Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Aramis 900 - wow wow wow !!!!

Yesterday I tried and bought Aramis 900 and it goes directly into my all time top 3! I do not understand how I have been able to ignore this scent for so many years (ok, it cannot be found in my country but still.....).

I have tried it from time to time (when travelling abroad) but never done a real "full body testing". But now I finally bought it and I have not been able to take away my nose from myself

But I really do recognize this smell - from women! I often smell it on the street. I know (now) that it is 99% similar to Clinique Aromatics Elixir but since I am quite sure that the Clinique version is not too common here it must be something else. So, my question is:

Which other female scent smells like Aramis 900 ?

(smelling my wrist again) DAMN it's good!!!

Mic.

Default Re: Aramis 900 - wow wow wow !!!!

Mikeperez was singing the praises of Clinique Aromatiques recently. Maybe he could shed some light on the comparison.

I must say I love threads that make me want to try something that I've previously overlooked.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Your reaction is very similar to my one that I posted about here three months ago when I came across Aramis 900 for the first time in Berlin. I had to buy it on the spot - full price!
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Your reaction is very similar to my one that I posted about here three months ago when I came across Aramis 900 for the first time in Berlin. I had to buy it on the spot - full price!
    Renato
    I also bought it in Germany (Dόsseldorf airport)

Mic.

Hm, the only one I have that is very similar to Aromatics Elixir (which I also have) is Azuree. So, that might be it. How popular or available are the classic Estee Lauders there?

Oh, just thought of another. Might it be Eau Dynamisante? That's another herbal fragrance for women.
    Last edited by leffleur; 25th November 2007 at 02:29 AM.

Mic — can you look on the bottle and tell us where yours was made.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    Mic — can you look on the bottle and tell us where yours was made.
    Yep!

On the sticker at the bottom of the bottle is says: Made in England 3661 (what does 3661 mean?)

Mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Yep!

On the sticker at the bottom of the bottle is says: Made in England 3661 (what does 3661 mean?)

Mic.
    I don't know what 3661 means but I have noticed previously that Aramis fragrances are made in different places in the world and have regional differences depending on where they are made. I first noticed this with Havana — I have one made in Switzerland and another made in South Africa and they are subtly different in the top notes (I prefer the Sth African one.)

An Aramis 900 made in the U.K. might be different to one manufactured in the U.S.

Most of Lauder's/Aramis classics are made in London England - 900, JHL, Devin, Tuscany.

Have always loved both 900 and Aromatics Elixir alike -- both are superb herbal frags heavy on the greenery.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Most of Lauder's/Aramis classics are made in London England - 900, JHL, Devin, Tuscany.
    Interesting! Even JHL! Is 900 readily available in the U.S.? I just looked at Fragrance X and they don't have it online.

You are now in erudite company: scentemental always rates 900 very highly.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    You are now in erudite company: scentemental always rates 900 very highly.
    That's a rec that's good enough for me.

Aramis 900 is readily available in the U.S. Check Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's.

Ha! Here is the thread that answers the poster's original question:

Aromatics vs 900

and also

Last edited by Eluard; 25th November 2007 at 11:27 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Mikeperez was singing the praises of Clinique Aromatiques recently. Maybe he could shed some light on the comparison.

I must say I love threads that make me want to try something that I've previously overlooked.
    Just noticed this thread...

Here's the thing - I love the way Aromatics Elixir smells on other people, but on me it really is a mess. From what I remember...the same can be said for 900.

