Code of Conduct

Unhappy Tuberose = Rubber ??

I'm dying on the inside today (and not in a good way) ....all from the most amazing present ever.
    I've been lusting after the recent Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia ever since I tried it at Harrods last month. It was love at first spray.

White florals have been a growing love of mine, from Marc Jacobs to FM's Carnal Flower to Fracas parfum (but not the EdP which is too strong and cloying for me). I'm also eagerly waiting for samples of SL Tuberose Criminelle and Sarrasins to arrive to test.

EL PC Tuberose Gardenia was the crowning jewel in my collection and last week I was gifted with a bottle of it, 30ml of the parfum no less. A generous and precious gift indeed. But I've been testing it for a week and the fragrance has cruelly turned on me to become RUBBER!!! Not a sexy rubber, like in Bulgari Black but like cheap rubber bands and hosepipes. It's creeping me out and making my skin crawl.
    The spray I tested in Harrods was the Eau de Parfum and this must be the difference. I'm heart broken at the moment. I can't exchange it as the box has been opened and used quite a few times. The idea of getting rid of it is too painful as it was a gift.

Does anyone else get this rubber note from EL PC Tuberose Gardenia or other Tuberose scents?
    Last edited by konglishbeauty; 27th November 2007 at 11:48 PM.

Default Re: Tuberose = Rubber ??

Its a common association...embrace the rubber.

I am so sorry, especially because it was a cherished gift. What a wrench!

I'm afraid to say that when tuberoses go bad on me (and they usually do), they come on like a chorus of rubber trombones, load and violently offkey.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Well it's good to hear it's not just me. I googled tuberose and rubber and found out it is a well known and common side effect of Tuberose - now known to me as rubbertube-rose. I've not had this with Carnal Flower or Fracas so just bad luck on me I guess. Someone suggested spraying it into my hair so I shall try that to see if I get a better result.

Quote Originally Posted by ilookflawless View Post
    Well it's good to hear it's not just me. I googled tuberose and rubber and found out it is a well known and common side effect of Tuberose - now known to me as rubbertube-rose. I've not had this with Carnal Flower or Fracas so just bad luck on me I guess. Someone suggested spraying it into my hair so I shall try that to see if I get a better result.
    Ah! That's so funny -- rubbertube-rose! I say the off-note tuberoses make me gag like I do when I have to enter a tire store. That petrolem smell is awful. I think it's either one of two reasons: the person overseeing the extraction process doesn't process it properly, and either leaves too much solvent in, or they "burn" it and still sell the inferior stuff.

I've sampled many tuberose concretes and absolutes over the years. Some suppliers just have that rubbery, junky stuff. Sometimes I detect "dirty ashtray" in it too. I believe some perfumers like that smell. It's in Fracas.

There is nothing more beautiful than a well-made tuberose extract. Clean, clear, night seduction in a bottle....then to blend. Yum!

The perfumers behind the two you cite that don't have the rubber smell probably just sourced non-stinky tuberose.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by ilookflawless View Post
    The spray I tested in Harrods was the Eau de Parfum and this must be the difference. I'm heart broken at the moment. I can't exchange it as the box has been opened and used quite a few times. The idea of getting rid of it is too painful as it was a gift.
    I would return it. Ask to switch for the EdP.
    Last edited by Natural_Juice; 29th November 2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Don't give up on it yet, try some layering first...

Moondeva we need you ASAP!!

cheers.

I grew some tuberose over the summer and when the flowers were in bloom, their fragrance did have a slightly smokey note.

I think I read somewhere different tuberose from different parts of the world have different characteristics. Mine are from Hawaii. So perhaps it depends on where the tuberose used in a fragrance is sourced. Also some perfumers may chose to emphasised the smokey characteristic of the tuberose.

Blog Entries

*POOF*
    Here I am!!

OK, I am not an admitted fan of big white florals but I do like a well blended / balanced tuberose as it has the body and texture to match my larger than life personality.

I have found that I prefer blends which temper the tuberous texture of Tuberose with beauties like Orange Blossom, Incense and / or Spice.

You could try layering your Tuberose blend with:

TBS Neroli Jasmine
    TBS Cinnamon Spice
    Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Jo Malone Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom & Myrrh
    Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant
    Penhaligons Castile
    Serge Lutens Fleurs D'Oranger
    Ava Luxe Orange Flower
    Ava Luxe Neroli Blossom
    Ava Luxe Gardenia Musk

These beauties should disguise and temper that heady distinctive 'rubber' top note, blending in and distracting your nose until the more delightful heart / base notes kick in.

A few favourite tuberose based beauties:

Estee Lauder Knowing
    Estee Lauder Spellbound
    Christian Dior Poison
    Guerlain Mahora
    Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera
    Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle
    Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds
    Gres Cabotine
    Lanvin Arpege
    Remy Latour L'Elue
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *