Code of Conduct

Default Ode to the Final Drops

Last night I was decanting, which I love to do, and I was working with particularly warm, sultry and gorgeous scents like Patchouli, Eugenie, George Sand and my now beloved Mitsouko which is the subject of this post.

This vintage parfum bottle was my first perfume blind buy when I came back from Paris, based on the history and reviews of the frag.
    My initial response was disappointment and almost repulsion. The fragrance jumped out like an old genie and assaulted me.
    Over the year, I have approached it again and again, determined to relate, to uncover the secret that so many of you knew but I was not privy to. Over time I shared a few mls here and there, as I made a discovery I wanted others to sniff and confirm.

Now I am down to the last few mls of this mystery friend. There is a real poignancy to this.
    Last night I placed just a drop on the back of my hand and smelled the warm peachy smolder of the Mitsouko I have come to know. She is an inner fragrance for me, one that belongs to me when I want to reflect.

I dont' know whether an old frag lets off some sour notes in the beginning, or if my palate has developed, but the drops I smell today are not the same as the first crazy whiff when I removed the stopper a year ago.
    My imagination or reality, I dont quite care, but I am savoring the final drops.

Do any of you have bottles you are nursing in its final drops?
    Would you like to share about this? I would love to hear it.
    Thank you. and thanks for listening.

Renee
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ode to the Final Drops

Beautiful post Renee! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Oddly, I've had similar responses to another Guerlain - Mahora. A friend gave me a bottle a while back, knowing how dedicated I am to L'Heure Bleu. I didn't like it at all - it seemed "loud" (don't know how to put it well). But the funny thing is - bit by bit, I kept going back to it - would apply a bit, then be annoyed at myself - wondering why I didn't just stuck to my tried and true scents...and over the next few years somehow the bottle has almost emptied. And when I realized a few months ago that it had grown on me and that I do truly love it I found that it was discontinued.

The good news is that because it was less than a success for Guerlain it is still available at discount shops - and I can still get my hands on it (have to remember to do that soon). I find it interesting how my reactions have changed - this truly was a scent that had to grow on me.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Ah Renee, I just finished my old bottle of Mitsouko. It was a tiny perfume bottle I bought in the early 90s.
    I replaced it this month. Glad to say the new juice is still great.

Um, I'm nursing several vials of Mitsouko of assorted vintages and concentrations because they smell different from eachother and the current product. Plus I own two bottles, which are EDT and parfum. Isn't that obsessive?
    I always thought Mitsouki smelled strange, but I always liked it that way.
    I always envision the dark, musty interior of a Victorian mansion, with a north window open to the light of an August day, in front of a peach tree full of fruit. The breeze is carrying the aroma of the peaches inside.

Basenotes Institution

Great Mitsuoko images Renee - thanks. I can't wait to smell the parfum, I've been sufficiently blown away by the EdP I would imagine the parfum will do even more.

I savor each drop of my Neroli by L'Occitane EdP - since it is clearly discontinued, the new Neroli they just came out with is much different. I keep it at the front of my wardrobe closet and sniff the bottle stopper all the time.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I just love reading all your posts and feel so at home with those who appreciate fine things, transient things, and who find the words for odes.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm a Mitsouko lover too. Sometimes I apply it at nite and just lay there with my wrist stuck to my nose. It's really gorgeous!

The one I'm nursing? Tabac Blond extrait. I normally wear the edp when I'm craving it, but sometimes I just really want the full-blown jus! I luxuriate in this beautiful warm tabacco scent. I keep looking at the tiny bottle thinking I should reorder before it's too late, but wow, it's pricey. I do think it's worth it though! I may just have to bite the bullet and get another one!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

ah, thank you for your posts, my tender hearted friends!

funny how Mitsouko in particular is a rather haunting scent, not just for me.

spicegirl, I am nursing my original small decant of Tabac Blond extrait. Even though I subsequently obtained a larger bottle split, nothing does it like that first bottle, it is so full bodied and heady and opiate like for me.

I suppose, like mikeperez, one must be content to sniff the cap now and then, or gather clusters of vials and versions like the obsessed purplebird

dee and indiscreet seem to have found satisfaction in replacing their obsessions. I have the feeling that I may never come across another juice like this fine farty old Mitsouko hidden in the dark corner of my nightstand, away from the rays of sunlight, fragrant strands of old scent wafting over my pillow at bedtime now and then...transient , as Quarry pointed out, I think each bottle is unique, it has to be, having passed through other hands, and the elements aging over time in their own unique blend. I would even surmise that the number of times the stopper is opened and closed would have some minute effect on the perfume over time, over years.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

At the moment I am sniffing my empty decant of Creed's Angelique de Encens. I am not inclined to buy a 200ml bottle yet, but I really miss this frag!
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” Tallulah Bankhead - Actress

I'm not into final drops. I either buy plenty of it or use it up and let it go.

I know what you mean, Renee. I was worried that the new Mitsouko wouldn't smell like the old but I actually prefer it slightly - it smells more like my original bottle (which was EDP I think) - the one I fell in love with first of all. So although I was horrified at the price of replacing it, I'm happy with the results.

What terrifies me is the thought of running out of my favourite ALs and not being able to replace them. They've all been stables until Serena announced she was taking a break, and now I'm almost too frightened to wear them.

