Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Question about Serge Lutenís?

Hello everyone,

After having read mostly rave reviews about SL’s here and on other perfume forums, my curiosity got the best of me, and I decided to try them out – and have been working my way through decants from Perfumed Court. Thus far have tried Datura Noir, Sa Majeste la Rose, A La Nuit, Arabie, and Ambre Sultan – and today am trying Fleurs d’Oranger.

I actually have like all of them – no problems with the scents – they are initially very appealing – though I would not call any a “knockout” that I must have, because, after the first hour or so, they fade into oblivion. I can press my wrists to my nose and still smell them faintly – and they all smell much the same towards the end, but perhaps I am expecting too much?

I am not a “perfume eater” in body chemistry – have no problem with my Guerlain’s, and other scents that have remained in my wardrobe. I get long lasting scent and sillage from my wardrobe favs and some new Caron acquisitions.

I guess I am disappointed. Perhaps I was expecting too much. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it simply something in my personal chemistry or perhaps my olfactory preferences?
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 19th November 2007 at 06:46 PM.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question about Serge Lutenís?

That's a bit strange, they're usually very long lasting.

Note - for the "must haves", try the non-export line (Tubereuse Criminelle, Iris Silver Mist, etc.). The export scents are "nice", but imo, don't compare with the paris-only exclusives.

Indeed, most Lutenses have excellent longevity, some last well over a day. It could be a chemistry issue but I wouldn't know the precise source of that. Sorry to hear about your experience.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Off-Scenter

Odd indeed, as most people find the Lutens scents very tenacious. Is it possible that you're becoming habituated to the scents and losing track of them, even as others can still smell them on you?

Sofresh has a point regarding the non-export line. It contains some of the wackier and/or sophisticated entries, including Muscs Koublai Khan, Fumerie Turque, Cuir Mauresque, Tubereuse Criminelle, Mandarine-Mandarin, Borneo 1834, and Chene. Of the export scents, I find Ambre Sultan, Gris Clair, and Sa Majeste la Rose especially satisfying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Odd indeed, as most people find the Lutens scents very tenacious. Is it possible that you're becoming habituated to the scents and losing track of them, even as others can still smell them on you?

Sofresh has a point regarding the non-export line. It contains some of the wackier and/or sophisticated entries, including Muscs Koublai Khan, Fumerie Turque, Cuir Mauresque, Tubereuse Criminelle, Mandarine-Mandarin, Borneo 1834, and Chene. Of the export scents, I find Ambre Sultan, Gris Clair, and Sa Majeste la Rose especially satisfying.
    mmmmm...mandarine mandarin

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    mmmmm...mandarine mandarin
    Actually, everyone besides me seems to dislike it...

Post Thanks / Like

Not me...one of my fav's. Doesn't seem to get many favourable reviews though. Probably the celery/amber/fish combo. Works for me though!

Post Thanks / Like

I like it a lot. I'm hoping that it will make it ashore here sometime soon....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: Question about Serge Lutenís?

(snip)
    I don't think I've had time to become habituated to them - since I've only been testing with small decants - and they basically have only given me two days wearing. On the other hand - I've been wearing L'Heure Bleu for years - and it is just as fresh and sniffable all day as when I first tried it in the early seventies.

My husband, and the school secretary are my "outside sniff testers" She always loves scents I wear and remarks upon them when I go into her office. I am not one of these people that over-applies perfume, nor do I leave a trail of scent behind me, but I do like a person who is standing fairly close to get a mild whiff.

My husband doesn't smell my scents till he gets home - fairly late in the evening and I know it's a keeper if he comments in the evening when we are in bed. I don't normally re-apply scent during the day, but with the SL's I've had to do a re-application at around 3PM - and sadly by 9PM they are a faint memory.

Some of them I have liked very much - sadly I can't see myself investing in something that I have to carry around with me, refreshing frequently.

Just re-spritzed the Fleurs díOranger which I really adore, and tomorrow will try one of the last two to test - Douce Amere or Santal Blanc.

I have read here that other people have skin that seems to eat up perfumes - am just puzzled about why I only seem to eat these. Could it be the lack of some element found in Guerlains and Carons? Don't know enough perfume chemistry to even know how to frame this question well. Could it be that I am using decants?
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Dear DeeOlive; sorry to hear about your longevity problems with Serge Lutens. I cannot see that the scent has been decanted could cause the problem, though...
    I am myself fairly new into the *SL obsession*, the only one I have a whole bottle of yet is Un Bois Vanille, and I am surprised with it's great staying power.
    Maybe you are used to wearing your scents in perfume strength?? I have yet to have a scent last on me for a whole day, unless it' s pure perfume....
    Good luck on your further testing of this line, and please keep us posted!
    Last edited by musse; 19th November 2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Can' t spell
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

Are your decants vials or sprays? If they're in vials/dabbers, try putting them in a spray atomizer. I have a hard time smelling when I dab things on...maybe you're the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks sofresh - will try that - but I am more of a dab and splash (not spritz) person with most scents. Will see if this helps - but how would that make it last longer?
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Thanks sofresh - will try that - but I am more of a dab and splash (not spritz) person with most scents. Will see if this helps - but how would that make it last longer?
    I guess it all depends on your nose...I find it easier to smell things when they're sprayed...possibly because the scent is spread out more? Usually something I try when I find it hard to detect something.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I have the same problem with Ambre Sultan, it seems to disappear in around 3-4 hours (although after a couple it is virtually gone). I also have Chergui which I have no issues with (lasts very well) and Fumerie Turque which is not quite so long lasting but no real complaints.
    Last edited by r2s; 19th November 2007 at 10:36 PM.