Before this thread, I had no idea that you could compare them side-by-side so closely - but it seems that you can. If you remember guys the same goes for the other Estee Lauder / Aramis scents: Cinnabar = JHL

However more recently, you can't really see similarities in the womens and men's fragrances - they are much more different now.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Before this thread, I had no idea that you could compare them side-by-side so closely - but it seems that you can. If you remember guys the same goes for the other Estee Lauder / Aramis scents: Cinnabar = JHL

The same can be said with Estee/Aramis:
    Allage = Devin
    Azzure = Aramis
    Estee = Lauder for men

There is just some thing about 900 - be aromatherphy or what ever but when I wear that scent my mood and mind is more relaxed and creative. I hang out with a lot of artist and many of the female Aromatics is their signature scent.
    Last edited by scentimus; 25th November 2007 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    The same can be said with Estee/Aramis:
    Allage = Devin
    Azzure = Aramis
    Estee = Lauder for men

There is just some thing about 900 - be aromatherphy or what ever but when I wear that scent my mood and mind is more relaxed and creative. I hang out with a lot of artist and many of the female Aromatics is their signature scent.
    You are in possession of a lot of interesting information there scentimus! There is a long lost, highly lamented Aramis scent called Chromatics. Do you happen to know if that was also doubled up by a Lauder scent? There might be a few people who would be glad to see that one again!

Actually I have a second question as well. There are many items listed on ebay that are Aramis 900, then down below it says Herbal Eau de Gologne. Is this the original Aramis 900 that everyone is talking about here or is that a different scent?
    Last edited by Eluard; 26th November 2007 at 12:32 AM.

You are in possession of a lot of interesting information there scentimus! There is a long lost, highly lamented Aramis scent called Chromatics. Do you happen to know if that was also doubled up by a Lauder scent? There might be a few people who would be glad to see that one again!

Actually I have a second question as well. There are many items listed on ebay that are Aramis 900, then down below it says Herbal Eau de Gologne. Is this the original Aramis 900 that everyone is talking about here or is that a different scent?
    It is the same scent. I think it was called Aramis 900 at it's release but later the "Herbal....." was added to the name. My brand new bottle has that name.

Mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    It is the same scent. I think it was called Aramis 900 at it's release but later the "Herbal....." was added to the name. My brand new bottle has that name.

Mic.
    Thanks Mic! Much obliged.

Well, if A900(never smelled it) smells like CAE..............it's not for me! My youngest sister and my DW both wear CAE and I can't stand it. It's bitter and synthetic to me.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

900's one of the few men's fragrances that's truly worth a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    900's one of the few men's fragrances that's truly worth a shit.
    Short, to the point and 100% accurate -

Well said pluran!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

Well said pluran!
    Rubbish! It's just an example of argumentative hyperbolae. There are many, many great male fragrances and I could rattle off twenty without even trying. So, for that matter, could Pluran — because he has an excellent knowledge of male fragrances!

Rubbish! It's just an example of argumentative hyperbolae. There are many, many great male fragrances and I could rattle off twenty without even trying. So, for that matter, could Pluran — because he has an excellent knowledge of male fragrances!

I and most Basenoters could also rattle off twenty without trying - that, however, is not the point that pluran made and with which I agreed:

Out of the thousands of male fragrances - past and present - there is a very small percentage - at most a couple hundred - that are truly great fragrances.

IMHO, Aramis 900 is one of them and I agreed with pluran when he stated that. I don't see that as being argumentative or spinning the subject matter - just a statement of my opinion.

If you don't think Aramis 900 is one of the all-time classic fragrances, you certainly have the right and the ability to say so.

I respect your right to hold whatever opinion you have, even if I disagree with it.

Similarly, I would hope that you would respect my right to hold whatever opinion I have.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I and most Basenoters could also rattle off twenty without trying - that, however, is not the point that pluran made and with which I agreed:

Out of the thousands of male fragrances - past and present - there is a very small percentage - at most a couple hundred - that are truly great fragrances.

IMHO, Aramis 900 is one of them and I agreed with pluran when he stated that. I don't see that as being argumentative or spinning the subject matter - just a statement of my opinion.

If you don't think Aramis 900 is one of the all-time classic fragrances, you certainly have the right and the ability to say so.

I respect your right to hold whatever opinion you have, even if I disagree with it.

Similarly, I would hope that you would respect my right to hold whatever opinion I have.
    I'm sorry but I have to wonder about your ability to read. And, no, I don't respect your ability to misunderstand in such a flagrant fashion what I said, and what previous posters have said. And my lack of respect increases with every line you write.

I am not saying that 900 is not "one of the all-time classic fragrances" and I don't see how you've gotten that from what I've said.

The issue was not whether, as you say "Out of the thousands of male fragrances - past and present - there is a very small percentage - at most a couple hundred - that are truly great fragrances." but rather whether 900 is one of the "few men's fragrances that's truly worth a shit". It is the latter claim that is nonsense, but you appararently want to reinterpret it in the way that suits you. Fine, but don't dare correct me when I interpret it accurately.

Do you undedrstand English? Do you know what hyperbolae is? Do you understand the difference between "few X's are worth a shit" and "few are truly great fragrances"?

Pluran's statement was unrestrained argumentative hyperbolae — of the kind that he's been throwing out a lot lately. A pity that you seem to have become misled by it.

Eluard,

We have both stated our positions and it doesn't bother me that your interpretation is different than mine. I accept you as you are.

Why don't we give the people reading these posts a break and just agree to disagree.

I am not going to comment or be drawn into this any further than you have already taken me.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 26th November 2007 at 05:13 AM.

Eluard,

We have both stated our positions and it doesn't bother me that your interpretation is different than mine. I accept you as you are.

Why don't we give the people reading these posts a break and just agree to disagree.

I am not going to comment or be drawn into this any further than you have already taken me.
    This is fine by me — you misunderstood what part of Pluran's statement I was objecting to, and responded. I think I've made it clear now what I was objecting to and why. I see nothing more to add to this. It was just an unfortunate and unnecessary disagreement. I was not denying the claim that A 900 is a great scent. Only that it was not one of the few that is worth a shit.

Peace now.
    Last edited by Eluard; 26th November 2007 at 09:23 AM.

Write here only to say, ARAMIS 900 is one of the best classical masculine perfumes I've ever smelled. It's truly timeless. I wondered that it is made several decades ago and is pretty wearable now for a 20-something guy!
    (Also as a non native English speaker here, I think calling Aramis 900 "one of the few that is worth a shit" doesn't mean it is a GOOD classic!)

msi_21 are you really in Tehran? I used to live in Tehran when I was much younger. Glad you joined in the Aramis 900 debate.

I think Aramis 900 is wonderful.

I'm sorry but I have to wonder about your ability to read. And, no, I don't respect your ability to misunderstand in such a flagrant fashion what I said, and what previous posters have said. And my lack of respect increases with every line you write.

I am not saying that 900 is not "one of the all-time classic fragrances" and I don't see how you've gotten that from what I've said.

The issue was not whether, as you say "Out of the thousands of male fragrances - past and present - there is a very small percentage - at most a couple hundred - that are truly great fragrances." but rather whether 900 is one of the "few men's fragrances that's truly worth a shit". It is the latter claim that is nonsense, but you appararently want to reinterpret it in the way that suits you. Fine, but don't dare correct me when I interpret it accurately.

Do you undedrstand English? Do you know what hyperbolae is? Do you understand the difference between "few X's are worth a shit" and "few are truly great fragrances"?

Pluran's statement was unrestrained argumentative hyperbolae — of the kind that he's been throwing out a lot lately. A pity that you seem to have become misled by it.

Wow!

I feel compelled to comment. Let's just call that a personality defect on my part. Unlike you (apparently) El, I try not to take myself too seriously. I'll stipulate that to be a fault on my part, too. I have a lot of faults...I have a lot of faults. It is so liberating and relaxing to say that. You might try it some time. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you're the type of person who not only never utters those words, but probably never could utter those words. A pity. I apologize for calling your situation "a pity". Calling someone's situation " a pity" is very rude and condescending, don't you think?.

Why the need to chastise and belittle, man?

Surely there is a forum somewhere on this glorious Internet that caters to intellectuals (or wannabee intellectuals) who like to use words and phrases that 99% of the population do not understand. I would suggest, with the most possible due respect, that you find such a place and become a member. Such a forum will afford you the opportunity to "get off" at will. I'm guessing that when you flexed your intellectual muscles and belittled another Basenoter you enjoyed some kind of a "release". A pity, really.

