Code of Conduct

Default Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer

Anybody tried it - how do you like it and can you compare it to other scents?

Mic.

Smile Re: Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer

Smelled to me a lot like super sweet chewing gum like the kind you get in packs of baseball cards. I disliked it due to the candy sweetness.

Default Re: Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer

I don't think it has a candy sweetness. It is a synthetic, light woody scent. Along the same lines and quality, I prefered CK Man. However, I own neither and don't plan to.

Ewwwww sweet powdery notes all the way. Yuck. For a name like Explorer, it should have the freshness of Paco Rabanne XS, the outdoor / wilderness pine of Versace Green Jeans and notes such as smoky burnt wood or leather or tobacco leaves. It should have the cool minty feeling when sprayed too. Polo should rename this fragrance to something else like Chirpy or Sunshine....

I'm going very much against the grain on this one, but I think it's quite wearable and pleasant and that it continues RL's recent mild upswing. I find the recurring criticisms that it is too sweet and powdery mystefying because I am so often disappointed by fragrances that start off brisk or sharp and then turn way too powdery and sweet. In fact the only really sweet fragrances that I own and like are a few SL's like Chergui. To me, Explorer, which is not in their league, smells woody with a very slightly sweet orange or tangerine tinge. No, it's not all that natural, but I don't get the sickly sweetness at all and that is my main complaint about so many fragrances that others seem to love. One of the most fascinating things about Basenotes is how differently we all perceive exactly the same products.
    I would agree that Explorer's ad campaign is both misleading and dumb.