Every single SL scent I've tried (all export except for ISM) has incredible lasting power.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I find SL to very long lasting as well. I can't think of any reason why they disappear on you. I doubt it could have anything to do with the fact that they're samples. How much are you applying? And someone else mentioned that you may be used to using parfum strength concentrations. All SL's are EdP, so maybe that's why. Two of my favourites, Cedre and Daim Blond, Haute Concentration, and they definitely have lasting power. Maybe you'd do better with them.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Post Thanks / Like

I've also had the opposite experience with SL... I've worn & loved Daim Blond, Chergui, Fumerie Turque, and Un Bois de Sepia, and they seem to last longer than most any other perfume I try. (Miel de Bois also lasted forever, but that was not a good thing, at least for me.)
    Sniff and let sniff.

Post Thanks / Like

Odd! I am a perfume eater, but Ambre Sultan lasts well on me and Miel de Bois is so tenacious it doesn't come off until I have a bath!
    Angel EDP, on the other hand, which lasts forever on most, only lasts 4-5 hours on me.

Post Thanks / Like

SL has big sillage and lasts forever. Very strange.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you everyone for your responses. Looks like I will have to decide which one I liked the best after I finish testing samples - and order - not a decant but a whole bottle and try that way. I guess if it doesn't work I could swap it with someone here. I think, after reading your replies, that the problem may be that the small decant has not allowed me to apply enough for my body chemistry.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Quite possibly. I have to apply a lot of fragrance to get much back, and I need to apply the majority to my torso as fragrance wears away from my arms pretty quickly (typing on a hot laptop kills anything on my wrists within an hour!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question about Serge Luten’s?

Sometimes a scent project grandly and last forever on my clothes, but not on my skin. For example, Bulgare Au The Rouge. It disappeared on my wrist, but my coat sleeve smelled divine all day. Try that for a test. Dab some on a sleeve and compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Will do (clothing test and other body areas)
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Heh Purplebird - I wore some Narcisse Noir EDT (the dregs of my sample vile) to bed the other night and I can still smell it on the covers. Sadly it only lasts a couple of hours on me. I'd like to try the parfum.

I think your problem with the staying power of the Serge Lutens perfumes is possibly down to your fondness of Guerlain's L'huere bleu ,i bought a bottle of this in edp for my g/f last year and it is without doubt the most tenacious sillage monster i have experience of personally and anything will have a hard act to follow after that regarding longevity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you Fenton,

While I admit to a fondness for L'Heure Bleu - I don't wear it eveyday - I think my perfume wardrobe is fairly diverse - though with clear preferences and/or themes. I would never call LHB a "sillage monster" (or any form of monster at all). - perhaps over application could make it so - but as I stated earlier, I'm not a fan of filling a room with my scent preference. I do however lke to smell it on myself after an hour or so has passed.

Case in point - today am testing MPG Rose Opulente; applied early AM two sprays (this came in a spray tester) and the lovely scent of rose has stayed with me so far all day. It doesn't seem to be fading from the stage two after top notes settled. Hugged my students goodbye for Thanksgiving break about 1:45 minutes ago - and 3 of them asked me what scent I was wearing - they liked it. Was surprised since I think of my college age girls only appreciating things by JLo and other celebs.

I will give the SL's another chance by changing mode of application. If that does not solve the problem - I will cease and desist - and accept the maxim "different strokes for different folks".
    Chanakya

Here's a thought from a perfumer friend-
    She sprays some of her favorite fragrance into an unscented cream / lotion, then applies the frag on top.
    Might be worth a shot !

DeeOlive - I've found that my nose is not nearly as sensitive as I would like this time of year - especially with the weather swinging erratically between hot and cold.

As a result, I find that some of the SLs, Montales, and other houses known for lasting scents seem to "fade" on me as well. I'm just not picking up the base. But when I try those scents on other days, they seem to last longer and I pick up more nuances.

My nose doesn't even feel particularly stuffy when I go through these anosmic periods.

So I just set aside those scents for awhile (a few weeks - at least) and retest. Besides, it gives me a chance to see how the scents will behave in different weather and in different moods.

Of course - roping a good friend into being your sniffing buddy can also help confirm whether your skin is eating the perfume....
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you sakecat and chayaruchama.

I have taken a chance and am trying one SL in a full sized bottle - since I saw here on the boards that I can get a 25% discount this month

If that doesn't work - it will go into my swap file! Will let you know how it goes.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question about Serge Luten’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Heh Purplebird - I wore some Narcisse Noir EDT (the dregs of my sample vile) to bed the other night and I can still smell it on the covers. Sadly it only lasts a couple of hours on me. I'd like to try the parfum.
    Yes, isn't that interesting?
    It is as though a person's own skin scent cancels out some notes.
    I want to hear how Dee Olive's skin vs fabric test turns out.
    I would consider purchasing Bulgare Au The Rouge for use on my clothing, alone.