Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parfum des Merveilles - another JC Ellena masterpiece

Many of you are familiar with Eau des Merveilles by Hermes. Primarily marketed by Hermes as a feminine fragrance, this scent is worn and loved by many men here on Basenotes for a few reasons: It's wonderful almost dizzying ambergris note, that is not too aquatic (like Creed) or synthetic (like Davidoff's) but rather strikes that perfect balance between salt, water from the ocean and skin; the feeling of sun-dried salt water skin accord; the amazing longevity and sillage this fragrance has.

The fragrance was created by perfumers Ralf Schwieger and Nathalie Feisthauer in 2004. Since then, Hermes released a parfum version of the scent - under the name Parfum des Merveilles in 2005. PdM comes is a much smaller bottle and is about 4 times the price. EdM lists for $75 for 1.6 ounces, while the PdM lists for $100 for 1/4 of a ounce.

Scentemental shared a small sample with me of the parfum and I wore it throughout the Thanksgiving weekend, and the days following (it was my birthday and it was also White Party Week here in Miami). This stuff is even more amazing than the EdT of EdM!

The top notes are slightly more subtle. The citrus (orange) is still there, but it doesn't seem as effervescent as EdM - while the wood notes (oak and balsam) and amber are much more prominent. It strikes me as a very seacoast, Middle East vibe - if that makes sense. There's also a boozy cognac note in the PdM that characterizes it as a fall scent for me - coupled with a much more noticeable patchouli base. And it lasts and lasts...just like EdM.

I recently made it my goal to find out which perfumer created Parfum des Merveilles. Another Basenoter thought it was the original perfumers I listed above and all of the Hermes SA's I spoke to here in Miami and the blogs I contacted by email couldn't verify this. I finally found a Hermes rep in New York who called me personally after a couple of days and confirmed that in fact, Jean Claude Ellena and Ralf Schwieger, collaborated on Parfum des Merveilles. [Side note: Elixir des Merveilles released in 2006 was created solely by Jean Claude Ellena]

If you have been itching to try Eau des Merveilles (or if you're a Jean Claude Ellena completist like I am) please try Parfum des Merveilles.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th November 2007 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Parfum des Merveilles - another JC Ellena masterpiece

Interesting. I was fully prepared to get the EDT at one point, but then I noticed the little silver tester for the parfum. After I tried that, the EDT seemed like a total waste.

Interesting to find out that it was JCE! :toppie:

it's all true what Mike says! : )

have and wear all three regularily, not at the same time...though i did try layering the EDT and Parfum once for fun. I never want to be without the EDT or Parfum. Am on my third 100ml of EDT and 2nd bottle of parfum. my source: imaginationperfumery.com
    Last edited by TheCure; 29th November 2007 at 10:03 PM.

What I find most interesting about the Parfum is that you get this subtle fragrance that walks a thin line between the sublime and the skanky - in that Edmond Roudnitska way. Too me, PdM feels more like something JCE would have done for Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle rather than Hermes.
    Thanks Mike - to our delight JCE, is on a roll.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th November 2007 at 11:01 PM.

As much as i like PdM, i'll stick with the EdT version, i find it more wearable than the other one, and even better -but entirely different- is Elixir de Merveilles, one of the best scents of the last years that defies definition -for men-for women -gourmand -aquatic -floral -semi-oriental....etc!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 29th November 2007 at 11:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I love wearing Parfum des Merveilles. It's breathe takingly beautifuil summer or fall.

Post Thanks / Like

PdM feels more like something bad boys would want to steel from their mother. I would love too, but can't!
    Last edited by narcus; 30th November 2007 at 03:25 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I really enjoy the way JCE melted chocolate into the EdM theme and I find PdM a very pleasant juice. Nevertheless I still find EdM to be the true masterpiece being absolutely genial in its concept and a merveille in its balance. I still have to smell elixir de merveilles but I can figure out it's a beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

To say the truth, Merveilles (edt or elixir) is one of the scents I do not get. Maybe it's because I just smelled it a couple of times on a paper strip. I think I have to "investigate" this scent "deeper" in order to evaluate it's beauty. At the moment this scent is "silent" to me - no emotions.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    To say the truth, Merveilles (edt or elixir) is one of the scents I do not get. Maybe it's because I just smelled it a couple of times on a paper strip. I think I have to "investigate" this scent "deeper" in order to evaluate it's beauty. At the moment this scent is "silent" to me - no emotions.
    Please try Parfum des Merveilles on your skin Dreamer. The scent (like L'Eau d'Hiver by F. Malle and Terre d'Hermes - which JC Ellena also did and which are currently in your wardrobe) needs warm skin to really show you it's 'emotions'.

I have the distinct memory of wearing the scent for the first time about a year ago - I applied it in the morning and then about 2-3 hours into it the olfactory impression(s) of leaving the beach, with salt water dried all over my skin and hair, intensified and seems to hover all around me.

Post Thanks / Like

Eau des Merveilles is amazing. It wears incredibly well, and though it seems subtle at first, it gets stronger and stronger as it warms up, and has sublime sillage which lasts for hours. It's one of the most pleasant fragrances I've ever worn.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Eau des Merveilles is amazing. It wears incredibly well, and though it seems subtle at first, it gets stronger and stronger as it warms up...
    I noticed this pluran, when I went to a nightclub in the summertime outside here in Miami - I approached this woman who smelled incredible on the middle of the dance floor and asked her what she was wearing and she smiled and said 'Eau des Merveilles'. Ever since then, I figured out that it was the heat of the dance floor (and bodies on the dance floor) that pushed the fragrance slightly beyond the boundaries that I experience when I wear it to my air conditioned office at work.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I noticed this pluran, when I went to a nightclub in the summertime outside here in Miami - I approached this woman who smelled incredible on the middle of the dance floor and asked her what she was wearing and she smiled and said 'Eau des Merveilles'. Ever since then, I figured out that it was the heat of the dance floor (and bodies on the dance floor) that pushed the fragrance slightly beyond the boundaries that I experience when I wear it to my air conditioned office at work.
    I've also experienced this. On me, it gets stronger with time. Aren't the base and top notes inverted? Perhaps this is what was intended by the creators.

Funny they would market this heady, powerful gem as a ladies scent, while the far lighter and more delicate Un Jardin sur le Nile and Un Jardin Meditteranee as unisex. Surely Elixir des Merveilles will find far more favour with men than those two light garden scents.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried it some weeks ago. Its a soft soapy citrus scent and it wasn't SO impressive for me!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louslice View Post
    Funny they would market this heady, powerful gem as a ladies scent, while the far lighter and more delicate Un Jardin sur le Nile and Un Jardin Meditteranee as unisex. Surely Elixir des Merveilles will find far more favour with men than those two light garden scents.
    I think that because the original Eau des Merveilles was relased by Hermes BEFORE Jean Claude Ellena was the in-house perfumer (and since Mr. Ellena has a lot to do with the 'unisex' tide of scents at Hermes) that's why..?

Also - Elixir des Merveilles IMO is the most 'feminine' of the three Merveilles scents. If I had to place them in order from most feminine to most masculine I'd say it's: Elixir, Eau and then Parfum. But this does not concern me. I wear all three.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    If I had to place them in order from most feminine to most masculine I'd say it's: Elixir, Eau and then Parfum. But this does not concern me. I wear all three.
    At the same time?