Code of Conduct

Default Monk by Storer EDP reformulation - I am in raptures!!!!

I liked the original Monk EDT but this, I think, is something special.

In my opinion Michael Storer has really come of age as a perfumer. The reformulated Monk EDP is an exceptional perfume, blended with great attention, craft and some really beautiful notes and accords.

This is a very "manly" perfume with much coherence. It works across the pyramid the notes of the top, middle and base blending beautifully while vertically through the pyramid there are themes which link top to middle and middle to base.

It starts with a wonderful bergamot and a subtle bitter orange. Next I smelled cocoa falling into civet and (wonderful) blond tobacco with musc notes and a sweep of rose. I love the way the bitter orange sits beneath all of this just brightening it. The beeswax adds a resinous touch. The orange leads into frankincense and civet. The tobacco, musk (ambrette?) and cocoa lead through to the sandalwood, vanilla, tonka and benzoin. The base has a pleasing sharpness and definition, though never loosing its resinous quality; the civet drops off somewhat, leaving a lovely vanilla and tonka, with the vanilla doninating. Right at the bottom is a wonderful jasmine note.

The way I perceive this, three threads run in parallel to create the accords of the top middle and base. There is mild masculine floral theme which runs from acacia through rose and linden to low volatility jasmine at the bottom. Then there is a musky resinous theme which follows galbanum with cocoa, musk, beeswax, cistus and tobacco through to vanilla, tonka and sandalwood. Lastly there is a sharp bright slightly acerbic/funky theme which flows from bitter orange through to francincense and civet. Throughout these connect up and balance in a very pleasing manner. The orange lives on into the beeswax almost suggesting honey, which sits beautifully with the cocoa....I could go on...

For those who knew the initial formulation, while the similarities are apparent, this is warmed up from the original EDT. The civet is stronger and in general the notes are more distinct without ever losing their balance and blend. There is a brightness and an articulation throughout that was perhaps missing before. There is less sweetness around the cocoa.

This is pure class, in my opinion on a par with great perfumes like egoiste.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 24th November 2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typos
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: Monk by Storer EDP reformulation - I am in raptures!!!!

Thank you for the fabulous review HD. I will have to get my hands on some to try.

Barry

Basenotes Institution

Good news hirch - thanks.

I've never smelled Monk (the original), so now my curiosity is piqued.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Great review Hirch! Mouth watering! I've never seen any Mike Storer scents "down under", so maybe this is one that has to be travelled for.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter ó they are known as liars.

You can order samples and bottles from http://www.michaelstorer.com/
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

reviews

I'd not sniffed the original, but just smelled this last week.
    I'd say you're spot on-
    I think it's masterful- a very suave, subtle, and unique take on incense, with no rough edges.
    It smells round and complete- very FBW.

I quite like the combo of dry resinous frankincense and sweet blond tobacco mixed in with cool rose and ambrette seed resting on a base of cedar and birch of the EDT. I haven't been able to catch a whiff of cocoa or civet in the EDT though.

The EDP sounds even better and I will hold off on reviewing Monk until I try it.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post

The way I perceive this, three threads run in parallel to create the accords of the top middle and base. There is mild masculine floral theme which runs from acacia through rose and linden to low volatility jasmine at the bottom. Then there is a musky resinous theme which follows galbanum with cocoa, musk, beeswax, cistus and tobacco through to vanilla, tonka and sandalwood. Lastly there is a sharp bright slightly acerbic/funky theme which flows from bitter orange through to francincense and civet. Throughout these connect up and balance in a very pleasing manner. The orange lives on into the beeswax almost suggesting honey, which sits beautifully with the cocoa....I could go on...
    Good description, but maybe its restricted only to the EDP. I don't get this multi-core goodness in the EDT, which executes more like a typical sequential one-core time sliced fragrance job.
    Last edited by zztopp; 25th November 2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    typical sequential one-core time sliced fragrance job.
    ???
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    ???
    He's referring to a computer operating system. Anyway, I suspect he is saying the
    progression of notes is sequential: First top, then mid, then base. No drifting
    back and forth between the phases of the development.

I wasn't suggesting it slips back and forth but was trying to convey how three threads, while integrated in "parallel" across each of top middle and base, run vertically through those stages. I wish I could draw a picture.

It is easier to follow when you smell it from a blotter/tissue than from skin.

reviews

I wasn't suggesting it slips back and forth but was trying to convey how three threads, while integrated in "parallel" across each of top middle and base, run vertically through those stages. I wish I could draw a picture.

It is easier to follow when you smell it from a blotter/tissue than from skin.
    And how's longevity and sillage?

This is pure class, in my opinion on a par with great perfumes like egoiste.
    I received my sample set this afternoon and, because of your review here Hirch, I headed straight to the Monk.

I only have a few gourmand scents in my collection, but this is easily better than any that I own or have ever sampled!

The EdP strength is amazing - I put a tiny drop on the top of my hand over four hours ago and it is still very prominent (maybe I should have waited as it is overpowering my SotD - Mechant Loup!)

Other than Winter Star, this is the first Michael Storer fragrance that I have tried and it has definitely earned a place high on my wish list!

[BTW, Winter Star is a fragrance that Michael Storer is beta testing on the Women's Forum. My wife received a sample vial. Although it is designed for women, I sampled it and think it leans more to the masculine side of uni-sex. I wouldn't tweak it at all - i loved it! It has the same in-your-face feeling I get when I wear Ambre Sultan.]
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Sounds very promising!

So, how would you classify Monk? Is it a gourmand fragrance (that's best worn during the cooler months)?