My remaining extrait of Narcisse Noir in its beautiful little bottle will last me till the new year. After that I know I can buy another one easily enough, but my first extrait was aquired in special circumstances that cannot be replicated. It means something special. I am sad at the thought of an empty bottle, but it was there to be used, and it certainly has been used and greatly loved. I don't normally associate most perfumes with memories, rather their value to me is in bringing a great sensory stimulus to the present moment, and a promise of more in the future. My appreciation of fragrance is generally in the abstract, but occasionally a fragrance slips through the net and becomes associated with a time, place, person, and all the other circumstances that create memories. Those memories are not always welcome ones, but the case of Narcisse Noir is a tender association. Its final drops will be lovingly savoured.

And besides, the next extrait will have its own special aura. What a treat I've got coming.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I'm not into final drops. I either buy plenty of it or use it up and let it go.
    shiver me timbers!
    Last edited by rtamara41; 21st November 2007 at 11:02 AM.

I simply cannot use up the last drop of Djedi.
    That little vial went 10,000 miles before it came back to me.
    What occasion would be important enough to wear it?
    My own demise?
    HA.
    I hope not.

My BF apparently agrees with Pluran. He said that he has a signature scent now, Third Man, but will wear it fully til its gone and move on to the next one that I have lined up for him.

Anyway, I love my dear little bottles of this and that. I even imagine passing some of them down to my daughter, like a fragrant time capsule.

Purple Bird, that's a lot of mileage for a scent to travel. Very special, that one.

I have about 2 sprays left in my bottle of Narciso Rodriguez. Wearing it reminds me of a very happy time in my life several years ago ( I purchased it when it was newly launched). I don't quite know what occasion will prompt me to wear it......I really should just buy another bottle but I have this little problem of always wanting what I don't have, and hey....I have two sprays left

At the moment it's hard to imagine finishing anything.(I rotate pretty heavily), but I imagine I will get pretty irrational if it's irreplaceable (like that last drop of well traveled Djedi). I was inclined to hoard the tiny bottle of Cabochard I found in extrait (easy to find when I bought it early this year, but quite difficult now), but I found a large vintage bottle and if it is in good shape (busy- and almost afraid to check), I'll relax a bit. And I'll never know when I'm down to the end or Narciso- my bottle is the black one.
    At the moment I have Mitsouko in edt,edp and parfum (thanks to Pluran on that last) and although we had a rough beginning, I would never want to let it all go. (But I can always spare a bit- Mike- next time I send you anything, remind me and I'll send a vial in parfum)
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

I'm almost hoping I don't like Ungaro II too much when I receive it this week, just so I won't have to suffer when it's truly no longer obtainable.

A hoarder here. Afraid to finish the final drops -- I'd rather send them to someone and let them do the job. Or, keep the nearly empty bottle in my sock drawer, to pull it out once in a blue moon and sniff, not dab or spray.

Speaking of Mitsuoko, I still got two unopened vintage bottles from the different eras, need an occasion to dig into them.

Dee Olive - when you replace your Mahora be careful - the EDP and EDT smell very different. I adore the EDT but find the EDP doesn't work so well for me. Ensure you get the one you love. And rumour has it there will be something new from Guerlain called Mayotte, which sounds very much like Mahora. I think Mr Guerlain will know more about this...

Hoarding? Well, I'll only wear my Iris Poudre on very special occasions, but I don't think that counts. And I too have a bottle of L'Occitaine's 'old' Neroli, which is fabulous, and I don't wear it often, so I can spread the enjoyment over as long as possible.

But since I have a terrible squirrel mentality, to keep me from hoarding excessively, I think of the worst case scenario: 'turned' favourites. I'd much rather wear and enjoy my perfumes than end up weeping with frustration.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Yes, have to admit I poured my Angel EDP down the plughole. It was so old it had turned grey, and it smelled kind of sharp. Now I have my extrait (which is gorgeous!) I have no need of a stinky old bottle of the EDP. Kept the actual bottle though.

I'm the worried type. I'm constantly ruminating about finishing my vintage bottles even though I've got for several years. But I can't stop thinking about how I will be able to get 'new' vintage bottles in the future. It's awful. Gotta try just to enjoy what I've got...

I'm nursing an old bottle of Monsoon. I managed to get another, but I think it's gone off. The original bottle, which is much older, hasn't, and I adore it. Can't get it any more, and I wear it rarely, but I still love it to bits.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

ah the sweet poignancy of it all!

One of my first scents (which was pure parfum) was a bottle of Laura Ashley no 1.I really saved the last few drops of it for years. Too bad it's discontinued because even though it's a bit too floral for my taste now it brings a lot of memories back I can even picture Christmas 1992 and small things I thought I had forgotten just thinking back of the smell of the scent.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 22nd November 2007 at 10:18 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

To paraphrase the old Sinatra and Ray Charles classic:

But now the level is low
    I'm in the autumn of their year
    And now I think of my life and the vintage frags
    from fine old kegs
    from the brim to the dregs
    And they sprayed sweet and clear
    It was a very good year
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    To paraphrase the old Sinatra and Ray Charles classic:

But now the level is low
    I'm in the autumn of their year
    And now I think of my life and the vintage frags
    from fine old kegs
    from the brim to the dregs
    And they sprayed sweet and clear
    It was a very good year
    cute um, no I mean COOL