Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Royal Briar Cologne - Fans?

I am curious if anyone else is currently wearing Royal Briar Cologne? I inadvertently discovered this scent online last night while browsing the list of shops along Lake Ave. in Pasadena, CA. I saw "Carroll & Co." as a store and looked through their online inventory. I saw "Royal Briar Cologne" and was immediately curious.

I did an online search for this cologne and found out about its history and some amazing reviews for it. Now I was more than intrigued so I took advantage of living so CLOSE to this store (only two exist in the whole world) and went in today to check out Royal Briar.

WOW. FANTASTIC scent. I was stunned. The only way I can describe it is Safari by Ralph Lauren without the sharpness. I was a fan of Safari because it has a "classic" scent to me, but it always gave me a migraine (common problem for me) within an hour of wearing it. Royal Briar is SMOOTH and clean. I hate to use the cliche, but it really is "class in a bottle."

From what I've read (even on this website in the reviews), those that know the scent swear by it. It's changed hands (a few times?) in terms of owners, once housed by Atkinson's but was discontinued. Carroll & Co. "cloned" it and now it's the only place to get it. And apparently it was Ronald Reagan's favorite clone to boot.

The bottle costs $25 for 4 fl oz. A STEAL for this amazing scent. I'm still stunned by how much it exceeded my expectations. I'm a relative newbie to this site and not being a cologne expert, I simply don't possess the nose or vocabulary to describe the Top, Mid, and Base notes. If ANYONE on here can, I'd love to hear a description of the absolute joy I am smelling.

The only thing I am not used to about it is the lack of a spray pump. The glass bottle it comes in just has an opening like after shave. What's the best way to apply cologne that is meant to be dispensed this way? It is definitely stronger than after shave, so I don't want to apply it as I would an after shave. Tips appreciated!

At any rate, thank you to Carroll & Co. for providing this wonderful scent at such a bargain price. I wish I could say that I was a fan of the original brand and that I've been waiting for a long time to find it, but since I just discovered that it existed last night, I can't. But I CAN say they've still knocked my socks off.
    Last edited by atrac; 21st November 2007 at 03:46 AM.

Default Re: Royal Briar Cologne - Fans?

I remember it well -- a clothing store I used to frequent up in Kansas City carried this back in the Eighties. It WAS made/marketed by Atkinson's, you're right -- it was the first Atkinson's frag I'd ever smelled, and the last one I smelled until Guajaco Wood a few years back.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

It is a classic. Carroll & Co. also stocks another obscure/hard to find classic called Elsha--a Russian Leather scent that is also a steal. Glad to hear that Royal Briar is finding a new fan base!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so giddy over this cologne that I went back today and bought another bottle. I also smelled Elsha and was also impressed. That is going to be my next purchase. I just need to chill for now on spending money on cologne. I've gone overboard.

If only I had found Royal Briar first...I would have avoided buying some of the other frags that I've purchased in the last week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Atrac:

What kind of longevity are you experiencing with Royal Briar? I tried it once, admittedly a small sample, and I felt it faded very quickly. If it has some legs I am thinking of buying some on Caroll's website.

Thanks,

Joe
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 22nd November 2007 at 12:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Atrac:

What kind of longevity are you experiencing with Royal Briar? I tried it once, admittedly a small sample, and I felt it faded very quickly. If it has some legs I am thinking of buying some on Caroll's website.

Thanks,

Joe
    I'm still experimenting with doses. I am not used to using cologne without a pump dispenser, so it's hard to tell. I think I'm getting about 6 hours out of it though. Of course, I've only owned it for 24 hours so time will tell. I can say it's definitely not as long lasting as some of my other colognes, but so far I've been pleased.
    Last edited by atrac; 22nd November 2007 at 01:33 AM.

A very fancy British men's store in Vancouver used to carry this when it was made by Atkinsons. The overall fragrance structure is very similar to a whole pile of British scents from an earlier time: Creed's Vintage Tabarome or Royal Delight, Trumper's Royal Cologne, Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet. This scent is as ubiquitous to that time frame as Brut/Canoe/Jade East was to the early Sixties. The smell reminds me of libraries, leather upholstery and pipe tobacco.
    I found Royal Briar to be one of the lighest of these compositions and the best way to apply it was as if it were an aftershave: pouring some into the palms and rubbing it wherever.
    Hope you like this fragrance; you will smell very distinguished!
    Last edited by opalsdad; 19th December 2007 at 02:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this and other threads on this fragrance, I bought a bottle. Then I bought several more to give for Christmas. I am not sure about the pyramid, in some ways it is familiar and in some ways very different. If I were to say that the drydown is spicy and moderately rich and a little like pipe tobacco, I guess I would be right, but it doesn't begin to tell the story. This is stuff is amazingly cheap and terrifically good. Hope they don't stop making it again, I want to have this around for the duration.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

Can you give any comparisons to what would resemble it? I would love to get an idea.......

Thanks.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Current Rotation: Terre D'Hermes, Boucheron PH, Villoresi Uomo, Green Irish Tweed, Chanel PMC, Gucci PH, Floris Santal, Carven Homme, Dunhill '34, PI by Givenchy, Parfums de Nicolai New York

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased a bottle last week and have really enjoyed it so far.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Post Thanks / Like

I've been smelling a ton (read: A TON) of colognes since I posted about Royal Briar and I have yet to find anything that I enjoy as much.

The only cologne that somewhat reminded me of it is Tiffany for Men. I actually decided not to buy TFM because this is a much more economical choice...and it smells better.

I'm glad to see that others have jumped on the bandwagon!

Has anyone tried the "house" cologne called Carroll Cologne? It's on their website. If so can you offer any descriptions?

Thanks,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mattybumpkin View Post
    Joe,

Can you give any comparisons to what would resemble it? I would love to get an idea.......

Thanks.
    Matty,

I am going to have to give your question some thought. It is not easy to answer. At first it smells mild and familiar a little woody and spicy, as I said, not unlike a number of fragrances from earlier eras, but its genius is how it sustains itself, and develops and lingers so beautifully. What is it like? Let me think about that. Others may know better. I am looking for reinforcements....Help on this one!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishercb View Post
    Has anyone tried the "house" cologne called Carroll Cologne? It's on their website. If so can you offer any descriptions?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I smelled it when I was at their store and it was not my cup of tea. A very strong/sharp smell. My date with it didn't last long because I am prone to migraines and I could tell that one would spawn if I spent any more time with it. I then tried 1776 by Elsha when I was there (which is my number two favorite currently) and their house cologne became a quick memory.

I am still a novice basenoter so I would not even dream to try to describe the "pyramid" of it (nor have I tried to with Royal Briar...I didn't even know the dry down of it was tobacco!) I guess I'd say that their house cologne was like taking Eternity and throwing in more pine and powder? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I can say that it is the complete opposite of Royal Briar (which makes sense from a business standpoint of course).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    I smelled it when I was at their store and it was not my cup of tea. A very strong/sharp smell. My date with it didn't last long because I am prone to migraines and I could tell that one would spawn if I spent any more time with it. I then tried 1776 by Elsha when I was there (which is my number two favorite currently) and their house cologne became a quick memory.

I am still a novice basenoter so I would not even dream to try to describe the "pyramid" of it (nor have I tried to with Royal Briar...I didn't even know the dry down of it was tobacco!) I guess I'd say that their house cologne was like taking Eternity and throwing in more pine and powder? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I can say that it is the complete opposite of Royal Briar (which makes sense from a business standpoint of course).
    They don't say anything about 1776 by Elsha on the website, sounds terrific. I like hearing about things I never see in stores around NYC.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 16th December 2007 at 05:08 PM.

I ordered a bottle based on the recommendations in this thread (at $25, why not?). I'll post my reaction when it comes in.

Edit: to clarify, I ordered a bottle of Royal Briar.
    Last edited by adoblivione; 16th December 2007 at 09:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

They don't say anything about 1776 by Elsha on the website, sounds terrific. I like hearing about things I never see in stores around NYC.
    It is available at http://www.elsha.com/
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 16th December 2007 at 09:26 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    It is available at http://www.elsha.com/
    Indeed, and don't let the amateur (at best!) looking website fool you. 1776 by Elsha is awesome stuff too.

Carroll & Co. sells it in their two B&M Stores but not on their website so it looks like you'll have to go with the Yahoo template one the company offers.
    Last edited by atrac; 17th December 2007 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone dealt directly with the Elsha website, and purchased from them? Are they reputable? Also, could anyone comment on the fragrance from the standpoint of notes, structure; sillage; longevity; quality of ingredients; how it compares to other leather fragrances? I was al little turned off by the website, not for the 'amatuerism" of the way it is set up, but by how little it actually said about the fragrance, and how it spent most of its space and ink on a supposed historic background and Czarist royalty making hunting trips into the frozen barren Russian wilderness in search of some little animal I never heard of before. Not that my knowledge of little Russian animals is determinative of anything, including whether the story they tell is true, but the website does seem a bit, well lacking in significant details, while spending time on details that are strongly questionable. Additionally, the company promoting the product tells us nothing about itself, so, again, I ask, are they credible?

But back to the issue of the quality and uniqueness of "1776" ( a strange name for a Russian-inspired fragrance especially one with art work on the packaging that reminds me of an appeal for U.S. Savings Bonds): I have and like Knize Ten; is there a strong similarity with this; also, I love the leather and tobacco in Acqua di Cuba by SMN, and would like to know if this has any of those notes. Also Royal English Leather by Creed is a worthy product. I wonder where in the fragrance notes scale this Elsha 1776 fit in? Is there some complexity to the structure?

I know the price is ridiculously cheap for an 8 oz. but they have only one product and no samples, so I like to fully investigate before I buy, including whether they will actually send me the stuff if I put my money down. Once again--- eight ounces for $38! I don't get that either.

So, I am very intrigued, but would like to know more before I take the plunge, and would like some specificity.

