Code of Conduct

Default I just want to fall in love with a woman who loves perfume.

Let's talk about smells and attraction (spawned by the basenote crush thread in the off-topic section). Here are some random thoughts...

I remember there was this one girl who liked me and I thought it could happen, but she had this really really strange BO that I couldn't stand. I realized that it just couldn't happen. There have been several instances where I was just totally turned off by girls' BO as attractive as they were (stupid nose). The attraction plummets the moment I catch whiff of something not that smell-appealing.

Anyway, I secretly want to find a woman who can appreciate fragrance. I got this girl into fragrances. I had neutrally showed her the Serge Lutens line and taught her a thing a two about fragrances. A week later, she tells me that she has been going out to fragrance shops smelling different things (cool!) and finally settled on a scent. She wore it and made me guess... I couldn't believe it, she chose Fumerie Turque. She's been sporting it every day, and man being a 22 year old guy, I don't find girls sporting Serge Luten's in my peer group. She's just so much more attractive because of all this.

I hate the olfactory memory sometimes. Two weeks into my relationship with my former girlfriend, she told me to guess what she had purchased, I guessed correctly and it was Bond No. 9's Scent of Peace (Interestingly, I don't believe to have influenced her into buying it since I never really mentioned Bond No. 9 and I became more attracted to her because of her great taste). But to this day, whenever I smell something that resembles that fragrance, I think of her - it brings me right next to her. I still remember the smells of old significant others. Perhaps my relationships with them weren't as strong such that the olfactory nostalgia is not as strong. But man, this Scent of Peace scent brings back strong, strong memories. Sorry future girlfriend, you can't wear Scent of Peace... well, maybe after a couple years.

Well all in all, I guess when you're passionate about something, you hope that your significant other would be able to be aligned with what you enjoy and support you in it. Turning on the sensitive side of me... *beep* there we go... I can imagine traveling the world, visiting gardens, fragrance houses, fragrance shops, and what not and smelling things together. Everyday she will smell different, but she will have the right fragrance for the occasion and weather that we would be in. Maybe I can help her pick out her SOTD and she can pick out mine. Okay, enough, enough. Wait. Or I can imagine smelling Musc Ravageur on a woman and whispering in her ear in a creepy way, "Do you know that in my fragrance community, one considers that fragrance to be like 'sex in a bottle'? Well baby, I'm wearing Le Labo 31 which is 'sex in a rose garden' (Reference: sloan_8013 http://community.basenotes.net/showp...38&postcount=6, thanks buddy for the great analogy)" We'd get married the next day and have 10 children. Haha.

For the single guys out there, being able to pick out a woman's scent is absolutely attractive (I've been able to do this a handful of times, and I've gotten positive reactions) as with woman's fashion - knowing a thing (especially being able to tell) or two about purses, make up, shoes, and what not can help your game. But hey this is all just bonus points in the game of love.

For the guys (or gals), how does your significant other respond to your love for fragrances? Are you partners in crime? For the rest of you guys, please discuss this whole fragrance vs. attraction thing.

I hope you enjoyed a candid and well for me a somewhat bitter-sweet-yet funny post. For you basenotes darlings who might end up seeing this post, I <3 you.
    Last edited by scentophile; 28th November 2007 at 10:58 PM.

Default Re: I just want to fall in love with a woman who loves perfume.

I can definitely sympathize with "ruined" fragrances. For me, my ex took Creed's Silver Mountain Water and Givenchy's Pi. Rargh.

I can't say that I demand potential boyfriend to be fragrance obsessed. That's mostly because it's such a rarity for straight dudes (sorry, straight dudes). It would definitely be a turn-on though, and BO is totally a gamekiller for me too unless it's light and somehow really good BO.

And I just want to fall in love with a woman, who's open-minded enough to realise that such 'non-macho' interests/qualities doesn't mean that you're potentially a closet homosexual. Hell, whenever I see a woman wearing trousers, I never tell myself that she's a lesbian...
    Last edited by Trebor; 28th November 2007 at 11:19 PM.

I agree that it's an unfortunate cliche that non-macho interests equalz homosexual.

Side note: women totally need to wear skirts more often. I hate getting "Why are you so dressed up?" whenever I do. Maybe it's just college?

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    I agree that it's an unfortunate cliche that non-macho interests equalz homosexual.

Side note: women totally need to wear skirts more often. I hate getting "Why are you so dressed up?" whenever I do. Maybe it's just college?
    Yeah, that's real funny - a century ago, the only women who wore trousers were lesbians (or branded as such). Nowadays, women can wear what the hell they want. So, why the hypocrisy from female members of society for men who verge away from such masculine cliches? It seems that women need to ditch all that marketing brainwashing and gain a better understanding of the true roots of their gradual (and still evolving) emancipation. Maybe only then they'll realise that such cliches are complete and utter hogwash...
    Last edited by Trebor; 28th November 2007 at 11:42 PM.

I too wish my wife of 42(43 if we make it to Jan. 16) years was more scent-oriented. She wears frags and I got her to use Angel but she doesn't understand my love of them. She really hates the dollars spent on them so I've backed off and just look for swaps now.

Each day I ask her if she likes my SOTD. She's harshly honest in her responses . I try to wear ones she's liked in the past when we go out togeather but I still will wear what I like all of the time. We agree on most of them but not always. She insist's on wearing Clinque's Elixer and I can't stand it. Oh well, she's put up with me all this time so I'll shut my big mouth .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

My wife hates me spending the money but she LOVES it when I smell good.
    I toss her a bone every now and then too....such as the new Gucci EDP (Smells great IMO) Escada Magnetism, Chinatown....those are just a few that I've introduced her too.
    and she does really like it when I get her the stuff....but she always bitches about the Money I spend on them...

Cool Re: I just want to fall in love with a woman who loves perfume.

Now I don't want to play " Can you bottom this? " but my ex-gf wanted me to wear only one fragrance around her, as it "confused her" when I wore different ones--
    Only one?
    that's bad enough but which one? We Libras are so indecisive.

Then she decided that ANY scent I wore interfered her Issey Miyake.
    I felt bad, esp, after I bought her a bottle as part of Xmas/ Birthday (Capricorns!) presents.
    I also gave her Erolfa, Millesime Imperiale and Profumo's " Holy Water."--Well, she does need the latter to keep her demons at bay---

For some time, both my male and female friends--though a few were atheists, fervently prayed for the sake of my inmortal soul, that she'd never call me again.
    She did, but I declined. There is a God. Or, even when lonesome, I have more cojones than I thought.
    Besides, one can find control freaks everywhere without having to be romantically involved with them

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memories? Well, back to the ancient good old days---sitting at art class in H.S and smelling orange blossoms through the window when the impossibly lovely girl sat across from me and smiled . . .

* sigh *

Cry me a River,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

An interest in fragrances has never been one of my deal-breakers for dating and/or relationships. One of my concerns is that those who come into my life accept my passion for scents as part of my sensual nature and accept me as I am. I have introduced a few friends and lovers to scents of which they would have likely never heard and it has worked rather well. When at my place, I usually open the fridge that contains my fragrance collection and let them sniff away. I have never had anyone refuse the offer of a decant or two of the scents they like.

As for my "sex in a rose garden" comment, I also highly recommend it. Watch out for thorns though. I also suggest working some rose petals into some warm, moist, soil from the garden floor and...
    Last edited by Sloan; 29th November 2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: sp

i have only ever dated one chick that ever told me i smelled nice or gave a shit in my frag interest...it does piss me off that girls i have dated didnt even take note of my hobby or interest....i say good luck to you man in finding this woman...maybe basenotes can set up like a match.com....that would be killer...im not joking either. Ha ha...good luck in your search, let me know when you find her and if she has a sister.

