Code of Conduct

Default In need of dire help - Please help a passionate basenoter.

This realistically should be in the wanted section, but I'm hoping that more people will see this to help me.

The situation: I guess I made it known in several posts (the latest: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=202152) that I'm a young 22 year boy who made his way to France with the fervent passion and aim to learn fragrance design. I suffered a lung collapse which required 2 surgical operations 3 weeks ago - it was the worst and most painful experience of my life. Today, I had another post-operation collapse. This means I'm stuck in the house for 2 weeks to see if my body will absorb the air on its own (if not, another operation). In any case, over the past two months, I've been doing self learning, visiting flower/perfume shops, experiencing solifleurs scents, learning the chemistry behind the synthetics and re-learning my organic chemistry. I'm going to make a move to Grasse (the fragrance capital/birth place of some of the best perfumers in the world) and eventually into a design school.

The need: Since, I am under medical house arrest, I would like to ask for a big favor from the generous basenoters on this site. I'm in need of resources (anything) that will help me learn and train my nose. May it be website links or synthetics or samples. I will pay for shipping (fyi: to Lyon, France) and whatever cost for the juice and packaging, but I have to be honest, I don't have a lot of money I have all these medical bills plus I'm surviving purely on academic scholarships that I worked hard to attain) so I can't afford large quantities and take advantage of the perfumed court (since they charge so much) - so if you're in this to make profit, I ask you to please not contact me.

I am solely interested in learning from "solifleurs" (for example: I read on basenotes that CdG Odeur 53 has one of the highest concentrations of hedione) that has little noise from other notes and florals - or if you have essential oils or the actual synthetics like iso e super, damascones, hedione, ionones, etc. that would work way better!

I read through countless of solifleur threads on basenotes and here's what I'm interested in: (please let me know if there's anything better):

Violet
    Balmain's Jolie Madame
    SL - Bois de Violette
    Unicorn Spell
    Bosari Violette de Parma

Gardenia
    Storer's Stephanie

Neroli
    C+S Neroli

Iris
    Iris Silver Mist
    Iris Poudre
    SMN Iris

Lavender
    AdP Lavenda Tonia
    Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria - Lavande
    Annick Goutal's - Eau de Lavande

Lily
    Serge Luten's Un Lys
    Frederic Malle's Lys Med.
    Penhaligon's Lily and Spice

Jasmine
    Different Company - Jasmin de Nuit
    Annick Goutal's Jasmin / Songes
    Creed's - Royal Delight
    Jean Patou's - Joy
    CdG - Odeur 53

Carnation
    LV's Garofano
    SMN's Garofano
    L'artisans Oeillet Sauvage
    Etro's - Dianthrope
    Caron Bellodgia

Narcissus
    L'Artisan's Fleur de Narcissus

Anything to learn: Peony, Bergamot, Yuzu, Verbena, Rosemary, Saffron, Caraway, Cardamom, Clary Sage, Cumin, Galbanum, Geranium, Hyacinth, Heliotrope, Labdanum, Lily of the Valley, etc.

Any others? Suggestions?

I commit to thank those who help me in the near future (like carve your basenotes names in a future perfume bottle or something ). Thank you, thank you, thank you.

- Alex (scentophile)
    Last edited by scentophile; 25th November 2007 at 01:31 AM.

Default Re: In need of dire help - Please help a passionate basenoter.

I'm really sorry to hear of your awful tribulations, Alex. Really sorry. But given your medical condition perhaps you shouldn't be doing anything that might harm the lining of your lungs at this point. Give yourself a little rest while you recover. And I hope that that is soon. I'm sure all of us here on basenotes are behind you in your situation and wish you a speedy recovery!

all the best.

El.
    Last edited by Eluard; 26th November 2007 at 11:15 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

I am reading this with much distress! Having spent months of uncertainty in hospitals to recover from a rather difficult disease myself (a few years ago), I think I can feel part of your pain and needs. Are your physicians certain, that sniffing at fragrances will not endanger your present situation, or interfere with their healing efforts? Even if I don't have much I could send you, I would love to do something small, provided it cannot do you any harm ! Fortunately you have a laptop with you. I may send you a p.m.
    :wave: Get well, Alex !
    Last edited by narcus; 26th November 2007 at 11:16 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Alex, I'm sorry to learn of your hospital stay!

This is certainly a mature and educated request that will separate the "men from the boys" on the forum here. You seem passionate about pursuing your desire to learn the art of perfumery, and for that I wish you all you can dream of.
    Unfortunately, at this time I cannot offer you anything other than my best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery.
    Take care,
    Dimi.