"Hyperbolae"? Wow. I've got a few college degrees and I'm usually the smartest person in the room, but you got me with that one El. I had to look it up myself and I'm still confused - it said something about curvey lines or some such thing. Now I'm even more confused. Like I said...I have a lot of faults. I get a "release" every time I say that. Shame on me.

I shouldn't make such deceptive statements El. I really don't give a hoot (I was tempted to use the word "shit" but decided to take the high road) about the meaning of hyperbolae, and I'll betcha that most members of this forum don't either. But I'll bet that THEY ALL care about the way they are treated.

One final word about "pity". The real pity is that you probably don't even realize how pathetic your post was. The disrespect you showed toward TwoRoads was outrageous. You owe him an apology for that disrespect.

By the way, there are only two "d"s in the word understand - I'm sorry El, but now I have to worry about your abilities...

Peace now.
    Last edited by Mikey Q; 26th November 2007 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks Mikey Q!

Eluard and I have established a truce, but I certainly appreciate your kind words.

I am self-deprecating but not completely uneducated.

My previous reference to "spinning" was based upon my understanding of the word hyperbole:

Main Entry: hyperbole
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: exaggeration
    Synonyms: PR*, amplification, ballyhoo, big talk*, coloring*, distortion, embellishment, embroidering, enlargement, hype*, magnification, metaphor, overstatement, puff, tall talk*
    Antonyms: understatement
    Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.3.1)

The only question I really have is, if Eluard is upset with pluran, why did he choose to quote me and drag me into this when he should have confronted pluran directly?

The only question I really have is, if Eluard is upset with pluran, why did he choose to quote me and drag me into this when he should have confronted pluran directly?
    I 'm not sure that he was upset with pluran. I think what really happened is he had his rifle with attached sight focused and laying in wait...and you walked into the line of fire. Said differently, he was waiting for someone to take a shot at...and you came along. But I might be wrong - I have a lot of faults. Ahhhhhh. Feels so good to say that.

By the way, "A Road Less Traveled" by Scott Peck is a great read (in case you don't already know that) . And I too like Aramis 900 a lot. It used to be my "travel bottle". Found it to be versatile enough to wear in a wide range of situations - one of the few bottles I've actually emptied, lol.

Travel safely my friend,

Mike
    Last edited by Mikey Q; 26th November 2007 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    I'm usually the smartest person in the room,
    Sure. You keep telling yourself that.

You know Mikey, the thing that I notice most about your supercilious post is that in the entirety of it there is absolutely no mention of the substantive issue that was behind the argument. No mention of it at all. No mention by TwoRoads either, for that matter. The protest against Pluran’s hyperbolic silliness is simply ignored, so that you can exercise your very small talent for childish invective.

Those who defend reason have a tough time of it in this world. Contending with wannabe demagogues like Pluran is the easy part. They can be ignored. The hard part is dealing with the enthusiastic lackies who want to high-five everything the demagogue says, no matter how ridiculous. And then — when that is protested against — there is having to deal with the likes of (and I hope you can feel the contempt invested in this) you. People who dress up their spiteful, stupid, inner cretin as the Emily Post of politeness.

Such people are the real enemies of reason

So — no more peace.

Someone mentioned my name?

I see Eluard's been paddling upstream again. Take it easy Eluard. It's not that difficult.

After living with bottles of most of the good ones for a long time, I believe Aramis 900 Herbal EDC is one of the few men's fragrances that is truly worth a shit.

Simple. You see, you can be for something without being against something else.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th November 2007 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    After living with bottles of most of the good ones for a long while, I believe Aramis 900 Herbal EDC is one of the few men's fragrances that is truly worth a shit.

Simple. You see, you can be for something without being against something else.
    I reiterate -

Well said pluran!
    For those whose native language is not English and maybe for some of us for whom it is, "worth a shit" is an idiom, a figure of speech, that means "has value".

In this case it means that Aramis 900 is one of the few men's fragrances that truly has value.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th November 2007 at 01:16 AM.

For those whose native language is not English and maybe for some for whom it is, "worth a shit" is an idiom, a figure of speech, that means "has value".

