Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default >>>Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Dec. 1, 2007>>>GOURMAND

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or otherwise, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment. It's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic

(civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere

("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity)
    See previous SnS discussions:
    January 6, 2007 ~ Orientals February 3, 2007 ~ Animalics March 2, 2007 ~ Chypres April 14, 2007 ~ Florals May 4, 2007 ~ Fruity June 2, 2007 ~ Citrus September 1, 2007 ~ Fougere October 6, 2007 ~ Amber November 3, 2007 ~ Spicy
    [For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.]
    Last edited by Quarry; 30th November 2007 at 07:26 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: >>>Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Dec. 2, 2007>>>GOURMAND

Ooh yay I can't wait!! I love gourmands

Blog Entries

Hi Quarry,

This sounds like fun. But - I have still not gotten used to these new categories for scents...I am very confused about what is or isn't a "gourmand" .
    I have lots of frags that have vanilla...quite a few with peach notes - but much of what I have/love seems to be floral, oriental or a combo of the two.

Could someone please take a look at my wardrobe and tell me what is a gourmand there, if any - including tested or to test (where my samples are listed)?
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I am also very uncertain about what scents belong to this group; hopefully you wll get many replies..
    Maybe Sugar by Fresh?
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Blog Entries

Musse - glad it's not just me!

Dunno about the Sugar - it was a gift and is currently being used to scent toilet paper rolls!
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Could someone please take a look at my wardrobe and tell me what is a gourmand there, if any - including tested or to test (where my samples are listed)?
    I'm with Musse, Fresh Sugar would fit nicely with its base notes of vanilla and caramel.

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    I am also very uncertain about what scents belong to this group; hopefully you wll get many replies..
    Maybe Sugar by Fresh?
    From your wardrobe Musse, Gourmandises and Une Bois Vanille contain some gourmand notes.

As for me, I may indulge in Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

The definition given at The Perfumed Court is, "Gourmand: scents with edible or dessert-like qualities. These often contain notes like vanilla and tonka bean, as well as synthetic components designed to resemble food flavors."

DeeOlive, your wardrobe doesn't have a particularly gourmand leaning. Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to "take a hit" off of a tester sometime in the near future and share your experience here.

You can search for foody fragrance notes you prefer: cocoa, gingerbread, caramel, almond, coconut. (My favorite in this category is Chopard Mira Bai's praline candy accord.)

I just did a search for "gourmand" at Lucky Scent, and 21 fragrances popped up.

As with all these categorizations, there's lots of overlap and no clear delineation for many scents.
    Last edited by Quarry; 29th November 2007 at 03:20 AM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I hope my nose is recovered. I have a terrible head cold and have stayed away from work today - I feel awful!

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    Musse, you can also choose Serendipitous from your wardrobe - chocolate, isn't it? Or any of your Maison de la Vanille.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Ack!! I am on a 'Guerlain Week'

Now, the Spiritueuse Double Vanille has not arrived yet so I have to pick something else.

And I don't know what!! Plenty of vanilla in the Guerlains, but I would not call Shalimar a Gourmand, I think
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Ahhh gourmand. Yeah now we talkin!!!! Sweet scents for my sweet tooth. Now, this is making me want to go out and find a new one. My wardrobe has a few delicious treats, but I want something new.....As If.

As if I needed a reason to buy perfume lol.

Feel better my Coney Island buddy. Having a cold sucks big time.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I'm one of those being slightly confused over gourmands as well....Chergui is an oriental and not a Gourmand,right?But from my wardrobe I think Angel,Lolita Lempicka L,Omnia and Bulgari Black fits the bill...The last two less so?Hmm....Decisions,decisions..

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Musse, you can also choose Serendipitous from your wardrobe - chocolate, isn't it? .....
    Oh GAWD yes....that is one serious yummy, that Serendipitous.

I may just go all out with my fave bedtime combo - Amorito (chocklit) Loukhoum (AL) and Cafe Noir!!!. (I'm not an alcoholic for nothing. If it's worth doing - it's worth overdoing!!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    The definition given at The Perfumed Court is, "Gourmand: scents with edible or dessert-like qualities. These often contain notes like vanilla and tonka bean, as well as synthetic components designed to resemble food flavors."