Boy, I lost the sight of my left eye almost 30 years ago, and I know what it means to be desperate in a hospital in a bed not knowing what will happen tomorrow.
    Look now, what can be done. In a recent thread I wrote that I belong to the 'category B', that is I have very few scents. BUT: I've collected some samples, mainly niche, which perhaps could help a bit.
    From Villoresi I have a Garofano sample, almost untouched.
    From Serge Lutens I have Cedre, which is "woody musk blended with tuberose".
    From The Different Company I have (you didn't mention!) Bois d'Iris.
    From The Different Company I have Divine Bergamote.

I give you these ones happily, of course free of charge. Still I have some more Serge Lutens and L'Artisan samples, if I find in any of them the notes you mentioned, I'll send them too.

This is the first time in my life that I feel relief that I don't really love niche frags

From Hungary my package used to get to Dublin within five days by air. It mustn't take longer to get it to you. All I have to know now is your address.
    I wish you peace, and lots of helping hands.

All the best!
    Last edited by Sandy; 26th November 2007 at 03:33 PM.

I'm going to make some different suggestions that may work better for you as far as learning notes from specific perfumes. I think some of the ones you have listed are too vague to pick out the specific note listed, or are otherwise hard or more expensive to obtain.

Violet
    Guerlain Meteorites (discontinued, but can be had for very cheap on ebay)

Gardenia
    Marc Jacobs signature scent...easy to find.

Iris
    Iris Silver Mist - this really is the best example, but very expensive. Bois D'Iris is cheaper and easier to find. Here's a thread I started on Iris scents.

Lily
    Serge Luten's Un Lys
    I think these two are really the best representation of the note.

Jasmine
    I think A La Nuit and Jasmin Full have the clearest jamin notes. Odeur 53 is definitely the best for Hedione. Contrary to popular belief, Eau Sauvage only has around 3% Hedione...not the easiest thing to pick out.

Carnation
    CDG Carnation
    Caron Bellodgia

Here's another list that I put together for another thread with lots of other notes.

Aldehydes – K de Krizia, Chanel No. 5, White Linen
    Amber - Ambre Precieux by MPG, Ambre Sultan by Lutens
    Ambergris – Eau de Merveilles by Hermes
    Ambrette Seed - No. 18 by Chanel
    Angelica - Angelique Sous La Pluis by Malle
    Basil - Baime by MPG
    Bergamot - Divine Bergamot by The Different Company
    Blackberry - Mure et Musc by L'Artisan
    Black Currant - Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    Calone - L'Eau D'Issey by Miyake, Escape by Calvin Klein
    Carnation - Bellodgia by Caron, Carnation by CDG
    Cedar - Bois series by Lutens, Cedre by Lutens, Feminite du Bois by Shiseido
    Cherry Blossom - Various Cherry Blossom editions from Guerlain
    Cinnamon - Rousse by Lutens, Cinnamon by CDG
    Civet – Jicky by Guerlain, Rose Poivree by TDC
    Dihydromercenol - Cool Water
    Fig - Marc Jacobs for Men, Premier Figuier by L'Artisan
    Fern - Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL
    Flour - Bois Farine by L'Artisan
    Gardenia - Marc Jacobs
    Grapefruit - Pamplelune by Guerlain, Un Jardin Sur Le Nil by Hermes
    Hedione - Odour 53 by CDG
    Hyacinth - Jacinthe de Bois by L'Artisan
    Ionones - Apres L'Ondee by Guerlain, Bois de Violette by Lutens
    Iso E Super - Escentric Molecules, Declaration by Cartier
    Iris - Iris Silver Mist by Lutens, Bois D'Iris by The Different Company, Iris Bleu Gris by MPG, Infusion D'Iris by Prada
    Jasmin - A La Nuit by Lutens, Jasmin Full by Montale
    Kiwi - Tutti Kiwi by Guerlain
    Lavender - English Lavender by Yardley, Anti-Hero by Etat Libre
    Leather - Cabochard by Gres, Cuir de Russie by Chanel, Bandit by Piguet, Antaeus by Chanel
    Lemon - Lemon Sorbet by Etro
    Lilac - En Passant by Malle
    Lily - Un Lys by Lutens, Lys Mediteranee by Malle
    Lily of the Valley - Diorissimo by Dior
    Mandarin - Mandarine Tout Simplement by L'Artisan, Mandarine Basalic by Guerlain
    Mint - Mint/Peppermint by CDG, Menthe Fraiche by Heeley
    Musk - Muscs Koublai Khan by Lutens, Original Musk by Kiehls, Musc Ravageur by Malle
    Neroli/Orange Blossom - Castile by Penhaligon's, Fleurs D'Oranger by Lutens, Fleurs D'Oranger by L'Artisan
    Orange - Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes
    Osmanthus - Osmanthus by The Different Company, Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes
    Patchouli - Patchouli by Etro
    Peach - Mitsouko by Guerlain, Bois et Fruits by Lutens
    Pepper - Poivre Samarcande by Hermes, Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan
    Pineapple - Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan
    Rhubarb - Rhubarb by CDG
    Rose - Nahema by Guerlain, Une Rose by Malle
    Sandalwood - Santal Blanc by Lutens
    Tea - Tea by CDG, The Verte by Bvlgari, The Pour Un Ete by L'Artisan
    Tobacco - Jasmin & Cigarette by Etat Libre
    Tuberose - Tubereuse Criminelle by Lutens, Carnal Flower by Malle, Fracas by Piguet
    Vetiver - Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle, Vetiver by Lorenzo V.
    Violet - Meteorites by Guerlain, Violette Verte by L'Artisan, Grey Flannel
    White Musk - Clair de Musc by Lutens
    Yuzu - Yuzu Rouge by Parfums 06130

