I can only describe as a gourmand feeling from Ambre Precieux. That is not necessarily a bad thing but it surprised me because I don't associate any of the notes with gourmandishness. As others have said, it is very well behaved. It can traverse a balance beam without a bobble. Ambre Canelle, however, is one of my favorite ambers and Ambre Precieux is too similar for me to justify a separate purchase.

IMO, Ambre Sultan is a very different animal than either Canelle or Precieux. Not only does it earn a perfect 10 on the uneven bars but smashes the balance beam in the process of dismounting.

Ambre Precieux is an excellent fragrance, but my heart is with Ambre Sultan.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

I have both, but find myself wearing Ambre Sultan much more than Ambre Precieux. I love the intoxicating exoticness of Ambre Sultan. Some have mentioned Ambre Sultan as being sweet, not to my nose. I get more of a spicey incense amber aroma.

Well, I received my sample of AP yesterday and tried some on my wrist. It wasn't as resinous or in your face but definitely smoother. However, I found it to be too well-behaved on my skin for my tastes. Based on my experience with both of them, I'm going to go with AS.

I remember hating AS at first but now it intoxicates me. I also take back the similarities between AS and L'Air. Yes, they both have amber in the composition but L'Air has a spicy, and yet creamy, leather quality about it in the drydown - AS maintains its carnal and resinous amber qualities during the drydown.

I was hoping to pass on AS for some other amber scent but I always keep coming back to it - Ambre Russe is too light and boozy, Blue Amber contains a glue or petroleum note in the drydown that I hate (and it also outstays its welcome) and Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé lacks any substance (smells nice, though).

Anyway, I'm going to pick up a bottle of AS, today, after work.

Interesting thread. I'm toying with the idea of purchasing the MPG blind. I've tried, repeatedly, Amber Sultan and there's just something about it that turns me off. It's almost like I'm getting a subtle vomit note... I've read that Ambre Precieux is woodier, which should be much more to my tastes.

Can anyone confirm, comment, etc.?
    BNIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Rive Gauche pH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), MPG Racine, Obsession, etc.:
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    Interesting thread. I'm toying with the idea of purchasing the MPG blind. I've tried, repeatedly, Amber Sultan and there's just something about it that turns me off. It's almost like I'm getting a subtle vomit note... I've read that Ambre Precieux is woodier, which should be much more to my tastes.

Can anyone confirm, comment, etc.?
    To me, Ambre Precieux is smoother and more 'people friendly' than Ambre Sultan but I don't consider it to be significantly woodier.

Edwards classifies Ambre Precieux as an Oriental - Rich, while Ambre Sultan is classed as a Soft Oriental - Rich.

To his nose then, I would infer that Ambre Precieux smells somewhat more woody (exotic woods) than ambery.

I hope that helps, but I am sorry that Ambre Sultan didn't work for you - it is my favorite amber.

[If you are getting rid of yours - PM me!]
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Thanks for your input! Yeah, I was really hoping AS would work for me - it's only a sample so, unfortunately, nothing to trade.

I guess what I'd really hope for in Ambre Precieux is an ambery, sweeter take on Santal Noble, which I adore! I have seen them compared in the past, but my dislike of Ambre Sultan has unnerved me somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    To me, Ambre Precieux is smoother and more 'people friendly' than Ambre Sultan but I don't consider it to be significantly woodier.

Edwards classifies Ambre Precieux as an Oriental - Rich, while Ambre Sultan is classed as a Soft Oriental - Rich.

To his nose then, I would infer that Ambre Precieux smells somewhat more woody (exotic woods) than ambery.

I hope that helps, but I am sorry that Ambre Sultan didn't work for you - it is my favorite amber.

[If you are getting rid of yours - PM me!]
    BNIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Rive Gauche pH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), MPG Racine, Obsession, etc.:
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what I'd really hope for in Ambre Precieux is an ambery, sweeter take on Santal Noble, which I adore!
    I probably can't do a side-by-side comparison until this weekend, but I have enough left in my sample of Precieux to compare it to Santal Noble. I will do that and let you know what I think!

I probably can't do a side-by-side comparison until this weekend, but I have enough left in my sample of Precieux to compare it to Santal Noble. I will do that and let you know what I think!
    Excellent, that would be really helpful! Thanks
    (swaps)
    (sales)

ebear,

How long have you had your sample of AS for? It's just that it's taken me over 18 months to really appreciate AS. I really thought it was vile at first but, through testing and wearing other amber dominant fragrances, AS gradually grew on me. It's only now that I can say I love the stuff.

So, maybe in time, that vomit note (which I agree with you about) may turn into the very note that compels more than revolts. I now consider this note (ambergis?) to be crucial to the overall composition of AS.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Well, I received my sample of AP yesterday and tried some on my wrist. It wasn't as resinous or in your face but definitely smoother. However, I found it to be too well-behaved on my skin for my tastes. Based on my experience with both of them, I'm going to go with AS.

