Code of Conduct

Default Yardley's English Lavender.

Well, this is my latest cheap blind purchase - a 30ml bottle of English Lavender for A$2.

I sprayed it on my hand and it reminded me strongly of Acqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica. So I sprayed some Lavanda Tonica on my wrist.

The Acqua di Parma one is a little livelier and sharper, its non lavender notes last longer, and it lasts longer as a whole. The Yardley one settles down to something slightly softer. Given the price difference, the Yardley seems pretty good value.

The Directory lists both these scents as unisex. But several women I know who have smelled the Acqua di Parma one seem to think it's masculine, and stated that they wouldn't wear it.

Any thoughts on English Lavender? Are such scents truly accepted as unisex?
    Renato

Default Re: Yardley's English Lavender.

Definitively unisex, yes. I think this one comes from an era when "men's" and "women's" fragrances were all but completely one and the same.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Definitively unisex, yes. I think this one comes from an era when "men's" and "women's" fragrances were all but completely one and the same.
    Yes, it sure is an oldy from way back 1873.
    Does that mean that some women's perceptions have changed over the decades?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    May I ask you when that area has been? I have by now scanned more than thirty books (French, German, English) looking for an answer. I have also asked Basenoters here, and even irritated some . A quick look at the directory indicates that it cannot have been all that clear cut, because there is masculine classifications since the 19th century. I don't want to say that the shared fragrance theory would be all wrong, but I would like to get to the bottom of it - basically a rumor containing some truth, or more?

I know of blended lavender cologne used by men in Germany during the first half of the nineteenth. I doubt that many regular men would reach for Yardleys lavender here, and the packaging wouldn't encourage them either.
    Last edited by narcus; 21st November 2007 at 04:16 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I was in an itallian resturant once. They had this handsoap in the bathroom. It smelled quite nice. I have consider wearing this as a fragrance in the past but that was before I discovered Encens et Lavende.