Sometimes strange BO is nothing more than they're using antiperspirant which is too old. They have a favourite one which they use on special occasions, or have stocked up on, and it actually makes thing far worse - and it doesn't wash out with normal soap in a shower. I know this because it actually happened to me with some bottles of my antiperspirants. I had to use abrasive soap (the sort you use to get car oil and grease off your hands) under my armpits (ouch) to get rid of the damnable stuff. So next time you meet someone wonderful who smells bad around her armpits, discreetly inquire about her antiperspirant and it's age, and perhaps by her a bar of Solvol.

As to the other part of your discussion, my wife only had a paltry 40 or so perfumes when we first started going out four years ago. I've since remedied that sad situation in the intervening period.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 29th November 2007 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile View Post
    Let's talk about smells and attraction (spawned by the basenote crush thread in the off-topic section). Here are some random thoughts...

I remember there was this one girl who liked me and I thought it could happen, but she had this really really strange BO that I couldn't stand. I realized that it just couldn't happen. There have been several instances where I was just totally turned off by girls' BO as attractive as they were (stupid nose). The attraction plummets the moment I catch whiff of something not that smell-appealing.

Anyway, I secretly want to find a woman who can appreciate fragrance. I got this girl into fragrances. I had neutrally showed her the Serge Lutens line and taught her a thing a two about fragrances. A week later, she tells me that she has been going out to fragrance shops smelling different things (cool!) and finally settled on a scent. She wore it and made me guess... I couldn't believe it, she chose Fumerie Turque. She's been sporting it every day, and man being a 22 year old guy, I don't find girls sporting Serge Luten's in my peer group. She's just so much more attractive because of all this.

I hate the olfactory memory sometimes. Two weeks into my relationship with my former girlfriend, she told me to guess what she had purchased, I guessed correctly and it was Bond No. 9's Scent of Peace (Interestingly, I don't believe to have influenced her into buying it since I never really mentioned Bond No. 9 and I became more attracted to her because of her great taste). But to this day, whenever I smell something that resembles that fragrance, I think of her - it brings me right next to her. I still remember the smells of old significant others. Perhaps my relationships with them weren't as strong such that the olfactory nostalgia is not as strong. But man, this Scent of Peace scent brings back strong, strong memories. Sorry future girlfriend, you can't wear Scent of Peace... well, maybe after a couple years.

Well all in all, I guess when you're passionate about something, you hope that your significant other would be able to be aligned with what you enjoy and support you in it. Turning on the sensitive side of me... *beep* there we go... I can imagine traveling the world, visiting gardens, fragrance houses, fragrance shops, and what not and smelling things together. Everyday she will smell different, but she will have the right fragrance for the occasion and weather that we would be in. Maybe I can help her pick out her SOTD and she can pick out mine. Okay, enough, enough. Wait. Or I can imagine smelling Musc Ravageur on a woman and whispering in her ear in a creepy way, "Do you know that in my fragrance community, one considers that fragrance to be like 'sex in a bottle'? Well baby, I'm wearing Le Labo 31 which is 'sex in a rose garden' (Reference: sloan_8013 http://community.basenotes.net/showp...38&postcount=6, thanks buddy for the great analogy)" We'd get married the next day and have 10 children. Haha.

For the single guys out there, being able to pick out a woman's scent is absolutely attractive (I've been able to do this a handful of times, and I've gotten positive reactions) as with woman's fashion - knowing a thing (especially being able to tell) or two about purses, make up, shoes, and what not can help your game. But hey this is all just bonus points in the game of love.

For the guys (or gals), how does your significant other respond to your love for fragrances? Are you partners in crime? For the rest of you guys, please discuss this whole fragrance vs. attraction thing.

I hope you enjoyed a candid and well for me a somewhat bitter-sweet-yet funny post. For you basenotes darlings who might end up seeing this post, I <3 you.
    What a nice and very close to my soul post! So dreamy.

On of my imaginations is such: a guy wears Bois Farine and a girl - Timbuktu
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

This is an excellent thread. Great post, Scentophile. You sound like an extremely thoughtful and classy guy. Eventually you'll meet someone who loves the things you do, or is at least open to learning.

I gave my girlfriend some vials of very high quality amber oil before we were together. She started to wear them whenever she was around me, which definitely made her more attractive... but mostly because of the thought behind it. She showed in interest in my essential oils/fragrance hobby even before we were together, and now she always shows a lot of interest when I talk about it.

I'm a very sensual person, but not in a crude way. I enjoy things that exalt and celebrate the senses, not exploit them. I'm a pretty good chef, a musician, I have a massive essential oil and fragrance collection and I make my own fragrances, and I'm starting to seriously study incense (particularly Japanese "kodo" incense ceremony).
    I'm only 21, so I'm glad I'm with someone who can appreciate all these things with me. Most of my peers just aren't engaged in this kind of stuff at all.

My dear wife thought I was going insane (or senile) several years ago when I became really interested in fragrances, after joining BN. "Oh no, not yet another obsession!" she said. Literally hundreds of samples, decants, and bottles gradually appeared, overwhelming my bathroom storage space. When this started, she had just a few smells. However, I gradually shared all of these with her, and ordered a few classic women's scents and samples for her to try.

Fast forward a few years. She absolutely LOVES the Ambre Narguille that I got for her birthday this past March. She's also purchased Youth Dew for herself, and really enjoyed the Laura Biagiotti Venezia mini that I sourced for her a few weeks ago. She no longer thinks that I'm crazy, at least not about fragrance, and she now frequently dips into my stash for her SOTD. Why, just this morning she spritzed herself with Santal Noble!

I guess that the moral of my story is that it is possible for your S.O. to became that scent-loving sass you desire, even if she doesn't start out being so.

Now, as for past memories, don't even get me started about the Opium EDP that one of my early ex's used to wear...

Lovely thread, Scentophile It's a nice idea to have someone close who understands the interest in fragrance.

I broke up with a girl because I couldn't get past her always smelling like baby powder.

I even remember how people smell over their names. When people smell similar, and I like the person who they smell like, they get an unfair advantage over someone who smells unfamiliar or just okay and is really super nice.

I can't help it!

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    I guess that the moral of my story is that it is possible for your S.O. to became that scent-loving sass you desire, even if she doesn't start out being so.

"scent-loving sass ... "! Love it!

Now, as for past memories, don't even get me started about the Opium EDP that one of my early ex's used to wear...
    My mother has worn Opium for years. Now there's a thought. Or maybe not.

This is a great thread!

Even though many of my previous partners have never had a great many perfumes in their collection, and I also never took much interest not until a couple of years ago, I agree. It is also one of my wishes to be with somebody who appreciates this aspect of my life. Going to the perfume counter is probably one of the few shopping trips I would actually like.

QE

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I'm a very sensual person, but not in a crude way. I enjoy things that exalt and celebrate the senses, not exploit them. I'm a pretty good chef, a musician, I have a massive essential oil and fragrance collection and I make my own fragrances, and I'm starting to seriously study incense (particularly Japanese "kodo" incense ceremony).
    I'm only 21, so I'm glad I'm with someone who can appreciate all these things with me. Most of my peers just aren't engaged in this kind of stuff at all.
    I'm very much like you!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    Fast forward a few years. She absolutely LOVES the Ambre Narguille that I got for her birthday this past March.
    Awesome purchase!
    Last edited by scentophile; 29th November 2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Haha I totally forgot to actually answer the question in my post.. shows where my head is..

But I really would love it if the next guy I'm with, that's assuming there will be one, shared or even just understood my interest.. I mentioned it to someone I was dating not so long ago and he seemed almost puzzled by it. I enjoy people who seek out the finer sensory experiences and for me this very much includes an interest in scent. Not that I'd say no to a fantastic cook with no scent collection.

meh, I would not care if she is not that much into fragrances. I do not want to fall in love of someone like me, or because she is like me.

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile View Post
    Anyway, I secretly want to find a woman who can appreciate fragrance.
    C'mere behbeh.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...