In this case it means that Aramis 900 is one of the few men's fragrances that truly has value.
    Thanks for the clarity TwoRoads.

For me, "worth a shit" just means they're really good.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th November 2007 at 08:34 AM.

Hmmm - I'm not sure I agree with that statement.

I can think of several hundred scents that have value, and I own them. Two of my scents have no scent value to me (Quorum and What about Adam) but I keep them to occasionally sniff them and puzzle over why others think they have value (not least of whom, the perfumers who created them).

Furthermore, there are several other thousand scents which I also think have value, but their price is greater than what I value them at, or I would have bought them.

Aramis 900 certainly rates in my top 100 scents value wise - it had better, as it's one of the 20 or so scents that I actually opened my wallet and paid the full store retail price for.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 27th November 2007 at 09:43 AM.

Thumbs down Re: Aramis 900 - wow wow wow !!!!

You know Mikey, the thing that I notice most about your supercilious post is that in the entirety of it there is absolutely no mention of the substantive issue that was behind the argument. No mention of it at all. No mention by TwoRoads either, for that matter. The protest against Pluran’s hyperbolic silliness is simply ignored, so that you can exercise your very small talent for childish invective.

Those who defend reason have a tough time of it in this world. Contending with wannabe demagogues like Pluran is the easy part. They can be ignored. The hard part is dealing with the enthusiastic lackies who want to high-five everything the demagogue says, no matter how ridiculous. And then — when that is protested against — there is having to deal with the likes of (and I hope you can feel the contempt invested in this) you. People who dress up their spiteful, stupid, inner cretin as the Emily Post of politeness.

Such people are the real enemies of reason

So — no more peace.
    OK, you don't like their way of stating their opinions, but how it gave you the right to insult them?!
    What's wrong with you? Why are you so rude about other members?
    I've never seen in any forum, that a member write about other members so impolitely!

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    OK, you don't like their way of stating their opinions, but how it gave you the right to insult them?!
    What's wrong with you? Why are you so rude about other members?
    I've never seen in any forum, that a member write about other members so impolitely!
    I'm getting a little tired of silly imbeciles trying to pretend that my defence of myself constitutes an unprovoked attack. Grow up or go away.

Talking Re: Aramis 900 - wow wow wow !!!!

I'm getting a little tired of silly imbeciles trying to pretend that my defence of myself constitutes an unprovoked attack. Grow up or go away.
    Could you please tell us what was your defense of yourself?! You defend your self by insulting 2roads, Pluran and mikey Q? I can't see any "Self-defense" in your posts, all you wrote is rude and impolite words against other members.
    Respect Others, Or GO AWAY!

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    Could you please tell us what was your defense of yourself?! You defend your self by insulting 2roads, Pluran and mikey Q? I can't see any "Self-defense" in your posts, all you wrote is rude and impolite words against other members.
    Respect Others, Or GO AWAY!
    I don't see any point in saying anything more here: it is perfectly obvious that you have no ability whatsoever to read the exchange and see what I was protesting about or why I felt attacked and insulted initially. Insult begets insult, and I am perfectly happy to go on delivering that if you should ask for it. But I don't think it will do you any good: I'm not sure you're teachable.

It was obvious that there was something very wrong in your reactions to posts way back in this thread below. (See my post 4 and your weird, crazy response to it.)

Tobacco thread

Anyone can look back and see the completely bizarre and inappropriate way that you responded to my very innocent suggestion. You've gone on responding this way since. So what can I say: I'll happily ignore you in the future and will feel no loss from that at all. The lighter the fool the more heavy they make the day.
    Last edited by Eluard; 27th November 2007 at 12:12 PM.

Smile Re: Aramis 900 - wow wow wow !!!!

I don't see any point in saying anything more here: it is perfectly obvious that you have no ability whatsoever to read the exchange and see what I was protesting about or why I felt attacked and insulted initially. Insult begets insult, and I am perfectly happy to go on delivering that if you should ask for it. But I don't think it will do you any good: I'm not sure you're teachable.