I remember hating AS at first but now it intoxicates me. I also take back the similarities between AS and L'Air. Yes, they both have amber in the composition but L'Air has a spicy, and yet creamy, leather quality about it in the drydown - AS maintains its carnal and resinous amber qualities during the drydown.

I was hoping to pass on AS for some other amber scent but I always keep coming back to it - Ambre Russe is too light and boozy, Blue Amber contains a glue or petroleum note in the drydown that I hate (and it also outstays its welcome) and Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé lacks any substance (smells nice, though)

Anyway, I'm going to pick up a bottle of AS, today, after work.
    My experiences with most of these parallel yours so closely that it's eery! Ambre Precieux is beautiful, but on me it lacks the raunchy, animalic edge that makes Ambre Sultan so appealing. Mind you, it's nowehre near as polite (read: "wimpy") as the L'Artisan ambers, but still less edgy than I'd like.

It took me a long time to warm up to Ambre Sultan. Have a look at my early review - which I'm now more than willing to eat. I agree that Ambre Russe while appealing and individual, lacks a certain weight, and I was utterly disappointed by Ambre Narguile: it was toothless, gutless, and way too gourmand on me. The note you described as "glue" in Blue Amber was the most interesting thing about it for me, but once that cleared, the body of the scent seemed non-descript.

As for that "vomit" note in Ambre Sultan, I agree with you that it's probably ambergris, perhaps accentuated by oregano. I believe it's also the ambergris in the base of many Creed scents that's responsible for what some have indelicately termed the "ass" note. You're right to observe that for some of this that pungent animalic grows from repulsive to compelling.

Hats off to Ambre Sultan - for me it's still the one to beat!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 22nd November 2007 at 03:28 PM.

Vibert,

I've always valued your reviews, even though our tastes are somewhat different. I'm also glad someone else thinks the same way that I do about the other amber scents. I've never tried the L'Artisan ambers simply because all their fragrances seem watered down (even the extreme versions). You're spot on about the oregano note, though - that came to me shortly after posting.

With regard to amber scents, AS is definitely the dog's bollocks!

Post Thanks / Like

I took a while to appreciate AS too. There was a note in the top that REALLY bothered me and I hated it. But once I realised that it was a herbal note a lot like oregano or some other aromatic 'cooking' herb. Once my mind realised this it was no longer that 'nasty niff' that I could not work out but was actually a nice herby smell that spikes up the soft amber I was happy with it.

I guess for me I need to understand a scent to be comfortable with it's composition.

Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post
    I took a while to appreciate AS too. There was a note in the top that REALLY bothered me and I hated it. But once I realised that it was a herbal note a lot like oregano or some other aromatic 'cooking' herb. Once my mind realised this it was no longer that 'nasty niff' that I could not work out but was actually a nice herby smell that spikes up the soft amber I was happy with it.

I guess for me I need to understand a scent to be comfortable with it's composition.
    I guess that's why AS was always kept in the back of my mind. Every French woman I've spoken to adores this stuff - I think that always intrigued me, especially being such an admirer of French women (as mad as they are!). I suppose it was only a matter of time before I cracked the code...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post

I had the EXACT same experience with the top notes of AS. After hating it at first, then struggling with it for some time, my feelings towards it have since reached a plateau. I have the utmost respect for it, but it's not a scent that I particularly like to wear or that I want to own. When I do wear it, though, I do end up liking it it a lot far into the drydown, as it's captivating the way the spices linger around the amber that has since subdued substantially.
    Trebor, as for L'Artisan, Amber Extreme is far from soft...that scent is a monster! One of the biggest siillage monsters I have ever experienced. It was in fact too much for me simply because it was straight, in your face over the top amber and creates this massive and persistant amber cloud around you when you wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Strangely these two are the only ambers I have tried so far. There's something foody and heady about Ambre Sultan and something strangely cedary, sharp and sweet in Ambre Precieux. Maybe I am still looking for that perfectly smooth amber or maybe its not a note for me.
    -