Thanks,

Joe
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 17th December 2007 at 03:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

....So, I am very intrigued, but would like to know more before I take the plunge, and would like some specificity.

Thanks,

Joe
    I just ordered Elsha from the website and will post my experience one way or the other!

(Also ordered Royal Briar - good thread atrac!)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Gents,

I'm curious to hear what you find out about Elsha, but might you consider starting another thread when you do so people will know it's about that fragrance and not Royal Briar? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I just ordered Elsha from the website and will post my experience one way or the other!

(Also ordered Royal Briar - good thread atrac!)
    Thanks Two Roads, as suggested you might want to start a new Community thread on "1776" when you have a sense of it. I bought Royal Briar too and really, really like it a lot! I am going to wear it on and off through Christmas, and then do a review. I am pretty sure it's going to be thumbs up. Plus the wife loves it as much as she does her favorite mens' frag Knize Ten.

Post Thanks / Like

I already have a 1776 thread here if you'd like to use it: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=202234 .
    Last edited by atrac; 20th December 2007 at 04:20 AM.

Wow, I got my Royal Briar in the mail today, and all I can say is it's a very interesting frag. Very nice, but I can't put my finger on anything, really.

If I had to sum it up, I'd say it's almost like Old Spice decided it wanted to be taken seriously, and reformulated itself accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with a lot of what you say adoblivione, I can't really put my finger on anything either, but instead of Old Spice I would say it's Pinaud's Clubman with some warm wood not unlike L'homme Sage that wants to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 23rd December 2007 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a bottle from Carroll as a blind buy. Already know I won't wear it much. On me I get Baby Powder top and middle and I-don't-know-what on the base. I can't think of any other association - an okay scent, just not for me. If anyone wants my new bottle I'll sell it cheap. PM me if interested.

Cheers...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    Picked up a bottle from Carroll as a blind buy. Already know I won't wear it much. On me I get Baby Powder top and middle and I-don't-know-what on the base. I can't think of any other association - an okay scent, just not for me. If anyone wants my new bottle I'll sell it cheap. PM me if interested.

Cheers...
    PM Sent!

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

Thanks.
    OK, Matty, sorry I have been so long in getting back to you, Christmas and all, and to add to that I have been a bit under the weather, but I have been thinking about your question. In a way, I may have answered it in other posts in this thread. Regardless, let me attempt to come to the heart of the question: comparisons? What does it resemble? First of all it's a clean American barbershop smell; hair tonic, shaving cream and talc. Not glamourous, but very elegant and masculine. The word handsome comes to mind. No big help I guess, but that's what I think of, going out for a date and feeling handsome wearing this. Out of the bottle I get a light fragrance that's woody and warm with a touch of cough medicine (the tonic thing) thrown in so it won't get boring. It's not really sharp, just a little bit; and there's no citrus that I can discern. It is nowhere nearly as cloying as Clubman, which is down right oily. The light opening is a teaser, because this stuff doesn't fade immediately on touching the skin as a sniff from the bottle might suggest. It's got some sillage, and it lasted a good 5 hours or so on me. It gets a bit warmer and spicier through the day, and there is some pleasant sweetness that gives me, at least, the pipe tobacco aura that I love, as a former briar brother. In a way, it reminds me of L'homme Sage mixed with Antico Caruso on the dry down, but not as almondy. For the price it's really worth it.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 28th December 2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Elaboration and improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

Thank you for the follow up, it is greatly appreciated. I think I may have to give it a try. Definitey like L'Homme Sage and if it's somehwat in that arena, It may be up my alley. Thanks.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Current Rotation: Terre D'Hermes, Boucheron PH, Villoresi Uomo, Green Irish Tweed, Chanel PMC, Gucci PH, Floris Santal, Carven Homme, Dunhill '34, PI by Givenchy, Parfums de Nicolai New York

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

Thank you for the follow up, it is greatly appreciated. I think I may have to give it a try. Definitey like L'Homme Sage and if it's somehwat in that arena, It may be up my alley. Thanks.
    Let us know what you think. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 29th December 2007 at 08:54 PM.

I just received a bottle of this as a gift - and it reminds me somewhat of Trumper's Ajaccio Violets Cologne (although Briar is much cheaper!). Briar might be just a little more powdery though. This is very refreshing and reminds me so much of going to the barber!

(By the way, I put some into a sprayer, I liked it better that way!)
    Last edited by Schachman; 5th January 2008 at 07:45 PM.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

i ordered it and immediately gave it to my father.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

i bought an old vintage bottle on ebay, the atkinson version. when the package showed up today i could smell it. "oh no!" as i opened the box the smell became stronger. when i saw the juice rolling around freely in the plastic wrap the bottle was wrapped in i knew- it had leaked out during shipping. i was able to rub the plastic on my skin. smelled great. nice bottle...too bad it was empty.

Post Thanks / Like

Ronald Reagan's signature scent, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Ronald Reagan's signature scent, by the way
    Interesting, I was not aware of that.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep meaning to try this and something always gets my attention and I forget about it. Have to give it a shot.