Thank you so much for the responses. I'm not one to easily accept generosity, so it is absolutely humbling. Eluard and Narcus, you guys are right. I should probably not be inhaling anything right now. Today, I had this horrifying thought that all this fragrance sniffing (and sniffing in general all my life) could have been the source of my distress - though I've never smoked, inhaled sharpies/glue [thank God!], or inhaled anything that I "wasn't supposed to". I did enjoy those fruity markers when I was a kid. Joking aside, I've decided to take it easy and step away from fragrance sniffing until I'm told that my lung has fully inflated though I wouldn't mind getting everything together for some intensive nose training right after.
    --------------------------------------

Thanks sofresh. I never had the opportunity to comment on your educated nose though I follow your posts. I made some comments below in brackets:

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm going to make some different suggestions that may work better for you as far as learning notes from specific perfumes. I think some of the ones you have listed are too vague to pick out the specific note listed, or are otherwise hard or more expensive to obtain.

Violet
    Guerlain Meteorites (discontinued, but can be had for very cheap on ebay)

[I tried looking for this only to find it was discontinued... thus the run in with the mean sales ladies]

Gardenia
    Marc Jacobs signature scent...easy to find.

[This is the staple reference that I go to, but I was hoping to find another good one.]

Iris
    Iris Silver Mist - this really is the best example, but very expensive. Bois D'Iris is cheaper and easier to find. Here's a thread I started on Iris scents.

[I'm very familiar with your Iris thread! I smelled Bois D'Iris (Jean-Claude Ellena right?), but I was turned off by it. I'll go back to it for the education.]

Lily
    Serge Luten's Un Lys
    I think these two are really the best representation of the note.

Jasmine
    I think A La Nuit and Jasmin Full have the clearest jamin notes. Odeur 53 is definitely the best for Hedione. Contrary to popular belief, Eau Sauvage only has around 3% Hedione...not the easiest thing to pick out.

[I read about the Eau Sauvage statistic - that's too bad . Two days ago, I got a little sample of A La Nuit for the purpose]

Carnation
    CDG Carnation
    Caron Bellodgia

Here's another list that I put together for another thread with lots of other notes.

Aldehydes – K de Krizia, Chanel No. 5, White Linen
    Amber - Ambre Precieux by MPG, Ambre Sultan by Lutens
    Ambergris – Eau de Merveilles by Hermes
    Ambrette Seed - No. 18 by Chanel
    Angelica - Angelique Sous La Pluis by Malle
    Basil - Baime by MPG
    Bergamot - Divine Bergamot by The Different Company
    Blackberry - Mure et Musc by L'Artisan
    Black Currant - Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    Calone - L'Eau D'Issey by Miyake, Escape by Calvin Klein
    Carnation - Bellodgia by Caron, Carnation by CDG
    Cedar - Bois series by Lutens, Cedre by Lutens, Feminite du Bois by Shiseido
    Cherry Blossom - Various Cherry Blossom editions from Guerlain
    Cinnamon - Rousse by Lutens, Cinnamon by CDG
    Civet – Jicky by Guerlain, Rose Poivree by TDC
    Dihydromercenol - Cool Water
    Fig - Marc Jacobs for Men, Premier Figuier by L'Artisan
    Fern - Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL
    Flour - Bois Farine by L'Artisan
    Gardenia - Marc Jacobs
    Grapefruit - Pamplelune by Guerlain, Un Jardin Sur Le Nil by Hermes
    Hedione - Odour 53 by CDG
    Hyacinth - Jacinthe de Bois by L'Artisan
    Ionones - Apres L'Ondee by Guerlain, Bois de Violette by Lutens
    Iso E Super - Escentric Molecules, Declaration by Cartier
    Iris - Iris Silver Mist by Lutens, Bois D'Iris by The Different Company, Iris Bleu Gris by MPG, Infusion D'Iris by Prada
    Jasmin - A La Nuit by Lutens, Jasmin Full by Montale
    Kiwi - Tutti Kiwi by Guerlain
    Lavender - English Lavender by Yardley, Anti-Hero by Etat Libre
    Leather - Cabochard by Gres, Cuir de Russie by Chanel, Bandit by Piguet, Antaeus by Chanel
    Lemon - Lemon Sorbet by Etro
    Lilac - En Passant by Malle
    Lily - Un Lys by Lutens, Lys Mediteranee by Malle
    Lily of the Valley - Diorissimo by Dior
    Mandarin - Mandarine Tout Simplement by L'Artisan, Mandarine Basalic by Guerlain
    Mint - Mint/Peppermint by CDG, Menthe Fraiche by Heeley
    Musk - Muscs Koublai Khan by Lutens, Original Musk by Kiehls, Musc Ravageur by Malle
    Neroli/Orange Blossom - Castile by Penhaligon's, Fleurs D'Oranger by Lutens, Fleurs D'Oranger by L'Artisan
    Orange - Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes
    Osmanthus - Osmanthus by The Different Company, Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes
    Patchouli - Patchouli by Etro
    Peach - Mitsouko by Guerlain, Bois et Fruits by Lutens
    Pepper - Poivre Samarcande by Hermes, Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan
    Pineapple - Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan
    Rhubarb - Rhubarb by CDG
    Rose - Nahema by Guerlain, Une Rose by Malle
    Sandalwood - Santal Blanc by Lutens
    Tea - Tea by CDG, The Verte by Bvlgari, The Pour Un Ete by L'Artisan
    Tobacco - Jasmin & Cigarette by Etat Libre
    Tuberose - Tubereuse Criminelle by Lutens, Carnal Flower by Malle, Fracas by Piguet
    Vetiver - Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle, Vetiver by Lorenzo V.
    Violet - Meteorites by Guerlain, Violette Verte by L'Artisan, Grey Flannel
    White Musk - Clair de Musc by Lutens
    Yuzu - Yuzu Rouge by Parfums 06130

[I started that other thread which you contributed . I'm familiar with a huge chuck of your suggestions, but I never made the proper association. I'll go back to the scents if I get my hands on them. Thanks!]
    Last edited by scentophile; 26th November 2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Wise decision Alex,
    take your time to recover well so that also your body can enjoy at best the scents you try. Wishing you all the best buddy!!!

Wishing you a prompt and thorough recovery, Alex!

While you give your respiratory system some time off from fragrance sniffing, I have two thoughts about productive ways to move towards your goal of getting into perfumery.

First, you might continue your study of both natural and synthetic components by reading about them. Not the same as smelling them and working with them, but we do what we can... There's a nice list here, for instance (click "Perfumery Supplies" -- and check out the other links from the same page).

Second, you might keep a journal to collect industry information: Who are the major suppliers of natural perfume oils? Who's in charge at the big aromachemical companies? Who are the noses you most admire, and what are the characteristics of each one's work? You could even write polite letters to these folks asking for their professional advice.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 26th November 2007 at 05:41 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Wishing you a prompt and thorough recovery, Alex!

While you give your respiratory system some time off from fragrance sniffing, I have two thoughts about productive ways to move towards your goal of getting into perfumery.

First, you might continue your study of both natural and synthetic components by reading about them. Not the same as smelling them and working with them, but we do what we can... There's a nice list here, for instance (click "Perfumery Supplies" -- and check out the other links from the same page).

Second, you might keep a journal to collect industry information: Who are the major suppliers of natural perfume oils? Who's in charge at the big aromachemical companies? Who are the noses you most admire, and what are the characteristics of each one's work? You could even write polite letters to these folks asking for their professional advice.
    Interestingly, I've done or in the process of doing everything that you have written. I've filled up notebooks and notebooks of chemical symbols, addresses, contact information, suppliers, names of perfumers and their works, and have been trying to make contact with perfumers . The post is a kind reminder that I'm on the right track. Thank you Paul!

I still have so much work and learning that I have to do *wheew*.

Thank you for the link. I'll put that on my to read list.
    Last edited by scentophile; 26th November 2007 at 06:07 PM.