Off-Scenter

Post Re: Ambre Precieux vs Ambre Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Strangely these two are the only ambers I have tried so far. There's something foody and heady about Ambre Sultan and something strangely cedary, sharp and sweet in Ambre Precieux. Maybe I am still looking for that perfectly smooth amber or maybe its not a note for me.
    Hmm. I've found Ambre Precieux quite smooth, though more intense than the demure entries from L'Artisan Parfumeur or the comparatively "padded" amber of Ambre Narguile. Golden Amber, from Becker.eshaya is an altogether different approach to amber, with a soft, fluffy, almost dreamy character. (See my review here.) I found it too soft to wear comfortably, but I do think it's an outstanding scent. You may want to sample it if you're looking for something creamier than Ambre Precieux, but still individual and full of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Hmm. I've found Ambre Precieux quite smooth, though more intense than the demure entries from L'Artisan Parfumeur or the comparatively "padded" amber of Ambre Narguile. Golden Amber, from Becker.eshaya is an altogether different approach to amber, with a soft, fluffy, almost dreamy character. (See my review here.) I found it too soft to wear comfortably, but I do think it's an outstanding scent. You may want to sample it if you're looking for something creamier than Ambre Precieux, but still individual and full of character.
    Vibert, I've just read your review of Golden Amber and, while I'm intrigued by your description, it certainly doesn't make me want to rush out and try it (if I can find somewhere to test it, that is). Still, it's another option for those looking for a different amber scent.

Oh, I forgot to mention Aoud ambre in my previous post - the worse amber fragrance I've tested so far. I hardly got any amber or aoud from it, just a light (and lame) musk accord with faint traces of what I was expecting. For a Montale aoud, I was sorely disappointed. For those interested in the Montale aoud line, avoid this one!
    Last edited by Trebor; 22nd November 2007 at 07:49 PM.

Your assumption is correct, Trebor, I've only had it a couple of months. I will say that I find it less offensive now than I did initially, lol, but I'm still miles away from considering a purchase. But I will certainly revisit it from time to time and not give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    ebear,

How long have you had your sample of AS for? It's just that it's taken me over 18 months to really appreciate AS. I really thought it was vile at first but, through testing and wearing other amber dominant fragrances, AS gradually grew on me. It's only now that I can say I love the stuff.

So, maybe in time, that vomit note (which I agree with you about) may turn into the very note that compels more than revolts. I now consider this note (ambergis?) to be crucial to the overall composition of AS.
    (swaps)
    (sales)

ebear, based on what you said, I'm sure you'll discover the wonders of AS when the time's right for you.

Now, I've just had a brainwave - Spiritueuse Double Vanille layered with Ambre Sultan... Man, I think I need to be careful with this one, as it may be too much for the women...
    Last edited by Trebor; 22nd November 2007 at 08:56 PM.

Indeed I may. It fascinates me how our perceptions can change and evolve over time. This is true for most everything, of course, but with fragrances, it's just so utterly apparent.

So what do you (and others) think about the MPG as a blind buy? A friend is coming over from the US in a couple of weeks, so if I hurry, I can get it at (relatively) cheap US prices. Any similarities with Santal Noble?
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Off-Scenter

...So what do you (and others) think about the MPG as a blind buy? A friend is coming over from the US in a couple of weeks, so if I hurry, I can get it at (relatively) cheap US prices. Any similarities with Santal Noble?
    I actually think that unless you're opposed to amber in general, Ambre Precieux is one of the safest ambers for a blind buy. To my nose it has little in common with Santal Noble, except for the same outstanding quality. The many positive reviews in the Basenotes directory (and elsewhere) speak for themselves.

Thanks. Yeah, the (mostly) positive reviews sparked my interest in the first place. My only reservation from reading people's comments is that it might turn out to be just another soft, ambery, sweet, unisex fragrance without much personality. Then again, my (albeit limited) experience with MPG so far has shown me that their products are anything but common and dull. I think I'm going to risk the blind buy. Will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I actually think that unless you're opposed to amber in general, Ambre Precieux is one of the safest ambers for a blind buy. To my nose it has little in common with Santal Noble, except for the same outstanding quality. The many positive reviews in the Basenotes directory (and elsewhere) speak for themselves.
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

Then again, my (albeit limited) experience with MPG so far has shown me that their products are anything but common and dull. I think I'm going to risk the blind buy. Will report back.
    ebear, it looks like you have already made your decision. I won't do the side-by-side then. I'll hold on to what's left of my Ambre Precieux sample in case a similar question comes up in the future.

Speaking of Amber, has anyone tried Profumum's Ambra Aurea? First of all, Luckyscent describes it lusciously, and secondly, the color of the fragrance is this deep reddish color. I'd love to know more about this one if anyone's tried it.

Yes, TwoRoads, I took the blind plunge - but many thanks again for the offer! I'll be getting the AP mid December, I'm looking forward to it. Will post my impressions.

ebear, it looks like you have already made your decision. I won't do the side-by-side then. I'll hold on to what's left of my Ambre Precieux sample in case a similar question comes up in the future.
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Off-Scenter

Thanks. Yeah, the (mostly) positive reviews sparked my interest in the first place. My only reservation from reading people's comments is that it might turn out to be just another soft, ambery, sweet, unisex fragrance without much personality. Then again, my (albeit limited) experience with MPG so far has shown me that their products are anything but common and dull. I think I'm going to risk the blind buy. Will report back.
    Eau d'Ambre it aint.

(Ducks and covers.)