Code of Conduct

Default Un Bois de Vanille, a review:

Blechk - this sucks, Beavis.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 24th November 2007 at 02:31 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Default Re: Un Bois de Vanille, a review:

haha.

why does it suck? too sweet?

I don't understand how this is even Serge Lutens...it starts off sort of interesting, and then dries down to vanilla-scented bounce sheet. Nasty.
    Last edited by Dane; 23rd November 2007 at 01:14 PM.

It's called Bois de Vanille, so...

Vanille, liquorice, sandalwood... creamy, milky, sweet. Slightly synthetic-sour at first, very gourmandy.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Blechk - this sucks Beavis.
    Heh heh, this dude RULES! Heh Heh heh heh

I AM CORNHOLIO! (I need TP for my BUNGHOLE!)
    Last edited by Scentronic; 23rd November 2007 at 03:15 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

One of the worst Lutens I've tried. The burnt sugar note ruins it for me big time. Yuk!

I like Une Bois de Vanille
    it's not an everyday scent, but sometimes you want something very gourmand, very Une Bois de Vanille

It should be great to spray f.e. Une bois de vanille one hand and Fumerie Turque - on the other
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Dreamer - what does "f.e." mean?

I'm usually a big fan of sweets, and gourmands, and woods, and lutens, but the main note in this is melted and burnt sugar. It's so sharp and aggressive. It's just painfull. It seems so crude. It's not something that I might find interesting but that has some offputting aspects - there's just no aspect that I like of it at all! I love Fumerie Turque - so rich, so many aspects too it. But this is just smokey burnt caramel sugar - loud aggressive and no devellopment, or anything!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 24th November 2007 at 04:36 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Dreamer - what does "f.e." mean?

I'm usually a big fan of sweets, and gourmands, and woods, and lutens, but the main note in this is melted and burnt sugar. It's so sharp and aggressive. It's just painfull. It seems so crude. It's not something that I might find interesting but that has some offputting aspects - there's just no aspect that I like of it at all! I love Fumerie Turque - so rich, so many aspects too it. But this is just smokey burnt caramel sugar - loud aggressive and no devellopment, or anything!
    f.e = for example, I think.

Yes, it's definitely burnt (rather than melted) sugar that makes this one utterly gross.

Is this part of the Lutens "Bois" series ? If so, these are comparatively simple fragrances with minute variations in notes and built around cedar. I haven't found many from this series that I like but they are ok.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    f.e = for example, I think.
    You are right Trebor
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Blechk - this sucks Beavis.
    Hahaha! Before I clicked on the link I thought, "yet ANOTHER person who posts their reviews here as well as in the review section" and then I read "the review"... that was great!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Is this part of the Lutens "Bois" series ? If so, these are comparatively simple fragrances with minute variations in notes and built around cedar. I haven't found many from this series that I like but they are ok.

This is in the export line, so it's not really part of any series. But no, it's not at all one of those four Bois Bois Oriental, Bois et Fruits, Bois de Violette, Bois et Musc) which are all variations of "Femininite du Bois" those are actually my all time favorite Lutens.

I don't think there's any cedar in this at all - like Manolete says there's sandalwood. It's kind of like a "burnt sugar attar"
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 24th November 2007 at 04:27 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I like it
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

I've never smelled BdV, but the 'burnt sugar note' everyone's talking about can be quite pleasing in certain fragrances. I'm specifically talking about Vetiver Tonka by Hermes, where it's appearance in the top and middle notes is quite sublime.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I've never smelled BdV, but the 'burnt sugar note' everyone's talking about can be quite pleasing in certain fragran ces. I'm specifically talking about Vetiver Tonka by Hermes, where it's appearance in the top and middle notes is quite sublime.
    I like Vetiver Tonka. I can feel this "burnt sugar" note. I think it's tonka bean smell