Code of Conduct

Default Spanish Leathers Compare: Trumpers; Truefitt & Hill or Santa Maria Novella

Next week I begin a "smell tests" of the three fragrances with the same name- - Spanish Leather. Reviews of the two English fragrances help some, but would like more close comparisons and thoughts. Further, there's nothing on the boards on the SMN version. What, no one's tried it?! Hmmm.

Thanks for your input,

Joe

Default Re: Spanish Leathers Compare: Trumpers; Truefitt & Hill or Santa Maria Novella

I found that the Trumper has more of a soapy quality, like saddle soap; it reminds me of suede, rather than a dirty leather; and it's on the smooth side. Good stuff if it's your style.

IMO, the Truefitt & Hill has less of an outright leathery quality, but its woody notes and other base notes create the suggestion of slight leather...more of a woody leather, if that makes sense. The T&H is darker and deeper than the Trumper, has more dimension. T&H also is spicier, with probably pepper (black?) being the most noticeable spice, but it's only part of the mix, it isn't too loud. Very slight floral note in T&H, very slight, maybe also a very slight moss note. I gave away my Trumper and kept the T&H. Neither progress much, but I'd say the T&H progresses more. Wearing T&H always reminds me of guys in England wearing tweed jackets, hunting, or lounging in the club by the fire, and it has a classic quality, almost of the 1940s. Nice and masculine. You know, I'd forgotten this is a cologne, not an EDT! Great volume for a cologne...I'll have to wear it tomorrow.

Sorry, I haven't tried the SMN, but a few guys here have raved about it.

Default Re: Spanish Leathers Compare: Trumpers; Truefitt & Hill or Santa Maria Novella

I received samples of both the GFT & T&H; they are both very nice to me, I went with the GFT if only because I wanted to give the T&H Grafton a shot, and figured I would give the GFT equal billing. Just received them today..MMMM Tasty.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
    I received samples of both the GFT & T&H; they are both very nice to me, I went with the GFT if only because I wanted to give the T&H Grafton a shot, and figured I would give the GFT equal billing. Just received them today..MMMM Tasty.

Steve
    Great pic and good purchases IMO. Grafton is sublime and is the only Truefitt which I really like. I think the Truefitt leather is rougher and full of that generic "spice" note which annoys me. The trumper is a fine creation, smoother and more refined which reminds me certain points in the development of Guerlain Derby. it has good presence without overwhelming and good longevity.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 23rd November 2007 at 07:14 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Hello Hirch, I have to be honest, to my untrained nose, I liked all the samples that T&H and GFT sent me. Most of the people that responded to my posts raved about the Grafton, my nose agreed..They are both very nice fragrances.

Steve

I really like the Trumper's Spanish Leather. The T&H was not as apealing.

Anyone who can give a reasoned opinion on the Santa Maria Novella Spanish Leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Anyone who can give a reasoned opinion on the Santa Maria Novella Spanish Leather?
    There are two SMN leather fragrances: Spanish Leather and Peau d'Espagne. They are both extremely potent leather scents. In fact, Peau is the strongest scent I have ever smelled in my life. It is definitely not for the weak of heart. Spanish Leather is a bit tamer than the Peau but suffice to say, they are both bold leathery/tobacco statements and to be honest, I don't use either anymore, at least not in public (just way to potent). When they joke about Sex Panther in Anchorman, Peau d'Espangne is what I imagine they are smelling.

The Geo F Trumper Spanish Leather is extraordinary. A smooth, clean leather accord with just a hint of spice. However, my favorite of the tree is Truefitt & Hill's and, based on the remarks, it is also the most popular with those who wander into its sillage. T&H's version has a sweet, powdery undercurrent that makes it the least "leathery" of all the leather scents (this includes Creed's and Curion btw which are definitely worth a try for anyone interested in leather scents.)

SMNPeau D'Espagne: a lot of smell for a lot of money, but worth every Euro that will buy it for me! All perfumes with Spanish Leather in their name intend to give you the mix of scent impressions from such leathers, which themselves were spiced and perfumed before they were brought to the markets. Arabs had developed the art of natural leather tanning, softening, and perfuming on their Spanish territory to a level far beyond processes known in Europe until the late Middle Ages. For centuries, top of the arts leather products originated from the area around the famous Moorish town of Cordova. Spanish leather, and Cordovan leather actually mean the same - quality leathers of extreme density, softness, and flexibility with a fine(r) smell of spices and herbs. The best parts of mainly sheep-, goat-, and horse-skin were processed that way, and luxury products were made of that.

I came across Peau D'Espagne in Italy last year, but I do not remember SMN Spanish Leather. Maybe their boutique didn't have it then, but actually I remember not much else I tried in that place. I was simply spelled by Pd'E ! It's just as rich as Tabac Blond and Knize Ten but replaces their floral exuberance with dark, almost medicinal spicyness.
    I also like Aigner leathers, Lutens Daim Blond, and Cuiron (!). These things are fine in the glove box of my automobile, but not sufficient for outdoor wear and activities. But don't listen to me who likes to sniff at a bottle of pure birch tar or turpentine, and believes that the English liquid disinfectant 'TCP' has perfume quality. (must be banned in America, I am sure !)

I cannot comment on English leathers.To this day, British perfumery isn't well represented on 'the continent'. Anything beyond Yardley and Burberry isn't easily available here. Thank you for the picture, desmoface - delicious bottles!
    Last edited by narcus; 24th November 2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I am 99.9% positive that Peau d'Espagne is the only "spanish leather" in the SMN line. I have never seen or heard of a separate fragrance called Spanish Leather.

PeE is one of my favorite leathers. It does start out on the loud side but after an hour or two it settles way down. I've never smelled any leather scent quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I am 99.9% positive that Peau d'Espagne is the only "spanish leather" in the SMN line. I have never seen or heard of a separate fragrance called Spanish Leather.

PeE is one of my favorite leathers. It does start out on the loud side but after an hour or two it settles way down. I've never smelled any leather scent quite like it.
    You may be right about this. I did own a bottle of SMN that said "Spanish Leather" and it might have been PdE translated for the English-speaking market. The juice was lighter in color than my bottle of PdE and it was not as potent. I cannot find it right now (not surprising... I cannot seem to find my rare bottle of Guerlain "Ambre" as well...)

G