Code of Conduct

Thread: Pulling it off

Default Pulling it off

What does it really mean to not be able to "pull off" a scent? How do you know that you are not being able to pull it off? I kind of understand it theoretically, but I cannot visualise how does it apply to perfumes.

Default Re: Pulling it off

Pulling a scent off means that you're able to make it work for you, say if for example the fragrance is a womens one, and you're a guy. I think that's what you're asking.

good question.
    For me it means being comfortable wearing the scent. You may find that certain scents complement your personal style, type of dress, your environment, etc.
    Sometimes, I will wear a scent that may be described as "formal" in with very casual setting/dress - and I feel I can "pull it off." I think the scent fits perfectly!
    hth
    Mark

Agree.

Thanks for your replies so far.

I understand that if you can pull a scent of, it will work for you and therefore you will feel comfortable with.
    However some people imply that you have to have certain personality and attitude to be "able to pull a scent off". I have seen those comments applied to AdP, Givenchy gentelmant, Egoiste and others. I also understand on certain people, some edts smell better than in others. But still, that seems to be biological, not a trait of personality.

How can a scent clash with a setting, or a personality? I do not know, I am still confused I guess. hehehe, I think i will need to use M7 with a pair of shorts and see how I feel.

Why Irish, pulling off a scent definitely has some personality to it.

Picture me all decked out in my long gold Ralph Lauren Black Label formal gown. The front has a split that almost goes to my split...if you know what I mean. The back of my dress is cut so low it has you standing on your tip toes trying to see if you can see any farther. I have on my diamond Tiffany set, ring, bracelet and necklace. My hair is fierce and will have you asking me if I got indian in my family. My purse and shoes are Gucci. Honey, I got a strut that will have you rockin back in forth in place trying to keep the beat with my stroll.

Now, how would I look sashayin up in there as good as I look with some Victoria Secret Love Spell on.

You see, not only does the scent have to mix with your body chemistry, but it has to mix with you. How you gonna have on something hot, spicy and daring and be over there sitting in the corner by yourself looking lonely. A scent of that magnitude needs to be spread around. My VS Love Spell is my casual going to the market and local mall type scent. My CC 'X' use to be my 1st date perfume. When they would ask me what I had on, then I would tell them. They would go look it up and be like, "You paid how much for that!" I had to let them know I'm bout mine. I ain't sayin I'm a gold digger, but I ain't messin with no.....well you know the rest. When I go out on a date now I wear Alien because I feel sexy, sweet and tasty. It makes me flirty and giggly because the guy is always smelling my neck when I wear it. So, I pretend it tickles..tee hee.

So you see. Scents do go with your personality. It can also bring out that inner fabulous in you. I love perfume. A good scent always brings out the best in me.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I think pulling something off has to do with whether it suits your personality, your mood, and your surroundings.

Blog Entries

Great post, Diva
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Great post, Diva
    Thanks CJ. I make my own self giggle sometimes. If only y'all could see me when I think I'm cute ROFL!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

Good to read about the stereotype perfume user.
    Gucci hand bags, diamond Tiffany sets and so on.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that.

But I "revolt" against this monopoly.
    My clothing is no expensive designer stuff.
    My face doesn't have make up.
    I am a normal not extravagant guy, also not rich.
    Still, don't be surprised if you catch a smell of Rive Gauche or Terre d'Hermes comming from me...

1. Your own judgement
    Fine, but you might also think fanny packs and crocs look hot.
    2. Others' judgement
    Based on reactions / compliments, or lack thereof.

....in my best June Cleaver voice

Would you look at him with his cute self? Come on over here off that soap box baby and sit next to Mama.

Look at him with his cute little social commentating self. Come sit next to Mama.

You see Irish asked a question about what it meant to pull off a fragrance, not a social commentary on the haves and have nots. And what I did was give him a scenaaaaario. Say it with Mama.....scenaaaaario. That's right. You see Mama doesn't own any of those things. Well maybe the Gucci bag and shoes, but that's beside the point....I think. Anyway, I was just painting a picture so that Irish could understand what it meant to pull off a scent. It was an extreme example to some, but you got the point right. And that's what's important. Thank you for revolting against names brands and what they represent and then throwing out there that you wear name brand frags. You're so cute I bet you'll be President when you grow up. Now put your soap box away and go wash your hands for dinner. He is the cutest thing ain't he. Uhm hmm he's gonna make a fine President one day.

Diva is back..........

Flips hair and takes a seat and crosses her legs....

When I got up today I was in my apartment because the rent has been paid. I got up and turned on the light because my electric bill has been paid. I ran the water to brush my teeth because my water bill has been paid. I called my Mommy and Daddy and told them I love them because my phone bill has been paid. I cut on the TV and my computer because my cable bill has been paid. I get in my car and drive off because the car is being paid for along with the gas. I go to school because it's paid for. I then go to work to get the money to take care of all the things I NEED.

So, whether I go to Target or Gucci to get my next purse or anything else that I WANT, it's gonna be OK cause my needs have been met. To each his own Honey. You do you and I do Fabulous OK. OK.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled posting about PERFUME AND OTHER THINGS THAT SMELL GOOD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Good to read about the stereotype perfume user.
    Gucci hand bags, diamond Tiffany sets and so on.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that.

But I "revolt" against this monopoly.
    My clothing is no expensive designer stuff.
    My face doesn't have make up.
    I am a normal not extravagant guy, also not rich.
    Still, don't be surprised if you catch a smell of Rive Gauche or Terre d'Hermes comming from me...
    Last edited by Divatologist; 29th November 2007 at 12:00 AM.

You go, girl!

I think that "pulling off" a scent is pretty much the same as "pulling off" an outfit; it is just manifested as a different sense (smell vs. vision.)

I think a lot of it is just confidence, or "swagger."

If you are a guy in an office, and you feel confident and strong wearing a woman's sexy evening perfume to work, you may offend some people, but those who appreciate what you are doing may well be in awe of you.

Part of pulling off something audacious is offending people with limited views of how things "should" be; consider the source and take it as a success.

And if it's not audacious, what is there to pull off?
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    ....in my best June Cleaver voice

Would you look at him with his cute self? Come on over here off that soap box baby and sit next to Mama.

Look at him with his cute little social commentating self. Come sit next to Mama.

You see Irish asked a question about what it meant to pull off a fragrance, not a social commentary on the haves and have nots. And what I did was give him a scenaaaaario. Say it with Mama.....scenaaaaario. That's right. You see Mama doesn't own any of those things. Well maybe the Gucci bag and shoes, but that's beside the point....I think. Anyway, I was just painting a picture so that Irish could understand what it meant to pull off a scent. It was an extreme example to some, but you got the point right. And that's what's important. Thank you for revolting against names brands and what they represent and then throwing out there that you wear name brand frags. You're so cute I bet you'll be President when you grow up. Now put your soap box away and go wash your hands for dinner. He is the cutest thing ain't he. Uhm hmm he's gonna make a fine President one day.

Diva is back..........

Flips hair and takes a seat and crosses her legs....

When I got up today I was in my apartment because the rent has been paid. I got up and turned on the light because my electric bill has been paid. I ran the water to brush my teeth because my water bill has been paid. I called my Mommy and Daddy and told them I love them because my phone bill has been paid. I cut on the TV and my computer because my cable bill has been paid. I get in my car and drive off because the car is being paid for along with the gas. I go to school because it's paid for. I then go to work to get the money to take care of all the things I NEED.

So, whether I go to Target or Gucci to get my next purse or anything else that I WANT, it's gonna be OK cause my needs have been met. To each his own Honey. You do you and I do Fabulous OK. OK.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled posting about PERFUME AND OTHER THINGS THAT SMELL GOOD!!!!
    What a fun post Diva! :wave:

Woo! At least when Diva kicks up a stink, it smells good

I'm just having a little fun that's all....tee hee

For me, it just comes down to my own comfort level and a little input from others.

Say I'm trying a new scent, and it gets past the top notes to the heart and I think "oh sh*t, this is waaaay to floral" or powdery or whatever. Maybe one of the guys I turn wrenches with tells me "hey, Russ, someone turned in a makeup bag at the office. You should go see if it's yours." Either one of these would let me know I'm not really pulling this frag off.

In the end though, I still wear what makes me happy.

If I feel I need to pull up my collar or pull down my cuffs to reduce the sillage, then I'm not pulling it off.

I second Russ - it's about comfort. If you're happy and comfortable in what you're wearing, you're pulling it off, no matter how it fits into the stereotypes.

I cheerfully wear sillage monsters and full-blown orientals to the supermarket and don't give a fig. But if I'm getting on a plane or in a train, I tone things down. I rarely wear anything other than jeans and jumpers, so it's not a wardrobe issue for me, more a personal space thing.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

So Pulling it of is about:
    a) Living up to a stereotype. (Male using femal scents)
    b) MAke you and your perfume have certain attitude.
    c) My own personal Comfort.
    b.1) Being able to wear something loud and be ready to be the center of scent-ation.
    b.2) What other people think of me and my scent.

I originally asked this because some people think I can "pull" tea roses of and some do not. It is too loud and femenine I guess... but I do not care much.
    Last edited by irish; 10th December 2007 at 02:20 AM.

OMG DIVA, ROLF!!!!
    Great Posts!

Yes, I think it's all about being convincing. Both to yourself and others. I'd love to be able to pull off wearing Opium, but deep down inside, I don't believe I'm sophisticated enough for it. Maybe I just need to try, and one day, when I'm all growed up, I'll be able to wear it and convince everyone I haven't been raiding mummy's dressing table.

PS: I'm 48.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    Yes, I think it's all about being convincing. Both to yourself and others. I'd love to be able to pull off wearing Opium, but deep down inside, I don't believe I'm sophisticated enough for it. Maybe I just need to try, and one day, when I'm all growed up, I'll be able to wear it and convince everyone I haven't been raiding mummy's dressing table.

PS: I'm 48.
    You can do it, Clemmie! Now is the time!