Code of Conduct

Thread: Leathers?

Question Leathers?

Lately I've become more and more into experimenting with perfume groups.One of the subgroups that I haven't got any point of refernce to are Leathers.I've tested Cuir de Russie by Chanel and really loved the dryness of it,but also the incency and warmth in it.From my scents I sometimes get the same notes in Nu edp(to a certain degree),Shalimar and in the opening of Chergui.Am I totally on the wrong track here? What other scents in the leather family is a must try?
    Last edited by ineespenes; 25th November 2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typing

Default Re: Leathers?

Must-try - Cabochard (vintage preferably). Cuir Mauresque by Lutens...Bandit by Piguet...and Tabac Blond.

Off-Scenter

Also:

Bvlgari Black
    Eau d'Hermes
    Dzing!
    Cuir Ottoman
    Daim Blond

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Knize Ten
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Derby
    MPG Parfum d'Habit
    Aramis 900
    Aramis Devin
    Antonio Puig Quorum
    Bulgari Black
    Chanel Antaeus
    Ralph Lauren Polo (green)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Tabac Blond by Caron
    Knize Ten by Knize
    Bandit by Robert Piguet

Cuir Mauresque by Lutens

Isn't it strange, I've been attracted by the mysterious world of leather too and I've tried a few over the last few months. (In general, I like them a lot.) But I've been amazed to see some of the names in these lists. I've been taking notes but often saying 'THAT's a leather?'. I'm obviously going to have to do a lot of sniffing.

The only one I'd add to these is Creed's Royal English Leather. Though I obviously am severely undereducated in the ways of the tanned hide, it seems to me to be the quintessence of leather. And it's very polite.

I've seen Jolie Madame mentioned as having a leathery bottom (ooh!) which makes her sound rather tempting...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Institution

I asked a similar question on the mens boards a while ago - read about it here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196879
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

When I think "incensey warmth" the very first leather fragrance I think of is:

Knize Ten

However, there are many other nice leathers out there. Here are some ones I've liked:

Dzing! by L'Artisan: a realistic, almost dirty leather sweetened by a stronger cotton candy note.

Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale: A spicy, resinous leather cooled and rounded by an earthy iris.

Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley: A very mellow leather, opening with mimosa and violet and fading to a more solidly leather base.

Tabac Blond by Caron: Rich, luxuriant take on leather, strongly oriental and resinous with vanilla becoming prominent in the dry-down.

And let's not forget Habanita.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

I would second Creed's Royal English Leather. A magnificent and opulent fragrance featuring a very ripe citrus opening, a milky jasmine heart, and a beautiful and well-oiled leather base. I would argue the greatest longevity of the Creed scents that I have tried. Certainly a must smell for leather fans, and a must have for those with a throne, scepter, colonies, navy, etc.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 28th November 2007 at 03:06 AM.

Another reference to get you into too much trouble.
    Perfume-smellin'things has an exhaustive list of leather notes.

Here's a link to A-H, more on her sidebar:
    http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...tory-to-h.html
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Bvlgari Black
    Grès Cabochard (vintage extrait)
    Caron Tabac Blond extrait
    Caron Yatagan
    Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Cuir de Russie extrait
    Guerlain Derby
    Guerlain Habit Rouge (vintage EDT)
    Hermès Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande
    Knize Ten
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit
    Robert Piguet Bandit EDP
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    Serge Lutens Daim Blond

-------------------------

edit: just realized these recs were supposed to be for a female, so i've deleted many from the list
    Last edited by pluran; 29th November 2007 at 02:00 PM.

As a follow-up to this, I went into a very good perfumerie on Monday and got to smell some lovely things. Since I was going shopping I had just a dab of Daim Blond on my neck (soft suede and apricots) then I tested Dzing! on one wrist and Tabac Blond extrait on the other.

Apart from being totally blissed out by it all, I was really interested to see how the different leathers developed and how they were similar and how different. Dzing! gave me no cotton candy, rather it was circus circus - hay and fur and big cats and hot horses and saddles and a little tiny bit of 'horseapples' (I quite like the smell in small enough doses) - very nice and very animalic and very different from anything you'd usually smell at a perfume counter in a department store. I think a man who smelled of this would be pretty near to irresistible. But I'd wear it too. Just not to church.

As for the Tabac Blond extrait - that was heavenly. Spicy, warm, enveloping, elegant.

What I found particularly interesting was that if I hadn't know the back-stories I wouldn't have been able to label them 'leather'. I would have called DB a gourmand, TB an oriental and I don't know what I'd have called Dzing! apart from animalic, though that's the one I found had the strongest smell of 'leathery leather' (saddles).

This is definitely one that will keep me fascinated for a while.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

One more -- Cuiron