Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Here, looking for help and ideas.

Hell All:

I'm new here (obviously), 23 year old guy...although i feel like 33; wanting to get on with some sophistication with my life. Along with that I'd like to get to smellin' better...or do I mean more sophisticated and unique? I used to wear Very Sexy..girls loved it, even I did. I wear Subtil pour homme right now..it's decent...very normal and good smelling, but you don't have to think about it when you sniff.

Now, onto the meat of the problem. I recently went through a post and requested samples from Trumpers, Truefitt and Hill, and Ormonde, and got all my samples. Right now I'm wearing Trafalgar by T&F. Smells great. My problem is, I don't know how to tell it from something I can get at Nordstrom for $40 less. So that's my question: what distinguishes a frag amongst its peers of like-smelling waters besides price and longevity? I realize I can buy "Joe's Water" (Acqua di Gio), or I could buy 1805 by T&F, smell the same, but be able to tell someone I'm wearing something they've never heard of. So help me out here guys...what's a man to do?

Default Re: New Here, looking for help and ideas.

wear what you like and makes you feel happy and comfortable. Don't care about price, telling people etc etc.... just trust your nose, and sample, sample, sample.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: New Here, looking for help and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    wear what you like and makes you feel happy and comfortable. Don't care about price, telling people etc etc.... just trust your nose, and sample, sample, sample.
    Ditto.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I must agree with the above advice - perhaps the samples you got are not all to your liking. That's OK and that probably won't be the first time. I've bought and been given tons of samples for fragrances that many here on Basenotes lovelovelove and I thought they were not good smelling to me. So, you know what I did? I sampled others. Inevitably, I found many more that I lovelovelove. You will too.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexChesbro View Post
    So that's my question: what distinguishes a frag amongst its peers of like-smelling waters besides price and longevity?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexChesbro View Post
    So help me out here guys...what's a man to do?
    Smell everything you can get your hands on, and your own nose will give you the answers to these questions. Really, you can't depend on anything but your own nose.