DeeOlive, your wardrobe doesn't have a particularly gourmand leaning. Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to "take a hit" off of a tester sometime in the near future and share your experience here.

You can search for foody fragrance notes you prefer: cocoa, gingerbread, caramel, almond, coconut. (My favorite in this category is Chopard Mira Bai's praline candy accord.)

I just did a search for "gourmand" at Lucky Scent, and 21 fragrances popped up.

As with all these categorizations, there's lots of overlap and no clear delineation for many scents.
    Thank you Quarry. I did order SL Datura Noir a week ago. It hasn't arrived yet. I see it has coconut, almond and vanilla - will that work? I didn't smell the coconut in the tester, on me - but will be interested to see how it goes with a full wearing.
    Chanakya

Yum! All these suggestions sound fantastic... and delicious!

I think my gourmand choice is going to be a full wearing of Michael Storer's Yvette, which may not qualify as a classic gourmand, but I think has plenty of food-y notes in it (tonka, tarragon, etc.). I fear this is going to be another addition to the wish list...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Now this is something
    I can do .
    Gourmands are my
    favorites.

Pretty base of me?
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Ah! Like Dee OLive I'm struggling a bit to come up with something gourmand that I'll enjoy wearing. I suppose I could go CSP Vanille Coco, but I'd like to stretch a bit.
    I've got samples of Daim Blond, Datura Noir and Yves Rocher Coccon. Which of those fit the bill best?
    (I know I have CSP Amour de Cacao as well but honestly it only lasts about 2 minutes on me. I'll happily put that on first thing but I'll need a go-to if I do that!)
    Go on - boss me around. You know I like it.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Go on - boss me around. You know I like it.
    I'd say your Fig, Almond and Cassis fragrance is gourmand-like.
    Wait ... that's not bossy enough. Er, um [deepening voice and changing tone].

Get your arse on a plane and get to my house!
    I'll douse you in Nuits de Noho, Black Orchid,
    Mira Bai, and Ambre Narguile!

Too forceful?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post
    Now this is something
    I can do .
    Gourmands are my
    favorites.

Pretty base of me?
    Same here, my dear, although I'd change that into orientals with a gourmand touch. However, I also enjoy full-on gourmands.
    Don't worry, our taste is as good as any other sophisticated perfume lover's. We just have different scent preferences! Vive la différence

Ah! Like Dee OLive I'm struggling a bit to come up with something gourmand that I'll enjoy wearing. I suppose I could go CSP Vanille Coco....Go on - boss me around. You know I like it.
    Jeez! And you've got VIWater and Noir Epices and Miami (yum) Glo and all them Occitanes....YOUR problem is which one you gorgeous thing you.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

I think it will be my brand new bottle of Vanilla Grapefruit by Lavanila - this is so sweet and tart my teeth hurt if I over apply it.

It has been a while since I participated in S & S, I feel I lack the vocabulary to describe what I think I am sniffing (read:- I am poor at identifying notes ), but on Saturday it will most likely be my new love Un Bois Vanille. :bounce:
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I think I'm going to try one of my "problematic" gourmand samples: Either L'Artisan Piment Brulant or Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique. I think it will depend on how adventurous I'm truly feeling. Un Crime Exotique has smelled good on me 1 day and scrubber the next. Piment Brulant is a scent that reminds me of Chicken Mole - and smelling like that may be an issue at my nephew's 1st birthday party
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Is someone doing Britney Spears's Fantasy?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    The fragrance or her actual...fantasy?

Oh dear, already late on Thursday! Is it near time to form a circle and invoke the Moondeva? One of her magick lists would be very welcome about now.

Musse, if you can't say what a scent contains, tell us how it feels.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    Oh dear, already late on Thursday! Is it near time to form a circle and invoke the Moondeva? One of her magick lists would be very welcome about now.

Musse, if you can't say what a scent contains, tell us how it feels.
    We need to round up, cause i invoked her over at the Tuberose=Rubber? thread and she hasn't appeared -yet-.

I'm still pondering what to choose for this thread and i also am behind on the Amber and the Spicy S&S!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 30th November 2007 at 12:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: >>>Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Dec. 2, 2007>>>GOURMAND

Hello folks!

