Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The smell of a Christmas tree = Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan

I tried this for the first time today. I had read a lot about this before today, so I came to this scent with high expectations and I was not disappointed. It is lovely.

I was expecting something licorice oriented (like the new Hermessence Brin de Reglisse by Hermes) or more minty (like Absinthe by Ava Luxe). How surprised was I, when the predominant note for me is pine needles. Straight up Christmas tree pine needles. It reminded me of when I'm trimming a Christmas tree and I have to climb underneath the lower branches to water the tree and for those few seconds your nose is inches away from a real living pine tree, mixed with the smell of the needles.

Extremely woody top notes that are not resinous or dried smelling either - rather the smell of a tree alive, in the ground, in a forest. The pine needle note was not headache inducing (like some scents are to me) and the medium average sillage and longevity kept this scent perfectly grounded on my skin throughout the morning. I'd stand up from my office desk and be rewarded with warm comforting pine notes. Just lovely.

The altogether nonexistent absinthe notes didn't bother me - I was happy with what I got.

Olivia Giacobetti does it again, doesn't she?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: The smell of a Christmas tree = Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan

I love this one. The longest lasting L'Artisan for me and the most masculine IMHO.
    It has perfect sillage as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it a lot, too. It never seems overpowering, but at random times throughout the day I suddenly get another whiff of it. Nobody I know personally cares much for it, though. It seems to be only those of us who are really into fragrances who see its appeal. Odd.

Off-Scenter

Funny. I do get the anise/absinthe accord, but no "Christmas tree." I have come to think of this as my favorite of the L'Artisan line, and one of the very few that last more than an hour on me.

Post Thanks / Like

I get fleeting absinthe, but no anise; the Christmas tree; and a lingering aroma of shaving cream. This scent did not last long on me.

I admire Olivia a great deal, I wish I liked wearing more of her creations.

My favorite L'Artisan continues to be Dzing! and she would get my undying admiration for that alone.
    Last edited by zatarain; 29th November 2007 at 12:25 AM.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I wore it for the first time this season yesterday and I was impressed....again.
    I don't know why I don't wear this more often.
    It is very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Vibert on this one. I smell a strong presence of the anise/absinthe accord and fail to pick up on Christmas tree accord. The last time I wore Fou d'Absinthe, I sensed some pine and balsam in the base but failed to make the Christmas tree connection. I haven't worn FdA since I purchased Douce Amere (my favorite absinthe scent) but I'll revisit my sample archive and test it in cooler weather.

Yes Mike, Olivia Giacobetti does it again.
    Last edited by Sloan; 29th November 2007 at 01:20 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing I forgot to mention, this is an Eau de Parfum...whereas most L'Artisan scents are EdT, no? I'm sure this is why this particular L'Artisan fragrance is richer and deeper than most (well, besides Dzing).

Additionally, I have sometimes a problem with anise in my scents (its appearance in Yohji Homme and Lolita Lempecka made these unwearable for me), and so it's absence in FdA is strange and kind of wonderful also.

I never thought I'd ever encounter a subtle pine scent (well besides Gris Clair by Serge Lutens...but then this is much more about lavender) and that is exactly what FdA is. Subtle pine. Quite magical.

BTW - does anybody else get the 'frozen alcohol' notes at the top?

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

so I guess I'm still the only one who gets an egg nog note from FdA...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo View Post
    so I guess I'm still the only one who gets an egg nog note from FdA...
    Well...it does have pepper, clove, nutmeg, and ginger in the middle (looking at the official notes) so maybe that's what's giving you and your nose the eggnog olfactory connection?

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    I'm with Vibert on this one. I smell a strong presence of the anise/absinthe accord and fail to pick up on Christmas tree accord. [...]
    Same here! - I admit that the smell of pine and fir trees (any kind, not just at christmas) is more familiar to me than anise and absinthe. Nothing close there to my nose, and I even wore FdA at Christmas last year. If that makes Christmas for some, an Egg nogg or 'schnaps' accord is indeed detectable. Some of you will remember how EauxM's fragrances were discussed around this time last year. Let me Play the Lion by Isabelle Doyen is the one that comes next to Fou d'Absinthe in my books.
    Last edited by narcus; 29th November 2007 at 09:10 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I was let down by Fou d'Absinthe. It reminded me of Nautica Latitude/Longitude. Not high praise... though the few times I wore L/L it did get high praise from those around me.

My favorite drink of choice is Green Chartreuse... not quite absinthe, but you see how I REALLY wanted this to be magic for me.

I thought it was very green herbal - absinthe if you will - but didn't get the pine. I'll try it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Top notes indeed smell like a Christmas tree. The base of Fou d'absinthe is too "soft" and after-shave. I prefer Timbuktu to Fou d'absinthe.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

I'm having trouble finding this online at the websites that some of you suggested to me in another thread. Where is a good place to find this particular fragrance?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckyscent has it here

Aedes has it also here

Post Thanks / Like

I get the pine needles, but also the absinthe accord and various spices, and I don't find it particularly "woody," so for me it doesn't really add up to the smell of a Christmas tree. One of my favorites from the L'Artisan line, however.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 30th November 2007 at 05:56 AM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I couldn't agree more...I love the pine forrest floor accord that is the base of FA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well...it does have pepper, clove, nutmeg, and ginger in the middle (looking at the official notes) so maybe that's what's giving you and your nose the eggnog olfactory connection?
    When I wear FdA, my wife always remarks, "Hmmm! Ginger cookie!". I do pick up the pine/fir, but not quite strongly enough to equate it to Christmas tree. I'll definitely be wearing this more often now that Xmas is approaching.

FdA was my first niche purchase, so it holds a special place for me. It's comforting, as is Gucci Rush for men, although FdA is more complex and therefore more interesting. p.s. I always have a stand of wormwood in my garden (growing fragrant plants and herbs long pre-dated my interest in perfumes!), just so I can smell its distinctive anise/earthy/eucalytus fragrance when I prune it back.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    ...My favorite drink of choice is Green Chartreuse... not quite absinthe, but you see how I REALLY wanted this to be magic for me.
    Whew - that comment really took me back! What a powerhouse liqueur! With Chartreuse, I always feel like I'm drinking a distilled herb garden - which I suppose it is...
    Last edited by Snafoo; 1st December 2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it for the first time yesterday - I had a sample in my possession for over a year and had never even reached for it - and was very impressed. I think the smell of pine has suddenly become appealing to me, as this, along with Havana, just smell wonderful. I was thinking about the pepper, as there was a black pepper thread yesterday, and this definitely seemed to fit that bill too. I had posted a while ago about wanting to smell like X-Mas, and this is certainly a contender.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Post Thanks / Like

Also from a sample of yesterday, gradually the pine note would emerge from somewhere deep. Actually it would take over dominance from the sweeter -absynthe?- accord and what remains is a pleasant green drydown.
    For me the best L'Artisan so far.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bront82 View Post
    I had posted a while ago about wanting to smell like X-Mas, and this is certainly a contender.
    I totally agree.

Looking for a great Christmas scent, so this is getting added to my list.

What are some other good ones? I've read Burberry London for Men is good (also Cube Red). What else?

Bayside Pour Homme reminds me of Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Looking for a great Christmas scent, so this is getting added to my list.

What are some other good ones? I've read Burberry London for Men is good (also Cube Red). What else?
    For pine needles you could try Acqua di Parma Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana, Olympic Rainforest Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes or Demeter cyprus cologne.
    ~~~~ www.nascio.com.au ~~~~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you tried Winter Star by Michael Storer ?

Post Thanks / Like

...for the perfect Christmas tree smell: Pino Silvestre(christmas tree), cheap and very good!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, pine scents... dear to my heart. Fou D'Absinthe is a favorite of mine. And Pino Silvester is great value.
    I'll invite everyone to check out my "Coneheads" group for a thorough archive of coniferous scents. Cheers, ody.

http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=52
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow I forgot about this thread from years ago. These days I get my pine 'fix' from Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens and Granville by Dior although neither of these are 'like' FdA...or for that matter smell like a Christmas tree.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Right, mike. I love Fou D'Absinthe, but for me it is a lovely licorice/anise scent with other green notes. I get very little coniferous in it. Granville is excellent; I've tried Fille en aiguilles but there was something that turned me off... certainly I don't remember a lot of pine in it. But you, mike, have a real selective nose towards pine whereas I can hardly get enough of the stuff. But it is good that we can each appreciate some of the scents in that range.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree - have it (2 bottles actually) and love it. My only complaint is I don't find the opportunity to wear it enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Epicea has a very nice fir tree forest / christmas aroma.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed, on an email from Beauty Habit, that L'Artisan is now selling Fou d'Absinthe scented Shower Gel ($45) and Body Lotion ($70). They sound absolutely perfect for the upcoming Fall season.

Link here: http://www.beautyhabit.com/lartisan_body.html

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, FdA is my scent of the day today after a very long hiatus from it. I really do love this scent, I don't know why I don't wear it more often. Also, this thread is one of the enablers that got me to purchase FdA in the first place.

Mike, those body products sound interesting. I'd love to take a Fou d'Absinthe shower, and I imagine the lotion would be great during dry, cold winter months (okay, maybe not so much in Miami).

I wonder how L'Artisan decided which scents to release ancillary products for? Are Fou d'Absinthe, La Chasse Aux Papillions, Mure et Musc, and Premier Figuier best sellers for L'Artisan?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that Mure et Musc is definitely a L'Artisan best-seller, not so sure about the other selections. I know when it comes to creating scents for the ancillary products, some fragrances just don't 'play well' when scenting lotion, emollients, soaps. Perhaps this, and market studies, have something to do with the scents chosen. I remember also that those limited-edition cologne-type L'Artisan releases (like L Eau d'Jatamansi) also came out in Shower Gels. Still one can’t help but fantasize about Dzing!, Tea for Two or Timbuktu scented Shower Gels...

-- Jack Kerouac