Code of Conduct

Default A cologne for my dad

I was thinking about getting my dad some cologne for Christmas but I'm not sure what to get him. I know he wears cologne but it is just whatever my mom buys for him. He also only really wears cologne to work (maybe out to a dinner party but that isn't very often).

About my dad: He is 48 and is a CFO of a hospital (aka. when the head guy leaves in a few years my dad will be top dog). He is in an office setting most of the day and doesn't really go into the 'medical' part of the hospital. He is a pretty quiet guy but he is also interacts with a lot of people because he is so high up in the company.

I just don't know what scent would work best for him.

Default Re: A cologne for my dad

There are many that would be appropriate but my first thought was Tiffany for Men.

Widely acclaimed but not very common. It was created for Tiffany in 1989 by Chanel's nose, Jacques Polge.

Box is very nice, too!

Check the reviews and search the discussion threads for yourself.

Welcome to Basenotes!

(BTW, did you just sell a Knize Ten on eBay? Great juice!)
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th November 2007 at 03:49 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

What about going wiht a good classy classic like Acqua di parma Colonia (or the stronger assoluta) or maybe Guerlain Vetiver?

You might want ot take a peak at what he wheres. Then see if there are other colognes that smell like that at any Dept. Stores.You can't go wrong there.

Two I'll mention are Terre D'Hermes and Boucheron Pour Homme.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

M7 , Dior Homme , or Caron Pour Un Homme are some relatively inexpensive designer scents that I have rated a '4' or a '5' in my wardrobe. Bet he'd like one of them!

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

In such a case anything might work: Burberry London, Givenchy Xerius or Monsieur, Gucci PH, Guerlain L'Instant, or anything else really. Something from Armani would be safe.

I agree with the previous poster: check what he already has and get something similar or in that vain. Does he have mostly new or older school frags, sweet or woody?

I'd suggest Divine's L'Homme Sage. The name sounds like you are saying he is a wise man! The fragrance is fantastic and is likely to appeal to a working professional like you describe. Also recommended are any of the Hermes line - they are quiet but distinctive types of fragrances and its really hard to fault a Hermes gift - ever. I recommend one of the Hermessence series such as Poivre Samarcande or Vetiver Tonka. If he could handle a warm gentle leather scent - Equipage from Hermes would be nice too.

Try Salvatore Ferragamo -Subtil Pour Homme

So what's he like? We need to know more about him than his job.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Dior Homme would be a great choice, depending on what he likes.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

If he's a shirt and tie guy, try Bulgari Pour Homme (the original, not the Extreme or the Sior). It would also be appropriate if and when he does venture in the wings of the hospital, as it stays close to the skin.
    Current Wardrobe: Terre d'Hermes (duh), Guerlain Vetiver, Bvlgari Aqua, Bvlgari Pour Homme, Mugler Cologne, Rochas Man, Green Irish Tweed

Lancome Hypnôse is a good choice I must say.
    I probably second Terre D'hermes.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

I agree with Live Jazz, we need to know if he's into sports, books, whether you would intuit that he's a citrus or woodsy kind of man, etc...

That being said of course, since I'm in the same range, I'd say YSL Rive Gauche or Truefitt & Hill Grafton or Trumper's Spanish Leather, or even Trumpers Sandalwood or finally Penhaligon's Lords/Duoro all would probably be a hit and would win you some kudos.

Terre d Hermes - probably my top choice, ditto ditto ditto

Platinum Egoiste - applied lightly

Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme

Tommy Bahama - let me explain, lol - i was originally going to say Gucci PH or CDG2Man, but i thought it might be slightly too austere. Tommy Bahama is more aromatic and easier to understand, but it still retains a very woody masculine feel.