Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos OR Terre d'Hermes

Hello.

I'm after a new fragrance and have came down to John Varvatos and Terre d'Hermes.

Varvatos is blind to me, I'm basing the decision on the amazing reviews it has received and the notes suggest that I will like it very much, whereas I sampled Terre d'Hermes at the weekend and was completely wowed with it, loved it.

Both are the same price but I am only looking at buying one for now and will be looking to order later on this evening. Can anyone help me make a decision? Is Varvatos a safe blind buy? How does Terre act in this winter weather? I'm in the UK so it's extremely cold right now!

It's a shame its came down to only being able to pick one for now, but I will eventually get the other, it just wont be until early next year!

Feel free to take a look at my wardrobe if that will help.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Joel.
    Last edited by JoelJoel; 27th November 2007 at 06:35 PM.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: John Varvatos OR Terre d'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by JoelJoel View Post
    Hello.

I'm after a new fragrance and have came down to John Varvatos and Terre d'Hermes.

Varvatos is blind to me, I'm basing the decision on the amazing reviews it has received and the notes suggest that I will like it very much, whereas I sampled Terre d'Hermes at the weekend and was completely wowed with it, loved it.

Both are the same price but I am only looking at buying one for now and will be looking to order later on this evening. Can anyone help me make a decision? Is Varvatos a safe blind buy? How does Terre act in this winter weather? I'm in the UK so it's extremely cold right now!

It's a shame its came down to only being able to pick one for now, but I will eventually get the other, it just wont be until early next year!

Feel free to take a look at my wardrobe if that will help.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Joel.
    I don't recall reading any glowing reviews but we have reviews of almost everything. Try the search feature.

If it's as cold as you say then Terre d'Hermes would be a real boost to the depressing weather and shorter days. It's got grapefuit and other citruses which will take you to Florida for a bit or two. It's also on an awful lot of folks top ten lists and it's one of my top five.

Have patience and wear what you have. You never know what tommorow will bring.

I don't recall seeing the JV on any lists.

hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

If you like TdH, then I would suggest TdH. John Varvatos is a good scent, but I wouldn't consider buying it blind, considering that you already know you like TdH
    Last edited by tfaust; 27th November 2007 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the Terre since you know how it smells and you liked it. Varvatos reminds me of Burberry London, I think it would be a safe buy BUT why not buy a small 7 ml bottle available on Ebay or other to see if you like it first?
    Last edited by Mattybumpkin; 27th November 2007 at 08:02 PM.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Current Rotation: Terre D'Hermes, Boucheron PH, Villoresi Uomo, Green Irish Tweed, Chanel PMC, Gucci PH, Floris Santal, Carven Homme, Dunhill '34, PI by Givenchy, Parfums de Nicolai New York

Post Thanks / Like

I love Terre d'Hermes, but I wore it in cooler weather last week and it was not as nice. I like it better in warm settings.

Personally, I believe JV is better for the cool months ahead.

If versatility is a factor, go for the Terre. Can be worn in the office, during the day, at night, whatever. Varvatos, to me, only works as an evening scent. Quite frankly, I get a lot more use out of Terre.

Post Thanks / Like

Since u only tested Terre d'Hermes, and u loved it, u should go for it.

But IMO, i tested both and i like JV much better (i dont like Terre d'Hermes at all).

=)

i dont think you can really compare the two -

TdH has a certain transparent, softness to it that really comes alive on skin and is individual to the wearer. i agree it does seem to come alive more in the warmer months, but if you apply it to the skin as opposed to clothing it still warms up and doesn't leave you with that dry, mineral like beginning it starts out with. its a light scent, not too serious scent that has smelled different on every person i've smelled it on - in a good way of course.

i think John Varvatos is more traditional in the sense that it is very 'what you see is what you get' - to me, it's more linear and doesn't 'adapt to the wearer' - its wonderful, don't get me wrong, but it has that same sweet oriental feel as polo double black, armani attitude etc but has pronounced better quality. its very evening and 'i have arrived'.

I agree with the observation above, and also with a previous comment the John Varavatos is better for the cold weather. Terre is better for the office, by the way. They are both fantastic - my personal vote is Varvatos I love it - but if you already know you like Terre then maybe that's the right call.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the Varvatos if you want dark, rich, sweet, and mildly smoky.
    Buy the Terre D'Hermes if you want crisp, citrusy, sour, and very smoky.

buy the hermes, because you know you like it. blind buys can seriously suck ass, no matter what other people think about a scent.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Post Thanks / Like

My advice would be to go with the Terre d'Hermes.
    a. You know you like it and blind buys are risky.
    b. Even though JV might be more of a winter scent, TdH is more year round and more all purpose.
    c. TdH is IMHO an instant classic and quite unique. JV is nice, but not nearly as distinctive. (I kind of like Burberry London better.) OR...
    d.Disregard all of the above and do your best to sample the JV before buying anything.

. . . also if you like TdH that much you should also check out the other jean claude ellena offerings under hermes. alot of them, while being different from each other, stiff retain that transparent feel that is seems to be signature of his latest work.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you had smelled both and you were tossing up between them coz they both wowed you I'd vote JV - I love the sweetness. But considering you don't know how it smells but you were wowed by TdH go for TdH! It is also a nice scent. Tell us what you choose

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes to John Varvatos ... I haven't tried the Hermes, but I have JV and i'm completely in love with it.... it's a great one to wear in the cold.

It's my SOTD too, btw.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in London wearing the Terre d'Hermes today and all i can add is a couple of sprays and you'll be smelling warm citrus all day long. It's a lovely fragrance for a cold day.

Post Thanks / Like

Personaly I like them both. But I recommend you buying Terre, because you know it!
    Specially as you said, you like it and want to buy ONE of them!