'Gourmand' in perfumes to me are scents that feature an 'edible' accord / note / aspect to their character. This does not include perfumes that feature notes like Tarragon, Basil, Rosemary or Sage which fall under the 'herbaceous' genre of perfumery. It also overlaps but does not always include perfumes featuring fruit notes. The key to whether a scent is foody or gourmand is whether the note causes an involuntary salivary response and / or conjures images / associations with food in the minds of those smelling the scent.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=192040&page=2&highlight=gourmand

Personally, I find most mainstream gourmands simplistic and juvenile (probably because they are much preferred by younger (20 and younger) fragrance wearers. The phenomena of grown (30+ ) women preffering these scents is a more modern trend and is most prevalent in the Western hemisphere (mainly the USA).

When I do enjoy a gourmand scent it is usually a sophisticated note such as licorice, coffee, or liqueur rather than the more obvious notes of caramel, chocolate, vanilla and tonka bean. I have found that a foody scent is gourmand but not all gourmands are 'foody'. Gourmands have come a long way since the launch of Thierry Mugler's Angel and there is a gourmand for everyone out there!

My personal 'gourmands':

TBS Altaro
    Boucheron Trouble - smooth almond
    Trussardi Python - wonderful chocolate heart accord
    Caron Farnesiana parfum - dominated by heliotrope but this is a cosy, almost edible almondy delight on me.
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukhoum - official all about almond but this is pure Mr Kiplings Cherry Bakewell on me...
    Serge Lutens Louve - another almond from this house but this time it is the scent of the candied cherry on top of the aforementioned Cherry Bakewell (dessert)
    TBS Amorito - sophisticated but casual jasmine / chocolate dominated blend
    TBS Strawberry
    TBS Fuzzy Peach
    Ava Luxe Milk parfum - pure Nestle Condensed Milk on me. Very comforting.
    Ava Luxe Cafe Noir parfum - truest coffee / coffee cake scent ever!
    Givenchy Organza Indecence - warm, sandalwoody cinnamon dusted vanilla biscuits
    TBS Woody Sandalwood (vintage) - opens like mince pies / winter fruits with a dash of spice before the sandalwood 'emerges'. Latest 'blend' is more fruit / spice than sandalwood.
    Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon - the scent of rich, expensive, balsamic bourbon vanilla essence.
    Christian Dior Miss Dior Cherie - Synthetic strawberries and champagne. Delicate and fun in summer, feminine.
    Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon - warm, sensual chocolate musk (what Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur would be without the powder)
    Badgely Mischka Femme - Berries, patchouli and champagne
    Hermes Ambre Narguile / Joop! Femme - Boozy soft balsamic cinnamon / spice
    Diesel Zero Plus Feminine - Opens as a sweet red berries and cherry milkshake and ends as sexy musk laced with coconut
    Diesel Plus Plus Feminine - alledged to be inspired and built around milk but is more of a warm slightly orangey tinged caramel.
    Diesel Zero Plus Masculine - warm, sandalwoody cinnamon dusted vanilla biscuits
    Dunhill Desire for a Man - warm (sophisticated) toffee apples on a soft musk base
    Police Eyes for You - opens with effervescent pink grapefruit but the main accord is a yummy hazelnut musk
    Yardley Fruit Sensations: Raspberry & Vanilla
    Yardley Fruit Sensations: Strawberry & Kiwi
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice - wonderful gingerbread accord
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere - licorice / anise and a warm yummy vanilla woods base
    Lolita Lempicka 'L'- another gourmand vanilla woods blend laced with licorice / anise
    Thierry Mugler B*Men - coffee & pine
    Thierry Mugler A*Men - caramel and patchouli
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille - licorice laced woody vanilla
    Dunhill Desire for a Woman - yet another licorice / anise laced woody vanilla
    Chopard Casmir - the tonka bean in the base of this can be very temperamental on me. But on a good day - imagine homemade indian rice pudding with nutmeg and slices of pan sauteed peach slices coated in honey...
    Chopard Mira Bai - a fresher, less cloying woodier version of Casmir
    Five Star Fragrance Company Royal Secret II / Royal Secret for Men - wonderful sweet aromatic mulled winter fruits on a woody base. The men's version is drier / less sweet / woodier / spicier than the females.
    Rochas Femme (modern) - not officially a gourmand, but I often find that this has an almost gourmand almond patisserie character to it. Probably due to the peach / plum notes on the sweetened vanilla chypre base.
    L'Artisan Tea 4 Two - the honey & tea notes in this scent dominate on my skin
    Bond No.9 Chinatown - may not be a gourmand for others but there is a distinctive coconut / paper paste accord in this that makes it incredibly foody on me.
    CDG Wood Coffee - not much coffee in this. Like the coffee note in Balmain Balmya and BY D&G Woman (leopard skin bottle) it is mainly in the background providing warm and complexity to the blend. But this background warm coupled with the yummy warm vanilla woods makes this another gourmand winter favourite.
    Boots Natural Collection Black Cherry Musk - smells exactly like it's name implies.
    TBS Almond body products - I know these are not strictly scents but this is a great 'true' almond scent for those who love gourmands. The scent is strong enough to scent without using an EDT. Best to use showergel + body lotion / butter.
    TBS Brazil Nut body products - dark (burnt) vanilla caramel
    TBS Coconut body products - 'true' fresh coconut flesh scent
    TBS Vanilla Spice body products - vanilla and cinnamon / nutmeg cookies
    TBS Cranberry body products - fresh, effervescent, 'juicy' cranberry / red berry scent
    TBS Satsuma body products and perfume oil
    Ava Luxe Forbidden Fruits - pomegranate + fig
    Ava Luxe Wild Black Fig - sophisticated scent but still yummy!
    Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant - ocassionally this can turn into a spice nightmare on me but usually this is a spiced plum pudding delight on me, especially when the vanilla comes into play
    Dinner by Bobo - similar to L'Elephant but the vanilla is more pronounced
    Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis - fresh green figs
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir - sophisticated red berry dominated smoky spiced blend
    Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey - delicate sweet peaches laced with honey
    Jean Louis Scherrer Nuits Indiennes - another heliotrope scent similar to Caron Farnesiana
    Jean Patou Patou For Ever - this is officially a chypre scent but on me it is a sweet pineapple dominated confection
    Parfums de Couer Pineapple Fantasy - similar to Patou For Ever but fresher with a truer pineapple character
    Parfums de Couer Sugar Apple Fantasy - more cotton candy than sugar apple but fun and yummy none the less
    Guerlain Shalimar Eau Legere - pure lemon and vanilla pie
    Givenchy Oblique Rewind - smoky cherry liqueur
    Demeter Tiramisu
    iPdF Ambra del Nepal - this is not a true gourmand but the smoky vanilla amber in this reads as a gourmand scent to me. I think it is the 'texture' of the scent that does it for me.
    iPdF Vaniglia de Madagascar - very pleasant foody vanilla.
    Demeter Dulce de Leche

I do hope that this helps some folks! ::smile::
    Last edited by moondeva; 30th November 2007 at 05:30 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    I do hope that this helps some folks! ::smile::
    Thanks Moondeva! It sure does

Maybe I bought samples of Pink Sugar which always seems to be compared to it so I'm thinking Fantasy on one wrist and Pink Sugar on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

I'd say your Fig, Almond and Cassis fragrance is gourmand-like.
    Wait ... that's not bossy enough. Er, um [deepening voice and changing tone].

Get your arse on a plane and get to my house!
    I'll douse you in Nuits de Noho, Black Orchid,
    Mira Bai, and Ambre Narguile!

Too forceful?
    Tee hee hee!
    Made me grin - does that count?
    Thanks for the help though - tomorrow (Matthew) I shall be Figgy. Hoorah!

(And in case you're going Matthew? I'm Quarry! There's a UK TV show called Stars In Their Eyes in which people sing as their favourite star and just before they go backstage to get transformed they say to the host "Tonight, Matthew, I am going to be Elvis/Cher/Judy Garland/Billy Ray Cyrus")
    Last edited by Wordbird; 30th November 2007 at 10:54 AM.

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Still not quite sure what to wear tomorrow,but think it will be Angel.

.....and excuse me - IT'S ACKSHULLY DECEMBER 1ST!!!

