Code of Conduct

Default Do men's noses get less sensitive with age?

I just read this somewhere and being 56 it was not good news. I'm hoping someone with more experience can clarify this.

Default Re: Do men's noses get less sensitive with age?

The sense of smell and taste tends to fade with age no matter what gender. But staying healthy will do a lot to combat this. Eat real food, do deep breathing, lots of vegetables and "green food". The more raw food I eat, the keener my sense of smell. I notice a huge difference in how I smell things depending on what my diets been like, and I'm only 21.

I know people in their 80's who can barely taste or smell anything, and other people the same age who can smell things from miles away. The former are almost crippled, but the latter have kept themselves in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I'm only 21.

I know people in their 80's who can barely taste or smell anything, and other people the same age who can smell things from miles away. The former are almost crippled, but the latter have kept themselves in good shape.
    I was in such good shape when i was 21 that I could do 13 things at once and got by on 3 hours sleep per night just like the great US inventor Thomas Edison (lightbulb). Edison thought sleep was a waste of time. What I'm getting at is that great health is a luxury that not everyone can afford or is blessed with. There are plenty of cripples who had no choice about their condition.

Just one example: My father used to boast in a very good fashioned way about never getting sick or having a cavity. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at the age of 60 and died 9 yrs later. His sense of taste was excellent because he enjoyed his shnapps right till the end.

Getting back to smell. I asked specifically about men because women are a lot different than men. Their flexibility into middle age fascinates me and I find quite appealing. I hope they don't always notice how I smell because I have been known to get a bit gamey now and then.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 26th November 2007 at 06:54 PM.

Decades ago there was a big smell-survey carried out by the National Geographic magazine. As far as I can remember, among the conclusions there was that the ability to smell 'correctly' is getting worse by age. There is one thing I can remember very vividly: of the six samples they sent to the readers, without the correct description of the smell, one was that of the famous propan-butan gas smell. And a very high percent of the elderly people found it not offensive. Which was a clear indicaton of why a relatively high number of old people would die when there is a gas-leakage.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I was in such good shape when i was 21 that I could do 13 things at once and got by on 3 hours sleep per night just like the great US inventor Thomas Edison (lightbulb). Edison thought sleep was a waste of time. What I'm getting at is that great health is a luxury that not everyone can afford or is blessed with. There are plenty of cripples who had no choice about their condition.

Just one example: My father used to boast in a very good fashioned way about never getting sick or having a cavity. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at the age of 60 and died 9 yrs later. His sense of taste was excellent because he enjoyed his shnapps right till the end.

Getting back to smell. I asked specifically about men because women are a lot different than men. Their flexibility into middle age fascinates me and I find quite appealing. I hope they don't always notice how I smell because I have been known to get a bit gamey now and then.
    I didn't mean crippled literally, that was a bad choice of words on my part. I mean that they have not exercised in years, eat steaks and mashed potatoes at every meal (with a huge dessert after every meal), and generally don't take care of themselves (and haven't for many years). And now their senses are deadened. Contrast that with the active and healthy elders I know who have full sensory ability.

I don't mean people who have degenerative diseases, but people in a poor state of health due to inactivity and negligence.

But 60 is pretty young, so it makes sense that your father would still have had a good sense of taste. I mean more like the 75+ age bracket. I believe that's generally when habits throughout life start to take the most toll.

I do know that it's more common for woman to lose their sense of taste and smell with age, and for men they tend to lose their hearing.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 27th November 2007 at 12:41 AM.