It was obvious that there was something very wrong in your reactions to posts way back in this thread below. (See my post 4 and your weird, crazy response to it.)

Tobacco thread

Anyone can look back and see the completely bizarre and inappropriate way that you responded to my very innocent suggestion. You've gone on responding this way since. So what can I say: I'll happily ignore you in the future and will feel no loss from that at all. The lighter the fool the more heavy they make the day.
    Well, in thread "Tobacco scent..." which you referred, I saw another rough writing from you. If you are willing to learn about how to share your opinion about perfumes, you can see the posts #2, #3, #5 or many others there or in other threads.
    Also, why are you so eager to fighting with other members?!
    And here, the main problem came from that you weren't able to understand the idiom that pluran used in his post. But instead of trying to say your opinion in a friendly and kind manner, you began to insult others.
    Anyway, when you feel "INSULTED", its better to be sure that, the person behind that post INTENTIONALLY wanted to insult you. If so, OK, you can deliver your inner being.
    But, as you can understand from the posts after the pluran's post, there weren't any INTENTIONAL ATTACK on you! If you have the ability to communicate your resentment properly, there wouldn't be so discussion here. I recommend going back to school and attending some "SOCIAL SKILLS" classes.

And if my "weird, crazy response" in that thread annoyed you, I can freely say: Excuse me! Sorry for my "bizarre and inappropriate way" of posting! or so...Also you owe an apology to "2 roads" because of your posts. People can judge us by looking to our posts.

Finally, I know, in the world with more than 6,000,000,000 persons in population, all of us are ignorable (both me and YOU)...but it could be completely ignorance to ignore the human dignity...

Do you own a mirror?

Lighten up.

All this because I don't agree that pluran's statement was hyperbole? (not hyperbolae by the way)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow msi_21!

Thanks for the support. I'll watch your back any time! (whoops, El, it's just another idiom - it means I will defend him especially where he is most vulnerable)
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th November 2007 at 01:50 PM.

Not long ago a friend sent me a copy of a document, knowing that I am a perpetual student and one who appreciates things that are well written. I read the document and was astonished at the perfection in the way that the words were chosen and then cohesively woven around concepts and ideas. This brilliant author, and I do mean brilliant, created a true masterpiece of a document. Period. Not only was the document perfectly composed, but ahead of that the ideas expressed were invented by the author from nothing. A true work of art.

For part of his life the author lived in a very small cabin in Montana, alone. He had a garden that he nurtured, defecating in it to facilitate the growth process. This was a man who was unbelievably brilliant but he had a flaw. He could not get along with people. It seems he never learned how to put himself in the shoes of others, and as a result he had a history of conflicts with the people in his life. These conflicts generated anger, and the anger generated violence. He mailed out bombs that killed innocent people. His first victim just happens to be an acquaintance of mine, Terry Marker. He was working at a Chicago University and injured by the blast of the first bomb sent out by.......the Unabomber. Here's a link to his Manifesto:
    http://www.thecourier.com/manifest.htm
    It is a must read for anyone who appreciates a brilliantly composed document. I read Eluard's prose and I see the same brilliance. That is a compliment Eluard.

But brilliance is not the whole story. Not in this venue, anyway. This is a forum, an assembly of people talking about fragrance. There is no room here for disrespect. Eluard, your response to my post and the post of others suggests that you are really missing the point. I'll ask the question again:

Why the need to chastise and belittle, man?

Someone "insults" you so let the attacks begin? Sorry, no sale. Maybe you can relate this incident to the categorical imperative. Professor Kant would ask, "What if everyone did this? What would be the impact to society?"

This is a Forum about fragrances. Respect our members or you will be challenged for what everyone but you apparently sees as your inappropriate conduct.

PS - I'm am very excited to be wearing Sud Est by Romeo Gigli today - sweet and spicey, ooh-la-la
    Last edited by Mikey Q; 27th November 2007 at 02:38 PM.

Dependent

is 900 a true cologne (lasts ½ an hour or less on me except for Helmut Lang's) or is EDT strength longevity?