Here is a link to a discussion regarding Chandler Burr's article on gourmands in October's O magazine.

http://fortheloveofperfume.blogspot....-magazine.html

The original article is what inspired my leap into the world of fragrance!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    .....and excuse me - IT'S ACKSHULLY DECEMBER 1ST!!!
    Son of a B*#CH! That's THREE!!! times I've posted the wrong date in SnSs' titles. It's a good day if I even know what year it is. My New Year's resolution: Learn how to use a calendar. (Will somebody remind me when it's New Year's Eve so I'll know when to begin my resolution?) Okay ... going to repair this thread's title now. Thanks, my Lady Tao.
    Last edited by Quarry; 30th November 2007 at 07:26 PM.

Default Re: >>>Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Dec. 1, 2007>>>GOURMAND

Most gourmands, or fragrances that has a food note, are most commonly chocolate or vanilla. However, I consider fruity notes to be in the category as well. Wouldn't you say? Therefore I will wear Daim Blond by SL for its candied fruit and apricot notes. I adore this fragrance. I simply cannot wear vanilla in any shape or form.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Most gourmands, or fragrances that has a food note, are most commonly chocolate or vanilla. However, I consider fruity notes to be in the category as well. Wouldn't you say? Therefore I will wear Daim Blond by SL for its candied fruit and apricot notes. I adore this fragrance. I simply cannot wear vanilla in any shape or form.
    Go ahead and order whatever dessert you crave, Scento. If you can't abide vanilla, no harm. We also have a Sniff 'n' Speak devoted to fruity fragrances in May.

Borneo 1834 for me
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

For gourmand SnS, I chose to wear something new:

Lann-Ael

(Angel Heath in Bréton language) from the French Lostmarc'h line. I am surprised: a delicate comfort scent, only moderately sweet, redolent of immortelle, baked apples in lemon sauce and a cup of hot milk flavoured with vanilla pods.IMO, this is very wearable, and not only for an armchair-plaid-good book session in the midst of the winter.

Oooh that sounds interesting LIB.
    These days are useful because they challenge what we believe about fragrances. I only thought of vanilla and chocolate as gourmand, but this has expanded my terms of reference enormously. I found myself flicking through all my bottles, samples, solids, decants and minis and realised that actually I had a few to choose from.

In the end I went with Tesco's Finest Fig, Almond and Cassis
    This might provoke a few smiles among UK readers and those who know Tesco is a huge supermarket chain.

It's interesting to wear a perfume I think of as for high summer in the winter; it opens up new dimensions to it. It's a fragrance that doesn't change or develop much; a straightforward fig-leaf note is rounded out slightly by a little almond but I get no cassis.

I find it fresh and green but also rich, which I suppose is the nature of fig.

I found some Jo Malone samples and if this calms down or I have a bath later I'll try Pomegranate Noir as my SOTE.

Have a good World Aids Day everyone. x

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Pink Sugar on the left, Fantasy on the right for Gourmand SnS
    .......I may go for this later in the day if and when my current combo of Vanille Abricot ( Coco!!!) and Sex on the Beach (Melon! Pineapple!! Raspberries!!) wears off, which they tell me Demeters do. (I just HAD to get this 'cause of the name and besides StrawberryNet was practically giving it away.) Love the CSP too - it is more vanille than abricot on me and I get powdered sugar too. And I don't care if celebrities wear it - I'm gonna wear it anyway.

I luvluvluv this category. Just couldn't wait to see what all y'all were gonna do. Am scampering off to check out LIB's Lann-Ael and WordBird's Finest Fig (prolly won't have much luck with that - waaaaah!) because the day is young and I may have to go figgy later on.

(And I agree with W-Bird....there's lots of good smellies sitting on the front display racks of chain drugs stores and supermarkets that can hold their own against high end.

Mmm you all smell delicious!
    I had a lot to choose from but as I'm riddles with cold virus, I thought it best to go with something I know Angel in the extrait. The EDP can sometimes smell a bit harsh - not so the extrait, which is much softer. There's more of an amber undertone and a touch of honey, and it lasts far longer, though it sits very close to my skin. If any of you haven't had much luck with the EDP, it's worth checking out the extrait if you can find it.

For today's Gourmand Sniff & Speak, I am reveling in the lovely and supremely unexepected floral-and-woody gourmand (who'd have thought such a thing was possible, but it IS!) Michael Storer Yvette.

Notes: Muget, tarragon, vanilla, white chocolate, oakmoss, ambrette, precious woods.

Starts off almost herbally floral (tarragon and muget right there in your face), making me think, "Gourmand? Not this scent." And then the dessert notes start sneaking in there... Until it gets almost too sweet, before warming down to a luscious blend of vanilla/chocolate/pale floral/wood.

I definitely feel delicious in this.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    (I just HAD to get this 'cause of the name and besides StrawberryNet was practically giving it away.)
    You know you don't have to rationalize anything to this crowd!

Guerlain Angelique Noire
    Now whom do I thank for this half sample in my possession? I believe Musse gets credit/blame for starting a little hankering in my soul. At $6.50 for just a 1ml sample from TPC, I'm challenging the practicality of liking AN, but as I said above, there is no rationalizing, so why try?

AN opens with the unique herbal scent of Angelica (makes me smile extra broadly because this plant is native to Wisconsin; plus, it backs up my theory that I'm partial to herbal frags). The vanilla is ever present, and it contains a real sweetness, but it doesn't go over the top for me (most Guerlains work with my bitter hide). What makes this $200-a-bottle vanilla from Guerlain's L'Art et la Matière collection special is its softness. Just as expensive sheets with a high thread count feel extra silky and quality down pillows feel incredibly cushiony, AN's molecules just slide across the olfactory sensors.

I have no other prominent vanilla frags in my wardrobe. I guess I was just waiting for the right one to come along.

P.S. A shout out to my newest acquaintance and fellow historic-home restorationist, DeeOlive. Hey there, kiddo!
    Last edited by Quarry; 1st December 2007 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Musse - glad it's not just me!

Dunno about the Sugar - it was a gift and is currently being used to scent toilet paper rolls!

LMAO I can think of a couple of frags that deserve that use and placement. One also has Sugar in the name, come to think of it.

And I join the swelling chorus wondering what defines a gourmand. Obviously vanilla alone doesn't qualify or most Guerlains would belong as it's a component of Guerlinade, I believe. Then some Compoir Sud Pacifique Vvanilla scents almost demand being a ingrediant in a cookie batch or cake batter.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Just LOVE the way you take us "right there" Quarry...could feel the silken sheets and downy comfies.....made me want to try AN even though angelica tends to go icky powdery on me.....

...but I got tired of sugary things and went right for my figs after the late morning shower and qui jong. Anthousa Fig and Vetiver and LAP Premier Figuiere. ("Gourmand" is anything I wanna put in my mouth - right??!!) ... yumsters!! Am thinking I'd like something berry-ish but tart to go with this.....any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Hello folks!

'Gourmand' in perfumes to me are scents that feature an 'edible' accord / note / aspect to their character. This does not include perfumes that feature notes like Tarragon, Basil, Rosemary or Sage which fall under the 'herbaceous' genre of perfumery. It also overlaps but does not always include perfumes featuring fruit notes. The key to whether a scent is foody or gourmand is whether the note causes an involuntary salivary response and / or conjures images / associations with food in the minds of those smelling the scent.
    OK - using Moondeva's definition, I've tested the following scents:

L'Artisan Piment Brulant:

Notes (from Luckyscent): Red pepper, soft and creamy chocolate, vanilla, cloves and poppy, hints of musk and amber.

What I'm supposed to think of: Aztec Chocolate (according to Luckyscent).

What I wind up thinking of: Red Bell Pepper morphing to Chicken Mole. I like chicken mole, just not necessarily on me.

Parfumerie General Un Crime Exotique

Notes (from Luckyscent): Chinese osmanthus, gingerbread, tea, cinnamon, star anise, mate absolute, vanilla sugar, South Sea Island sandalwood.

What I'm supposed to think of: Gingerbread (according to Luckyscent).

What I wind up thinking of: Oranges studded with cloves and cinnamon sticks to start. Then it becomes what Mom used to call "russian tea" - Tang, Nestea Instant Tea (in Lemon), and stale pumpkin spices. Sadly - this goes sour on me some days after 30 minutes or so.

Serendipity 3 Serendipitous

Notes (from Luckyscent): Cocoa, Tahitian Vanilla, Blood Orange

What I'm supposed to think of: Chocolate Truffles (possibly laced with Grand Marnier (according to Luckyscent).

What I wind up thinking of: Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows. This scent is very linear and comforting. Maybe not as exotic as chocolate truffles with Grand Marnier, but it works for me.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Love the format in which you've presented those scents, sakecat.
    Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    Then it becomes what Mom used to call "russian tea" - Tang, Nestea Instant Tea (in Lemon), and stale pumpkin spices.
    Kinda frightening how those ingredients really conjure a sensation.

For this Sniiff n' Speak, I chose Yves Saint Laurent's Body Kouros. (Thanks, knightowl!)

First, a bit of history: Body Kouros is notable as the last YSL men's fragrance before Tom Ford took over the design of Yves Saint Laurent ready-to-wear and Chantal Roos (who was responsible for the success of Opium and Paris) returned to YSL Beaute from Beaute Prestige International (where she successfully launched the Jean Paul Gaultier and Issey Miyake brands into the fragrance world).

Now, onto the actual scent: Despite its name, it has nothing in common with its animalic brother. Instead, it has many gournand notes... nutmeg, eucalyptus, cinnamon, and caramel, among others (according to our perfumed friends at Osmoz). The result is similar to another popular men's gourmand, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, but softer and minus the anise note that made the Lolita Lempicka irritating to my nose. The end result is quite delicious.

One final note: One could only wonder if YSL men's fragrances had evolved like this that they would have been more successful... M7 and Rive Gauche Pour Homme were never very popular in the USA, and the YSL brand only re-established its footing in the men's market this past year with the success of the rather ho-hum (but very popular) L'Homme.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Today I am wearing Immortelle l'Amour, by Ayala Moriel , now my favorite gourmand scent, right up there with Aimez Moi by Caron. It is warm and sweet without being too sweet, dark and invigorating like a great cup of espresso with a touch of whipped cream on top for a hint of sweet, again not TOO much sweetness. I also love that the ingredients are natural. This scent is comforting, wearable and gives me a sense of well being.

To top it off a friend of mine went to the Culinary Institute and brought me back some goodies, which I will sample and savor in my Immortelle l'Amour in honor of Gourmand Saturday.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz, Piment et Chocolat for me. We're getting our first major snowstorm today, so this is perfect for staying cozy indoors.

"Top notes: black pepper, paprika, pimento berry (allspice), red chili
    Heart notes: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg
    Base notes: cocoa beans, dark chocolate"

-- notes quoted from RedRazz's review

Most chocolate scents that I had tried before this one ended up smelling like Cocoa Puffs cereal on me. The pepper & other spices in this one temper the sweetness and keep it smelling warm and a little mysterious (makes me think of Vianne's Chocolaterie).
    Last edited by tang; 1st December 2007 at 05:53 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

So many beautiful gourmands!

For me it's AL Turkish Vanilla today!

Blog Entries

Well - the closest I could get was MPG Bahiana

According to MPG it features “Brazilian orange, caïpirinha lemon, yellow mandarin, tagette, green leaf, rosewood, gaiac wood, elemi, amber, musk, and coconut”

I figured the coconut made it acceptable in this category - if not - no matter - the first thing that DH said this morning BEFORE he had a cuppa java (normally says nothing before 2 cups) was "You smell NICE"

That's all I needed to hear - this will now translate into a full bottle.
    Even if he hadn't made that earthshaking remark - this would go into my buy list.

I was prepared not to like it - I like my coconut in macaroons or on top of cake icing. Never figgered I'd wear it. And I don't really own anything very citrusy either.

This is also supposed to be for warm weather - I'm sitting here in a hat and gloves indoors (cause part of my roof is off) and I don't care - this is so refreshing!!!

I am a novice scent describer with an untrained nose so bear with me.

Hmmm adjectives:
    top notes: tart, crisp, sprightly, spicy, peppery, alive, sunny.

Had to look up "tagette" - turned out to be a lemony smelling flower, but this has not much lemon for me - smells more like a mango-lime combo.

As it is drying down the amber/musk/coconut warms it more - have a feeling this isn't going to have a lot of longevity, but I am sniffing me and it smells yummy.

