Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Uncommon ideas for perfumista gifts

I just discovered this "how to make a vial necklace" page and think this offers a marvelous, personal, relatively inexpensive gift idea for or from a perfumista. (Caveat: I'd be a little leery of the cork disintegrating over time--just saying.)
    http://www.pilotvials.com/VialNecklace.html
    [no affiliation]

ComDiva was visiting with me about the splendor that is fans. These, too, make appropriate gifts as the owner can scent them as she pleases.

Another idea is to make a personalized calendar. There just aren't any good perfume calendars (please prove me wrong by linking to some)--I suppose it's because it would involve getting permission to show competing brands. If you can't take a great pic yourself, you might pull something from the web if you're making just one print and not profiting or in any other way conflicting with copyright.

I found one perfume umbrella (Coach brand), visible here:

Of course, there are always the Basenotes and "I [heart] perfume" products sold here.

Then there are the many books: The Emperor of Scent, Perfume: The Art and Science of Scent, The Scent Trail, Perfumes: The Guide, The Perfect Scent: A Year Inside the Perfume Industry in Paris and New York ... (not enough time to list/link them all)
    And the movie "Perfume" on DVD, too!

You folks have more ideas?
    Last edited by Quarry; 20th November 2007 at 07:07 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Uncommon ideas for perfumista gifts

A truly hardcore perfumista might appreciate a miniature apothecary chest for organizing lots of sample vials. (Something along the lines of this: http://www.artsandcraftsdesign.com/i...wold_chest.jpg ) I've got a couple of much cheaper ones (plastic, from the local dollar store) and they're wonderful for keeping track of samples.

If you really want to indulge someone, you could fill the chest with samples and add a gift certificate, so the recipient can discover a new favorite and acquire a full bottle of it.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    http://www.artsandcraftsdesign.com/images/mini_cotswold_chest.jpg[/url]
    Did you absolutely have to pick one I would fall for?
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    Did you absolutely have to pick one I would fall for?
    I know! What a divine thing to imagine--that box, a mess of samples, a gift certificate.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

A beautiful journal (attractive cover and fine paper - >Moleskines are aesthetically satisfying to use) with a gorgeous pen and a healthy gift certificate to the perfume source of recipient's choice.

Tuck it in a box with lots of nummy-smellin' samples!!!!!
    Last edited by sakecat22; 21st November 2007 at 01:45 AM.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Quarry, that reminds me of the coke vials some people used to wear around their necks. lol!
    Last edited by beachroses; 21st November 2007 at 05:16 AM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Here's another idea--And it's wildly practical!

Personalized U.S. postage stamps--just add the photo of your receiver's holy grail fragrance. There don't seem to be a lot of copyright restrictions: They use a football team's logo as an example.

http://photo.stamps.com/Store/learn-more/example/

(Now, beachroses, you AREN'T going to tell me that stamps used to be coated with LSD, are you?)

No. And yes, that is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I know! What a divine thing to imagine--that box, a mess of samples, a gift certificate.
    *drool*

Great ideas!
    I'm the biggest perfumista on my Xmas list, so I think I should receive them all.

Great idea on the cabinet. For the SERIOUS perfumista, the Quovis cabinet: http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=2983 ?

What I want to know is ...HOW in the world, Joy-ful person, working back to back ten hour days - do you have time to organize and research and present projects like this and the thread for newbies? You are my hero!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    What I want to know is ...HOW in the world, Joy-ful person, working back to back ten hour days - do you have time to organize and research and present projects like this and the thread for newbies? You are my hero!!
    Mine, too!!!

And oh, those cabinets!!!

It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    HOW in the world?
    Because this wonderful forum, my beloved playmates, and marvelous sniffies keep me thriving. You are my perks for meeting my deadlines! And DH is really a DH!