Prices being what they are I'm starting to look more for longevety than "where the hell did it go?"

Wow! All of this over Aramis 900? While I do agree with Pluran (and others) that this is certainly some high quality stuff, it's simply too somber for me. I had a bottle last year and had to return it; it made me feel about twenty years older.

On a side note, there are some fires raging here that really need to be put out. All of us are very passionate about our likes and dislikes. Some people love fragrances that others don't, and vice versa. However, none of this is a reason for insult. If we're not civilized enough to accept another's opinion as his opinion without insulting others becuase of it, we should simply shut down our computer and go for a walk, or at the very least go to another thread.

And I write this with the best of intentions.
    You are not your perfume.

Dependent

I forgot to add that a currently used colloquialism here in the states "it's the shit" means it's a very good thing.

I like Balenciaga Pour Homme, it's the shit. See? There may have been a similar stab at saying Aramis 900 is the shit. What I need to know is how seriously do i have to take the word cologne on the bottle since cologne usually impies less essential oil goodness. And that ain't shit.

I guess I just need to know how long the wow wow wow lasts.

And if anyone starts with me may I ask that you look at the title of NJ's own Yo La Tengo's new album " I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Kick your Ass"

and don't forget — the bigger they are the harder I fall.

Fredricktoo: Putting the fight back into Basenotes since 2006
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 27th November 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    is 900 a true cologne (lasts ½ an hour or less on me except for Helmut Lang's) or is EDT strength longevity?

Prices being what they are I'm starting to look more for longevety than "where the hell did it go?"
    Not to worry, fredricktoo, it has excellent staying power. Compared to a lot of my other edt's it is almost a edp!

And though it is nothing special I love the bottle too....or maybe it is just because of childhood memories.

Mic.

What I need to know is how seriously do i have to take the word cologne on the bottle since cologne usually impies less essential oil goodness. And that ain't shit.

And if anyone starts with me may I ask that you look at the title of NJ's own Yo La Tengo's new album " I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Kick your Ass"

First of all, take the cologne designation seriously. On me, an average scent lasts 12 hours and many last 24 hours. Aramis 900 lasts 6 hours on me.

Secondly, I want to apologize to Mic for having his thread used in this manner. Glad that you are bringing it back on track Fredricktoo.

Lastly, your comments put a smile on my face. Have a great day!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just read Mic's comments - goes to show that everybody's skin is different and that it is an important difference!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th November 2007 at 04:18 PM.

I forgot to add that a currently used colloquialism here in the stares "it's the shit" means it's a very good thing.
    Are you really sure?
    I watch Oprah, Jerry Springer and WWE - and no one says that.
    Renato

P.S. Aramis 900 isn't very long lasting with good strength on me. It's certainly not in the same league as Aramis
    Last edited by Renato; 27th November 2007 at 04:50 PM.

Gentlemen,
    I'm close to closing this thread and have had requests come in to do so. I might still, but I hate to lose a thread that is essentially a praise and good review of a scent. There are great thoughts about a classic scent here and I want all of us and readers yet to discover the thread to be able to talk about it.

Sure, there's always thoughts about the way we talk about scent, the way we write our praise, and the way we rank things, but this time the discussion has spun far out of control. The sophistication of all the members getting angry with each other is very clear here, and I'm sure everyone can use some brain power to both see all things and shrug them off. Selfishly, I sure wish everyone would.

However, further discussion that isn't about Aramis 900, wow, wow, wow, belongs in personal messages and not on this public thread.

Thanks everyone.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Are you really sure?
    I watch Oprah, Jerry Springer and WWE - and no one says that.
    Renato

P.S. Aramis 900 isn't very long lasting with good strength on me. It's certainly not in the same league as Aramis
    I know what you're saying Renato but like all of American television, the shows are scripted to not upset advertisers. As far as advertisers are concerned the word shit is one of the seven words that are taboo.

