Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old Lady?

Default Re: Old Lady?

Hi DeeOlive!

Ably posited.

Ably defended.

All threads reach closure but I'd like to see this one stick around for awhile longer!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Wow, Dee...
    I would love to pick your brain- seriously.
    In my 53 1/2 years I've done a lot- nursing in neuroscience, oncology, teaching, vocal pedagogy, opera, catering, raising two sons...etc.

Linguistic anthropology is on my list of loves.
    [And , probably like yourself- I've worked w/ the AIDS/HIV population since before there was a name for it- another love of mine]

We should talk.
    In addition to perfume adventures and hopefully mentoring- [ and the goal of creating a CD compilation of vocal repertoire for my sons as a legacy]-
    I'm exploring the hope of delivering Palliative Care in my neighborhood, along w/ Senior Health.

You children are so cute.

In a cloud of today's SOTD Popy Moreni - and six months past my 78th birthday - I can't imagine what all the fuss is about.

Lighten up!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'll let Whitney Houston and Chaka Khan say it for me... I'm Every Woman! Let's dance!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJ7JCVq7Cw
    Last edited by beachroses; 25th November 2007 at 03:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    You children are so cute.

In a cloud of today's SOTD Popy Moreni - and six months past my 78th birthday - I can't imagine what all the fuss is about.

Lighten up!
    Touché TaoLady

I hope I smell half as wonderful as you always do when I'm 78!
    --------------------------------------
    And dancin' round the room to awesome Chaka Khan and Whitney - thanks for the link Beachroses
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 25th November 2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

When people say old lady I imagine some poor neglected old dear in a nursing home - a bit musty and incontinent.
    If all folks mean is something smells old fashioned, then that's what they should say (though perhaps classic is a better description!)

Silence = Death
    Indeed.
    Well spoken.

And sometimes silence is golden.

I too have noticed similar sorts of "old man" comments in threads from time to time. While I'm 52, I don't consider myself all that old, but I do like and wear many classic scents that others may find smell like "old man." But I was wearing things like Knize 10, Antaeus, the Halstons, and many older Casswell-Massey blends when I was in my twenties. And now I sometimes wear a number of currently trendy fragrances. Fragrances have been and still are for me simply fragrances. It has never occured to me until I began participating in this forum that fragrances have anything to do with age.

What bothers me most about this attitude is the narrow mindedness of it. I could care less if someone thinks that I'm old or smell old. I'm far too independent, successful and comfortable with myself to worry about what other people think. I dress neatly, have good hygiene, groom myself, wear quality fragrances, and behave in a socially acceptable manner. If that's not good enough for someone, then that's just tough.

I actually feel sorry for those people who make these "old man" or "old woman" comments. Here we are in a forum for serious fragrance lovers, and some people are dismissing out of hand many wonderful fragrances which have withstood the test of time to become classics solely because they remind them of older people. As a fragrance lover I just don't understand this attitude at all. The fragrances deserve more respect than that!

It's akin to dismissing Rennaissance art or Classical music simply because they're old. Never mind the skill involved in their creation, their great beauty, their impeccable balance, their awesome complexity, their universality, their emotional appeal, the stimulation and spiritual uplift they can provide! Along this same line of reasoning, Citizen Kane and The Seventh Seal would be considered awful films because they are in black and white and are old.

I feel sad because these so-called fragrance lovers are willingly depriving themselves of so much pleasure. The "ageism" issue that some people seem to take offense to doesn't bother me at all. But it does bother me that these people take such cavalier and dismissive attitudes towards great fragrances without taking the time to understand them. They aren't offending me by their "old man" comments, but they are shortchanging themselves and willfully hindering their development in understanding and appreciating great fragrances.

I can only shake my grey, "old man's" head and feel sorry for these poor unenlightened souls who turn their backs on the light.

noggs