Code of Conduct

Default Black Pepper - The forgotten note

I detest Black Pepper. I will not have it in my home. The site of grinding a peppermill makes me nauseous. I simply can not stand it....on my food that is. However, as a fragrance note, it happens to be one of my favorite notes. It adds a certain spark and omph that takes an ordinary scent into another realm. But it's like the Rodney Dangerfield of notes - it never gets praise it deserves. And yet it is one of the simplest ingredients out there. Not everyone has smelled Cyprus but everyone has encountered Pepper. So, in honor of the Black Pepper, I list my favorites.

Gucci PH - cleverly balances the wood with the amber
    Joop! Rococo - Pepper dancing on top of a rose
    Molton Brown Black Pepper - a delicious blend of ginger and pepper the both soothes and energizes, kind of like a Red Bull & Vodka
    Opium PH EdT - Szechwan Pepper? I think I ate one of those one time, and my tongue never forgave me. Anyway, it adds an edge that the other Opium versions lack
    Allure Homme - the pepper expertly melds the tart citrus notes with the sweet notes

Next up - Salt!!!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Black Pepper - The forgotten note

With the exception of the Molton Brown (which I haven't come across) I wouldn't have thought the other ones you've listed as being particularly peppery.

To me, the really peppery scents are Polo Sport Extreme, Oscar for Men and the somewhat less peppery, Piper Nigrum.
    Have you come across them?
    Renato

I second the Molton Brown Black Pepper body wash. Its excellent!
    Renato, DJ's stocks the line in their flagship stores. Its worth checking out.

It also appears in some of my fave scents, such as LPNo.9 and others. I also enjoy Joop Roccoco and its unique peppery quality.

Manicboy... Get thee to Polo Sport Extreme!!!!

pronto.

Lest we forget the wonderful pepper note in that little known sleeper "Charro" from Italy.
    The pink pepper not in OJ Isfarkand is also very nice
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Navegar!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

armani privé bois d'encens - very pronounced black pepper
    LV Inglese/Wild Lavender - prominent black pepper

The peppery opening of Angeliques sous la pluie
    the teasing opening of Extravagance d'amarige
    The quintessence of pepper Piper Nigrum
    Navegar
    The opening of Miracle PH

Smile Re: Black Pepper - The forgotten note

Another one for Oscar

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Opus 1870 (Penhaligon's)

I love pepper (both in food and in scents) ...

... l'homme de coeur
    ... préparation parfumée
    ... navegar, timbuktu
    ... isfahan
    ... and many more :-)
    --------------------------------------
    Last edited by newtrane; 29th November 2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Hey - what about Rose Poivree by The Different Company, one of my favorite uses of black pepper in fragrance?

I also found out that Lemon Sorbet by ETRO uses a subtle note of black pepper in the middle notes, and gives the lemon the punch it needs.

If you're a fan of white pepper (just a tad more refined IMO) then please try Hermessence Poivre Samarcande by Hermes.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th November 2007 at 05:33 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

When I saw this thread title I immediately thought of Polo Double Black. Pepper invested.

The two Ormande Jayne scents for men are freaking loaded with pepper. Decent, but they are way overpriced for the quality, IMO.

Méchant Loup (L'Artisan Parfumeur)

Baldessarini Del Mar has a strong pepper top note...

Have you ever thought of buying the essential oil and - be careful, dilute it down - and layering it? It adds both sparkle and depth to other fragrances. I'd encourage you to try pink peppercorn EO also, gorgeous stuff.

The peppers do go with most other notes, so you may easily broaden your spectrum of enjoyment of your fragrances currently in your possession. Have fun!
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Was Caron's Poivre too obvious to mention ?
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Big second on Penhaligon's Opus 1870, and nod to Gucci PH 2!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I second the Molton Brown Black Pepper body wash. Its excellent!
    Renato, DJ's stocks the line in their flagship stores. Its worth checking out.
    The EdT is quite nice too! Wonder why there are no reviews of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

pronto.
    I used to have the regular Polo Sport but I must check out the Extreme version.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Opus 1870 (Penhaligon's)
    Sprayed this on once and liked it. Must get a sample!
    Last edited by manicboy; 29th November 2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

pronto.
    No doubt! Polo Sport Extreme is the fragrance with the closest approximation of freshly ground black pepper that I am aware of; very sharp and bracing.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post

I used to have the regular Polo Sport but I must check out the Extreme version.
    They're completely different creations with nothing in common. Polo Sport Extreme is discontinued so it's not exactly everywhere-- but you might be still be able to find the untouched bottle sitting in a glass case at the likes of Walgreens or Wal-mart for example if you want to test it. Otherwise I think it can still be had through a good number of e-tailers.

A lot of good fragrances use pepper, but this one features black pepper to the point that you almost don't notice anything else. Extreme Polo Sport is to Black Pepper what Tam Dao is to Sandalwood. When I wear it I get lots of compliments. It's unlike anything I've ever smelled. One of the most original things Ralph Lauren has ever put out and a real shame that it was discontinued (though I have my back-up stock of this one).
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 29th November 2007 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo

Polo Double Black has one of my favorite top notes EVER. Lots of black pepper. But this period of ecstasy lasts only 10 minutes then fades to bland.

I agree with Isfarkand. Great pepper note, but I'm not sure it's black pepper. Not that it matters. It smells great either way.

TdH smells a bit peppery to me all the way through its evolution, but I wouldn't call it a pepper scent.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Polo Double Black has one of my favorite top notes EVER. Lots of black pepper. But this period of ecstasy lasts only 10 minutes then fades to bland.
    I had the same experience. 10 minutes of black pepper nirvana followed by the smell of...Polo Sport. Yawn.

buberry london
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I detest Black Pepper. I will not have it in my home. The site of grinding a peppermill makes me nauseous. I simply can not stand it....on my food that is. However, as a fragrance note, it happens to be one of my favorite notes.
    That's funny...with me, it's the opposite!!
    I don't hate black pepper in general and i Love it on food, the more the merrier, but it's one of my most hated notes on fragrances.

I'll keep an eye out for the salt thread!

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    armani privé bois d'encens - very pronounced black pepper
    LV Inglese/Wild Lavender - prominent black pepper
    Totally! Bois d'encens is like opening a jar of cracked black pepper and taking a big whiff! The only thing about this one is, that's about all I get.

As someone who eats PM meals loaded with black pepper, I recommend three different:

For a mild black pepper, mixed with sweetness: Polo Double Black

For very sharp, strong and clean pepper: Polo Sport Extreme

For a pepper note that seems to be void of the harsh top, but very very strong on the earthy and hot base of black pepper (and in my opinion the best and classiest black pepper note): Oscar for men