Code of Conduct

Default Can we discuss the Cacherels?

I have a friend (female) who wears Loulou and smells great.
    I only notice it when greeting her, however, so it wears close to
    her skin. I like Eden very much and used to wear Anais Anais years ago.
    They all seem very good for the price and get compliments
    What are your favourites from this line and what are your thoughts
    generally?

Default Re: Can we discuss the Cacherels?

I got minis of LouLou and Eden in an Ebay lot once, they were kind of old, but still smelled really good. I had never heard of them before and was very impressed. I don't keep old perfume around, so donated them to a good cause, thinking I might pick up a fresh bottle of Eden at some point.

My favourites are probably Promesse, Amor Amor and Liberte. I really cannot stand Anais Anais. Haven't smelled LouLou yet.

Basenotes Institution

LouLou is amazing, although it is strong stuff on me and has the most subversive drydown (to me it smells like dust).

Anais Anais I admire, but it's powdery 'edge' makes it unwearable for me.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Hmmm...I used to love Anaïs Anaïs, but that was quite a few years ago, and I've forgotten why it has faded out of my wardrobe. I will have to sniff it again to refresh my memory.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Cacherels, especially the old ones
    are all very good. I love Gloria!
    It's one of my favorites in fact, and not
    just from the Cacherel family.

Eden is also quite nice, and I've received
    some unbelievable compliments on it, but I just
    don't wear it much lately.

I like Anais Anais on others, but I've never
    been able to make her my scent.

Amor Amor is another fabulous fragrance,
    although not as good as Gloria. I enjoy
    wearing it, but often neglect it for months.

Liberte did nothing for me, as nor did Promesse,
    but I know women who adore and wear both.
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; 24th November 2007 at 03:46 AM.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I have recently rediscovered Anais; had a bottle I neglected for a long time, but this past week have worn it more than once. Still a favorite, and still don' get an innocent or young vibe - just rosebuds and leather on my skin.
    I also have and enjoy Promesse. I call it my "berry scented aftershave", because I get blackberry and a load of cedar. Love it.
    Recently tried Amor; only on a strip, and found it pleasant enough.
    Last edited by leffleur; 24th November 2007 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I have a friend (female) who wears Loulou and smells great.
    I only notice it when greeting her, however, so it wears close to
    her skin. I like Eden very much and used to wear Anais Anais years ago.
    They all seem very good for the price and get compliments
    What are your favourites from this line and what are your thoughts
    generally?
    I wore Anais Anais almost exclusively for years. I also remember liking Loulou, but I didn't wear that one often. I don't think I ever bought it, I only sampled it and thought it was a pretty fragrance. I don't know any of the other Cacherels. After a while, I lost interest in Anais Anais...and after a while, I just stopped buying it.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I almost completely forgot
    about LouLou, but this
    thread prompted me to wear it
    this morning. I still really enjoy it,
    but I'm afraid that
    the sillage is too much
    for those around me.
    I'll wear it from time to time
    but only lightly.
    What a unique scent though!
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I had some LouLou and loved it, and then when I pulled it out the next winter it was a total bomb on me! I gave it to a coworker and it was fine on her. BooHoo. I should probably try it again, maybe we'll get along again.

I love Noa. Such a nice, close musk. Trouble with me is I like POW fragrances and Noa is so subtle.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

I love Noa Perle. It had the almond smell that I like without overpowering. But unfortunately, it's hard to find it here in Indonesia.

I bought a 1.0 oz of Amor Amor for cheap and I've been abusing it . It's lasted surprisingly long for as rude as I am with it. I'm afraid it's too childish to wear out and about, but I still have fun with it.

I used to have Anais Anais (my first perfume!), Lou Lou Blue (discontinued ages ago - such a shame), Eden, Noa, Amor Amor and Gloria. Gloria was by far my favourite of all. It had an amaretto note and was sweet without being little girly. I wish I could find Gloria online, have not seen in in shops for ages. Too bad that the ones I love are discontinued.

LouLou is superb, and Anaïs Anaïs is just downright classic -- easily my favorite carnation frag of all time.

I've yet to try Eden, Noa, Promesse and Liberté.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th December 2007 at 03:42 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can we discuss the Cacharels?

I need some enabling to buy LouLou I think...I am wondering if I can pull her off > > > Anyone wearing LouLou these days?

Thanks in advance.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    I need some enabling to buy LouLou I think...I am wondering if I can pull her off > > > Anyone wearing LouLou these days?

Thanks in advance.
    Not me, but I keep wondering about it whenever I read of someone wearing it. I didn't like it when it first came out because it was so strong, but I would probably love it now, as my tastes have changed over the years. Anais Anais, which I wore as a young woman, just doesn't cut it for me anymore. It's pretty, but a bit boring for me now. If you do decide to go for LouLou, will you post your impressions? Someone here some years back put LouLou, JPG Classique, Armani Code, and I think Alien all in the same family. If that's any help. I've been interested in smelling Loulou again ever since.

I have Cacharel Liberté and I enjoy that one. I like Amour Amour, too, though I don't own it nor do I need another fruity sweet scent. I have a weakness for those and have enough of them.

My favourites are two discontinued cacherels - Gloria & LouLou Blue.

Gloria has a boozy amaretto & rose vibe - kinda like the boozy opening of Guerlain Spiritueuze Double Vanille without the disappointing drydown!

Would love to hear if there are any fans of LouLou blue out there? It was the loulou flanker -in a clear blue glass bottle - a lighter fresher version of loulou with key notes of bergamot, anise & vanilla. I think it came out about 1995 / 1996 and was discontinued only a few years later.

I have 3 backup bottles of both gloria & loulou blue. I can't say I like any of the current cacherels - I tried to get into original loulou, must try again as it is a modern classic. It seems to be on sale everywhere at the moment, as is anais anais & eden - are they bringing out new packaging or (gasp!) reformulating or discontinuing?!!!

I used to love Anais Anais, it was my 1st "grown up" fragrance that I was given as a gift from my French exchange student. It was one of the best gifts I ever received.

A few years later I fell hard for LouLou. I loved the advertising campaign before I had even smelled the scent & when I finally did, I first didn't like it. But it has the most beautiful development & I wore it exclusively for a few years. I've to admit I never thought of it as a strong fragrance - back then I didn't know too much about perfume - but looking I realize I solely wore scents with a lot of sillage: LouLou, Chloé (original), Trésor. (But I always applied sparingly, I've to add :-))

I haven't smelled both in years, mainly out of fear I'll be disappointed because they don't smell as lovely as they used to/as I remember them.

The last scent from Cacharel that I really loved was Gloria. It's a shame they discontinued it! I always got compliments when I wore it.

But the newer Cacharel scents are somewhat nondescriptive, they do nothing for me. I wish Cacharel would find back to their former glory & will bring out something really exciting.

Blog Entries

l was given a bottle of LouLou by a boyfriend back in the late '80's, & although l wore it, l wasn't that keen. lt was very strong, & l always felt like it was wearing me. Recently l was in a bar & someone in there was wearing it; it was instantly recognisable & brought the memories flooding back, but l still wouldn't wear it again myself.

l went through several bottles of Anais Anais in the '90's, & even wore it on my wedding day, but l'm now divorced, therefore for me this fragrance was very much of it's time. l received a mini in a set for Christmas a couple of years ago, & l did enjoy those lovely peppery lilies, but l don't plan on buying it again. l would however recommend it to anyone looking for a timeless & classic floral with a bit of depth.

l remember sniffing Amor Amor quite a while ago, but found it too fruity for my taste.

l haven't tried any others, but l am curious about Eden...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Malena View Post
    The last scent from Cacharel that I really loved was Gloria. It's a shame they discontinued it! I always got compliments when I wore it. But the newer Cacharel scents are somewhat nondescriptive, they do nothing for me. I wish Cacharel would find back to their former glory & will bring out something really exciting.
    exactly!

Great thread! The Cacharels don't get brought up often on here.

I bought my first ever bottle of LouLou today! I sniffed it for the first time a couple of months ago and thought I hated it for being too sweet, too overpowering, too much. But then I couldn't stop thinking about it. And then I sampled it on skin the other week and, lo! it just smelled carefree and summery and proud and I couldn't resist... I may report back in a couple of days when I've had the chance to spend some time with it. But I think we're going to be friends.

I adore Anais Anais, though I rarely wear it out. I find the minty notes really strange and wonderful and the powder extremely comforting. Such a distinctive smell deserves to be sampled by all, though it's a difficult one to pull off... that said, a dark-haired, soft-skinned friend of mine wore it beautifully for years. Its almost dowdy structure works best on youth, I'd say. I still own it and always replenish if I run out.

Amor Amor was my "European holiday" scent for a few years - my best friend who I always travelled with wore the male version and we thought it suited us terrifically. Again, it's a bright, carefree scent for fun times. It's by far the fruitiest fragrance I've ever owned and I'm not sure I'd purchase it again, but that is mainly because I wouldn't feel justified in doing so unless I was jetting off to Italy the next day wearing a Topshop blazer and footless tights. Sigh.

I sampled Scarlet today... oooh, this is radiant! It smells just like something of its fluorescent pink colour should. Lots of notes listed that have little to do with it, but my overall impression is of a soft, luminescent rose. I never, EVER go near fragrances like this, but after a brush with a woman wearing Tresor this evening, I feel myself drawn into the ultra-girlish, ultra-radiant pull of pretty scents...

I hated Noa when I first tried it 5 years ago (it just turned disgusting on my skin), but have recently fallen for its quiet soapy musk... Another one I'd love to spend some quality time getting to know. It may still turn sour on my skin, but I'll give it a go.

Never smelled Eden! Or Gloria, which reading all the above comments I'm lamenting.

Thanks kewart for bringing up this wonderful house which has produced some pretty remarkable scents... and yes, wouldn't it be exciting if they delivered something new and wonderful now?
    Last edited by anotherlemontree; 8th June 2011 at 11:12 PM.
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fête, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

"Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."

Blog Entries

OMG, I just bought my first bottle of Lou Lou today as well, ^^^^ and wore 2 sprays to dance class. We are scent twins! I'll post more later but long-story-short, after almost 20 years of Angel and Me-too copies..Loulou struck me as almost a mild fragrance! I noticed a clear hay note top note, as well as an iris heart note. Anyway, let me know how she works for you!

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Wow! this thread is a blast from the past. I remember reading this when I first joined BN.

I love all of the older Cacharel scents Anaïs Anaïs (older EdP version), Eden, LouLou, Gloria and Noa.

Gloria is a great scent and sadly missed. Eden has an almost cold metallic quality to it. LouLou is warm sensual and intoxicating. Noa is soothing and breezy, in its own way. And of course the original, Anaïs Anaïs is just wonderful in that floral bright feel-good way.

The newer scents, Amor Amor, Promesse and the flankers did not move me much, but I also associate them with Sephora ( I worked at Sephora from 2002-07) and they would just smell like everything else after a while. The Sephora kiss of death I guess.

Thanks for reviving this thread, it was nice to see some names of members I had not thought of in a long time.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Hillaire

I am utterly devoted to vintage Anais Anais.

I also enjoy GLoria, but find it too similar to Bvlgari Black, while not quite as nice.

Noa is another favorite.

But the best of the house is Nemo. It's absolutely AMAZING.

Thanks Hillaire for mentioning Nemo. I was going to chime in to remind everyone not to forget their men's line.

That's another discontinued item now! It opnes with a fruity yuzu note and has incense, nutmeg and a woody/cedar finish. It's a bit understated and dry. For comparison you can think of Azzaro Visit for men except AV is much louder and sweeter with what many claim to be more synthetic edges. I love both but always veer toward the sweeter scents.

When I read reviews of the Cacharel scents on well-respected blogs, it always strikes me how their older scents were considered ground breaking in one area or other. It's a very romantic house and I wish they would continue to put out more of the quality and innovative scents instead of the flankers to Amor Amor, etc. Their recent offerings remind me of used-to-be-greats such as Nina Ricci.

Blog Entries

My ex-husband wore Cacharel pour Homme; an underrated classic IMO, but unfortunately it has bad associations for me!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I just bought a bottle of Eden, it smells real nice but at times I get a cooked celery type of note. I actually will most likely re home it, as I'm more into spicey perfumes