It actually does not remind me of Bahia at all - it smells more like lively, faster paced Rio de Janeiro. I think that Bahia, would have a much lusher riper scent with a darker sensuousness. But it awakens feelings of "Saudade" (homesickness) to be again in Brazil

The green and yellow notes do match the colors of the Brazilian flag

Last edited by DeeOlive; 1st December 2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo

For the S'n'S Saturday I'm wearing Angel edp.The topnotes of the scent is dominated by a sparkling,but slightly sour/bitter quality.It reminds me of mint and grapefruit.This note slowly develops into something with a little bit more depth.The sparklin g quality is still there,but the citrus is gone.Not sure what causes this effect,but the drydown feels a lot "thicker" and slightly sweet.There's defenitely patchoulie, bergamot and something sweet that I think is honey and vanilla.This scent varies a lot from day to day on me.Today I find it similar to burned sugar,but other days it's defenitely chocolate of the kind you find in those Advent calendars. All in all it's a real silage monster,but it never fails to give me selfesteem.A little goes a long way,though.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 1st December 2007 at 05:58 PM.

My sotd is HYPNOTIC POISON. This is a lovely musk, vanilla oriental that I always find soft, sensual and never cloying. It is also one of the few gourmands that I can wear really well!

Sote will be SHALIMAR. I love the tonka bean and incense paired with loads of scrumptious vanilla in this one. Still one of my all-time favorite classics!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Dee Olive you may be responsible for starting my next major 'lemming'. I had a baaaaad case of lust for a bottle of Creed Virgin Island Water all summer after I got a decant. It gave me the most enormous coconut craving; I was astonished how many frags use coconut as a note. But only 'the real thing' absolutely hit the spot. I may cave in next summer and just save up for a bottle. (That's one reason I didn't wear it today - that stuff is dangerous!)

The figs are still going. Admittedly, I did have a very good squirt this morning (OK, maybe more of a shower in the stuff). But it's still exactly as it was this morning - very green, very figgy.

However, I'm sniffing my wrists a lot this afternoon as I had to try Bulgari Blue Notte Femme, having heard about the foody notes in it. It's not as sweet as i'd expected and in truth I can't make any elements out, but it's very nice. Maybe I can smell a tiny bit of chocolate.

Or maybe that's residual cocoa powder from my baking session with my Chick this afternoon. She's been desperate to cook pancakes for days so that's what we had for supper. After baking a big chocolate cake. Influenced by the perfumes I wear? Me?
    ;-)

Since Lann-Al eventually wore off, I am in PG's

Un Crime Exotique

THE perfect spicy gourmand.
    Sakecat, I am sorry it didn't work for you, but .... more for me!
    On my skin, it isn't a mere gingerbread concoction. Anise is very prominent and the mate adds a tiny bitter accent, with the other spices blending in so smoothly.... and a splendid apricot-scented floral hint dwells in its heart. Agreed, it isn't an easy scent, especially if one wishes to wear it when it's NOT holiday season. But I have a suspicion it will be my next full bottle from Pierre.
    Notes: Chinese osmanthus, gingerbread, tea, cinnamon, star anise, mate absolute, vanilla sugar, South Sea Island sandalwood.

Today I'll go with Dior Homme. I know it's only a semi-gourmand, but it is as close as I can get.

Montale Sweet Oriental Dream. Not as Turkish Delight-like as Amandes Oriental, but still quite foody, imo, but smartened up by what tmn is pipe tobacco.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

... Or maybe that's residual cocoa powder from my baking session with my Chick this afternoon. She's been desperate to cook pancakes for days so that's what we had for supper. After baking a big chocolate cake. Influenced by the perfumes I wear? Me?
    ;-)
    Wordbird, you and your lady need to come over to our house! Baked a "checkerboard" cake for DS#2 (birthday was earlier this week, his party is tonight), and our Sunday morning breakfast is usually pancakes (with silken tofu snuck in for health reasons)... You'll never be able to taste the difference!

My Yvette is drying down to a gorgeous foody/woody delight. Yum!

Blog Entries

I'll be wearing Rochas Man tonight!

Top Notes
    Lavender, Green Leaves, Bergamot,

Middle Notes
    Sensual and Lush,

Base Notes
    Amber, Mocha, Vanilla,
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia