Code of Conduct

Default Decades and fragrances

The most recent "old lady" scent thread on the women's board has me interested to know more about the fragrances that characterize decades before the '70's. I'd be really interested to know what you remember, what you wore, and what you associate with the rest of the (last) century.

And if anybody knows where to go for a good read on this question, I'd be grateful too. Older threads on BN? Books on the history of perfume? Thanks, all.

Default Re: Decades and fragrances

The late sixties were charcterised by Patchouli oil and Aramis (classic). The latter smelt much stronger, and was a v. much darker colour than the juice that now passes under that name.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Default Re: Decades and fragrances

Male fragrance history - my pet subject! Let me start by saying you will find no book on the subject. If at all, you may find bits and pieces in literature and 'coffee table perfume books' which, as most of us know, deal with fragrances for women almost exclusively. There is no better way to start than here - in Grant Osborne's comprehensive perfume directory! The search machine allows you to search by decades wherever that makes sense, and you can find most of the marketed fragrances for men, and a few shared colognes. Of course there is always a time lapse between production and actual wear.

I would say, men in Europe mostly wore colognes made since the late forties and fifties in Europe, as there were no international markets like they exist today. In fact, there was not much of a common European consumer market either. What men wore after 1945 and into the early eighties depends on the country you are looking at ! Few men actually wore colognes during the thirties, fourties and fifties. It gradually started with the new generation after the war and was probably not even obvious until the sixties, when new colognes for men were produced in broader numbers and in more than one country (see directory, the sixties). GI's stationed in Berlin mostly smelled of Old Spice, or something green I forgot the name of. It was made by Palmolive and was (then) quite strong too.

I personally visited my first perfume shop in my late teens: Les Galaries Lafayette, Paris, and Etiquette Bleue was the smallest thing I could find (and afford). Never since that day have I lost a preference for smells from Paris. There were two Lanvins for men in the sixties which I started to wear a decade later: Monsieur Lanvin, and Vetyver. Perhaps it was chypres prevailing in the sixties, or colognes with a single dominant note like vetiver, and lavender. Looking back, I have to say that Dior's Eau Sauvage by Edmond Roudnitska was the greatest gift to men from that era!

Eluard, what happened to your white tiger ?
    Last edited by narcus; 26th November 2007 at 12:11 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.