Code of Conduct

Default LIU - how fantastic is it?

Here's a nice one: my better half want to spend an exclusive Guerlain on me for X-mas! I'm thinking 'damn, which one do I miss in my collection? (besides the out-of-reach expensive Voilette de Madame)'?

LIU from the Les Parisiennes-line has popped up in my mind several times. Could anyone describe it? I tried it looong time ago, I know it's basically aldehydes on top of rose, wood and vanilla. It's mostly the aldehydes that scare me (as a man). But just HOW beautiful is this composition (especially beneath the aldehydes)? Is it indispensable if you are a Guerlain-fan?

Default Re: LIU - how fantastic is it?

I would try it if you are leery of aldehydes.

I am a fan of Liu and was recently able to score a bottle. On me it works much better than Chanel No. 5, but is similar. I think Guerlain did a better job of blending the aldehyde with the floral, but I am partial. On me the drydown is a very powdery floral.

If you like and wear No.5, you will probably be ecstatic with Liu.

It does smell like a "better" (IMO) Chanel no. 5 (I've never been a fan of NO. 5, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd wear Liu, no question).

Better to sample this first.

I was disappointed because I can't wear it and I love most Guerlains! It's the aldehydes.

I have the edt version and find it reminescent of chanel no.5. I smelled it side by side and although found them to have similarities I prefer LIU. I am a bit biased though to the house of Guerlain. So, yes this is indispensible if you are a Guerlain fan. I find LIU to be more sweeter - perhaps more vanilla. On my skin LIU has less aldehyde quality than chanel no.5 . This segues to a beautiful sweet powdery floral over a guerlinade base. The lasting power of LIU is better - I will still smell hints of it after 6-8 hours. I find the aldehydes in this more tame than chanel's but it would be good for you to sample it first as I am not sure if they have reformulated this. But ofcourse if your partner insist to give it as a christmas gift, you can always be proud to add it to your Guerlain collection!
    Last edited by orchid74; 1st December 2007 at 05:47 AM.

Hi Orchid,
    that's what I hoped for, a nice guerlinade drydown, this old-fashioned Jacques Guerlain-feeling. I tried it in the reformulated Les Parisiennes version a long time ago, and though it WAS feminine, I remember this vintage-feeling that I love so much about Guerlain... Thanks for your input on this!

Quote Originally Posted by orchid74 View Post
    I have the edt version and find it reminescent of chanel no.5. I smelled it side by side and although found them to have similarities I prefer LIU. I am a bit biased though to the house of Guerlain. So, yes this is indispensible if you are a Guerlain fan. I find LIU to be more sweeter - perhaps more vanilla. On my skin LIU has less aldehyde quality than chanel no.5 . This segues to a beautiful sweet powdery floral over a guerlinade base. The lasting power of LIU is better - I will still smell hints of it after 6-8 hours. I find the aldehydes in this more tame than chanel's but it would be good for you to sample it first as I am not sure if they have reformulated this. But ofcourse if your partner insist to give it as a christmas gift, you can always be proud to add it to your Guerlain collection!