Talking about incestuous relationships seems to be ok. I must say I don't watch those shows because I find most of the participants including the live audience have IQ's in the room temperature range. Same goes for the show "Judge so & so's"

One of the most highly paid Judges in the states is Judge Judy who makes appeareces on "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"

America's a pisser ain't it?

btw: Aramis 900 is now on my short list of bottle worthy scents. Ebay has bottles for $39.00, Fragrancenet is about 9 dollars more and Perfumebay is 10 dollars more than that at $55.00
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 27th November 2007 at 05:33 PM.

I forgot to add that a currently used colloquialism here in the states "it's the shit" means it's a very good thing.
    Maybe Martha Stewart should get with the times and change her catch phrase to "It's the shit."

/off-topic

This thread has definitely piqued my interest in Aramis 900, though!
    Sniff and let sniff.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Maybe Martha Stewart should get with the times and change her catch phrase to "It's the shit."

/off-topic

This thread has definitely piqued my interest in Aramis 900, though!
    no comment

Have they reformulated Aramis 900 ??

Renz

I like Balenciaga Pour Homme, it's the shit. See? There may have been a similar stab at saying Aramis 900 is the shit. What I need to know is how seriously do i have to take the word cologne on the bottle since cologne usually impies less essential oil goodness. And that ain't shit.

I see what you mean — it is something like "the three stooges go to a semantics convention."

When someone says "Aramis 900 is one of the few men's colognes that's worth a shit", it means, in American idiomatic usage, "Aramis 900 is one of the few men's colognes that's worth anything at all". That is what was meant and that was what was enthusiastically agreed to. It was this that I was complaining about — the suggestion that there is very little else that is worth anything at all. The attempt to backtrack and pretend some other meaning is hilarious. Truly hilarious, guys! Does 'black' mean 'white' too? Please tell me the next time you are going to put this show on the road.

At any rate, one interesting thing has come out of this thread — along with a whole lot of unintersting things — Aromatic Elixir is an EDP strength version of Aramis 900. So Fred, if you don't like 900's strength, just go to the women's counter and get AE.

There are some sick people here — I mean that, of course, in the familiar, modern American idiomatic sense!

Amused as hell

El.

Dependent

I see what you mean — it is something like "the three stooges go to a semantics convention."

When someone says "Aramis 900 is one of the few men's colognes that's worth a shit", it means, in American idiomatic usage, "Aramis 900 is one of the few men's colognes that's worth anything at all". That is what was meant and that was what was enthusiastically agreed to. It was this that I was complaining about — the suggestion that there is very little else that is worth anything at all. The attempt to backtrack and pretend some other meaning is hilarious. Truly hilarious, guys! Does 'black' mean 'white' too? Please tell me the next time you are going to put this show on the road.

At any rate, one interesting thing has come out of this thread — along with a whole lot of unintersting things — Aromatic Elixir is an EDP strength version of Aramis 900. So Fred, if you don't like 900's strength, just go to the women's counter and get AE.

There are some sick people here — I mean that, of course, in the familiar, modern American idiomatic sense!

Amused as hell

El.
    Eluard,

I don't need you to tell me how to read a sentence. You behavior on this is like that of an impudent 14 year old.

Meanwhile I put your vexatious ass on ignore. We already had a moderator on this threaten to close the thread. And believe it or not, because you are fighting about a sentence. You have got to get out of the house sometimes.

I support this board and I don't need any more of your "look at me I'm saucier than everyone else" bullshit. People are going to leave. I'm sorry you can't get laid here, but take a walk. Buy a dog. anything!!!

I'm beginning to think that you're aping the behavior of whoever brought you up.

lock this crap
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 27th November 2007 at 11:45 PM.

And this is what I get for being nice to you!

Lesson learned.

Dependent

First of all, take the cologne designation seriously. On me, an average scent lasts 12 hours and many last 24 hours. Aramis 900 lasts 6 hours on me.

Secondly, I want to apologize to Mic for having his thread used in this manner. Glad that you are bringing it back on track Fredricktoo.

Lastly, your comments put a smile on my face. Have a great day!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just read Mic's comments - goes to show that everybody's skin is different and that it is an important difference!
    Thanks man ^5

excellent dog in the avatar