Code of Conduct

Default Colonial Drug - great find! - no website - but they ship nationwide in the USA

I just had the most amazing experience with Colonial Drug located in Cambridge, Mass.

They don't have a catalogue. They don't have a website. They don't accept credit cards.

They are very old fashioned and absolutely wonderful people to deal with.

I am posting this here because they ship nationwide (they have already been discussed by others in the Boston thread).

I had been looking to replace my Knize Ten and Colonial's name came up in a Google search.

Joe answered the phone, went onto the floor to check stock, verified that it was exactly what I wanted (it was being sold at a very competitive price) and shipped it to me!

I asked Joe to send along a catalogue. He said that they did not have anything like that, but if I was interested in anything, just to call and enquire.

Their business card reads "The people with absolutely no common scents!" and "The store that's like a European perfume shop! Over 1000 hard-to-find fragrances"

Hopefully, some of our friends in the area will give us a better idea of what lines they carry and whether my enthusiasm is well placed!

Colonial Drug's phone numbers are: voice (617) 864-2222 and fax (617) 864-2223.

Joseph Botindari is the gentleman who assisted me.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th November 2007 at 08:45 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: Colonial Drug - no website - but they ship nationwide in the USA

I live just a couple blocks from Colonial Drug, and have been there many times (I actually just barely missed making the acquaintance of a visiting Australian Basenoter there one day last year). Definitely a good place to find hidden treasures, but it's quite disorganized. Also, be forewarned that much of their stock sits on the shelves for years. I bought off juice there once (got a refund though), so ask a lot of questions before ordering. Prices can also be quite dear; rumor has it the proprietor (her name escapes me at the moment) literally travels to Europe and brings merchandise home in her luggage, a pretty cost- and labor-intensive way of stocking the shelves.

Nonetheless, if you are trying to track something down and just can't find it anywhere (especially feminine Creeds it seems), it's certainly worth a phone-call.
    Last edited by Joel_Cairo; 27th November 2007 at 05:54 AM.

Default Re: Colonial Drug - great find! - no website - but they ship nationwide in the USA

My second amazing experience!

I have been looking for Tabac Blond in the U.S. without much success.

I called Colonial yesterday. They had it in stock at a competitive price.

Joe was out, but Kathy and David took very good care of me.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: Colonial Drug - great find! - no website - but they ship nationwide in the USA

I'm not going to shop with a place that doesn't have a website or take credit cards, they are our protection if we get ripped off or sold inferior merchandise by a merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I'm not going to shop with a place that doesn't have a website or take credit cards, they are our protection if we get ripped off or sold inferior merchandise by a merchant.
    BR, I understand what you are saying because initially that was my concern as well.

All I can say here is that they have overcome that concern in their typical old fashioned manner.

I will let them provide the details on how they accomplish that, but I wouldn't hesitate to call and talk with them!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 2nd December 2007 at 02:01 AM.

I'm not knocking them, I don't shop like that long distance no matter who it is, that's all. I was just commenting, didn't mean to make a big issue of it. I have plenty of good places to shop online, I don't really care. Have fun.
    Last edited by beachroses; 2nd December 2007 at 03:24 AM.

I'm definitely intrigued by this place now.
    Last edited by atrac; 9th December 2007 at 05:59 AM.