Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Devin a stand-in for Derby? (Side-by-Side Comparison - Response #9)

I can't believe that I am asking this, but I am serious (well, only as serious as I get anyway).

Does anyone else feel there is a similarity between Aramis' Devin and Guerlain's Derby (recently discontinued again) ?

I sampled Devin for the first time yesterday and all I could think of was Derby.

I know that Devin is classified as a green scent rather than a leather chypre scent like Derby, but on me I get pronounced leather from the start all the way through the drydown.

With the bergamot and moss, am I wrong in thinking that Devin could just as easily be classified as a leather chypre?
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th November 2007 at 12:36 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: Is Devin a stand-in for Derby?

I don't know about similarities to Derby but yes, the leather is definitely there and it is strong. A great fragrance. On me, the cinnamon, the pine, resins and the musk also come out. The soft dry down is wonderful.
    RM

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting...

I wore Devin a helluva lot as a teenager. I just sampled Derby last week for the first time and loved it. Since I can't do a side-by-side comparison I think here's the differences:

Derby has mint that Devin doesn't. Derby's drydown is slightly more complex and sweeter than Devin's mossy green drydown. Devin's top notes are sharper (galbanum?) than Derby's. Besides these - yes, I think they share some similarities.

However I do not think you can classify Devin as a leather chypre IMO. I'd love to hear from others who've smelled both.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Devin was 1978, according to the directory. Derby came much later...1985. Stand-in?

Derby has very recently been discontinued for the second time. I think that's the reason for this question.

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    Devin was 1978, according to the directory. Derby came much later...1985. Stand-in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    Sorry jellybean1973, my question was awkwardly stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Derby has very recently been discontinued for the second time. I think that's the reason for this question.
    Thank you, Mr. Guerlain, that is exactly what I was trying to say - basically, that Devin is still in production and is it similar enough to be considered a replacement or 'stand-in' for the discontinued Derby?

English is tough enough as it is without me hacking at it with a machete.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 25th November 2007 at 02:28 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Except for an all too obvious similarity in names, both are very fine leathery chypres ( or green chypres, depending what you smell predominatly). Derby is my favorite masculine Guerlain, and absolutely special to me. Should I ever run out of it, I'll just stay a Guerlain widower for life !
    But I woul say that somebody else could in fact be quite happy, replacing one for the other:

Derby:
    T: fresh - herbal
    M: spicy - floral
    B: leathery - mossy - woody

Devin:
    T: green
    M: spicy - piny
    B: leathery - mossy - woody & amber
    Last edited by narcus; 25th November 2007 at 05:16 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Except for an all too obvious similarity in names, both are very fine leathery chypres ( or green chypres, depending what you smell predominatly). Derby is my favorite masculine Guerlain, and absolutely special to me. Should I ever run out of it, I'll just stay a Guerlain widower for life !
    But I woul say that somebody else could in fact be quite happy, replacing one for the other:

Derby:
    T: fresh - herbal
    M: spicy - floral
    B: leathery - mossy - woody

Devin:
    T: green
    M: spicy - piny
    B: leathery - mossy - woody & amber
    OK narcus, confession time — how much Derby have you stockpiled against the nuclear winter that is discontinuation?
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Post Thanks / Like

Like narcus and a number of other Basenoters, Derby is one of my all-time favorite scents (Heritage, though, is my favorite favorite Guerlain).

My goal is to reserve my Derby for special occasions only. That way, I should be able to stretch my bottle for many years or at least until it is back in production (hopefully, like Disney movies, once every six or seven years!)

I have dedicated today for a side-by-side comparison of Derby and Devin.

To help me, I have enlisted the aid of a nose more sophisticated than mine (aka, my wife )

These represent only our opinions - we could be wrong! These are our thoughts so far:

Started at 10:30 a.m.

After 15 minutes - after the initial burst of top notes, we both feel that there is no significant difference between them.

After 30 minutes - I think that Devin is less 'bright' while Lynn said that Devin is not as strong but otherwise very similar.

After 1 hour - A lot further into the drydown, the cologne strength of Devin is very evident in comparison to the EdT strength of Derby - otherwise not much has changed.

After 2 hours - While both are still predominately leather and still have a similar feel, I am picking up a slight pine note from Devin while detecting a little of the vetiver and sandalwood in Derby. I am on my own, as Lynn has headed towards the mall.

After 3 hours - Devin still very detectable, amber is making its presence known, an excellent piney/leather/ambery drydown . Derby is just starting to fade a bit - still very much a vetiver/sandalwood/leather drydown - absolutely captivating!

After 4 hours - Devin and Derby are once again very similar - I consider both green-leather chypres. Devin is still a piney-green while Derby is a vetiver-green but at this point the differences have pretty much been obscured. Devin still very detectable which is surprising to me. Derby still going strong. Lynn is still MIA!

After 5 hours - Lynn is back - she thinks they are essentially the same and, strangely enough, agrees with me that Devin is slightly piney while Derby is slightly vetiverish. Both are at equal strength - amazing for a cologne!

After 6 hours - Devin still hanging in there and is actually stronger than Derby.

After 7 hours - Devin has lost its pine note but the fragrance is still noticeably here. Derby's vetiver is still with me. Strength is about the same. On an intangible level, I prefer Derby's drydown but that may be only because the snob in me knows its Derby.

After 8 hours - Devin still refuses to act like a good little cologne and wave the white flag. Every bit as strong as Derby at this point. Only difference is Derby's slight vetiver cast.

After 9 hours - Devin and Derby are staring at each other waiting for the other to blink first. Derby is now a little stronger than Devin (about time - it is an EdT after all). They are primarily skin scents at this point but, although they are slightly different, both drydowns are superb. Devin is now a slightly green amber-patchouli-leather while Derby is a slightly vetiver patchouli-leather.

After 10 hours - Still staring at each other but with heavy eye lids (or is it mine that are closing?).

After 11 hours - Derby and Devin have both faded considerably but they are still very detectable. The characteristics of their drydowns have not changed in the last few hours. Derby is now definitely stronger than Devin.

After 12 hours - I am afraid that I am giving out before our contestants! Both Derby and Devin are still detectable and I have been catching sillage whiffs this past hour - long after I thought they were gone. Derby is now only slightly stronger than Devin. Devin is still a slightly green amber-patchouli-leather while Derby is still a slightly vetiver patchouli-leather.

Devin has proven itself to me today.

It is an excellent and classic green-leather chypre fragrance in its own right. It has shown me that it can go toe-to-toe with the legendary Derby.

By a split decision, the reigning champion keeps his title but I will not hesitate to substitute Devin for Derby for all but the most special occasions.

It is late and I am tired. If I can add anything to this in the morning I will!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After 14 hours - Both Derby and Devin are very detectable and I am still catching occasional sillage whiffs from both. Derby still is just slightly stronger than Devin.

After 20 hours - Derby and Devin have left the building. They didn't leave a note so I am not sure which was the last one to leave.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Derby notes in Basenotes Directory:

Top Notes - Bergamot, Lemon, Artemisia, Peppermint ,
    Middle Notes - Pimento, Rose, Pepper, Mace, Jasmin ,
    Base Notes - Leather, Vetiver, Sandal, Patchouli, Moss ,

Devin notes in Basenotes Directory:

Top Notes - Bergamot, Galbanum, Artemisia, Lemon ,
    Middle Notes - Jasmin, Carnation, Pine, Thyme, Cinnamon ,
    Base Notes - Leather, Olibanum, Cedarwood, Amber, Musk, Moss, Patchouli, Labdanum ,
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 26th November 2007 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    OK narcus, confession time — how much Derby have you stockpiled against the nuclear winter that is discontinuation?
    Less than 1 & 1/2 bottles, because:
    - you can always pick up a Guerlain somewhere
    - I want my top favorites to stay 'special'. They get the least wear
    - I am less than 1/2 bottle bottle myself !

the next day: Thanks for your detailed report, TwoRoads !
    Last edited by narcus; 26th November 2007 at 09:48 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a side-by-side test of Devin and Derby today.

I have been updating my 1:00 p.m. post throughout the day with my thoughts and those of my wife.

It is late and I am signing off for now. Devin and Derby will be up for awhile yet, but I am going to sleep!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Devin vs Derby play-by-play -- an engaging read!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

Just posted my final update on yesterday's Derby versus Devin experience.

Thanks to everyone who commented in this thread - I appreciate your input!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is Devin a stand-in for Derby? (Side-by-Side Comparison - Response #9)

Thanks TwoRoads for the side-by-side analysis.

Now, I want a bottle of Devin. As if I need more scents...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is Devin a stand-in for Derby? (Side-by-Side Comparison - Response #9)

Hmmm very interesting ... and now of course, I will need to sniff out Devin as a possible replacement when my Derby decant runs out.

But didn't you miss the mint that is such a wonderful part of Derby?

Oh, and were you sampling vintage OR new Derby?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    But didn't you miss the mint that is such a wonderful part of Derby?

Oh, and were you sampling vintage OR new Derby?
    Although I have a decant of vintage Derby from a fellow Basenoter, yesterday I used some from my bottle of the new Derby.

On my skin, after the first few minutes the mint blends in and is not separately noticeable although I am sure that it adds considerably to the overall effect.

So to answer your question, I guess that I didn't miss the peppermint and I am now wondering what combination of Devin's notes caused that?

Thanks for your comments!

My next Derby test will be the vintage versus the new - I am not sure when that will be though............there are so many others begging to be used!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th November 2007 at 02:27 AM.